Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

lola85 wrote: »
    Thirsty Monday’s and session( recession Tuesday’s) will be back soon,

I can’t get my head around how FF will be back in power.

Madness.
    I loved session Tuesdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bull****.

You meant parents not originally Irish.

Be a man and admit it.

Bit aggressive....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Bit aggressive....

It's a common tactic - deflect by implying racism and getting offended.

Nothing to do with the topic at hand though, and certainly nothing to do with why Leo V has been so useless and ineffective as both a minister and Taoiseach.

But his background (young, gay, mixed heritage) was certainly used to maximum personal effect on the wave of the SSM referendum when we were busy showing the world how progressive we are (side note, before THAT argument starts - SSM is a very good thing and an important step forward for the country, but we are a little obsessed with being "approved of' on the international stage, and Leo very cynically used that campaign to boost his own profile by publicly coming out on national radio when the polls indicated overwhelming support for a yes vote).

Far from himself representing this new future, Leo very quickly proved to be part of the old guard of politics (just with a better PR machine than most) - although I'd argue that the signs were clear to see in his performance (or more accurately, the lack thereof) in Enda's government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

To be fair the only reason that FG didn’t drive the country into 60 billion debt for generations in 2008 was because they were not in power in 2008.

FF got us into the hole. FG kept digging.

https://www.thejournal.ie/kenny-says-well-pay-our-dues-a-year-after-varadkar-said-not-another-cent-350805-Feb2012/
    EXACTLY A YEAR on from Leo Varadkar’s now infamous “not another cent” comments during the general election, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has restated that Ireland will not impose losses on bondholders.

Kenny has told Bloomberg television that Ireland will not seek any write-down on its debt and will not impose losses on bondholders.

Some might argue that FG made it worse

FF during banking crisis had little option, prop up bank or shut the whole place down, wouldn’t really look great for the American investment which has continued to pour in

It was before FF seen all the money and had no idea what to do with it, similar to everyone on the street with5 holidays a year and new cars at drop of hat

FG are now at wheel and we are back in exact same position, the only issue is we have no houses to sell for crazy money

So really the Irish people are also partly to blame, everyday a new article comes out saying we are going back to Celtic tiger but still people are queueing tipsy stupid money for tiny little houses

The difference I see betweenFF and FG is that FG seem to be incapable of delivering a single project or do anything worth noting

Remember FF in the middle of it all delivered the Good Friday agreement.....would that happen with Leo and his crew at the table?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

n97 mini wrote: »
    People have good memories, and FF won't make a comeback any time soon.

The left has become totally fragmented and has decimated the Labour party, ironically the only one with any experience running a country.

So, it's FG (plus whoever) for the foreseeable.

Are you just home from the pub.? FG will be wiped out in the next GE and they have nothing to blame but a swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The left has become totally fragmented and has decimated the Labour party, ironically the only one with any experience running a country.

Have you forgotten where you’re living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

To be fair the only reason that FG didn’t drive the country into 60 billion debt for generations in 2008 was because they were not in power in 2008.

That’s actually a good point,

They were calling for more spending.
    Probably would have ended the same.

I just hate FF but they are both cut from the same cloth.

Independents for me in the GE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Haven't you heard? Fine Gael have rebranded themselves to the Insurance Fraud Party.

IFP

I remember FF doing massive giveaway budgets during 2000-2006 where everybody did very well. FG (IFP) and Labour would come out and say they should have gone further here and there. They knew they had to criticise the budget but they felt they couldn't come out and say they were overspending. It was absolute madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

n97 mini wrote:

FF have overtaken FG in two most recent polls.
    n97 mini wrote:

Labour decimated themselves by there complete betrayal of their own support base
    n97 mini wrote:
    Apologies but this is complete delusion on your behalf.

Are you just home from the pub.? FG will be wiped out in the next GE and they have nothing to blame but a swing.

I don't think FG/IFP will get wiped out but they will lose seats.
    FG/IFP lost 16 seats in 2016. I think they'll lose another 10 seats at least bringing their total to maximum 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

FG/IFP lost 16 seats in 2016. I think they'll lose another 10 seats at least bringing their total to maximum 40.
    My prediction for what it's worth....I get the sinking feeling FF will swap roles with FG i.e. FF will be the "govt" party with FG propping them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I’ve yet to see FG drive the country into 60 billion debt for generations.

But I’m sure you will prove me wrong.

They are all the same:)

As has already been explained to you, the only reason FG didn't drive the country into 60 billion debt is because FG were lucky enough not to have been at the wheel when the crash came, if you had been following their stint in opposition at all you'd be aware that it's completely reasonable to assume we'd have been in deeper shyt had some of their policies been introduced during the boom years.

You're correct in what you're saying about them all being the same though.

FG won’t get in, even their biggest supporters are quickly losing interest

Unless they flip out Leo and bring in Coveney then they might have a chance....with Leo running the show they might as well just quit now

At last election FG where in a lot better place and couldn’t get the votes, why would you think now they could?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Anyone claiming FG are worse than or as bad as FF needs a bit of perspective. Much like calling someone a nazi online, it’s generally a massive exaggeration regardless of how inept or distasteful you find them.

Until FG get the country in such a state so as to require a bail out, creating a lifetime of debt for each and every one of us and forcing hundreds of thousands abroad in search of work, they’re no where near.

Have a brother is London? A sister in Canada? A son in Sydney? Odds are they went because FF ensured there was nothing here for them. Is the USC deducted form your salary every month? That was FF too. Think of them every time you see what it costs you. How about negative equity? Unemployment? Severe Education or Health cut backs? That along with every other result of the recession was FF.

They ****ed the country thorough ineptitude and lined their own pockets in the process, churning out Taoiseach after Taoiseach, Minister after Minister up to their eyes in corruption.

Scammers like Maria Bailey or Alan Farrell can only dream of the sort of strokes crooks like Bertie, Lawlor, Burke, Haughey, Flynn et al. pulled.

FG may be dishonest and inept but they’re only on the minor panel relative to FF’s senior inter county all stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

LiamoSail wrote:
    They ****ed the country thorough ineptitude and lined their own pockets in the process, churning out Taoiseach after Taoiseach, Minister after Minister up to their eyes in corruption.

Interesting how you forget to mention the former FG minister for communication who pretty much gifted a mobile license to FG's favourite businessman. Who Incidentally provides support for the present government.
    FG are every bit as bad as FF the only difference is they haven't had as many opportunities to f**k up as FF have had.

Interesting how you forget to mention the former FG minister for communication who pretty much gifted a mobile license to FG's favourite businessman. Who Incidentally provides support for the present government.
    FG are every bit as bad as FF the only difference is they haven't had as many opportunities to f**k up as FF have had.

Yea Lowrey’s a crook. Should be in jail.

I’m not defending FG here, just pointing out that they’ve nothing on FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That’s actually a good point,

They were calling for more spending.
    Probably would have ended the same.

I just hate FF but they are both cut from the same cloth.

Independents for me in the GE.

I completely understand the move away from the main parties, but how do you expect a coalition of independent TDs with no coherent manifesto, no stated international policies, no governmental experience and the vast majority of whom run purely on local platforms.
    To coalesce into any form of a competent government?
    How would an Oireachtas of independent TDs select a Taoiseach? Ministers? Or undertake cabinet?

The need for change is shockingly obvious, but as of yet there is no actual alternative to 1 of the main 2 in coalition.
    When the change does come, it will likely be due to a rise of SF and their entering coalition with a resurgent Labour or SD.

The Green wave, is being spun as the electorate voting for environmental policy.
    When IMO it was the obvious outcome of a protest vote.
    The SDs hamstrung themselves at the local/EU election by looking idiotic over Ellie Kisyombe.
    So it was vote Green or Independent, the Greens picked up the majority of that protest vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Anyone claiming FG are worse than or as bad as FF needs a bit of perspective. Much like calling someone a nazi online, it’s generally a massive exaggeration regardless of how inept or distasteful you find them.

Until FG get the country in such a state so as to require a bail out, creating a lifetime of debt for each and every one of us and forcing hundreds of thousands abroad in search of work, they’re no where near.

Have a brother is London? A sister in Canada? A son in Sydney? Odds are they went because FF ensured there was nothing here for them. Is the USC deducted form your salary every month? That was FF too. Think of them every time you see what it costs you. How about negative equity? Unemployment? Severe Education or Health cut backs? That along with every other result of the recession was FF.

Scammers like Maria Bailey or Alan Farrell can only dream of the sort of strokes crooks like Bertie, Lawlor, Burke, Haughey, Flynn et al. pulled.

FG may be dishonest and inept but they’re only on the minor panel relative to FF’s senior inter county all stars

It could easily be argued that FG actively made the situation worse by over-promising huge spending increases and tax cuts in the election years during the boom. Remember Enda’s ‘Sign the contract!’ for huge spending increases, practically ‘fur-coats, decking and Turkish Trabertine tiles for everyone’ just a year before the crash began. FF and the coalition had to ramp up their promises just to keep up with FG.

fgcontract07.jpg

• Advertisement

Charmeleon wrote: »
    It could easily be argued that FG actively made the situation worse by over-promising huge spending increases and tax cuts in the election years during the boom. Remember Enda’s ‘Sign the contract!’ for huge spending increases, practically ‘fur-coats, decking and Turkish Trabertine tiles for everyone’ just a year before the crash began. FF and the coalition had to ramp up their promises just to keep up with FG.

fgcontract07.jpg

Nothing on that list has been achieved. Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nothing on that list has been achieved. Dreadful.

Still waiting on the 5 point plan and the ministerial report cards as well.

What's funny about that list though is it's exactly the same rhetoric they put out every time.

You'd think a party so obsessed with spin would do reinvention better.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Still waiting on the 5 point plan and the ministerial report cards as well.

What's funny about that list though is it's exactly the same rhetoric they put out every time.

You'd think a party so obsessed with spin would do reinvention better.

No party ever keeps its promises. All the same. Frauds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Your money well spent,by sacking wasteful ministers

They won't even sack crooked ones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

FG are as bad as FF.
    Just because they haven't had the same oppotunities to be worse.

Suckit wrote: »
    FG are as bad as FF.
    Just because they haven't had the same oppotunities to be worse.

So in the last 8 years of FG being in power, where is their Liam Lawlor, Ray Burke, Charley Haighey and Bertie Ahern equivalents?

FG have done nothing on the scale of what FF did.

I’m not defending FG, and I certainly won’t give them as much as a preference as long as Maria Bailey has the whip, but to suggest that they have been or could have been as corrupt as FF is doing a disservice to the extent of the criminality FF led. The extent of FFs abuse of power should never be forgetton or downplayed to the level of FGs scammers.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    So in the last 8 years of FG being in power, where is their Liam Lawlor, Ray Burke, Charley Haighey and Bertie Ahern equivalents?

FG have done nothing on the scale of what FF did.

I’m not defending FG, and I certainly won’t give them as much as a preference as long as Maria Bailey has the whip, but to suggest that they have been or could have been as corrupt as FF is doing a disservice to the extent of the criminality FF led. The extent of FFs abuse of power should never be forgetton or downplayed to the level of FGs scammers.

You do realise the Children’s hospital and the broadband are on the scale of incompetence of those ministers you mention

Especially the children hospital when Leo grew up in the exact location it should be in

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IFP? A lot of people will drop seats in the next GE. SF, for one, will slip a few as will some of those Indos. FF are still in rebuilding mode and the challenge for them is get the right numbers up for election. For now it looks better for them. Where will they lose those 10 seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Incompetence and corruption is rife within FG. Madness to think otherwise.
    Wasn't there a councillor in Waterford handed a sentence a few momths ago for corruption?
    Michael Lowry?
    I mean, it is probably possible to go on for weeks about it, but isn't that partially what we are talking about? Stopping it in the future - Starting with now?

This whole thread is about at least one politician trying to worm a few extra quid for nothing, whilst their party holding government at the same time tell us all how they are stamping it out.

The FG politicians may not have all been caught yet, and may never be, but even if it's not on the same scale, it is still a a massive problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You do realise the Children’s hospital and the broadband are on the scale of incompetence of those ministers you mention

Especially the children hospital when Leo grew up in the exact location it should be in

They are unlikely to get too much heat for either of those because we will be getting something eventually. It is hard to argue against the need to spend on them even if the overall cost is somewhat eye-watering. On Housing and health rather more likely and of course what they do on carbon taxes in October. I also think it depends a whole lot on how the ship of state navigates the impending Boris Brexit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement