Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Suckit wrote: »
    Incompetence and corruption is rife within FG. Madness to think otherwise.
    Wasn't there a councillor in Waterford handed a sentence a few momths ago for corruption?
    Michael Lowry?
    I mean, it is probably possible to go on for weeks about it, but isn't that partially what we are talking about? Stopping it in the future - Starting with now?

This whole thread is about at least one politician trying to worm a few extra quid for nothing, whilst their party holding government at the same time tell us all how they are stamping it out.

The FG politicians may not have all been caught yet, and may never be, but even if it's not on the same scale, it is still a a massive problem.

It was the arrogance for me particularly during the Water issue when Trickle Hogan was spouting (excuse pun) his venom. They are still better than the alternatives but only just. I don’t have much time for politicians anyway as they just self serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are unlikely to get too much heat for either of those because we will be getting something eventually. It is hard to argue against the need to spend on them even if the overall cost is somewhat eye-watering. On Housing and health rather more likely and of course what they do on carbon taxes in October. I also think it depends a whole lot on how the ship of state navigates the impending Boris Brexit.

You think they won't get too much heat for selling out generations of children and parents with the complete balls up that they have made of the children's hospital. Its not about the waste and probably corruption that people are mad about its the wrong facility in the wrong location at the wrong price and it's the children of the country that will pay the price.

You keep deflecting onto ff all you like there, the ordinary people can see that the biggest problem they face right now is Fine Gael, Leo Varadkar and their incompetent running of every aspect of government. Health, housing, education broad band etc and just to top it all off scammers like Farrell and Bailey are accepted in their parliamentary party with not even a nod to decency or ethics.

Anyone But Fine Gael as someone posted earlier.

ABFG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

And lets not forget the offer Siemens made for the water meters.
    Could have saved over €450m IIRC, but Phil Hogan decided Denis O'Brien should get it.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RustyNut wrote: »
    You think they won't get too much heat for selling out generations of children and parents with the complete balls up that they have made of the children's hospital. Its not about the waste and probably corruption that people are mad about its the wrong facility in the wrong location at the wrong price and it's the children of the country that will pay the price.

You keep deflecting onto ff all you like there, the ordinary people can see that the biggest problem they face right now is Fine Gael, Leo Varadkar and their incompetent running of every aspect of government. Health, housing, education broad band etc and just to top it all off scammers like Farrell and Bailey are accepted in their parliamentary party with not even a nod to decency or ethics.

Anyone But Fine Gael as someone posted earlier.

ABFG

I'm not deflecting anything. It really must be a great sense of irritation to you that large swathes of "ordinary" voters swing between FF and FG and back. I wonder why? Could it be that the the alternatives are considered even more useless as an option? Best of luck with the "ordinary people"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

lola85 wrote: »
    a billion over spend on a hospital and a broadband contract which hasn’t been signed yet and what’s the actual issue and incompetence with it? is somehow as bad as a 60 billion debt that we have to pay 2 billion back on every year and funding was cut to everything in the country due to their incompetence.

Some exaggerations going on here, FF are a total cancer on the history of this state.

FG are bad but FF are whole different level.

Jesus it’s depressing there is no one credible left to vote for only a few independents.

In terms of incompetence perhaps, but not corruption.

I’m not saying FG aren’t corrupt, I’m saying they’re haven’t reached the heights of FF corruption. Read up on the tribunals, particularly the Gilmartim and Mahon tribunals. FG have nothing on FF. To suggest otherwise is trivializing the extent of FF’s criminality. They weren’t scamming businesses, they were stealing them whole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Interesting how you forget to mention the former FG minister for communication who pretty much gifted a mobile license to FG's favourite businessman. Who Incidentally provides support for the present government.
    FG are every bit as bad as FF the only difference is they haven't had as many opportunities to f**k up as FF have had.

As are members of SF, PBP, etc.
    The common denominator is human nature, not party politic.

Vote for the most capable decent candidate who you think will represent your constituency in the best way, irrespective of the party they belong to.

Some info on FG election selection in Dun Laoghaire.

Bailey, Mitchell O'Connor and Cllr Barry Ward were selected for a GE in June 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I think his point was that the Greens would have agreed with anything FF did just for the wee bit of power. They were guilty of aiding and abetting FF instead of being the steadying influence or watchdog the country needed. As such they were happy with the carbon tax hikes which cost motorists big time but gave them the air of importance and as such justified their existence.
    They are a clown of a party imo.

Your first sentence, can certainly apply to the Labour Party under Gilmore & burton in coalition with kenny’s fg government.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Your first sentence, can certainly apply to the Labour Party under Gilmore & burton in coalition with kenny’s fg government.

Yes. Not much difference in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

LiamoSail wrote: »
    In terms of incompetence perhaps, but not corruption.

I’m not saying FG aren’t corrupt, I’m saying they’re haven’t reached the heights of FF corruption. Read up on the tribunals, particularly the Gilmartim and Mahon tribunals. FG have nothing on FF. To suggest otherwise is trivializing the extent of FF’s criminality. They weren’t scamming businesses, they were stealing them whole

We just haven't had the tribunals into FGs corruption and dodgy dealings yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ten Pin wrote:
    Don't forget the Moriarty Tribunal report that's been gathering dust since 2011. Also note that it was due to have been published in 2010 but was delayed until March 2011 to let FG have another turn at the trough.

Enda claimed he would make it public, although expecting that clown to keep his word was naïve.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭amovingstatue

So FF are out, FG are out You could say f**k party politicians, vote independents. But independent candidates haven’t a hope of competing with the resources that a large party has.

So can SF say : Tháinig ár lá?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Anyone who thinks the Maria Bailey affair will hurt FG enough to cost them a GE is delusional. If anything will bring them down it's the much bigger rural broadband plan. €3 billion to give people in one-offs what urban dwellers don't have. But that's only if some other sizeable party objects, and so far no-one is objecting.

For a lot of voters, it's not that FG are the best... They're the least worst.

And if FF were ahead on FG in any meaningful poll, FF would pull out if the confidence and supply agreement in no time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

is_that_so wrote: »
    IFP? A lot of people will drop seats in the next GE. SF, for one, will slip a few as will some of those Indos. FF are still in rebuilding mode and the challenge for them is get the right numbers up for election. For now it looks better for them. Where will they lose those 10 seats?

Insurance Fraud Party.

They will lose at least 10 seats in the next GE.

Hopefully Farrell, Bailey and Madigan for a start.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the Maria Bailey affair will hurt FG enough to cost them a GE is delusion. If anything will bring them down it's the much bigger rural broadband plan. €3 billion to give people in one-offs what urban dwellers don't have. But that's only if some other sizeable party objects, and so far no-one is objecting.

For a lot of voters, it's not that FG are the best... They're the least worst.

And if FF were ahead on FG in any meaningful poll, FF would pull out if the confidence and supply agreement in no time.
    It's not the Maria Bailey thing on it's own. It's the way that they are dealing with it that is heightening the anger. That happening and people realising how incompetent they are, coupled with their arrogance and the highlighting of everything is definitely enough to hurt them a lot. Enough to cost them a GE? Yes, I think so, as they don't actually have to drop that much for that to happen.

It's not the Maria Bailey thing on it's own. It's the way that they are dealing with it that is heightening the anger. That happening and people realising how incompetent they are, coupled with their arrogance and the highlighting of everything is definitely enough to hurt them a lot. Enough to cost them a GE? Yes, I think so, as they don't actually have to drop that much for that to happen.

So who you gonna vote for, and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Incompetence and corruption is rife within FG. Madness to think otherwise.
    Wasn't there a councillor in Waterford handed a sentence a few momths ago for corruption?
    Michael Lowry?
    I mean, it is probably possible to go on for weeks about it, but isn't that partially what we are talking about? Stopping it in the future - Starting with now?

This whole thread is about at least one politician trying to worm a few extra quid for nothing, whilst their party holding government at the same time tell us all how they are stamping it out.

The FG politicians may not have all been caught yet, and may never be, but even if it's not on the same scale, it is still a a massive problem.

I've got to agree. Hating FG is not a good reason to vote FF.

There are alternatives. Do not be afraid of change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Anyone thinking to vote FF as a protest vote to FG please watch this video.

https://youtu.be/7rP_kiT3o2s

Both parties are filled with parasitical scum.

I would suggest that any young person reading this who has/intends to join either party really considers their reasons why....

Ethically both are bankrupt.

I've mentioned that a few times on this thread, I think even on the last page.
    I haven't a clue.
    It will be whoever I think is most capable of actually making a change and maybe start implementing them. Transparancy to see where any money is going before, during and while they are spending it.
    Maybe drop their wages too (although admittedly that is a very long shot) as it seems that's what a few of them are after, and happy with.
    Someone with a good financial background and knows how to use it, or knows who will.
    Someone who will actually stand up and hold themselves accountable if they f**k up..
    I may be asking for a lot there, but if I find a politician or a party who can convince me that they will actually do some of the above, then they'll have my vote.

It seems to me most of the issues come with the finances and us not being able to see properly where they are going. Funny that.
    Fix that and hopefully the rest will start happening.

I've mentioned that a few times on this thread, I think even on the last page.
    I haven't a clue.
    It will be whoever I think is most capable of actually making a change and maybe start implementing them. Transparancy to see where any money is going before, during and while they are spending it.
    Maybe drop their wages too (although admittedly that is a very long shot) as it seems that's what a few of them are after, and happy with.
    Someone with a good financial background and knows how to use it, or knows who will.
    Someone who will actually stand up and hold themselves accountable if they f**k up..
    I may be asking for a lot there, but if I find a politician or a party who can convince me that they will actually do some of the above, then they'll have my vote.

It seems to me most of the issues come with the finances and us not being able to see properly where they are going. Funny that.
    Fix that and hopefully the rest will start happening.

So, short answer is you don't know. In protest you could fire out a vote to some random party or person who registers a couple of percent at most. Won't stop FG. Is that a fair summation?

• Advertisement

So, short answer is you don't know. In protest you could fire out a vote to some random party or person who registers a couple of percent at most. Won't stop FG. Is that a fair summation?

No.
    I will do some more looking in to the SD's and maybe some other options in my area. It won't be some random party or person.
    I won't vote FG, and I'm pretty sure many others won't, so that may stop them/make a bug difference to their GE.
    If you are going to tell me that FG will be unaffected by all of this in the next GE, I believe the opposite.
    Time will tell either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

ABFG. Because Fine Gael have proven that they have zero ethics and that does not reflect what I want in a governing party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I’m voting greens......

No one else at present better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

n97 mini wrote:

Well two polls to-date have put FF 5 and 4 points ahead respectively ahead of FG. You keep telling yourself it means nothing, yet you suggest others are delusional. That's cute. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I’m voting greens......

I am quite confident we will see a FG Green coalition for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I’m voting greens......

They'll tax you out of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I am quite confident we will see a FG Green coalition for the next election.

Astute prediction, Paddy. Could also see SD and Labour in that mix. That’s certainly what the bookies have as favourite at the moment. Some of the lads here could boost their weekly ‘income’ by opening their coin purse and putting a bet on ‘FG being wiped out’. Had a good weekend in the bookies myself actually - 50 each way on Lowry at 40/1. Made as much as Alan Farrell did on his claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I’m voting greens......

The only outcome scarier then another FF / FG government would be the Greens getting their hands on power again.

Past actions are usually a good barometer for future fluck ups and we’ve already see the utter devastation they managed to wreak on many of us in a very short space of time.

I’ve always voted independents but we have a really strong SD councilor running next time in the GE and she’ll be getting my one and only preference.

Insurance Fraud Party.

They will lose at least 10 seats in the next GE.

Hopefully Farrell, Bailey and Madigan for a start.
    Acronyms are quite useless if you have to keep explaining them.:P
    And all I see are 3 seats, mostly I'm guessing because you want it to happen and because you imagine that other voters will think the same as you. I don't get Wallace, Podge and Rodge or Lowry yet local voters clearly do.

FG are running three in DL BTW so while Bailey might lose they could get a seat anyway. Madigan or AN other for FG looks to be a cert in Rathdown. They were at 30% share in 2016. Even a collapse to 20% would be a seat with proper vote management. As for Farrell well his seat back to the Dail looks a little bit easier now as vote-getter Clare Daly will be gone and that vote is likely to splinter.

• Advertisement

Astute prediction, Paddy. Could also see SD and Labour in that mix. That’s certainly what the bookies have as favourite at the moment. Some of the lads here could boost their weekly ‘income’ by opening their coin purse and putting a bet on ‘FG being wiped out’. Had a good weekend in the bookies myself actually - 50 each way on Lowry at 40/1. Made as much as Alan Farrell did on his claim.
    Rainbow is actually quite a solid option and has worked well enough in the past. There's no great antipathy between any of those and the Greens and Labour may have up to 15 seats between them. Scoop up a few well-behaving Indos and that's a government. All depends on how the seat totals divvy up for FG & FF.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement