Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

What this says is yes she did something wrong and we are punishing her. She is still worthy of being a valued full member of the parliamentary party however.

They have really abandoned their advertised values since Varadkar took over and I think they’ll suffer whilst it’s allowed continue. He’s not a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IT claims there's a split within FG over Leo's handling of the issue :

Maria Bailey case: ‘Fury’ in Fine Gael over Varadkar decision not to punish TD further (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/maria-bailey-case-fury-in-fine-gael-over-varadkar-decision-not-to-punish-td-further-1.3965311
    Fine Gael sources said the Taoiseach had decided against doing so for “compassionate” reasons. Ms Bailey’s father, former Fine Gael councillor John Bailey, died in recent weeks.

“In not going further by removing the whip from Deputy Bailey, I do so conscious of the devastating effect this saga has had on Deputy Bailey and her family in particular,” Mr Varadkar said.

One senior Fine Gael figure, however, said there was “fury and disbelief” at the decision, adding: “He has bottled it.”

Looks like, despite Leo's and even some here's attempts to downplay and bury this story, at least some within FG seem to be aware of how it looks to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Whoever is their media person and the couple of lackies on here, really they haven’t a f**king clue

Shows how disconnected Leo is, he still think he can spin a line, wear an expensive jacket and it will all ok.....

You got away with it for a while Leo, now people expect a leader, your not it so move on and let’s see what else is around

Brexit is no excuse not to have general election, Boris is going to make a complete balls of that on his own

Conspicuous by their absence in the last few pages.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,000 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is there any chance she could be elected after this? **** this country if she gets anywhere near it.

Look at how the locals back Lowry year after year and the growth of the Healy Rae dynasty. Anything is possible. She may even top the poll but I think FGs vote will suffer throughout the country because of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Conspicuous by their absence in the last few pages.:eek:

Trying to figure out how to tell Leo that this whoel thing has seriously back fired......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

golfball37 wrote: »
    What this says is yes she did something wrong and we are punishing her. She is still worthy of being a valued full member of the parliamentary party however.

They have really abandoned their advertised values since Varadkar took over and I think they’ll suffer whilst it’s allowed continue. He’s not a leader.

It begs the question, what are the personal qualities required to serve in the Fine Gael parliamentary party.

Honesty, ethics, morals, basic decency seem to be unnecessary when you look at the behaviour of Bailey and Farrell.

Loyalty to party and leader and a hunger to enrich oneself at any cost would seem to be what's needed.

golfball37 wrote: »

This is the problem......she is not worthy of being a valued member of the party

She was caught out this time but what other s**t have they been up to? how many other dodgy cases will pop up? or dodgy expenses?

Lea reaction just says that she has something on Leo, so if they keep digging and digging at some stage it will come out.....then the whole thing will explode

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo not punishing her due to her father dying recently is some serious cop out, presumably taken to protect Madigan.

This is going to sound harsh, but bear with me on it.

John Bailey didn't drop dead suddenly one day out of the blue, he had a terminal illness that Maria was fully aware of, up to and including his recent re-election campaign for the locals in Dun Laoghaire. Maria and Josepha hatched their cunning plan for easy cash over four years ago, I'm not sure when cllr Bailey was diagnosed with his terminal illness, but Maria had over four years to drop her scam - if not for decency reasons, then she should have done so due to her father's ill health and to avoid upsetting an very unwell man.

If (according to the Times) there's a split within the blue shirts due to Leo's lack of backbone on this, it's because leo is protecting Madigan imo.

If the three comical amigos are back from China or Killarney or the local chipper (all in the same day sometimes)and are reading this......

The media focus on Madigan and what role she played isn't going away..... Check out Twitter this morning, and lots of other media outlets.

Calls for Josepha Madigan to give fuller account of her part in ‘swing-gate’

Leo not punishing her due to her father dying recently is some serious cop out, presumably taken to protect Madigan.

This is going to sound harsh, but bear with me on it.

John Bailey didn't drop dead suddenly one day out of the blue, he had a terminal illness that Maria was fully aware of, up to and including his recent re-election campaign for the locals in Dun Laoghaire. Maria and Josepha hatched their cunning plan for easy cash over four years ago, I'm not sure when cllr Bailey was diagnosed with his terminal illness, but Maria had over four years to drop her scam - if not for decency reasons, then she should have done so due to her father's ill health and to avoid upsetting an very unwell man.

If (according to the Times) there's a split within the blue shirts due to Leo's lack of backbone on this, it's because leo is protecting Madigan imo.

If the three comical amigos are back from China or Killarney or the local chipper (all in the same day sometimes)and are reading this......

The media focus on Madigan and what role she played isn't going away..... Check out Twitter this morning, and lots of other media outlets.

Calls for Josepha Madigan to give fuller account of her part in ‘swing-gate’

We are all adults.....

If I f**ked up at work, it would not matter a relative died or not. I would get 2-3 days off and then expect to be back in office.

That's what happens in the real World. Leo is supposed to be the leader of a country. I just work for a company so Leo should be more ruthless than my company. You would expect.

If I done something which would be classed as sackable I would be sacked when I went back into the office.....I know that, my boss knows that, everyone in the company knows that

I am sory Bailey lost her father. But using that as some sort of sob story is a cop out. Personal life is personal life, business is business.

Leo should not be running the country like a playschool and is afraid to hurt someones feelings

The other question is why was Bailey allowed in the local elections if he was so ill? It was mentioned that Maria could nominate his replacement? how f**king crooked is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Can we just see the video of the fall. Maybe set up a gofundme page to pay off the inevitable lawsuit which will follow.
    Would be totally worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Look at how the locals back Lowry year after year and the growth of the Healy Rae dynasty. Anything is possible. She may even top the poll but I think FGs vote will suffer throughout the country because of this

The thing is, Lowry got/gets stuff done for the locals. Guy is as bent as a corkscrew but does get things sorted for the rurals down there and voting for him is seen as a 'sticking it to the Dubs' vote.

In Baileys case, I very much doubt she's a hands on type in her constituency. In fact, I'd say someone with an issue going to her would be considered a nuisance.

I think she'll be deselected before the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Leo copped out. It seems FG had a little more to lose than they are letting on.

"Humanity has been crossed". Should have been the headline on half a dozen papers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭mike_cork

What a massive own goal by Leo.
    A FG friend told me last night that his handling of the Bailey case again demonstrates how Leo shouldn't have been made leader ( My friend was saying a 3 month suspension from the party would have been a sufficient penalty for Bailey). There is huge discontent in the FG rank and file from what I understand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

This issue is now being discussed as the lead story on Miriam O Callaghan show on RTE Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

This issue is now being discussed as the lead story on Miriam O Callaghan show on RTE Radio 1.

I'm expecting Miriam to ask some hard, searching questions, loike. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Where are the lads who said the story was dead???

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭mike_cork

I thought the #china3 said nothing to see here?:pac:
    Are we all still cranks so?

The ones hhiding behind the desks at the moment in the office in case Leo comes in

I wonder does Leo sack anyone, or give them all a slap on wrist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The ones hhiding behind the desks at the moment in the office in case Leo comes in

He's actually the prime example of someone being able to talk the talk but not walk the walk. Countless times as a Minister he had his nose in criticizing fellow Ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Talking chyte (literally) in another thread I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Doubtful. Could imagine him bringing in a tray of donuts and saying keep up the great work lads as he merrily bounces out the door of Mount Street while Rome burns all around him and being completely oblivious to it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The way Leo tried to bury this story on a busy news day has really irked a lot of people. There is a lot of anger out there. It has added another dynamic to the fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

As many have said, Varadkar is not a leader of a nation.

For the life of me, I cannot see anyone in the FG party who could be described as national leadership material.

And don't say Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This story is not going away at all.
    It’s all over the newspapers and radio again.
    I think Leo made a blunder in how he dealt with it. He’s not nasty enough to lead country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This story is not going away at all.
    It’s all over the newspapers and radio again.
    I think Leo made a blunder in how he dealt with it. He’s not nasty enough to lead country.

Correct. If below average politicians are lying to him and running rings around him I could only imagine what the experienced politicos in London and Brussels could do in these times. We need a strong leader more than ever right now facing into huge uncertainty with Brexit, tax harmonisation etc.

He needs to step down and take the fraud squad with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Dammo

This is a clear example of how out of touch and arrogant politicians in general are.

The simplest simpleton in the village knows the “trick” of trying to bury something that makes you look bad on a busy news day at this stage. Yet they still tried it!

I’m shocked that there wasn’t footage of Bailey surrounded by party lackeys shouting ‘go on ya boy ya’. They’d probably stop short of trying to hoist her up on their shoulders for obvious reasons.

It demonstrates pure distain for the electorate.

I demand Maria Bailey does not represent us in our Dáil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I demand Maria Bailey does not represent us in our Dáil

Nothing to see here, move along now please. Look over there, Boris is PM, my god!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I can picture Varadkar when he it was filtering through that announcing Bailey's "punishment" under Boris becoming PM wasn't working..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACvFAm6JSM

Bumbling Boris is going to wipe the floor with him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement