Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

I can't believe there are over 7,000 posts in this single thread. I thought our 3-in-1 poster, thanked by his other two aliases, has been telling us on a quotidian basis that nobody is interested.

Anyway, the fact that this is still front-page news in all papers despite her father passing away very recently speaks volumes about how much worse it would be had that not happened. People rightly see the link between her actions and the wider culture that is costing us all a fortune, and putting small businesses to the wall.

When all is said and done, this Bailey-Madigan stunt highlights the cost of FG refusing steadfastly to do the wholesale legal reform which they promised in 2011 and which the troika called for as long ago as 2010. Now that more of us are aware of just how dominant lawyers are in FG, we have a better idea of the vested interests preventing a reform which would benefit us all greatly. The vested interests of the legal profession have always actively undermined Irish governments' attempts to break their closed shop.

The obscenely short hours, and the obscenely long holidays, of Irish courts are causing hurt and pain to people in this state every day. All that power to decide lives, and people must wait and wait and wait. The legal system is still serving the legal industry, not the public. That's the central point. The human cost of the luxuries of this profession is very rarely mentioned (I was speaking with a friend who has been going through the final stage of a legal separation this week and the man was in tears talking about the waiting for everything - it's like an 18th-century system in the 21st century).

All the evidence indicates that the very last place in Irish society where legal reform will come from is Fine Gael. But the human cost of not reforming needs to be far more publicised than it is. For decades the legal industry has threatened and bullied politicians and media alike into not challenging them or even getting a debate going. If the Bailey case leads to a cultural change regarding implementing legal reform/modernising the legal industry then that will be a great step forward.

UsBus wrote: »
    Either way, he wears his socks with Pride

Can we just stop being distracted by that?

I distinctly recall before the 2011 election Varadkar saying in the media that he wasn't going to give a list of people who were attending a FG fundraiser. It has always stuck with me, and I'd be much more interested in 2019 in the interaction between FG fundraising and who is getting state contracts. Follow the money, always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

'Larry, Curly and Moe' are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wonder will Michael Martin send FG a wee thank you card...'Thanks for ensuring we will complete our rehabilitation process ahead of schedule'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Top story here too :)
    Are Swings Dangerous? We Get Locked & Find Out

WITH controversial swinger Maria Bailey losing her €9,500 seat as chair of an Oireachtas committee as punishment for her misguided compensation case against the Dean Hotel, we at WWN would like to take a moment to look at the matter from Bailey’s point of view.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/07/24/are-swings-dangerous-we-get-locked-find-out/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Can we just stop being distracted by that?

Maybe if Leo wasn't so distracted by attending every other one, he might have concentrated a bit more on the job he was elected to do, although I doubt it. Easily the worst Taoiseach we have ever had..absolutely nothing achieved & a much worse off society than several years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

UsBus wrote: »
    Maybe if Leo wasn't so distracted by attending every other one, he might have concentrated a bit more on the job he was elected to do, although I doubt it. Easily the worst Taoiseach we have ever had..absolutely nothing achieved & a much worse off society than several years ago
    Every other one what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Varadkar also made sure to mention poor Maria is facing legal costs as if that is mitigation.

He is not a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Varadkar also made sure to mention poor Maria is facing legal costs as if that is mitigation.

The stupidity of that from Leo is astounding. I hope she's left with a HUGE bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Top story here too :)

That's very good! Clever.

• Advertisement

I wonder what Simon Harris thinks about the the attempted whitewash. He was pretty angry with Bailey when the story broke.

In the RDS during the election count he said it was "unfortunate" and "seemed to be more about blaming others".

Now Leo and Maria are blaming everyone else again (including the hotel) and Maria herself has not accepted responsibility. These lines from her statement yesterday are more lies;
    I note that the report by David Kennedy SC has found that this was not a fraudulent claim, and that it would be unlikely that a court would conclude that there was any attempt to mislead on my part. I made no attempt to mislead

What about the 3 months of no running??

The segment from Miriam O'Callaghan earlier today:

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11066711

Disappointed that the line of the internal report that "there was no fraud" has been accepted by RTE so readily. This seems inconsistent with the apparent acceptance of her claim was exaggerated. I don't see how an exaggerated claim is not a fraudulent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/popular-festival-oktoberfest-cancelled-in-dublin-due-to-increase-in-insurance-premium-and-irelands-claim-culture-38343037.html

Oktoberfest 2019 cancelled in Dublin due to insurance claims culture . This story is going nowhere despite what FG and several posters on here want to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/popular-festival-oktoberfest-cancelled-in-dublin-due-to-increase-in-insurance-premium-and-irelands-claim-culture-38343037.html

Oktoberfest 2019 cancelled in Dublin due to insurance claims culture . This story is going nowhere despite what FG and several posters on here want to believe

Pearse Doherty debunked the myth and showed insurance companies are gouging people by exaggerating fraudulent claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This is really going to piss people off especially the 20s to late 30s group. The event attracted young professionals working in the IFSC and around the city and was a brilliant night out.

At the rate of escalation and businesses closing dowm, you have to be fearful for the tourism and hospitality industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

You'd have to wonder if the goal of the Fine Gael party is to try and make everyone else miserable in the country by failing to govern and legislate correctly. Every time we see them on television these days they have this smug look on their faces as if to say; well, Oktoberfest 2019 does not affect me, my family, or the close circle of friends that I keep happy. Screw the rest of you.

lola85 wrote:
    Pearse Doherty debunked the myth and showed insurance companies are gouging people by exaggerating fraudulent claims.

Fair play for trying but it is too late now to try and disentangle the FG party and insurance fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

boombang wrote: »
    The segment from Miriam O'Callaghan earlier today:

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11066711

Disappointed that the line of the internal report that "there was no fraud" has been accepted by RTE so readily. This seems inconsistent with the apparent acceptance of her claim was exaggerated. I don't see how an exaggerated claim is not a fraudulent one.

Do you have greater expertise and more access to the facts than the senior legal counsel who concluded that there was no fraud?

Oktoberfest is back in 2020??

That’s seems a strange announcement to me and convenient timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is it just me or are many of the usual very vocal FG members very quiet on this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

blanch152 wrote: »
    Do you have greater expertise and more access to the facts than the senior legal counsel who concluded that there was no fraud?

How do you know what the senior council found? Have you seen the report?

I don't see how I need more facts or expertise. If a claim is exaggerated it seems necessarily to be fraudulent. If you have access to senior legal counsel maybe you can tell me why it wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How do you know what the senior council found? Have you seen the report?

I think they are talking about the person who was in charge of the whitewashing investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

lola85 wrote: »
    Oktoberfest is back in 2020??

That’s seems a strange announcement to me and convenient timing.

I guess they are hoping the FG fcuktards will actually do their job and legislate to have the industry fixed by then.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I guess they are hoping the FG fcuktards will actually do their job and legislate to have the industry fixed by then.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

where does it say that in the report? oh wait, we dont know because FG want to keep it secret. We do know that she exaggerated her claim i.e. she made it out to be worse than it was. and in a document that she swore contained the truth. and she did it for financial gain. how is that not fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I suggest you go have a Google of the definition of fraud.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are many of the usual very vocal FG members very quiet on this thread?

The last 24 hours has been rather unforgiving for spin merchant(s). Withered under the illuminating glare of the national media. "Nothing to see here, people have moved on" has been replaced by "check out what I deposited in the bowl" over on AH.

blanch152 wrote:

Have you seen the report?

• Advertisement

Earlier this month, Deputy Commissioner John Twomey, Chief Superintendent Pat Lordan and Andrew McLindon, director of communications at An Garda Síochána attended a meeting of the Joint Committee on Finance, Public Expenditure and Reform.

During the meeting, Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty asked those present about the difference between fraud and exaggerated claims.

Chief Superintendent Lordan said he believes there is no difference and also went on to say that claims believed to be exaggerated and defined as fraud should, by law, be reported to the gardai by people in the know.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/07/24/reporting-exaggerated-claims/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement