Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,539 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I see silly season is in full swing here... The curtains drawn and lads spewing bile and vitriol throughout the sunny day.

I'm enjoying the fine weather up in glenties. Listening to positive and constructive messages emanating from the Magill summer school on the progressive policies of FG. The climate action plan, the NBP which will deliver high speed broadband to every home. The vibrant and flourishing economy. A positively energising atmosphere here. Won't be posting here with the cranks, loons and ne'er do wells.

Just had a wonderful meal of fresh seafood and looking forward to sinking a few pints this evening with the party faithful and discussing the more important and pressing political issues facing our great nation.

Did Leo write that list on your arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Dammo

Pintman Paddy, men want to be him, women want to be with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I see silly season is in full swing here... The curtains drawn and lads spewing bile and vitriol throughout the sunny day.

I'm enjoying the fine weather up in glenties. Listening to positive and constructive messages emanating from the Magill summer school on the progressive policies of FG. The climate action plan, the NBP which will deliver high speed broadband to every home. The vibrant and flourishing economy. A positively energising atmosphere here. Won't be posting here with the cranks, loons and ne'er do wells.

Just had a wonderful meal of fresh seafood and looking forward to sinking a few pints this evening with the party faithful and discussing the more important and pressing political issues facing our great nation.

Indeed.
    Enjoy your time in the sun, for it is fleeting, and soon back to the shadows you will go.

Straining with indifference. "Won't be posting here..." The umpteenth idle threat, which you have no intention of honouring. Not while stewing with righteous fury that you cannot control the narrative in this thread. Time to retire the humiliating caricature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Good to know one of the 3 stooges is ok, any word on the other 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nice one, Paddy! Hitting any of the golf clubs up there? Go easy on the porter as well - I know you have a lip for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I see this controversy has made it on to the BBC news, some achievement for those hoping it would die off.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49091254

Fcuk, what must we look like to the outside world anyway?

Will be writing to my local FG TD to let them know they’ve lost any chance ever of a vote from me over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Well the Germans are scratching their heads at the claim culture here, hence why October fest has been cancelled. Imagine when they hear members of the ruling party were involved in fraudulent claims .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

I see this controversy has made it on to the BBC news, some achievement for those hoping it would die off.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49091254

I guarantee, that when it comes down to the wire with Boris over the back stop, he will use it to discredit Irish Politician's......given his previous comments, it's grist to the Boris mill.:(

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    I guarantee, that when it comes down to the wire with Boris over the back stop, he will use it to discredit Irish Politician's......given his previous comments, it's grist to the Boris mill.:(

Possible alright, they got this in anyway.
    The case was embarrassing for the government which has been critical of vexatious claims that have resulted in very high insurance premiums.

She dropped the compensation claim in May after it emerged that she had run a 10km race in under an hour, only three weeks after the fall, despite claiming in court documents that she could not run in the three months after the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-orders-taxi-drivers-injury-claim-that-misled-solicitors-and-wasted-court-time-be-considered-for-prosecution-38342279.html

Much more of this please from our judiciary. Judge recommends that fraudulent claim is sent forward for prosecution to the DPP.

Which means nothing.

Nothing will happen, there will be no prosecution.

If a fraud is got and he/she is not a mark (i.e. has no assets) there is no downside, no social welfare reduction, no jail. Shame wouldn't even been a consideration.

A soundbite for the masses.

In that case AIG probably spent 20k plus defending it and investigating the Plaintiff. Not a hop of getting it back and he'll pull the handle again first chance he gets.

Which means nothing.

Nothing will happen, there will be no prosecution.

If a fraud is got and he/she is not a mark (i.e. has no assets) there is no downside, no social welfare reduction, no jail. Shame wouldn't even been a consideration.

A soundbite for the masses.

In that case AIG probably spent 20k plus defending it and investigating the Plaintiff. Not a hop of getting it back and he'll pull the handle again first chance he gets.

Yes that's very true,,,,,,BUT what about his legal team??? Will they get paid? Because, if due to the present backlash, more and more claims are being kicked out,,, then Solicitors will start being a lot more selective in which cases they take on if they are losing money....and this will be the quickest way to reduce the Nr of claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yes that's very true,,,,,,BUT what about his legal team??? Will they get paid? Because, if due to the present backlash, more and more claims are being kicked out,,, then Solicitors will start being a lot more selective in which cases they take on if they are losing money....and this will be the quickest way to reduce the Nr of claims.

The solicitors dont give a s**t.....they wont get selective......get as many as possible in front of judge and bound to hit a few

Till the judges stop this wont stop.....they are the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

One would imagine that the plaintiff's legal team should have noticed that the dates on the invoices predated the incident. Not very diligent to miss those important details.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    One would imagine that the plaintiff's legal team should have noticed that the dates on the invoice predated the incident. Not very diligent to miss those important details.

Yes, and the recent case where the Solicitor forgot that he had represented th claimant in a similar previous case,,,,,,until the insurance company reminded him.. My fault, your Honour, slipped my mind completely...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can we just stop being distracted by that?

I distinctly recall before the 2011 election Varadkar saying in the media that he wasn't going to give a list of people who were attending a FG fundraiser. It has always stuck with me, and I'd be much more interested in 2019 in the interaction between FG fundraising and who is getting state contracts. Follow the money, always.

Leo won't be giving a list of names of people who are at a Fine Gael fundraiser but luckily we have the Phoenix magazine to fill us in on what Fine Gael are getting up to behind closed doors. Their most recent fundraiser was held just a few weeks ago on June 21st in the Sussey Street restaurant. It was a fundraiser for the legal profession to donate to Fine Gael. The cost was €600 for Senior Counsel and €400 for Junior Counsel.
    Originally by Phoenix magazine

Goldhawk is not so cynical as to believe that donating to FG would secure promotion of any sort and certainly not to any judicial post. I mean, really. Goldhawk has no reservation, therefore, in providing the full list of barristers whose party and national patriotism is reflected in hard currency via their attendance at the fundraiser.

Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan headined a table with Michael Kilfeather,Patrick Leonard, Francis Meenan, Michael Binchy, Martin Fitzgerald, Conor Lehane, Frank Callinan, Conor Bourke and Patrick McCann.

At junior Minister Michael D'arcy's table were James Cross, Elizabeth Donavan, Patrick McGrath, Garret Cooney, Niall o'Driscoll, Jarlath Ryan, Terance Coughlan, Rossa Fanning and John Ferry.

The article then goes on to list a further 31 barristers who were at the other three tables but clearly not important enough to share a table with a Fine Gael Minister.

There you have it folks, Fine Gael deep in bed with the legal profession whilst we pay some of the highest legal fees anywhere in the western world. Keep an eye out for the upcoming judicial appointments and see how many of those names from Charlie Flanagans table make it to be judge, if you're not in you can't win ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Leo won't be giving a list of names of people who are at a Fine Gael fundraiser but luckily we have the Phoenix magazine to fill us in on what Fine Gael are getting up to behind closed doors. Their most recent fundraiser was held just a few weeks ago on June 21st in the Sussey Street restaurant. It was a fundraiser for the legal profession to donate to Fine Gael. The cost was €600 for Senior Counsel and €400 for Junior Counsel.

The article then goes on to list a further 31 barristers who were at the other three tables but clearly not important enough to share a table with a Fine Gael Minister.

There you have it folks, Fine Gael deep in bed with the legal profession whilst we pay some of the highest legal fees anywhere in the western world. Keep an eye out for the upcoming judicial appointments and see how many of those names from Charlie Flanagans table make it to be judge, if you're not in you can't win ;)

Wow. That is so so wrong on many levels. It's scary how bad it has become. Red rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It is scary how so much of the main stream Irish media prefer to report on sport and reality TV shows instead of stuff like this that actually affects everyone's real life.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Do you have greater expertise and more access to the facts than the senior legal counsel who concluded that there was no fraud?

Good auld blanch, always reliable to put his foot in it regarding FG. :D
    while Ms Bailey's claim "was not fraudulent" she "overstated the impact of her injuries" in an affidavit and had been told she faced "contributory negligence" for what happened

Over stated.
    overstate
    /əʊvəˈsteɪt/
    Learn to pronounce
    verb
    state too strongly; exaggerate.
    "I overstated my case to make my point"

Meanwhile.
    The law, the Civil Liability and Courts Act 2004, under sections 14 and 25, makes it a criminal offence to invent accidents, feign injuries, or exaggerate elements of either

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/31/enacted/en/html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Our whole political system needs to be looked at.

1. We don't need a Seaned.
    2. We don't need a President.
    3. We don't need as many TDs as we have.
    4. Ministerial appointments need to be made on the criteria of suitability for the post and we don't need junior ministers.
    5. The pay rates for Ministers, Tanaiste and Taoiseach need to be lowered.
    6. The pensions for former TDs and Ministers needs to be lowered.
    7. Chauffeur and security needs to be removed from former Taoiseach's.
    8. If you break the law your state funded pension is stopped for life.
    9. Whenever the Dail is sitting full attendance is required.
    10. Stop funeral attendance money for politicians.
    11. Stop attending funeral's just to be seen. It's insulting to the grieving family.
    12. Stop TDs hiring family members to their staff.
    13. Stop local government or national political office from being a hand me down from one family generation to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ivan's going to be talking about the swing gate in a few mins on Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

holyhead wrote: »

4. Ministerial appointments need to be made on the criteria of suitability for the post and we don't need junior ministers.
    11. Stop attending funeral's just to be seen. It's insulting to the grieving family.
    13. Stop local government or national political office from being a hand me down from one family generation to the next.

You've got my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If that’s true then it’s very scary.
    I can’t understand why a Barrister is expected to attend never mind contribute a large sum of money. I always said that judges and Garda Commissioners should be independent appointments.

Agree with your post but what do you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I thought this was common knowledge and have been aware of such gatherings for a few years now. They hold fundraising breakfasts at the Shelborne hotel often enough.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I thought this was common knowledge and have been aware of such gatherings for a few years now. They hold fundraising breakfasts at the Shelborne hotel often enough.

News to me.

Why aren't dodgy practices like this brought up in election debates?

Originally by Phoenix magazine

Goldhawk is not so cynical as to believe that donating to FG would secure promotion of any sort and certainly not to any judicial post. I mean, really. Goldhawk has no reservation, therefore, in providing the full list of barristers whose party and national patriotism is reflected in hard currency via their attendance at the fundraiser.

Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan headined a table with Michael Kilfeather,Patrick Leonard, Francis Meenan, Michael Binchy, Martin Fitzgerald, Conor Lehane, Frank Callinan, Conor Bourke and Patrick McCann.

At junior Minister Michael D'arcy's table were James Cross, Elizabeth Donavan, Patrick McGrath, Garret Cooney, Niall o'Driscoll, Jarlath Ryan, Terance Coughlan, Rossa Fanning and John Ferry.

Wow, just wow. That's gold dust. Post of the thread. Terrifying how cosy they all are together; rest assured, we'll be paying for this via FG's refusal to reform the legal industry. Goldhawk/Paddy Prendiville has done us all some service with that list (as have you).

Interesting on the Tonight Show that Willie O'Dea described Leo's statement as 'his interpretation of the report'. He reckons it is full of holes and questions.

• Advertisement

You've got my vote, if you add decentralise Ireland so that Athlone/Galway/Limerick/Cork/Waterford etc become serious urban centres and the pressure is taken off Dublin and the east coast. The cause of so many problems in modern Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement