Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Leo won't be giving a list of names of people who are at a Fine Gael fundraiser but luckily we have the Phoenix magazine to fill us in on what Fine Gael are getting up to behind closed doors. Their most recent fundraiser was held just a few weeks ago on June 21st in the Sussey Street restaurant. It was a fundraiser for the legal profession to donate to Fine Gael. The cost was €600 for Senior Counsel and €400 for Junior Counsel.

The article then goes on to list a further 31 barristers who were at the other three tables but clearly not important enough to share a table with a Fine Gael Minister.

There you have it folks, Fine Gael deep in bed with the legal profession whilst we pay some of the highest legal fees anywhere in the western world. Keep an eye out for the upcoming judicial appointments and see how many of those names from Charlie Flanagans table make it to be judge, if you're not in you can't win ;)

Is this available online anywhere muh, or do I have to wait until the morning to get a hardcopy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Agree with your post but what do you mean by this?

It’s my understanding that politicians can claim expenses for attending a funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

holyhead wrote: »

It’s my understanding that politicians can claim expenses for attending a funeral

Any other scoops you'd like to share with us?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Any other scoops you'd like to share with us?

Is this sincere or sarcasm? I only found out about the funeral craic when I attended my Uncles funeral and a prominent politician came to sympathize

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Is this sincere or sarcasm? I only found out about the funeral craic when I attended my Uncles funeral and a prominent politician came to sympathize

Google scoop.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Google scoop.

However we know I think it is scandalous they can claim for attending a funeral. They earn 89k per annum which equates to over 1600 euros per week. Expenses for travel also needs to be looked at as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is this available online anywhere muh, or do I have to wait until the morning to get a hardcopy?

Its on the Phoenix website but behind a paywall. Would well recommend anyone spending €3 a fortnight on the magazine, its the only media outlet in Ireland where you find out what is truly going on behind the scenes in Irish politics and all the TDs themselves read it for these reasons. What a lot of people don't know is that the articles are written by Dail journalists who work for the IT, SBP, Sunday Times, etc but who are moonlighting for the Phoenix. The editors of the mainstream Irish media wouldn't touch these kinds of stories but the Phoenix will so the political correspondents freelance, it gives them a few quid and allows them to reveal political stories that their editors won't publish.

Anyway here you go

[IMG][/img]url]https://ibb.co/0qPDdjL[/urlFGFundraiser1.jpg

[IMG][/img]url]https://ibb.co/5sbG04N[/urlFGFundraiser.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

4. Ministerial appointments need to be made on the criteria of suitability for the post and we don't need junior ministers.

If we had the first part of this, it would be worth having the second part.

If ministers aren't selected on the basis of having qualifications and experience relevant to their portfolio industry and a decade of real management experience, they shouldn't be in there.
    Career politicians are killing the democratic experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Mango Joe wrote: »
    .....Give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.....

There were only two ropes on that swing but so far Leo, Josepha and Maria have managed to very clearly demonstrate the vacuous nature of their moral standing and suffered massive credibility damage that will be remembered forever.

Three aloof, ignorant and thoroughly odious people who have seriously underestimated the disgust held by decent people on the circumstances of this issue.

I sincerely hope that pressure is maintained here until justice prevails.

I would also say that the Bailey controversy has reignited interest in the Farrell charade also.

AF can’t be too happy about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Surprised that anyone is surprised that politicians and all the "professional classes" are all cosy with each other.

Isn't that what FF were up to during the Celtic Tiger with bankers, developers, auctioneers etc. In fact that's how the country has been run for a long time, it's no coincidence that vulture funds pay little tax and some large corporations pay less tax than some small businesses pay in insurance premiums.

That's the crux of all the major issues facing the country, the insiders in the Golden Circle are all scratching each others backs while standing on the citizens necks.

Meanwhile the voters cheer them on as they would their local GAA team and wonder why insurance costs are so high for the kids summer camp.

Im not sure you understand what happened during the Tiger.....

Unfortuneatly FF where not part of the Golden Circle, hence why when the whole thing fell apart they had no idea what was going on

Of course they pushed these developers up and they helped push the housing market up sothese guys made huge money but in reality FF and the Central Bank where asleep at the wheel and didn't have a clue what was going on......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Im not sure you understand what happened during the Tiger.....

Unfortuneatly FF where not part of the Golden Circle, hence why when the whole thing fell apart they had no idea what was going on

Of course they pushed these developers up and they helped push the housing market up sothese guys made huge money but in reality FF and the Central Bank where asleep at the wheel and didn't have a clue what was going on......

Well that a blatant lie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/brian-cowen-met-sean-fitzpatrick-in-home-of-anglo-director-fintan-drury-31501471.html

Former Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Anglo Irish Bank's then chairman Sean FitzPatrick met in the private home of Anglo's former non-executive director Fintan Drury before their famous golf outing in 2008, it has emerged at the Banking Inquiry.

No way are FF getting off so lightly by people here.

I would also say that the Bailey controversy has reignited interest in the Farrell charade also.

AF can’t be too happy about this.

AF looks like a nasty piece of work.

Full of self importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

If we had the first part of this, it would be worth having the second part.

If ministers aren't selected on the basis of having qualifications and experience relevant to their portfolio industry and a decade of real management experience, they shouldn't be in there.
    Career politicians are killing the democratic experiment.

You only have to look at the state of the health service, cervical screening scandal etc and then look at Simon Harris and what qualifications, experience he has to know that this is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You only have to look at the state of the health service, cervical screening scandal etc and then look at Simon Harris and what qualifications, experience he has to know that this is a fact.

To be fair it wasnt any better when a doctor was minister for health.

To be fair it wasnt any better when a doctor was minister for health.

It’s never ever been a good service in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

2 years as a Junior Minister before being appointed to one of the most challenging portfolios... I don't think he has any executive \ administrative skills or experience either in politics or real world.

He might be ok in a House of Representatives type setup as a legislator, but totally out of his depth at the moment even more so than any previous incumbent.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

lola85 wrote: »
    Well that a blatant lie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/brian-cowen-met-sean-fitzpatrick-in-home-of-anglo-director-fintan-drury-31501471.html

Former Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Anglo Irish Bank's then chairman Sean FitzPatrick met in the private home of Anglo's former non-executive director Fintan Drury before their famous golf outing in 2008, it has emerged at the Banking Inquiry.

No way are FF getting off so lightly by people here.

Read the article you just posted

The controversial game took place in Druids Glen on July 23, 2008 just months after a catastrophic collapse of Anglo Irish Bank shares.

The ship had sailed at that point.....

P.S Fitzpatrick wasn't part of the Golden Circle....that was a group of builders etc including Quinn who Anglo bank rolled.....

FF are not getting off lightly, but if you are going to accuse them of something at least understand what they done wrong.....in 2008 the gig was up....

It was from 2000-2008 when the money was flowing in and both Central Bank and Government got warned it would be a disaster and they done nothing, instead of trying to slow the housing boom they put fuel on it. Instead of stopping 100% mortgages that people would never be able to afford they pushed more and more. Bank staff got huge bonuses for handing out mortgage that people would never be able to repay.....

All of this ended up with the mess. But the biggest part was Anglo handing builder loads to build houses etc but they had nothing behind it, so when they couldnt pay those loans the government had no asset to recovery the loans.....

That's a light touch of what went on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

odyssey06 wrote: »
    2 years as a Junior Minister before being appointed to one of the most challenging portfolios... I don't think he has any executive \ administrative skills or experience either in politics or real world.

He might be ok in a House of Representatives type setup as a legislator, but totally out of his depth at the moment even more so than any previous incumbent.

That he hasnt been relieved of his duties yet is quite astounding.

Brian Hayes put in a dismal performance last night with Yates, shamelessly trying to defend the indefensible.

Tried his best to shill on behalf of Madigan, hiding behind her client/solicitor confidentiality clause as to why Madigan shouldn't have to give a comprehensive account of her involvement.

Wasn't great at dodging the curve ball thrown at him when he was reminded that Madigan already gave Kennedy a full account of her involvement in the case, presumably with Bailey's permission, and there was zero stopping the two of them reaching the same agreement in order to pave way for Madigan to set out her stall and exonerate herself if she could.

He (Hayes) also tried to imply that Madigan was off the hook over this as she had handed the file to a different lawyer in the firm, but looked like a rabbit in the headlamps when reminded that she didn't leave the firm until a full two years after the incident.

Bailey said in her interview that she was advised that she had a clear cut case, + Madigan clarifying she initiated the process and gave the legal advice in the beginning = Bailey hanging Madigan out to dry.

They're after making some balls of this attempted fraud and it's subsequent cover up.

Ignore the lads at the baiting and goading, they have nothing in the reserve to throw back at this one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Brian Hayes put in a dismal performance last night with Yates, shamelessly trying to defend the indefensible.

Tried his best to shill on behalf of Madigan, hiding behind her client/solicitor confidentiality clause as to why Madigan shouldn't have to give a comprehensive account of her involvement.

Wasn't great at dodging the curve ball thrown at him when he was reminded that Madigan already gave Kennedy a full account of her involvement in the case, presumably with Bailey's permission, and there was zero stopping the two of them reaching the same agreement in order to pave way for Madigan to set out her stall and exonerate herself if she could.

He (Hayes) also tried to imply that Madigan was off the hook over this as she had handed the file to a different lawyer in the firm, but looked like a rabbit in the headlamps when reminded that she didn't leave the firm until a full two years after the incident.

Bailey said in her interview that she was advised that she had a clear cut case, + Madigan clarifying she initiated the process and gave the legal advice in the beginning = Bailey hanging Madigan out to dry.

They're after making some balls of this attempted fraud and it's subsequent cover up.

Ignore the lads at the baiting and goading, they have nothing in the reserve to throw back at this one. :D

Great summation of whats going on here.

The handling of the whole incident has turned a relative mole hill into a mountain now.
    The next general election will be within 12 months,probably alot sooner- This bailey/madigan thing will cost votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

lola85 wrote: »
    It’s never ever been a good service in this country.

It's not going to get much better when the person in charge has nothing but an average leaving cert and no other relevant qualifications whatsoever.

I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of paper qualifications if there was some relevant experience that showed a great ability for the job but he has nothing but a brass neck.

mike_cork wrote: »

Leo trying to imply that a tail wags it's dog.
    He said that Ms Bailey had been advised about contributory negligence. He said "solicitors only act on their client's instructions".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Oh I'd love to see Josepha Madigan fall on her sword for Leo.

- Sure doesn't she want to take up full time religious ministry as the holiest priest in her local parish?

I couldn't think of a mindset or ideology less fitting for todays Ireland than this idiotic ethos.

https://www.thejournal.ie/culture-minister-josepha-madigan-mass-4090879-Jun2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats a ridiculous statement by Leo, he is now saying even if a solicitor suspects a frivilous claim they still have to go ahead and do what their client tells them. They do not.

Seems the Indo have a serious hard on for Madigan now
    The Culture Minister has refused to answer a series of questions sent to her office by the Irish Independent, including one asking her to outline the nature of the legal advice she gave to Ms Bailey. A spokesman responded, saying: "We won't be adding anything to the Fine Gael statement [on Mr Kennedy's report]."

Madigan is skating on a frozen lake and the sun is shining brightly. All it takes is one leak on her and this scandal will blow up into a full blown crisis. I'd say Mother Madigan is absolutely sh1tting herself right now because since Leo tried to bury the report the media haven't let up. This isnt going the way his spin merchants wanted it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's not going to get much better when the person in charge has nothing but an average leaving cert and no other relevant qualifications whatsoever.

I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of paper qualifications if there was some relevant experience that showed a great ability for the job but he has nothing but a brass neck.
    It is depressing alright. He even dropped out of college to pursue politics.
    It's very Irish when someone with so little educational/work-life experience can hold one of the most important briefs in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Does anyone know who was in Bailey’s company when she fell off the swing?

mike_cork wrote: »
    Great summation of whats going on here.

The handling of the whole incident has turned a relative mole hill into a mountain now.
    The next general election will be within 12 months,probably alot sooner- This bailey/madigan thing will cost votes.

It was a mole hill....then grew because Bailey was a bit slow and done interview. IN said interview she threw Madigan under the bus....

Instead of dealing with it then Leo the idiot decided on an investigation, which he later admits it was a private one.

Didn't help contacting the paper and asking them to reveal the sources, another idiot move

Then when that doesn't stop he decides he will finally have to do something, then does the minimum while also doing his own version of Baileys first interview and pointing the finger at anyone and everything

Really we thought the PR clown that brought Bailey into RTE in first place was bad, has he ran the whole thing from start to finish?????

Really why FG didn't just throw Bailey out day one and this would be over with, they are so far down the line now they can't throw her out because they would then have to throw out Madigan......

Really you couldn't make this sh*t up if you tried.....the most incompedent shower of idiots in Ireland.....and to think we slag off the UK/US for having buffons running the country, we should look closer to home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It was a mole hill....then grew because Bailey was a bit slow and done interview. IN said interview she threw Madigan under the bus....

Instead of dealing with it then Leo the idiot decided on an investigation, which he later admits it was a private one.

Didn't help contacting the paper and asking them to reveal the sources, another idiot move

Then when that doesn't stop he decides he will finally have to do something, then does the minimum while also doing his own version of Baileys first interview and pointing the finger at anyone and everything

Really we thought the PR clown that brought Bailey into RTE in first place was bad, has he ran the whole thing from start to finish?????

Really why FG didn't just throw Bailey out day one and this would be over with, they are so far down the line now they can't throw her out because they would then have to throw out Madigan......

Really you couldn't make this sh*t up if you tried.....the most incompedent shower of idiots in Ireland.....and to think we slag off the UK/US for having buffons running the country, we should look closer to home

And we'll all watch in horror when they are returned at the next election.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous statement by Leo, he is now saying even if a solicitor suspects a frivilous claim they still have to go ahead and do what their client tells them. They do not.

Seems the Indo have a serious hard on for Madigan now

Madigan is skating on a frozen lake and the sun is shining brightly. All it takes is one leak on her and this scandal will blow up into a full blown crisis. I'd say Mother Madigan is absolutely sh1tting herself right now because since Leo tried to bury the report the media haven't let up. This isnt going the way his spin merchants wanted it to.

Correct.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement