Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Does anyone know who was in Bailey’s company when she fell off the swing?

I'm sure it will be in the report, so we will just have to wait until it's leaked, or whoever spills the beans first, Ave Maria or Mother Madigan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It is depressing alright. He even dropped out of college to pursue politics.
    It's very Irish when someone with so little educational/work-life experience can hold one of the most important briefs in Irish politics.

The Netherlands had a minister of defence who went to Schoevers (secretary school).
    Her education is so minimal, it doesnt even appear on her wiki-page.
    She had to resign after a few soldiers died while on tour in mali and now she is something or the other at the UN.

Dont for a second think Ireland is unique in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭mike_cork

I'm sure it will be in the report, so we will just have to wait until it's leaked, or whoever spills the beans first, Ave Maria or Mother Madigan.

Purely a gut feeling (I am not a conspiracy theorist!!) - But i think the report/video is being kept out of the papers for now.... and will be released at a more opportune time when it can do maximum damage i.e. in the runup to an election.

mike_cork wrote: »
    Purely a gut feeling (I am not a conspiracy theorist!!) - But i think the report/video is being kept out of the papers for now.... and will be released at a more opportune time when it can do maximum damage i.e. in the runup to an election.

I sincerely hope so.

Leo must be touching cloth at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This is what Leo said...

Speaking to RTÉ, he said: "She gave initial legal advice and assisted with the initial application to the Personal Injuries Assessment Board but was not involved with the litigation of the case after that.

"She [Bailey] was advised she could be found contributorily negligent because of her own actions. Solicitors act on their clients' instructions - they only give advice. I get advice all the time, but ultimately I am responsible for the decisions I make.
    "

So Bailey originally said she was given legal advice to go forward with the case....can't remember exact words from interview but she more or less said she only went forward with it after legal advice

Now Madigan is saying she told Bailey the case was dodgy

So which of the two clowns is telling the truth?

Leo should take some legal advice as well.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Surely a large part of this is down to how FF want FG to limp on longer before really putting the boot in. FF won't want to go for FG before brexit is achieved (self-inflicted), so they will be happy to have this slowly drip away at FG without going for the sucker punch. If the issue is still live come election time, then maybe Micheal Martin might be in the mood to resurrect the topic, draw Madigan and Farrell in and go for the jugular. I think FF have been relatively soft to date and it makes me think of a cat toying with a injured mouse.

boombang wrote: »
    Surely a large part of this is down to how FF want FG to limp on longer before really putting the boot in. FF won't want to go for FG before brexit is achieved (self-inflicted), so they will be happy to have this slowly drip away at FG without going for the sucker punch. If the issue is still live come election time, then maybe Micheal Martin might be in the mood to resurrect the topic, draw Madigan and Farrell in and go for the jugular. I think FF have been relatively soft to date and it makes me think of a cat toying with a injured mouse.

I'd be of the same opinion. Plus the indo seems to know alot about whats in the report & their renewed attack on Madigan suggests to me they have more dirt to come....which they will drip feed into the public arena. I could be completely wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

As Napoleon said "never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Has anybody been left with the impression that the Irish Times has been very soft on Maria Bailey and Leo's handling of her?

I don't like the Indo (I think it's low-brow), but they're doing excellent public interest journalism here (whatever the motivation). By comparison I think the IT haven't really engaged on the topic much. I know it's been the Indo's scoop, but that's not to stop the IT coming in later.

For example, I listened to the Irish Times Inside Politics podcast which featured 8 short minutes on Bailey and Harry McGee and Jennifer Bray were very sympathetic to the cretin. Is there a pro FG/Leo bias at the IT that's so close to the surface that it can be seen here?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If the issue is still live come election time, then maybe Micheal Martin might be in the mood to resurrect the topic, draw Madigan and Farrell in and go for the jugular. I think FF have been relatively soft to date and it makes me think of a cat toying with a injured mouse.

Insurance costs will most certainly be an election issue and Fine Gael as a party are now inextricably linked to fraudulent insurance claims. People who have never had a claim in their life are seething at their car insurance doubling over the last five years. People running small and medium businesses are raging at the very party they voted for who are now hanging them out to dry.

Come election time insurance costs is going to be a hot topic and Fine Gael and Leo personally has lost all credibility in his efforts to solve the problem when his own colleagues are a part of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Possibly her Swing "Doctor" Josepha Madigan

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Come election time insurance costs is going to be a hot topic and Fine Gael and Leo personally has lost all credibility in his efforts to solve the problem when his own colleagues are a part of the problem.

If they were appropriately dealt with he might have saved some face but he chose to keep them in the parliamentary party.

The reality and the optics of having insurance fraudsters in his team will cost them dearly come the general election, whenever it is.

FF are afraid to call an election, simple as that.

They have had more chances over the last few months but instead of calling election they stick up little videos on facebook. Under all of them people asking for them to pull out of government but they won't.....

Mostly because they can see Brexit blowing up and they get pulled up for calling electionat the same time as Brexit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

10/11 BFF Kate o'Connell
    7/4 Irelands first female priest Mother Madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Shefwedfan wrote: »

It would be monumentally stupid for either party to call a GE now.

Bozo just guaranteed Britain will be out on the 31st of October.

The EU council are not meeting again until the 12th of October and it's holiday time for politicians across Europe.

So you can draw your own conclusions from that.

The clown is either bullshíttíng or he will press the nuke button if parliament let him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Where is Minister Madigan hiding these days? I am sure the press corp have many questions to pounce on her. Is she out of the country?

Where is Minister Madigan hiding these days? I am sure the press corp have many questions to pounce on her. Is she out of the country?

She's in Donegal today with the rest of cabinet...Last cabinet meeting before summer.
    Hugh O'Connell from the Indo asked Madigan this morn for more info on her involvement in the Bailey issue...She in his words "stonewalled" him.

His tweet here
    https://mobile.twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1154345357163339776

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have a niggling feeling that Madigan was actually present when the incident happened. Just a gut feeling.

Edit.

I see others have the same gut feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

To be fair it wasnt any better when a doctor was minister for health.

Which one ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Shefwedfan wrote: »

They have had more chances over the last few months but instead of calling election they stick up little videos on facebook. Under all of them people asking for them to pull out of government but they won't.....

Mostly because they can see Brexit blowing up and they get pulled up for calling electionat the same time as Brexit.....

Also, I think it's reasonable to hope for Martin that things will get worse for FG over the coming months. His dream scenario is to form a government not in hock to FG or SF. Unlikely they would be able to do that on current figures but a few more points up and they'd be there or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

keano_afc wrote: »
    That he hasnt been relieved of his duties yet is quite astounding.

Sure its next to impossible to get sacked from this shower ar the minute.

I have a niggling feeling that Madigan was actually present when the incident happened. Just a gut feeling.

Edit.

The video will certainly come out at some point when it suits someone's agenda. We'll all get to see what Bailey and Madigan thought was worth up to 60 grand and who was with her at the time.

Edit.

The whole country has that niggling feeling :p

Edit.

Ah Tayto, did you miss my hypothetical scenario from earlier in the thread?

Where's the fcuking report lads..........?

The lack of action on Bailey, and clarification on the report means people will have to fill in the blank's, and surmise for themselves.

Here's one possible scenario I've envisaged.

Kate O'Connell, Josepha Madigan and Maria Bailey leave Sandyford on the Luas, tanked up to fcuk, Bailey and Madigan each supping from a can of devils bit cider, Kate swigging from a naggin of Bacardi that she's premixed with coke zero because calories etc, girls got her figure to mind.

They arrive at the Dean, where they immediately harangue the bartender that "service is required" followed by "we're pretty big deals in fg circles oh yer" as the Barman eventually gets them their two bottles of Stella and a Sauv Blanc.

Tubthumping comes on, the three of them link arms and in unison sing along with the words "drinks a vodka drink, drink a lager drink, etc etc," then followed by "get knocked down but I get up again", when suddenly Maria comes up with the brain wave that it would be "totes a fab idea to get a selfie on the swings" - so the three of them jump on the lift to Sophie's, checking out the lunch boxes on some of south dubs finest men on a night out on their onward journey.

Upon getting to the swings bailey takes her seat, poses for a selfie -stella raised aloft (no point buying a beer if you don't either drink it, or put a photo of it up on social media) and realises that, (signs or no signs, swings are designed to be gripped with both hands) she asks one of her two compadres to take the photo for her.

Madigan, clutching a goblet of wine in one hand, the bottle in the other, realises that her phones in the inside of her jacket, and asks Bailey to hold the wine bottle so she can fetch it forthwith.

Upon reaching for the bottle of gargle, gravity reminds Maria's arse that it cares not a jot for politics or status symbol, and sends said arse off swing, and Bailey goes arse over tit, plummeting to the ground.

Cue, schoolgirl like titters and giggles from all concerned with the exception of Bailey, who feels morto. Quicky gathering herself up off the ground, and heads for the nearest jack's to assess the situation.

Legalese jargon starts being spouted in an effort to quell Maria's mortoness, about how the swings shouldn't be there without instructions how to safely use them (snigger) or without adult supervision (snigger again) from a lawyer high on ego, wine and self importance.

Bailey gets advised to seek plasters from the hotel reception, and the importance of recording the incident in the health and safety book they might have (gonna be needed later)

Few meetings in the ensuing weeks with solicitor where their stall is laid out, where to take the claim, what angle to go with and make sure they know you're an avid runner whom couldn't run at all for months afterwards. Wink wink.

Reassurances all over the show that this will be settled well before court, plebs won't even be told of this one, clear cut negligence etc etc.

Bailey stops at travel agents on way home, leaves with brochures of five stars in Florida, all inclusive, why not.

Excrement whacks the fan, whole thing gets exposed because the feckin Dean refused to go down without a fight, newspaper articles, FG reps getting mouthfuls on the doorsteps by disgruntled insurance payers, then Bailey's radio interview, FG completely affronted, humanity was crossed, Farrells episode is once again brought to the fore, reminding the great unwashed that the lure of easy money via dodgy insurance claims isn't unique to Maria.

Leo's campaign to grass up welfare fraud gets wheeled out to remind us that he and his party apparently operate a zero tolerance approach to scamming and cheating systems.

Minister's and TDs voice their annoyance, one even deletes Bailey's photo from Facebook (ouch)**

**Some or perhaps even all of the above might not be true, hence the need for facts from Kennedy's report needs to be published.

Humanity however, has well and truly been crossed to fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Edit.

The video will certainly come out at some point when it suits someone's agenda. We'll all get to see what Bailey and Madigan thought was worth up to 60 grand and who was with her at the time.

All this because her ego was dented and she was in her own words mortified.

We have all had an embarrassing trip or fall over the years on front of others because of our own contributory negligence. So what. Have a laugh about it and get on with things is what most of us do. There was probably more than 3 in the general area, I would think possibly a few other FG TDs the way this has played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

What age was Leo when a certain Mr. Albert Reynolds said, “You cross the big hurdles, and when you get to the small ones, you get tripped up.”

He may have been at school and missed it.

On a side note. Anyone see 'Grandmaster Flash and the furious spin-monkeys' recently?
    I think they're in Glenties assuring everyone that he/they have it under control.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Has Paschal's deselection process reached Dun Laoire direction yet?

If not, the Leader may have an out for the stupid debacle he's entangled himself and his party in over the past few months.
    But only if the most senior closest to him twist his arm.

This is going to keep making headlines the whole way into August at this rate.

Taoiseach will not ask those in Maria Bailey report to waive right to confidentiality

First he didn't know if he'd release it to the public at all, simply because he "would need to see it first" that changed to the absolute bullshyt once he seen it, about Kennedy giving people anonymity (that Leo didn't know about beforehand) and we're now at a point where he's at this waffle, all to protect Josepha.

You're making it up as you go along Leo. Time to get off the stage your amateur hour is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Will be writing to my local FG TD to let them know they’ve lost any chance ever of a vote from me over this.
    Be careful! I got on a Christmas card list for years after writing to a TD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Has Paschal's deselection process reached Dun Laoire direction yet?
    Not in the middle of summer. Even Paschal gets holidays. If that's the line they decide to take, it's more likely to be New Year or a point a lot closer to a GE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement