Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SD, and independents.

SD lost my interest with the questionable candidate selection and subsequent implosion

Independents are one issue parochial candidates, or FF/FG cast offs for the most part. Plus they split the vote and you end up with characters like Lowry, Ross, Zappone, Jackie Healy-Rae holding too much sway.

As I said previously, the current system and population levels, coupled with the generally disinterested and apathetic attitude towards politics (until it personally affects them) of the electorate means that we simply don't have the ability to support multiple large parties.

It really comes down to FF or FG for most (SF are out because of legacy reasons, and current policies on things like immigration and the economy).
    FG's role is to act as a temporary alternative when FF lose the run of themselves, but then remind us all why no one votes for them except as a protest vote as they've done this time again.

That unfortunately leaves one option - FF

The only way we'll see real change is not to split the vote even further. It's to pick one or the other (whichever you feel aligns best with your views) and get actively involved with holding them to account and letting them know what you think of their performance.

It's just not good enough to vote on the day and then sit back until the next time out, but that's what happens, and then we wonder why nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Be better if there had been a pun about car crash TV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

If you look at the replies to Alan Farrell's tweets you can see the public are not letting this go. I'm heartened to see they're like a dog after a bone with this idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

mike_cork wrote: »

Leo will be on holidays, and in the Autumn he will deflect with blaming the British for everything Brexit, so unfortunately I do not see the government paying too much attention to this. Too many of their mates are top legal people doing nicely out of insurance cases methinks.

janfebmar wrote: »
    Leo will be on holidays, and in the Autumn he will deflect with blaming the British for everything Brexit, so unfortunately I do not see the government paying too much attention to this. Too many of their mates are top legal people doing nicely out of insurance cases methinks.

Brexit belongs to the British. Nobody’s blaming them for anything. There’s no need to.

Jesus you have a hard on for hating all things Irish don’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

36jwnn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

boombang wrote: »
    If you look at the replies to Alan Farrell's tweets you can see the public are not letting this go. I'm heartened to see they're like a dog after a bone with this idiot.

It shows the complete lack of awareness that the cretin is existing in the fact that he would even dare raise his head above the parapet considering the public mood at present.

Some of the replies are solid gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

It shows the complete lack of awareness that the cretin is existing in the fact that he would even dare raise his head above the parapet considering the public mood at present.

Some of the replies are solid gold.

It's just FG 101. Brass neck the hell out of it until it goes away. The mantra has already started that Bailey is being "bullied" and doesn't deserve the treatment.

Like hell she doesn't.

• Advertisement

I know lots of folk have been speculating about who exactly was with Maria on the night in question, who the mystery "friend's" are who she was referring to in the infamous interview, that were holding the "bottle of wine she was reaching for"....

With the renewed vigour the indo has on this story, particularly with what appears to be a shift from focusing on Madigan as opposed to Bailey....

This line in particular from that article is possibly very craftily worded.
    Ms Madigan, he insisted, was bound by solicitor-client confidentiality just as he was and continues to be bound by doctor-patient confidentiality from his time in the health service. Therefore, according to the Taoiseach, Ms Madigan cannot discuss when she became aware of Ms Bailey's now infamous swing-fall in The Dean Hotel, what advice she gave her then backbench colleague or answer other pertinent questions that several party leaders are asking.

When? Would that include the actual moment it happened?

Do the indo know dam well who was there, how it all unfolded?

They definitely seem pissed off about something. Maybe it's this (from the same article)?
    The Irish Independent reported last week that Ms Madigan did process Ms Bailey's application to the Personal Injuries Assessment Board. Mr Varadkar has since confirmed Ms Madigan gave Ms Bailey "initial legal advice, guidance and assisted" the PIAB application when she was a backbench TD, presumably sometime between February 2016, when she was elected to the D, and 2017 when she stepped back from the firm.

Now Fine Gael and the Taoiseach appear determined to ignore outstanding questions and move on - with Mr Varadkar's press adviser trying unsuccessfully to prevent this newspaper asking the Taoiseach whether he would seek to have the report published

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'll miss Oktoberfest, my favourite night out in Dublin. I exercise personal responsibility and i'm being punished ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I would say the Indo have the video coverage.

That is why they are pushing and pushing and pushing. They know it is a huge story and if they keep going it will come out....

Imagine after an internal review done by FG, everyone is given the all clear and a mini slap on wrist for one member it comes out that both Madigan and Bailey where at the Dean.

That would bring the government down.....

I know lots of folk have been speculating about who exactly was with Maria on the night in question, who the mystery "friend's" are who she was referring to in the infamous interview, that were holding the "bottle of wine she was reaching for"....

With the renewed vigour the indo has on this story, particularly with what appears to be a shift from focusing on Madigan as opposed to Bailey....

They definitely seem pissed off about something. Maybe it's this (from the same article)?

The Indo look to me like they have the inside scoop of what really went on here.
    As you say, the increased spotlight from the paper on Madigan suggests they know she had a deeper involvement than let on to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    S
    That unfortunately leaves one option - FF

The only way we'll see real change is not to split the vote even further. It's to pick one or the other (whichever you feel aligns best with your views) and get actively involved with holding them to account and letting them know what you think of their performance.

So you reckon the way to get real change is to re-elect Fianna Fail and then send Micheal Martin a strongly worded email when he does something you disapprove of. Good luck with that...

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would say the Indo have the video coverage.

That is why they are pushing and pushing and pushing. They know it is a huge story and if they keep going it will come out....

Imagine after an internal review done by FG, everyone is given the all clear and a mini slap on wrist for one member it comes out that both Madigan and Bailey where at the Dean.

That would bring the government down.....

My thoughts also.
    They have the video and or info from inside the party and drip feeding what they know until they release the video.

The Indo look to me like they have the inside scoop of what really went on here.
    As you say, the increased spotlight from the paper on Madigan suggests they know she had a deeper involvement than let on to date.

If Madigan is one of the mystery friends Maria referred to in the night in question, and (hypothetically) was the friend who's bottle of wine she was reaching for... Yet advised Maria to lodge a claim regardless, well there's no telling what way this might go.

If Madigan is one of the mystery friends Maria referred to in the night in question, and (hypothetically) was the friend who's bottle of wine she was reaching for... Yet advised Maria to lodge a claim regardless, well there's no telling what way this might go.

The Indo definitely have a bee in their bonnet about something.
    Be interesting to see *if* they have something bigger to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Hopefully it does bring the government down. Insurance fraud is crippling the country. It's not as if the government is doing anything constructive the last while. They've been winging it on the back of the trouble with Brexit. One of these rare occasions when the public gives full approval to a paper's actions..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Believe me,that video will never make it into the public domain.......
    Money solves a lot of problems in politics...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BENDYBINN wrote:
    Believe me,that video will never make it into the public domain....... Money solves a lot of problems in politics...

I wouldn't be so sure about that, considering who owns the press up group and his past dealings with FG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Believe me,that video will never make it into the public domain.......
    Money solves a lot of problems in politics...

Au contraire. I am absolutely positive it will. The timing will be interesting. If I managed the Dean, I would have copies stored away for safekeeping.

There are many employees in the Dean who know who was with Bailey on the night in question. I imagine it's a well known fact even if not public yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I posted quite early on in this thread regarding my belief of who was present when Madigan fell on her arse, and regarding my belief that it's a very poor legal advisor that goes on to issue the paperwork for a case in which they very likely were a witness to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

is_that_so wrote: »
    Where did you see it? September at the earliest, I would have thought - which is only a further 3 weeks out. I suppose it makes sense to take a look, regardless of MB, as some of them were picked nearly two years ago. They may now see better alternatives but post-Budget and closer to an election makes more sense to me for any party to look at it. Most will need to take stock of how many they can run and where they might add or remove people.

The famous Phoenix!

I’m between two stools here.
    I’m appalled by this whole situation. And the ongoing continuing fvckups like housing and hospital and broadband disaster.
    I’ve already mailed Leo saying I’ll never vote FG again. And I won’t.

Then I look at brexit. And they’re playing a blinder (now look at how they’re playing Ireland and the electorate) and I know for a fact there is no way in the universe FF would be anything like as competent and resilient representing us in the clusterfvck that is brexit.

FF would have already rolled over for the Brits almost day one just to keep the wheels turning and no consideration of what the Brits were actually asking.the backstop wouldn’t have crossed their minds.

So while I Hope FG are made to answer for this situation with Bailey I hope it isn’t that they’re brought down by such an utterly appalling stupid badly handled situation.

It’s a sticky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

banie01 wrote: »
    I posted quite early on in this thread regarding my belief of who was present when Madigan fell on her arse, and regarding my belief that it's a very poor legal advisor that goes on to issue the paperwork for a case in which they very likely were a witness to.
    (Emphasis mine.) Freudian slip there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I’m appalled by this whole situation. And the ongoing continuing fvckups like housing and hospital and broadband disaster.

Then I look at brexit. And they’re playing a blinder (now look at how they’re playing Ireland and the electorate) and I know for a fact there is no way in the universe FF would be anything like as competent and resilient representing us in the clusterfvck that is brexit.

FF would have already rolled over for the Brits almost day one just to keep the wheels turning and no consideration of what the Brits were actually asking.the backstop wouldn’t have crossed their minds.

So while I Hope FG are made to answer for this situation with Bailey I hope it isn’t that they’re brought down by such an utterly appalling stupid badly handled situation.

It’s a sticky one.
    How have they played a blinder on brexit? By regurgitating the same line over and over again? A monkey could do that.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    How have they played a blinder on brexit? By regurgitating the same line over and over again? A monkey could do that.

They started planning the minute the referendum was announced by Cameron.
    Something ff would never have had the cop on to do.

They were so advanced in planning the Eu had to ask them to pull it in and not make it bilateral. Make it an Eu as a whole solid front dealing with it.

Ff would have rolled over before that had even happen

Ps the Brits have had two PMs now both saying the same thing. And lying.

Havin a concrete position and you complaining it’s repeating themselves shows you need to understand why they’re repeating over and over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It’s a sticky one.

This is not pro FF or anything

Based on what would FF roll over? FF are the only ones who managed to get the Good Friday agreement and we didn't do too bad out of that did we?

Look at since FG came into power, every single deal they had to do we got completely screwed.....Hospital, internet, etc etc

FG only stance so far on Brexit is head to Europe and hope someone over their will tell the UK to f**k off. They have yet to have any meaningful part in the discussion.....if it was really FG involved in this the UK would have Brexit done and dusted long ago.....not for our goodness either

Couple of FG plonkers on tv the other morning trying to say the Taniste is on the phone everyday to the UK.....:P:P:P yeah right, he probably doesn't even have their number

If Leo was so critical when was the last time May met with him? has Boris even mentioned Leo since he took over?

Feb 25th was last time Varadkar met May.....

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This is not pro FF or anything

Based on what would FF roll over? FF are the only ones who managed to get the Good Friday agreement and we didn't do too bad out of that did we?

Look at since FG came into power, every single deal they had to do we got completely screwed.....Hospital, internet, etc etc

FG only stance so far on Brexit is head to Europe and hope someone over their will tell the UK to f**k off. They have yet to have any meaningful part in the discussion.....if it was really FG involved in this the UK would have Brexit done and dusted long ago.....not for our goodness either

Couple of FG plonkers on tv the other morning trying to say the Taniste is on the phone everyday to the UK.....:P:P:P yeah right, he probably doesn't even have their number

If Leo was so critical when was the last time May met with him? has Boris even mentioned Leo since he took over?

Feb 25th was last time Varadkar met May.....

That’s fair. Good points.
    Boris has mentioned Leo several times.
    ‘Why isn’t he called Murphy like the rest of them?’

You might have missed that. A ****in ugly comment and an unnecessary one. It’s racism. But here we are.

I don’t believe Michael Martin or his deputy (who is??) would be anything like as capable or effective in this scenario. ThTs all I was saying.

And the Brits would take the election and change of power as a chance and a sign to go rampant with their nonsense to exploit it.
    ‘The Irish people ousted the FG government holding britain to ransom’ etc etc ad nauseum.

Now is not the time for an election. Sad as that is.

Brexit is more important by far than an internal Irish scandal.
    Especially such a petty but toxic one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement