Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

pigs in a trough. All of them..
    It doesn't matter who we put in there...they all are already corrupted from earlier positions as councillors/senators etc or get corrupted in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

She's a complete disgrace and should be dismissed from the Dáil immediately. Won't happen of course but it would set a good example going forward.

If you're in politics and are supposed to leading the people of this country I expect higher standards of behaviour from you than the average joe on the street.

Nobody can dismiss her, she’s an elected representative. Hopefully next time around the electorate give her her marching papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

theteal wrote: »
    When this is laughed out of court, can costs be awarded against her?

thing is, i wouldnt be in the least surprised if she won this case. i mean, its obviously a total fraud but that hasnt stopped countless others from being awarded big wads of greasy cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

She's a complete disgrace and should be dismissed from the Dáil immediately. Won't happen of course but it would set a good example going forward.

If you're in politics and are supposed to leading the people of this country I expect higher standards of behaviour from you than the average joe on the street.

You are disqualified from membership of Dáil Eireann if:
    • You are not a citizen of Ireland
    • You have not yet reached 21 years of age
    • You are a member of a local authority
    • You are a senior official of an institution of the European Union, for example, a member of the European Commission or a judge, advocate general or registrar of the European Court of Justice or a member of the Court of Auditors of the European Community
    • You are a member of the Garda Siochana
    • You are a full-time member of the Defence Forces
    • You are a civil servant and it does not specifically state in your contract of employment that you may be a member of the Dáil
    • You are a person of unsound mind
    • You are presently in prison serving a term greater than 6 months
    • You are the President, a member of the Seanad, the Comptroller and Auditor General or a Judge.

Unless Doofus Bailey can be got rid of under the "person of unsound mind" bit, then she's there until her electorate kicks her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

thing is, i wouldnt be in the least surprised if she won this case. i mean, its obviously a total fraud but that hasnt stopped countless others from being awarded big wads of greasy cash.

Surely not? The evidence against her is overwhelming.

Whatever happens, she will never be elected to public office again. At least, I hope not! It couldn't happen, could it?

In the meantime, damage limitation for Fine Gael should involve expelling her from the parliamentary party. Although I imagine they will have to wait until the trial is over and it might be difficult to do it if she actually wins the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

abff wrote: »

Whatever happens, she will never be elected to public office again. At least, I hope not! It couldn't happen, could it?

Well if she has the cheek to put herself forward again, I can see her election posters being defaced with large white “fraud” stickers. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This story doesn’t seem to be going away. I’d imagine they thought it would blow over after a few days. It seems to be gaining momentum if anything. Surely FG will have to acknowledge and deal with it now that it’s factually proven that she has lied in her affidavit. (3 months unable to run- yet ran a 10k week and after).

I imagine that FG will let the court case run its course. Then if she loses the case AND decides not to appeal, they can take action against her.

They'd be wrong to do anything before the legal process is complete.

That's more damaging in my opinion. Leo shouldn't suffer fools. We will see how strong a leader he really is now.

I don't trust our judiciciary enough to rock the boat even in the face of overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Insurance fraud is a criminal offence no?

The insuranceconfidential.ie hotline is ran by a Ltd company representing the insurance companies of Ireland. They may refer to the gardai but this is a civil matter currently.

I posted back a while ago with a question- can a member of the public file a criminal complaint against her even if not an aggrieved party?

This is the perfect opportunity to make a public and visible example to prosecute someone for blatant insurance fraud. With a criminal conviction she will lose her seat.

If FG are supposedly serious about sorting this compo culture, they should be ejecting her from the party in a very visible manner too

This is all an absolute disgrace.

Am getting children's passport applications sorted at local garda station and will be enquiring if I can file a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

salmocab wrote: »
    Nobody can dismiss her, she’s an elected representative. Hopefully next time around the electorate give her her marching papers.

Knowing this country she probably will win her seat back.

There should be some sort of way of dealing with this behaviour from TD's outside of waiting for an election to get rid of her, we know have to pay €93k per annum for another couple of years to this waster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

You are disqualified from membership of Dáil Eireann if:
    • You are not a citizen of Ireland
    • You have not yet reached 21 years of age
    • You are a member of a local authority
    • You are a senior official of an institution of the European Union, for example, a member of the European Commission or a judge, advocate general or registrar of the European Court of Justice or a member of the Court of Auditors of the European Community
    • You are a member of the Garda Siochana
    • You are a full-time member of the Defence Forces
    • You are a civil servant and it does not specifically state in your contract of employment that you may be a member of the Dáil
    • You are a person of unsound mind
    • You are presently in prison serving a term greater than 6 months
    • You are the President, a member of the Seanad, the Comptroller and Auditor General or a Judge.

Unless Doofus Bailey can be got rid of under the "person of unsound mind" bit, then she's there until her electorate kicks her out.
    Well, if Fine Gael are true to their word about tackling insurance fraud then she will lose her seat by falling under the category of 'presently in prison serving a term of greater than 6 months'

But of course when Fine Gael talk about tackling insurance or welfare fraud it doesn't apply to themselves or their voters amongst the affluent classes

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »

Hopefully not.

Although the fact that two tax cheats [Lowry/Wallace] are currently elected TDs makes me wonder about the Irish electorate's attitude to ethical behaviour by their elected representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Up until today i thought she was just being a stupid eejit but after reading that independent article theres no question for me that shes committing insurance fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If this swing is an issue for her I'd hate to see her in the many establishments that have the jacks down a dodgy flight of stairs that is almost always wet and slippery.

Also her 10km was done with a 5:30/km pace, pretty good for someone who claims they couldn't run for 3 months. I could barely keep a pace like that when I was running 10km 3 times a week and I wasn't injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    If this swing is an issue for her I'd hate to see her in the many establishments that have the jacks down a dodgy flight of stairs that is almost always wet and slippery.

Also her 10km was done with a 5:30/km pace, pretty good for someone who claims they couldn't run for 3 months. I could barely keep a pace like that when I was running 10km 3 times a week and I wasn't injured.

Talk about 'shooting yourself in the foot'. And FG want to tackle insurance claim fraud? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

God they’re all connected. She’s Simon Harris cousin ffs.
    ****in inbreds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Given how well the Green Party have done. I wonder how the kite flyer will react. Fg have done nothing for climate change except dodge hiking the carbon tax as they fear it will lose votes. Every action taken or not taken by them is purely based on votes. Varadkar is an oxygen thief!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Talk about 'shooting yourself in the foot'. And FG want to tackle insurance claim fraud? LOL
    sarcasm
    Obviously doing some insider research into the whole problem. The dedication some people have to their work has only to be admired
    /sarcasm

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    That's more damaging in my opinion. Leo shouldn't suffer fools. We will see how strong a leader he really is now.

I don't trust our judiciciary enough to rock the boat even in the face of overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing.
    Leo shouldn’t suffer fools?! Have you been in this country the past few years? We have the biggest smarmy weak lying fraud as tAoiseach , thAt this country has ever had !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just saw that in Indo. Brilliant, like something from Father Ted.
    Her own hubris and social media, look like to have killed her plans of cashing in?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/td-bailey-ran-10km-race-three-weeks-after-swing-fall-38146778.html

53 minutes and 56 seconds is a decent time for any woman doing a 10k.
    But jayus, I am particularly impressed as Ms Bailey really managed to hide the pain in those smiling images at the end. Considering she could no longer sit or stand without experiencing pain.

Then to top it all, this extremely brave and courageous woman attended the longitude music festival.
    If only she was in my constituency, she would get my number one vote for bravery in the face of adversity.

I will be keeping a close eye to see what her Dún Laoghaire constituents think, at the next election.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »

Have you been in this country the past few years? We have the biggest smarmy weak lying fraud as tAoiseach , thAt this country has ever had !!!!

He may be in the top three or four, but he's definitely not the outright winner.

I suspect that you may be too young to remember Haughey, Ahern, Reynolds and Cowen - but surely you remember Enda?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

salmocab wrote: »
    Saw some early tallies say he’ll be getting back in.
    Supervised , I Hope .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Suckit wrote: »
    I saw in recent pictures (I think taken during his campaign for local election), that her father is in a wheelchair.
    Anyone know why?

I predict a miracle in Lourdes..(after a payout) ;)

He may be in the top three or four, but he's definitely not the outright winner.

I suspect that you may be too young to remember Haughey, Ahern, Reynolds and Cowen - but surely you remember Enda?

Varadkar talked so much and has delivered nothing. I remember Kenny obviously. Coven too. I’d have been very young when haughey was in power. The young seem to like varadkar and his propaganda and spin must actually work on them. Voting for him while living at home with manny and daddy into their thirties. In kip house shares etc. we probably get what we deserve. The leaders of 1916 would be turning into their grave if they knew what their vision of this country had descended into! Rats offering nothing but talk and bluster, scared to offend anyone!

Do Fine Gael specifically look “ For Dumb as Fook “ in their Candidates ?

I predict a miracle in Lourdes..(after a payout) ;)
    I hope God is well Insured !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Well, if Fine Gael are true to their word
    *Sniggers*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If she has any sense she will drop the claim over the weekend. Then hope the election coverage, May resigning, Trump arriving and the Tory leadership fight will deflect attention from her until the summer break.

If FG have any sense they will kick her out, she will then fail as an independent at the next election. However, they are very well connected in FG and as brazen as it gets.

I also think there'll be more info on her activities, looks like a drip drip of info from the legal team and media.

LMFAO anyway.

As much as I despise the current government, this is completely unreasonable. TDs are allowed to have a social life and go out with their friends just like the rest of us, and Sophie’s is extremely popular with those swings appearing in probably tens of thousands of Instagram photos since the place opened. I’d rather be represented by people who do the things ordinary people do so they know how it is. The issue here is that thousands of people have sat on those swings, with or without holding the ropes, and not fallen off. Others have indeed fallen off and put it down to bad drunken luck.

This asshat has decided to contribute to the “duty of care” bullsh!t and the persistent tightening of rules as well as rising cost of goods and services, by blaming others for her own stupidity. But there’s nothing wrong with politicians doing things that regular people do on a weekly basis - indeed, personally I’d rather we had more politicians like that. Obviously this incident totally disqualifies her at least in my book, but having a go at a politician simply for going to a popular nightclub on a night off? Ridiculous IMO.

Seems like a misreading of the other persons post. No one is saying politicians can’t have a life, and the post was a humorous dig at the nature of the venue, rather than a decree for total abstinence from our elected reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement