Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Whose looking for serious debate? However manners cost nothing.

Well said, PlumbTheDepths.

Well said, PlumbTheDepths.

You know what, I probably should put an invoice into FG HQ, because some are allowing the thread to go waaay off thread. What's the thread about again?

Can a genuine shill PM me please? Discounted rates will apply because WishUwereHere makes me glad to be here. :D

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    FG tried that about 2-3 months ago.....it hasn't worked as this thread and the fact MB is still trending on twitter.....

I don’t do twitter, can I ask what’s the gist of what MB is saying there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I don’t do twitter, can I ask what’s the gist of what MB is saying there?

We won't be seeing any more media appearances from Maria Bailey for a long time. Surely got slapped down by Fine Gael HQ. I don´t mean Varadkar, more the general secretary and permanent staff

Trending on twitter doesn't mean she said anything, more the topic is still hot and being mentioned

A few here predicated it would die a death but still going strong it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I wonder will someone ask Leo was the 20 grand letter covered in the report and if so did MB lie again in the RTE interview?

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Leo and Kennedy were fully aware of the 20k letter from Bailey. Yet Leo did not remove the whip. :confused:
    It is understood Ms Bailey's letter formed part of the evidence examined by barrister David Kennedy who reviewed all details of the case for Fine Gael.

The letter was sent by Ms Bailey after she received a €600 cheque from the hotel to the cover medical costs she incurred arising from the fall.

he Dun Laoghaire TD, who was last week sacked as chair of the Oireachtas Housing Committee, returned the cheque and requested €20,000 to cover past and future medical expenses.

Leo is protecting a bigger scandal than he'd like us to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not really. It’s a fascinating example of obsessional behaviour to be honest. If some of you actually dedicated yourselves to local politics instead of wasting your time in this orgy of fake outrage thread then it would be impressive. I was also surprised to find out that Johnny Digs has a family and job. Don’t know where he gets the time.

But the reality is that politicians, civil servants and most journalists completely ignore the opinions of ‘joe soaps’ on the internet. It’s always angry, spiteful and lacking in anything approaching balance. I’d like to tell ye it was different, but it ain’t.

This is just one of many posts you have made where you infer people are neglecting their families, or questioning their employment status, and or work ethic.

We get it, you're seething, absolutely seething that FG have been repeatedly shown to be arguably a lot lot worse than has come before them by way of govts.

It's the moral high ground been taken away from them that is specifically pleasing here.

You have nothing in reserve Flash, you don't get to set the tone or narrative on this one, and the fact you question someone's devotion to family or work due to them posting on a compo claim from a party that wants us to grass up welfare cheats, and claims they want to tackle insurance fraud while protecting one of their own....

But interesting that you have seemingly no qualms whatsoever on folk who can spend their days posting literally hundreds of posts discussing scutter and waste coming from their nether regions (yeah that's shyte btw) says it all.

E- must try harder. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'm going to come across as obnoxious again, but do you consider that a lot of money for a Sunday?

Every thing is relative I suppose.

On very rare occasions I have done. I did work on a couple of consecutive Sundays (was during a company buy out) - they didn't get that service for €500. And I was one of the most junior in the room.

Yeah of course this is true

What that in the sky? bloody pigs again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Listen, dude, the reality is that Bailey’s career in politics is over, and people are far more engaged with issues like Brexit.

The shinnerbots will also be forced into a defensive posture soon. Another sex scandal due to emerge. Very very high profile as well. The apples didn’t fall far from the tree.

You sound like a guy on the Gay Mitchell presidential campaign. Some how they got it into their heads that bashing the Shinners was going to get them victory. Its not the Shinners you need to be worried about its the electorate and much bigger sharks. Gay Mitchell got 6.4% of that vote, keep it up.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yeah of course this is true

What that in the sky? bloody pigs again

:pac: What actual purpose would a lie serve. But, I suppose it continues to detract from the awful stuff SF have been getting up to so, maybe that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Listen, dude, the reality is that Bailey’s career in politics is over, and people are far more engaged with issues like Brexit.

The shinnerbots will also be forced into a defensive posture soon. Another sex scandal due to emerge. Very very high profile as well. The apples didn’t fall far from the tree.

You sound like a guy on the Gay Mitchell presidential campaign. Some how they got it into their heads that bashing the Shinners was going to get them victory. Its not the Shinners you need to be worried about its the electorate and much bigger sharks. Gay Mitchell got 6.4% of that vote, keep it up.

The electorate are much more clued in than these guys give them credit for.

• Advertisement

We are still inside the Social & Fun section, no?

There is a politics section if you want uber serious political debate.

I know this for a fact as I was called a shill, and know it to be BS, and because of that I can treat those that claim it with contempt.

So, are you saying it’s ok to be aggressive etc in this section, but not in the serious political forum?

We get it, you're seething, absolutely seething that FG have been repeatedly shown to be arguably a lot lot worse than has come before them by way of govts.

Ah, so it's a FF shill you are, because nobody, but nobody but a deluded FF shill would suggest that the FF governments leading up to the crash weren't anything but the most disastrous governments in the history of the state. A shameless shill at that.

Okay, I'm getting the hang of this shill stuff.

So, are you saying it’s ok to be aggressive etc in this section, but not in the serious political forum?

If some call others a shill and question their honesty then yes it is.

No, it would not be allowed in a serious forum. If you called someone a shill in the politics forum you'd be taking a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

As brilliant as this is , too hell with delivering the hammer blow now. A week out from the general election will do ...

This is just one of many posts you have made where you infer people are neglecting their families, or questioning their employment status, and or work ethic.

It's the moral high ground been taken away from them that is specifically pleasing here.

You have nothing in reserve Flash, you don't get to set the tone or narrative on this one, and the fact you question someone's devotion to family or work due to them posting on a compo claim from a party that wants us to grass up welfare cheats, and claims they want to tackle insurance fraud while protecting one of their own....

But interesting that you have seemingly no qualms whatsoever on folk who can spend their days posting literally hundreds of posts discussing scutter and waste coming from their nether regions (yeah that's shyte btw) says it all.

E- must try harder. :)

Excellent post Johnny D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Idbatterim wrote:
    As brilliant as this is , too hell with delivering the hammer blow now. A week out from the general election will do ...

That's the way I think it will go. PMcK owes FG a twist thanks to what a pervious FG government tried to do to him. I also remember one of the protagonists helped by FG shares the same last name as the clown that fell off the swing.

:pac: What actual purpose would a lie serve. But, I suppose it continues to detract from the awful stuff SF have been getting up to so, maybe that's it.

PLEASE explain what the shinnershave to do with MB?

:pac: If I'm considered a FG Shill I may as well live up to it.

Ah, I can't actually do it. My heart isn't in it. But, you fell for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You shouldn't waste your time engaging.

Quite right. In fact ye should head over to the Politics forum and start a thread with the following title. FG have been repeatedly shown to be arguably a lot lot worse than has come before them by way of govts.

See how that gets treated.

• Advertisement

You are So right PTD, especially after reading his/her message just prior to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Leo has been exposed pretty badly by this episode. He has shown to be a guy who wants this story to be buried in the hope that it will go away and slap on MB's wrists will suffice. He is reading the public mood incorrectly, it happens when politicians get power, power does corrupt but maybe not in the way people might think. The corruption is believing that they are right because they have power, there is a lot of arrogance I think from FG but not unique to them it happens all parties in power especially those that have been there for too long. Leo should have nipped this in the bud, MB should have been asked to resign her seat and Madser should have been banished to the back benches. But Leo believed he could spoof and prevaricate until it went away. Big mistake , FG are now the target and will be until he deals with the issue he will be in the spot light.

My opinion?

I think the likes of the fg defenders are trying to deviate from MB and her antics so as to incur the wrath of the Mods and have the thread closed down.

I may be wrong, then again, I may be right. I think it’s time to hit the ignore button

My opinion?

I think the likes of the fg defenders are trying to deviate from MB and her antics so as to incur the wrath of the Mods and have the thread closed down.

I may be wrong, then again, I may be right. I think it’s time to hit the ignore button

My Evil plan has been foiled by your genius. You win the internet today.

A question for the Cadre...

There's a lot of anti FG feeling on the this thread. 'A vote for them...' - Would you mind sharing who you think people should vote for?

And ABFG as an answer is a cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not really. It’s a fascinating example of obsessional behaviour to be honest. If some of you actually dedicated yourselves to local politics instead of wasting your time in this orgy of fake outrage thread then it would be impressive. I was also surprised to find out that Johnny Digs has a family and job. Don’t know where he gets the time.

More personal digs.. doesn't help whatever point you're trying to make. Just shows you up as someone who can't make an argument without childish personal attacks
    But the reality is that politicians, civil servants and most journalists completely ignore the opinions of ‘joe soaps’ on the internet. It’s always angry, spiteful and lacking in anything approaching balance. I’d like to tell ye it was different, but it ain’t.

While I agree that a LOT of social media is indeed "out there", it DOES have a valid purpose in giving politicians genuine and regular feedback. After all, what alternative options are there? Write an email or letter? (generally ignored or copy/paste responses), make calls? (pretty much the same or only to low level functionaries or seat warmers - can we ring Leo or Simon for example?).

But yes, it would probably suit FG TD's far better if they could just "ignore" the opinions of the electorate entirely - they tried that in Enda's time.. it managed to get people off their ass to hold mass protests (in person and by not engaging) as a result of the IW debacle.

Brexit, Brexit, Brexit... straight out off the FG playbook. Ignore everything else, deflect to Brexit. Just ignore all this local nonsense - nothing to see, right?

I thought Maria was grand by the way? That this story was going away/dying? Now her career is finished? Someone might want to tell her? Being in touch with the public mood isn't exactly FG's strength here, so just saying..

Really? Source? I'm no SF supporter (as I've said here many times) but if I didn't know better it almost sounds like a story will be strategically released to take the pressure off FG and Leo?

Did you just spill the beans Johnny?

There's a lot of anti FG feeling on the this thread. 'A vote for them...' - Would you mind sharing who you think people should vote for?

Why not read the thread, that’s been asked multiple times and discussed multiple times

My opinion?

Your 100% right and I said it first thing this morning, a certain few posters are trying to get this into personal abuse argument and then hit the mods

It’s 2-3 pages of rubbish today.....so even if new people are interested they will see nothing that makes sense

If they are or are not FG shills it should be ignored....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Politics forum tbh

This is the Maria Bailey thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

But the reality is that politicians, civil servants, and most journalists completely ignore the opinions of ‘joe soaps’ on the internet. It’s always angry, spiteful and lacking in anything approaching balance. I’d like to tell ye it was different, but it ain’t.

As a journalist, I can say the above is not the case and FG do have members of their spin team working on social media and websites such as Boards to try and minimise any damage. So far there are 7592 posts on this thread. How long before it breaks 8000 posts?

I was also one of the many who emailed various FG TD's using the template posted on here. I got the following response from Regina O'Doherty's PA.

Dear Ronan,

Thank you for your email, however I would just like to provide a point of correction. Regina never defended anything, she simply stated that “Every individual has a right to take a case”, that’s a constitutional right, Regina made no comment whatsoever on anyone’s individual case.

She does not know the details of Deputy Bailey’s case, nor did she comment on it. She did say that the Government must balance the rights of people to use the courts while also putting a ceiling on payments so as to protect businesses. I am confident the courts will make the right decision in relation to this case.

Regina’s views are reflected in the body of the article, but whoever wrote the headline is just being mischievous.

Regards,

John
    SA to Minister

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement