Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    Sorry if already posted but someone been honest saying it was their fault!

Important point, she's not an Irish politician and clearly has ethics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Suckit wrote: »
    FG should be out on their arses anyway. They seem to have no grasp of reality or finances.
    The childrens hospital €450m has become €1.73bn, Siemens offered to foot the €810m and up cost of installing water meters, but FG thought it would be better to borrow €450m and pay it back with interest + the installation fees costing over €1bn (instead of FREE), The broadband over €3bn, Homeless crisis and calling these human parking spaces a boutique hotel, insurance rates rising and two chancers with their hands out for less than a months wage and the other one (allegedly) giving advice to earn herself a finders fee for the family company.

I know I've left loads out, but all of this crap and they are still standing in front of us, brazenly and arrogantly telling us we are wrong to condemn Bailey and 'even the best' BS.. F**k sake.
    I mean, the ways that this could have been dealt with are endless, but the way they dealt with it is probably the worst of the lot of them. And then to have spinners in here arguing and pointing the finger everywhere else, telling us to look at SF, FF etc.. That's also just adding to the anger. I mean there is nothing really to defend. She was caught, she had her hand out for what is effectively pennies (compared to her wage) for banging her ass, as she lied and on radio blames everyone else. Cut her out FFS.
    Politics make me ill at the best of time, but this has really and truly shown me FG in a horrible nasty light. It is something I won't forget for a long time.
    The young FG. Absolute Joke, the lot of them.
    /rant.

The look after your buddies party. They are a sickening shower. Honestly I cannot fathom what possesses a young person to join YFG. I don't think the primary motivation is to make real change despite what they would say.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/andreajenkyns/status/1156287264932139008?s=20

Surely she has a case for being mortified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Pulling a stroke like Bailey in the UK would leave you in prison.

Look up Chris Huhne, a former UK politician He asked his wife to take the points for a speeding offence, which she agreed to. As far as I am aware, at some stage she dropped him in it. Both were put into jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

is_that_so wrote: »
    Which means FF or possibly Labour.

Personally, after voting liebour for over 40 years and then what they were a party to with ek, I will never vote Labour again.

I am go8ng to give the SDs a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Let's all just move on and forget all about this little episode.
    From today's Indo ;

One of her constituents in Dublin Rathdown wrote to Ms Madigan and Taoiseach Leo Varadkar on May 23, the day before the elections.
    The writer said: "I bring my three and six-year-old children to the playground weekly and there are no supervisors for swings."
    They added that the case is "deeply embarrassing to Fine Gael".
    Ms Madigan responded to the voter by email on election day, May 24.
    She wrote: "Having spoken to my colleagues, I know there is a determination to move on from this issue."
    Ms Madigan added: "While not wishing to comment on an ongoing case, nor wishing to detract from the right of any citizen to take a case if they wish,
    I believe it is important for the party to highlight the very serious ongoing work to tackle the high cost of insurance premiums in Ireland."
    She detailed three pieces of legislation she said are "important steps in insurance reform"
    and plans for the establishment of a committee of judges to set guidelines for the level of damages in personal injury pay-outs.
    Ms Madigan added: "I hope this offers some reassurance."

The constituent later wrote back saying: "In real life some issues cannot be moved on from that quickly."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Important point, she's not an Irish politician and clearly has ethics.

Look up Fiona Onasanya and see that nationality isnt always the deciding factor.

It has more to do with being entitled little ****s that somehow ended up in a position of "power" and really dont want to lt go of that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

inforfun wrote: »
    Look up Fiona Onasanya and see that nationality isnt always the deciding factor.

It has more to do with being entitled little ****s that somehow ended up in a position of "power" and really dont want to lt go of that position.

Onasanya was dishonest, but again the British system dealt with her justly and she was sent to jail and lost her seat. In Ireland...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

boombang wrote: »
    Onasanya was dishonest, but again the British system dealt with her justly and she was sent to jail and lost her seat. In Ireland...

She was forced out of her seat. Dint give up a thing.

Some former Amsterdam council member, now councillor in Diemen, did the "right" thing when he ****ed up recently.
    He resigned the day after he was arrested for public disorder, insulting and spitting at a police officer while being as high as a kite.
    Of course that being high was, according to some "colleagues" of his, a daily occurrence so why he wasn't kicked out sooner is also still unanswered.

Ddint help him that it ended up on 1 of Hollands most visited websites with video and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Was her humanity crossed yet though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

LOL. For those who dont know Jenkins is a brexiteer.

https://twitter.com/mgstewart37/status/1156290062688145410

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Personally, after voting liebour for over 40 years and then what they were a party to with ek, I will never vote Labour again.

I am go8ng to give the SDs a chance.

You'd be hard pushed to find an SD candidate in the majority of constituencies, never mind an electable one. Gary Gannon and Dublin Central looks like their only realistic hope to move up from 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Let's all just move on and forget all about this little episode.
    From today's Indo ;

... Ms Madigan responded to the voter by email on election day, May 24.
    She wrote: "Having spoken to my colleagues, I know there is a determination to move on from this issue."
    Ms Madigan added: "While not wishing to comment on an ongoing case, nor wishing to detract from
    I believe it is important for the party to highlight the very serious ongoing work to tackle the high cost of insurance premiums in Ireland."
    She detailed three pieces of legislation she said are "important steps in insurance reform"
    and plans for the establishment of a committee of judges to set guidelines for the level of damages in personal injury pay-outs.
    Ms Madigan added: "I hope this offers some reassurance." ...

Why does this make me think of an episode of "Yes Minister" or "Yes Prime Minister"?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Don't know about anyone else, but every day I am reading about claims that have gotten to court that you just couldn't make up, that are being thrown out...and nowhere am I reading of any punitive measures in place for those bringing the claims..

Why does this make me think of an episode of "Yes Minister" or "Yes Prime Minister"?

It's been passed already.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0620/1056599-judicial-council-bill/

Here's a more detailed explanation of what the council will be expected to do.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/seven-judges-to-be-tasked-with-setting-new-payout-rates-for-compo-claims-38202036.html

You could also do a search for the Book of Quantum , which lays down award level guidelines. Link to it on the PIAB website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

walshb wrote: »
    Don't know about anyone else, but every day I am reading about claims that have gotten to court that you just couldn't make up, that are being thrown out...and nowhere am I reading of any punitive measures in place for those bringing the claims..
    According to the Fine Gael minister these are the best of people being led astray by easy money. A minor tap on the wrist seems to be what they see as appropriate measures to deal with them, or no action at all in the case of false foto Farrell.

LOL. For those who dont know Jenkins is a brexiteer.

https://twitter.com/mgstewart37/status/1156290062688145410

Jaysus, even the Brexiteers have some cop on. *some

You have to read up on the "deflated ball" claim in the indo......mother of divine...it makes MB seem like Mother Teresa...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You have to read up on the "deflated ball" claim in the indo......mother of divine...it makes MB seem like Mother Teresa...

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/schoolboy-hit-with-legal-bill-as-deflated-football-case-is-dismissed/ar-AAF3bk1?li=BBr5MK2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"The schoolboy lost his balance and when he put his hand out to try to save himself from falling, he broke his wrist. I am afraid that is an accident, these things happen," he said.
    Fairplay to the Judge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They are pretty similar. Missed a ball - Sue. Missed a swing - Sue. The only real difference is that Bailey didn't break anything.
    Both ridiculous and should be fined for time wasting from the moment they signed any affidavits blaming anything other than their own inability to balance.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Fairplay to the Judge
    Yep but we all have a right to a day in court if we believe we have been wronged. What we should expect is lawyers explaining the lie of the land and not steering people towards the PIAB or courthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yep but we all have a right to a day in court if we believe we have been wronged. What we should expect is lawyers explaining the lie of the land and not steering people towards the PIAB or courthouse.

So Madigan should go too.

Well I know you're keen to see that but it's really not implied anywhere in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Madigan's involvement will come out eventually

I wonder who told Bailey that "I had a clear cut case." ?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Madigan's involvement will come out eventually

I wonder who told Bailey that "I had a clear cut case." ?

Maybe Bailey told herself? Who knows what to believe...If there is anything we should know about the law, it is that nothing is clear cut....isn't that why there so many toerags exploiting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What we should expect is lawyers explaining the lie of the land and not steering people towards the PIAB or courthouse.
    Well I know you're keen to see that but it's really not implied anywhere in my post.

Madigan steered bailey towards the PIAB. Madigan submitted the claim to the PIAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

pablo128 wrote: »
    Pulling a stroke like Bailey in the UK would leave you in prison.

Look up Chris Huhne, a former UK politician He asked his wife to take the points for a speeding offence, which she agreed to. As far as I am aware, at some stage she dropped him in it. Both were put into jail.

Aside from that there was the 2009 expenses scandal, which was most well known for Tory Sir Peter Viggers claiming expenses so he could build a moat and populate it with ducks but also ended up with a good few politicians serving prison time
    Jim Devine (Labour) pleaded not guilty and was found guilty on two counts but cleared of a third (relating to £360) on 10 February 2011.[179] He had fraudulently claimed a total of £8,385 and on 31 March 2011 was sentenced to 16 months imprisonment.

Eric Illsley (Labour) pleaded guilty to charges of false accounting totalling £14,000 and was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court to 12 months imprisonment.

Denis MacShane (Labour) was jailed for six months on 23 December 2013 for expenses fraud, after admitting submitting 19 fake receipts amounting to £12,900, making him the fifth MP to get a prison sentence as a result of the scandal.

Elliot Morley (Labour) admitted two charges of dishonesty and was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on 20 May 2011 to 16 months imprisonment, his false claims totalled £31,333.54.[188][189] On 8 June 2011, he was expelled from the Privy Council, the first expulsion since Edgar Speyer in 1921, and thereby removing his right to use the honorific title The Right Honourable.[190]

Lord Taylor of Warwick (Conservative) pleaded not guilty to six charges of false accounting, but was convicted at Southwark Crown Court on 25 January 2011.[191] His false parliamentary expenses claims amounted to £11,277 and on 31 May 2011 he was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment.

Lord Hanningfield
    Paul White, Baron Hanningfield (Conservative) pleaded not guilty to six charges of false accounting, but was convicted at Chelmsford Crown Court on 26 May 2011.[192] He was given a 9-month sentence[193] which was confirmed when his appeal[194] against the conviction and sentence failed in July 2011.

We don't put politicians in prison for criminal matters. Instead we have Leo acting as judge and jury saying everything is just fine with a case of insurance fraud because it says so in a report that he refuses to publish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

inforfun wrote: »
    She was forced out of her seat. Dint give up a thing.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying that in the UK even if the individual lacks the honour to do the right thing the system will usually deal with them appropriately. In Ireland, we have a public (and private) individuals who act without responsibility and system that is inept to correct them.

Bertie, Lowry, many bankers, corrupt planning officials, that idiot Pat Hickey from the Olympic Committee that somehow never went back to Brazil... the list goes on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Muahahaha wrote: »
    We don't put politicians in prison for criminal matters. Instead we have Leo acting as judge and jury saying everything is just fine with a case of insurance fraud because it says so in a report that he refuses to publish.
    Our TD's also don't tend to resign either.

Up until 2014 just 7 TDs had resigned in 85 years. Although, since then I think 4 more have resigned. Carol Nolan, Peter Fitzpatrick, Denis Naughten and Peadar Tóibín. 3 of those were to do with the Eight Ammendment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement