Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That the stance for some of the poster's has switched from Maria Bailey is a good person who was unfairly victimised for something everyone does.

To throwing her under the bus to try and stem and further fallout is laughable.

The decisions and actions taken, the advice offered and instructions and correspondence issued are all strongly indicative of both MB and JM having at the very best, poor ethics, poor judgement and questionable decision making skills.

We are at a point in this process where JM certainly has more questions to answer than MB as to the timeline of advice offered, instructions received and correspondence issued.

That there now is a concerted effort by FG to deflect and ignore, and by posters here to do the same is a strange synchronicity don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

is_that_so wrote: »
    The story will go where it wants regardless of what I do. I think it's really a story about one individual.

We have had Johnny flash on defending FG, then Paddy, last weekend we had Chinese Whispers, always in the background thanking the 3 for their contributions is ES, and now you. Face it, you are arguing an uphill Everest.

Oh and for your information, I am not only on about one person, there is also AF, JM, & being the leader of the party they are members of, LV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

JeffKenna wrote: »
    If she lied about this on national radio then she should lose the whip.

Leo said she lied and she still kept the whip;

• Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chiparus wrote: »

When did he say she lied?

That’s a serious claim, if he made it.

Taking it you understand what a lie is, strictly speaking?

Example: Saying something that is untrue is not necessarily a lie..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

She didn't lie, she just overstated her injuries, and there was numerous inconsistencies told to both him (Leo) and the media that couldn't be reconciled.

Also, theres the small matter of stating on an affidavit that you were once an avid runner, but couldn't run "at all for 3 months" in an annual event, she undoubtedly ran in before (kinda hard to forget the year you fell off a swing so) yet ran it 3 weeks later in only a few seconds over their personal best. Hard to assume that completely slipped her mind, smelt like BS to most of us.

If a commoner pulled such a stunt - that would be a black lie and no mistake.

Government party TD? Just an inconsistent overstatement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

walshb wrote: »

Correct he did not say she lied here's what he did say.
    There have been inconsistencies in Deputy Bailey's account of events

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Out of interest, do you think she lied when she said she couldn't run for 3 months or when she stated she only wanted €6k or €7k to cover medical bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What do you class as a lie and not a lie?

SAying you only wanted medical expenses of 6-7k but you first put up a case for 60k, but also sent a letter for 20k and also admitted that health insurance paid for it

Or did you lie when you couldnt run for 3 month but done a run 10 days after

Or didnt lie when submitting a case saying you where not at fault when you admit to holding a drink and trying to grab a bottle of wine

Do we need to continue?

"There have been inconsistencies in Deputy Bailey's account of events to me and the media that I cannot reconcile", Leo Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spot of bother for Josepha and something far more likely to cause her grief. Just can't get the staff these days!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/minister-josepha-madigan-branded-a-disgrace-over-letter-about-methadone-clinic-38363974.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

"There have been inconsistencies in Deputy Bailey's account of events to me and the media that I cannot reconcile", Leo Varadkar

When is a lie not a lie? When it is an "inconsistency".:rolleyes:

I think the bit " I cannot reconcile" i.e "I dont believe her" is telling.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Spot of bother for Josepha and something far more likely to cause her grief. Just can't get the staff these days!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/minister-josepha-madigan-branded-a-disgrace-over-letter-about-methadone-clinic-38363974.html

Well to be fair nobody wants a shower of junkies knocking around the estate after spendig stupid money on a house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Well to be fair nobody wants a shower of junkies knocking around the estate after spendig stupid money on a house

Not a dig but what's the alternative? Having them break in and rifle through your personal belongings for cash for their next fix?

They need to be treated in order for them to be in a position to not have to rob people. Addicts come from all walks of life. Not just working class areas.

We have had Johnny flash on defending FG, then Paddy, last weekend we had Chinese Whispers, always in the background thanking the 3 for their contributions is ES, and now you. Face it, you are arguing an uphill Everest.

Oh and for your information, I am not only on about one person, there is also AF, JM, & being the leader of the party they are members of, LV.
    This is just differences of opinion and I've stated my views on all of this more than once. I don't see continuously excoriating anyone that suits you is a terribly useful form of discussion but have at it.

Take JM out of the picture, when she is an intricate part of the whole episode?

You are joking, right?
    Think it's been established that is unknown except to you apparently.

Not that I'd necessarily be in favour but equally wouldn't be too impressed if my local TD was sending that out. Then again maybe that's what excites voters in Ballinteer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Maria Bailey has uttered many many untruths since she fell off that swing with 2 bottles in her hand.

Even during the SOR interview she was contradicting herself.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/transcript-of-maria-bailey-interview-on-sean-o-rourke-show-1.3905867
    Sean, let me tell you why I’m not going there. I wasn’t able to go home for three days last week because journalists were sitting outside my home. That is an invasion of my privacy and humanity has been crossed.
    I had to lock myself away and work from home this week with the exception of going into the Oireachtas to do my job.

There are legitimate expenses that are verified, you’re only talking, €6,000 - €7,000 here
    You’re filling out an affidavit three years after the event, you do that with the best of intentions, but you know that prior to that going before the judge that you can amend that affidavit.
    I never claimed for compensation. The hotel agreed to pay my medical expenses.
    Now, that’s not a level playing pitch, as somebody who grew up on the sideline of a GAA pitch, I play fair, I don’t play offside.

There is no offside in football or camogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

pablo128 wrote: »
    Not a dig but what's the alternative? Having them break in and rifle through your personal belongings for cash for their next fix?

They need to be treated in order for them to be in a position to not have to rob people. Addicts come from all walks of life. Not just working class areas.

It’s true. Doesn’t matter were they start. Without help they all end up in the gutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

8000 replies. A few hundred thousand views. The thread is thriving.

In a well functioning democracy accountability is first and foremost. Well done all.

• Advertisement

Maria Bailey has uttered many many untruths since she fell off that swing with 2 bottles in her hand.

Even during the SOR interview she was contradicting herself.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/transcript-of-maria-bailey-interview-on-sean-o-rourke-show-1.3905867

There is no offside in football or camogie.

7000 in medical expenses seems a lot for a soft tissue injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

You can be as pedantic as you like with words but the fact remains that Leo Vradkar and Fine Gael are happy to have people in their parliamentary party who are willing to be dishonest in order to get money that they are not entitled to.

It begs the question how many more members are doing things they shouldn't be in order to line their pockets safe in the knowledge that even if they are rumbled their place in the government / party is safe.

Vote Fine Gael for an ethics free government.

Like I asked, where did he make a claim that she lied.

Accusing someone of lying is quite a serious claim. Always has been.

He was careful with how he worded it, and rightly so...

Read up on what a lie is..

What do you class as a lie and not a lie?

SAying you only wanted medical expenses of 6-7k but you first put up a case for 60k, but also sent a letter for 20k and also admitted that health insurance paid for it

Or did you lie when you couldnt run for 3 month but done a run 10 days after

Or didnt lie when submitting a case saying you where not at fault when you admit to holding a drink and trying to grab a bottle of wine

Do we need to continue?

No need to ask me anything.

I was responding to a poster regarding Leo..ask him.

You dont think Varadkar said she was telling lies?

Play with words all you want

The whole story is one lie after another....Leo cannot come out and confirmed she lied because he has tried to hide the story for 3 months now

Nobody is trying to claim she lied, she went onto radio and lied....she could play the high ground apart from the interview

Did she lie? Yes
    Can she be trusted? No

That’s all that matters

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Seeing as this whole affair blew up because she was caught out telling lies, namely saying she couldn't run for 3 months yet ran a decent 10k 3 weeks after the incident.....

Makes this whole thesaurus searching word play crap moot.

She lied, she was caught out.... And more lies were discovered after that.

You dont think Varadkar said she was telling lies?

He didn't. This is clear-cut...:p

Not sure why I need to explain this..

Leo did not claim or accuse that MB was telling lies...

Had he done so, he himself could have found himself in a spot of bother.

He was careful with how he worded his views on it

Does he believe or think she told lies? Possibly. Only he can answer this.

• Advertisement

Nobody is trying to claim she lied, she went onto radio and lied....she could play the high ground apart from the interview

Did she lie? Yes
    Can she be trusted? No

That’s all that matters

A poster said that Leo said that MB was telling lies

I pointed out that this was untrue. No more no less...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement