Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭JPCN1

'As far as I'm concerned this matter is now closed'

Oh, if only it were that easy Maria. This is going to haunt you and your colleagues will remember, business owners and the public will remember and be reminded no doubt.

I don't see how she cannot be investigated, some guy was caught doing bodybuilding whilst having a claim in for a debilitating back injury and it was thrown out with talk of prison. If she dropped her claim, she's a fraudster..10km run a few weeks later?? that's shocking stuff. she's wiping her hole with the electorate there and her party knows it. I think these guys take the word Party in the wrong context.. Reading about the 10km has me fuming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

JPCN1 wrote: »
    'As far as I'm concerned this matter is now closed'

Oh, if only it were that easy Maria. This is going to haunt you and your colleagues will remember, business owners and the public will remember and be reminded no doubt.

Has she apologised to the swing yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

well her credibility is obviously shot but if i were her friend i would encourage her to do the decent thing and to bow out of politics thereby maybe salvaging her last scrap of integrity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,322 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd say it's unlikely that she'll quit as a TD, that would require integrity, which she is clearly missing. However FG should withdraw the whip and boot her out of the party, even if it's for no other reason than she's now toxic and they're being associated with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd say it's unlikely that she'll quit as a TD, that would require integrity, which she is clearly missing. However FG should withdraw the whip and boot her out of the party, even if it's for no other reason than she's now toxic and they're being associated with her.

She seems quick to sue, they'd want to be very careful with the reasoning for booting her out. It would want to be very clearly defined and proven bad enough against policy to warrant it.

But, it shouldn't be up to them. From the highest level up she should be told to leave politics. No one will support her to stay, as they too will then be the dopes that no one will trust again. No one will want to be associated with her if they have 2 brain cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

She seems quick to sue, they'd want to be very careful with the reasoning for booting her out. It would want to be very clearly defined and proven bad enough against policy to warrant it.

But, it shouldn't be up to them. From the highest level up she should be told to leave politics. No one will support her to stay, as they too will then be the dopes that no one will trust again. No one will want to be associated with her if they have 2 brain cells.

In fairness, she's been found to be fabricating a story to go to the courts and defraud a business. Any solicitor worth their salt should be able to word a sacking to leave her no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Has she resigned yet?

No. And she won't resign. Only options are for FG to kick her out or for them to give her no support at the next GE. They could force her to not stand. In Dun Laoghaire you could put a FG badge on Osama bin Laden and they'd vote him in.

So option is to have a selection by the members before next GE, make it clear that Leo and Co want the other candidate and force her out that way. Problem is that she has some very close allies in FG and it could get interesting.
    well her credibility is obviously shot but if i were her friend i would encourage her to do the decent thing and to bow out of politics thereby maybe salvaging her last scrap of integrity

People raised like her do not do the decent thing, they believe that this country owes them a living and our sole function is to vote for them every 5 years.

I thought she would drop the claim - I mentioned this in a post earlier today - but it's a different kettle of fish to get her to drop the cushy job. See the brass neck on her neighbour Mary Hanafin for an example. Also the daughter of a politician, cushy life, reckons that we should be grateful for her standing for election. These people are deluded.

Could be a General Election in October and it could get interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not just defrauding a business, by extension defrauding every single one of us goons who pay insurance.

Ah, sure, isn't she a great girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

There will be very little coverage of this decision now, and by Monday it will be old news.

It really shouldn't be.

If there's clear evidence she falsified information on her claim regarding the longevity of her recovery time from injury (and it would appear there is), FG must make her answerable for that.

If she can't provide satisfactory answers, she should be expelled from the party.

Varadkar has no credibility if he lets this slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

I'd imagine the insurance company is at a loss for its administration work associated with the claim and its enquiries, investigations and legal costs.

I wonder will they pursue her in court for the recovery of their losses.

In the event that there is anything suspicious about the claim I'm sure they will make a complaint to Gardaí and a Garda investigation will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Will she be caught ror the hotel's legal expenses ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Shocking as it may seem, I don't think it will do her vote any harm. It's not as if FFG or any Irish political party are known for having any integrity. The majority of Irish voters are not as into integrity as you think. In fact having any integrity is a distinct disadvantage in Irish politics. Prime example being the easy reelection this weekend of the three county Councillors prime time done a sting operation on over three years ago. It didn't effect their political career one bit. I'd like to see Prime time do a similar sting on some of the government ministers, but we all know they only have the balls to go after rural low level gombeeen county Councillors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There will be very little coverage of this decision now, and by Monday it will be old news.

So it was a clever manouver from the point-of-view of minimising pressure on her position.

What's more likely is that the FG press and spin doctors will put pressure on the media to ease off mentioning the story too much in return for some juicy titbits or access to something in a week or two.

The one good thing is the publicity that it has generated, the fact that the claim is spurious and that she is so well known. It can be used as a future reference when trying to out pressure for legislation on personal responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sunday Papers must be livid. How much would they have preferred a Monday dropping of her case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sunday Papers must be livid. How much would they have preferred a Monday dropping of her case ?

What do you mean? They have tacit admission that she was trying on a fraudulent claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

lawred2 wrote: »
    They have tacit admission that she was trying on a fraudulent claim.

No, she is just dropping her claim. At some point, the hounding starts to outweight the gain from the claim, so on balance, she drops it. Admission of nothing in that.

In fairness, she's been found to be fabricating a story to go to the courts and defraud a business. Any solicitor worth their salt should be able to word a sacking to leave her no comeback.
    I don't think she can be kicked out of the party without the party conducting some kind of internal inquiry, but the party would be entitled to suspend her without prejudice (this is the course that Fianna Fáil took with Ivor Callely, who then resigned).

Bailey may not have the same level of cop-on as Ivor Callely, mind you, which is really saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No, she is just dropping her claim. At some point, the hounding starts to outweight the gain from the claim, so on balance, she drops it. Admission of nothing in that.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Pure fine Gael scum next time the least she can do is snap her neck in two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

That’s nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That’s nice.

She's earned that thought though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Perhaps if she hadn't been found out to have knowingly submitting false Information in respect of her claim, then it would not have been necessary to drop the claim.
    Unfortunately she will not be be persued by the courts for submitting a false claim in an attempt to gain monetary compensation.
    She's not fit to represent her honest constituents and should resign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

That’s nice.

She's been found out as a typical money grabbing trough scoffing fine Gael parasite, I couldn't give a f#ck about her or her ilk, exactly the same way they feel about everyone else. If this is the world they want well fine same old Tory for me or as her type would say me me me me me me me me me me me me me me..........

She'll hardly snap her neck as she obviously has a neck as thick as a jockey's- you know what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not much hope of Leo booting her out of the party, he was already out with the weasel words this afternoon
    Mr Varadkar said that the matter was a private one for Bailey over an incident that occured "before she was even elected to the Dail".

Except he fails to mention when this swing incident happened Maria Bailey was a paid up member of Fine Gael and selected by them to run for the party as a TD.

Leo wouldn't have the balls to sack her. Especially now we know that she is Simon Harris' cousin, cant be doing that to family, etc.

What Bailey did is still attempted fraud. Hopefully the McKillen group counter sue her for their legal costs and the Gardai investigate this matter. It should not be swept under the carpet in the way Bailey and Varadkar want it to be.

Your either a friend, family or simply deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Nah, Leo it's not a private matter. Very weak effort 1/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭golfball37

She lied in an affidavit. She said she couldn’t run for 3 months under oath. She lied she should be prosecuted for perjury imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement