Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As has been pointed out in similar threads were we are told 'there are more important issues' we are capable of watching many different things. When it comes to Fine Gael credibility Bailey will be raised.
    Well it is summer, nothing is happening politically. From September I'd expect Brexit to ramp up its lunacy. It'll be on all day every day. Then it's the Brexit-infused Budget and then maybe an election in the Spring. That's when you can go back to the credibility stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The key date is when Madigan gets asked the tough questions. People care more about annual insurance premiums than Brexit. Madigan is without doubt withholding vital information. She is a minister and the opposition/press will target her. The Dun Laoghaire selection will also be fascinating.

Farrell also needs to keep the head down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Varadkar was a fool to treat this like he did.

The key date is when Madigan gets asked the tough questions. People care more about annual insurance premiums than Brexit. Madigan is without doubt withholding vital information. She is a minister and the opposition/press will target her. The Dun Laoghaire selection will also be fascinating.
    The DL selection was made last year in June. Third candidate is Barry Ward.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The DL selection was made last year in June. Third candidate is Barry Ward.

There's many a slip twixt cup and lip

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/swinggate-maria-bailey-facing-growing-calls-from-within-fine-gael-not-to-run-in-next-general-election-38357881.html
    Fine Gael TD Fergus O’Dowd broke ranks yesterday to publicly call on Ms Bailey not to run for re-election in Dún Laoghaire and a senior Fine Gael source said Mr O’Dowd’s views were shared privately by many in the party. “She’s damaging us across the country,” the senior party figure said.
    Fine Gael Junior Minister Patrick O’Donovan yesterday declined to endorse Ms Bailey’s candidacy and told RTÉ the final decision would lie with party members in Dún Laoghaire, Dublin, and the party’s national executive.
    Fine Gael TD Noel Rock said: “Back in May I said I believed this type of thing is incompatible with Fine Gael values. My view remains unchanged. Changing a ticket is a matter for our national executive, it’s up to them to consider that.”
    Another Fine Gael minister said privately: "I don't think she has a snowball's chance of being elected. If she's going to be a negative towards Fine Gael and cost us a seat, well those are circumstances you can't ignore."
    "People reckon she'll lose her seat anyway but it's worse than that, she's damaging us across the country. We have many able replacement candidates in that constituency. It is a key constituency for us."
    Fine Gael Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown councillor Kazi Ahmed said that Ms Bailey "should think twice before she puts her name forward for consideration" and added that the controversy had "damaged" the party in Dublin.

Fine Gael's election tickets are being reviewed by Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe and party sources have acknowledged that Ms Bailey's candidacy could hang in the balance. Any decision to remove her from the ticket would be taken by Fine Gael's national executive.

Let's just wait and see...

• Advertisement

There's many a slip twixt cup and lip

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/swinggate-maria-bailey-facing-growing-calls-from-within-fine-gael-not-to-run-in-next-general-election-38357881.html

Fine Gael's election tickets are being reviewed by Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe and party sources have acknowledged that Ms Bailey's candidacy could hang in the balance. Any decision to remove her from the ticket would be taken by Fine Gael's national executive.
    I think their preference will be for her to exit over deselection. I'd be surprised if they push it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭golfball37

Even if she’s deselected, Varadkar still looks weak for the way he handled it. The damage has been done

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I am not in her constituency but if this woman is on the FG ticket ...I will be telling FG canvassers that that they have no chance of any vote from this poster .

there is more to come on this .....focus will switch to the advice she got and from whom ......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What reason are the insurance companies giving for the increased premiums?

I think insurance fraud will haunt FG for a long long time.

Because insurance costs,and its implications affect every single person in the country. From creches for infants to hearse's and everything in between.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I think the Indo aren't done with this story

Funny enough Leo's master plan to bury the story on the day as Boris Johnson election backfired

The Bailey report was still the main story of the day

I feel that there are more pressing issues atm, the poor family in Malaysia, Spain,the Fleadh, exams,and GAA. I think MB will explode onto the front pages again very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I think MB will explode onto the front pages again very soon.
    Will she sue if that happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Kivaro wrote: »
    I think MB will explode onto the front pages again very soon.
    Haha for what? I'd say she will be slow to take any legal action for awhile....... at least till after the next election anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I would imagine she herself would still have no problems making a claim. The problem for her is that the papers will likely run with any story if she does. Even it is a legit claim 20 years from now.
    They will be watching out for any variations of her name or married name in Irish, Spanish, Portuguese etc. :pac:
    I would imagine Farrell is also treading on very thin ice. The slightest wrong foot and he will be the focal point of a bigger article.
    The print expenses were in the paper the other day, both of them named but a fairly nothingish story. Might have been a bigger story if their expenses were properly reigned in.

Farrells expenses under watchful eyes.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/4430152/taxpayers-foot-bill-alan-farrell-trips-compo-claim/
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/08/13/a-receipt-for-a-e3-train-fare-was-also-claimed/
    Taxpayers foot €3k bill for Fine Gael whiplash compo claim TD Alan Farrell’s trips abroad while he suffered ‘pain’ from prang injuries
    and
    ‘A Receipt For A €3 Train Fare Was Also Claimed’

Kivaro wrote: »

I dont mean she'll sue, I believe the indo will go hell for leather on the story again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Would motor insurance be a claimable expense that a TD would be reimbursed on? I mean, they get travel allowance, so it could be that it's a business expense needed to get them from and to their place of work?

I'm genuinely not sure, but if it is, it's another example of them being cushioned by a normal expense the rest of us get saddled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Would motor insurance be a claimable expense that a TD would be reimbursed on? I mean, they get travel allowance, so it could be that it's a business expense needed to get them from and to their place of work?

I'm genuinely not sure, but if it is, it's another example of them being cushioned by a normal expense the rest of us get saddled with.

No, well its not for other public service workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

no their travel allowance is supposed to cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

golfball37 wrote: »
    Even if she’s deselected, Varadkar still looks weak for the way he handled it. The damage has been done

Not only this but in numerous other ways also, cowardly, hypocritical, sly to name a few.

God as bad as Kenny, Cowan & Ahern were, at least you know what you were getting with them to a large degree. This guy is as sneaky and opportunistic as they come along with being totally incompetent. National broadband fiasco, childrens hospital fiasco, this, housing crisis.

Frances Fitzgerald as Tanaiste (wtf), Eoghan Murphy as housing minister (totally out of his depth), Simon Harris as minister for health (god almighty), Madigan as Minister of Culture, Regina Doherty as minister for social protection, the list goes on.

He had plenty to say when he was a minister, full of soundbites and playing up to the media.

The biggest disgrace of a taoiseach bar none, I cant wait to see the back of him and this government, maybe then he can find more time to go on his marches around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Not surprised, instead of actually doing something about this ridiculous compensation culture that has developed, he is more likely to have a meeting with his strategic communications unit for more spin at our expense. Who does this guy really think he is? He wasn't even elected legitimately by the people of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

no their travel allowance is supposed to cover that.

So they're still insulated from it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So they're still insulated from it regardless.

they get travel allowance like every public servant. that allowance does not increase if their insurance increases.

I dont mean she'll sue, I believe the indo will go hell for leather on the story again.
    I was trying (badly) to be funny.

The idea of her literally exploding onto a newspaper might cause her to sue that newspaper for not being explosive-proof or having adequate notices on the newspaper about the attraction it has to explosive personalities ........... if she survived the initial explosion.

I was trying to describe the absurd ............ which to most of us represents her initial lawsuit to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

golfball37 wrote: »

Even if she is de-selected now the message is still that FG are okay with insurance fraud. It would also show his lack of leadership yet again, if he had of chosen that outcome to begin with face would have been saved. As it stand now theres egg all over it.

Unbelievable, insurance costs are completely out of control. Spoke to a taxi driver yesterday who is being asked for €12k for the year, said he is going out of business because its just not economical anymore

Meanwhile, Fine Gael's response to the insurance crisis in this country is as before (and in fact getting worse by them reversing initiatives that could stymie the Irish Insurance Cartel) :

InconsequentialPerfumedGadwall-max-1mb.gif

I heard Superman grazed his elbow in the Shelbourne door the other day and claimed 20,000 in medical expenses. Kryptonity has been crossed!

I'm looking forward to her deselection or not getting voted in (off they're insane enough to select her) headline,

"It's a swing and a miss"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Insurance is not....

Probably like most companies they could get either a government car and supposed to pay BIK on it or they get their own car and claim mileage

Based on the mileage claims most are going this route.....hard to keep a track of the old mileage....the two boyos in Kerry seem to be unable to travel in the same car up to Dublin for the Dail and claim huge mileage.....no discount given for the fact they are refueling at their own filling station:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

What reason are the insurance companies giving for the increased premiums?

I think insurance fraud will haunt FG for a long long time.

They didn't elaborate why her quotes were so high...but most of her quotes were north of €1 grand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Insurance is not....

Probably like most companies they could get either a government car and supposed to pay BIK on it or they get their own car and claim mileage

Based on the mileage claims most are going this route.....hard to keep a track of the old mileage....the two boyos in Kerry seem to be unable to travel in the same car up to Dublin for the Dail and claim huge mileage.....no discount given for the fact they are refueling at their own filling station:rolleyes:

The two boyos from Kerry don't get on at all. What you see in the Dáil and the press is put on. What I found sickening was when all 5 of them appeared on the late late show and one of them mentioned that they had all travelled separately. They made full sure they were creaming every last cent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement