Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The two boyos from Kerry don't get on at all. What you see in the Dáil and the press is put on. What I found sickening was when all 5 of them appeared on the late late show and one of them mentioned that they had all travelled separately. They made full sure they were creaming every last cent.

And yet the people of Kerry will continue to vote for them in their droves because they manged to fix a pothole (which they get independently paid for no doubt) or they went to some Uncle's funeral for a free lunch and to shake a few hands. Parish pump at it's worst but it wins votes in rural areas. I'm a big fan of voting independent, I always have done but if i had a choice between voting for a party or these gob****es i'd spoil my vote.

There really should be some form of intelligence test before you get to take up a seat and it should also be a requirement that you have real life proven experience in your portfolio because right now all I can see are a bunch of amateurs with very little real world experience outside of Dail Eireann, playing a grownups game and making and absolute mess of it. Our Kerry friends being a case in point. they're creaming it for themselves and their families but they add zero value to Irish life or politics other then giving us all something to laugh at from time to time.

Let's not even ask what Marie Bailey and her family have actually contributed over the years. We know they've taken plenty.

Even basic leadership skills are sadly lacking. Enda and Leo have been 2 of the worst leaders this country is ever likely to see. One couldn't get people to support his nonsense without a serious over reliance on the undemocratic party whip and the other is a complete wet blanket with zero talent and zero gravitas or balls to make up for his lack of talent. He can't even get the spin right anymore.

Until we finally get real root and branch reform Irish politics will continue to be the ineffective, self serving and wasteful quagmire that it is today serving no-one but the chosen few who decide to join and feed from the trough that is kept full by the over burdened tax payer.

This entire debacle just confirms how utterly rotten it has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

And yet the people of Kerry will continue to vote for them in their droves because they manged to fix a pothole (which they get independently paid for no doubt) or they went to some Uncle's funeral for a free lunch and to shake a few hands. Parish pump at it's worst but it wins votes in rural areas. I'm a big fan of voting independent, I always have done but if i had a choice between voting for a party or these gob****es i'd spoil my vote.

There really should be some form of intelligence test before you get to take up a seat and it should also be a requirement that you have real life proven experience in your portfolio because right now all I can see are a bunch of amateurs with very little real world experience outside of Dail Eireann, playing a grownups game and making and absolute mess of it. Our Kerry friends being a case in point. they're creaming it for themselves and their families but they add zero value to Irish life or politics other then giving us all something to laugh at from time to time.

Let's not even ask what Marie Bailey and her family have actually contributed over the years. We know they've taken plenty.

Even basic leadership skills are sadly lacking. Enda and Leo have been 2 of the worst leaders this country is ever likely to see. One couldn't get people to support his nonsense without a serious over reliance on the undemocratic party whip and the other is a complete wet blanket with zero talent and zero gravitas or balls to make up for his lack of talent. He can't even get the spin right anymore.

Until we finally get real root and branch reform Irish politics will continue to be the ineffective, self serving and wasteful quagmire that it is today serving no-one but the chosen few who decide to join and feed from the trough that is kept full by the over burdened tax payer.

The problem is not the politicians...the problem is the voters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Shefwedfan wrote: »

It's not really though. Irish Education levels and average IQ have all increased since the foundation of the state, which would imply a more judicious electorate, not the mention the loss of influence of the church over people's voting habits. Yet spin obsessed grasping mediocrities have taken over politics.

In fact ever-increasing and ever-advancing marketing and PR techniques applied to politics has got us here, not the voters. This has favoured empty spin merchants over principled and talented people, who more and more have eschewed politics as a career and left it to the Leos, the Alan Farrells and the Maria Baileys. Take virtually any talented leader or statesman from the past and ask yourself would they even get past party selection nowadays, never mind the Love-Island-for-ugly-people that politics has become.

As usual the US and UK are a little farther down this road than us and have reached its conclusion; rejection of business as usual politics by an increasing number of people in favour of "authentic" demagogues who harvest their outrage and then fleece them blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Maria Bailey making it into the Indo today again, apparently Mitchell O'Connor has given a "Luke warm welcome" to any notion of her standing in the same constituency as her.

No doubt some buckets of water will be dousing that welcome post next opinion poll release, which incidentally has anyone else found these to be published a hell of a lot less recently?

During the water charges debacle, it seemed like such polls were being released on an almost weekly basis.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Maria Bailey making it into the Indo today again, apparently Mitchell O'Connor has given a "Luke warm welcome" to any notion of her standing in the same constituency as her.

No doubt some buckets of water will be dousing that welcome post next opinion poll release, which incidentally has anyone else found these to be published a hell of a lot less recently?

During the water charges debacle, it seemed like such polls were being released on an almost weekly basis.:confused:

The FG TDs and ministers are keeping the head down as much as possible during the Dail recess because they know they will get these questions. O'Connor had to peep out yesterday because the Leave Cert results were out.

Come September, there will be nowhere to hide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not only this but in numerous other ways also, cowardly, hypocritical, sly to name a few.

God as bad as Kenny, Cowan & Ahern were, at least you know what you were getting with them to a large degree. This guy is as sneaky and opportunistic as they come along with being totally incompetent. National broadband fiasco, childrens hospital fiasco, this, housing crisis.

Frances Fitzgerald as Tanaiste (wtf), Eoghan Murphy as housing minister (totally out of his depth), Simon Harris as minister for health (god almighty), Madigan as Minister of Culture, Regina Doherty as minister for social protection, the list goes on.

He had plenty to say when he was a minister, full of soundbites and playing up to the media.

The biggest disgrace of a taoiseach bar none, I cant wait to see the back of him and this government, maybe then he can find more time to go on his marches around the world.

I wish I could thank this twice.

I've been saying the same about Leo V since he was a minister, but this mess in particular has brought his ability (or lack thereof!) into the public consciousness in a big way.

As you rightly also point out though, it's not just our "(Prime) Minister for trendy causes" (as worthy as the causes themselves may be) that's the problem, it's the others he's appointed to key positions in his Government and who have failed miserably that are as much the issue as Leo himself.

I've said it before, but his crowning achievement will be to be even worse than his recent predecessors

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And a dearth of decent candidates. Parties at least deliver a coherent message. For minor parties and Indos they are barely failed council candidates. No point in ranting over the apparent inability of voters to see what you see. What we have actual control over is our own vote and we possess a voice to express our discontent directly to the bigger players.

That's a no comment dressed up as something else by a sub editor and journo. She has no influence over what will happen. Most polls come monthly, except around referenda and elections. Both Red C and B&A had one at the end of last month so there should be one from each round about the last weekend in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Simon Harris now dropping hints that he wants to be Taoiseach. I'd wonder does Coveney smell blood in the water over how Leo has handled this mess and is now using Harris as a willing stalking horse to plant the idea of a leadership change with Coveney then riding in to save the day. If FG come back with less seats than FF in the next election then the party membership (who voted for Coveney to begin with) is going to be very vocal about removing Leo. Harris coming out with his Taoiseach ambitions today suggests that Leo needs to watch his back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Simon Harris now dropping hints that he wants to be Taoiseach..

Delusional. Where the hell did FG find the current crop of style over substance misfits. It's laughable what's happening in FG, they were supposed to be our greatest hope, they were going to fix everything and sort everything and they are becoming worse than what went before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's a no comment dressed up as something else by a sub editor and journo. She has no influence over what will happen. Most polls come monthly, except around referenda and elections. Both Red C and B&A had one at the end of last month so there should be one from each round about the last weekend in August.

Nope. She refused to say anything past Leo made the decision and that's good enough for her, when asked point blank about Bailey.
    It would have been very easy to give the standard spiel, "I look forward to etc. etc.". She made a point of not doing that.
    Mind if Bailey does well they'll be kissing her arse. That's Fine Gael integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Simon Harris now dropping hints that he wants to be Taoiseach. I'd wonder does Coveney smell blood in the water over how Leo has handled this mess and is now using Harris as a willing stalking horse to plant the idea of a leadership change with Coveney then riding in to save the day. If FG come back with less seats than FF in the next election then the party membership (who voted for Coveney to begin with) is going to be very vocal about removing Leo. Harris coming out with his Taoiseach ambitions today suggests that Leo needs to watch his back.

Jesus christ he is the most incompetent gobsh1te of them all. He has achieved absolutely nothing positive.

Nope. She refused to say anything past Leo made the decision and that's good enough for her, when asked point blank about Bailey.
    It would have been very easy to give the standard spiel, "I look forward to etc. etc.". She made a point of not doing that.
    Mind if Bailey does well they'll be kissing her arse. That's Fine Gael integrity.
    I'd call it no comment. It wouldn't matter a whit in terms of the party choice. Come election time she'll pull on the blue shirt and fight for the party regardless of who they choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jesus christ he is the most incompetent gobsh1te of them all. He has achieved absolutely nothing positive.

He started as he meant to go on. He was a waster in his previous positions. He held on to the arrogance and snide remarks though. I expect him to go off out of the country after his little stint in government. I doubt he'll have any interest in the well being of the country after the top job ends for him.

Harris running is a joke. He should have been sacked months ago.

is_that_so wrote: »
    And a dearth of decent candidates. Parties at least deliver a coherent message. For minor parties and Indos they are barely failed council candidates. No point in ranting over the apparent inability of voters to see what you see. What we have actual control over is our own vote and we possess a voice to express our discontent directly to the bigger players.

Kerry have alternatives and continue to vote in those buffoons plus family members for generations

That’s not the buffooons fault, that’s the voters fault

Kerry have alternatives and continue to vote in those buffoons plus family members for generations

I certainly wouldn't vote for them but I respect voters' rights to choose no matter what effect it has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Maybe Simon should do his job. The HSE is arguably getting worse and worse and his handling of the Children's hospital and Cervical Check were far beyond incompetence. You get the strong impression there is zero respect for him in the HSE.

I always preferred Leo over Coveney but Leo is really failing to impress across the board. This insurance fraud saga has weakened him considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If I was in their constituency. I'd vote for them.

Simon Harris now dropping hints that he wants to be Taoiseach.

Clown cant run a health service, now he wants to run a country ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Maybe Simon should do his job. The HSE is arguably getting worse and worse and his handling of the Children's hospital and Cervical Check were far beyond incompetence. You get the strong impression there is zero respect for him in the HSE.

His handling of the Cervical Check scandal has been pretty dire. Promises to resolve it have been broken and now a whole new raft of smear tests have expired as they werent tested in time. Then you've women getting letters to say that they are negative when previous letters said they were positive. Its a massive clusterfcuk and more women are going to get cancer because of it.

I dont question that he wants to do the right thing but it just seems he is not in control of his department and that decisions are being made behind his back and without his knowledge.

• Advertisement

Was out for a pint last night (had 2, dont tell sailor bor). Anyway I was talking to the landlord of the premises a man of 70 ish years and hes always voted FG. Next election SF are getting his vote.(I needed a drink when I heard that). Hes disgusted with the way veruka is tripping along,wont get in competent people and throw the flotsam overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was also talking to a couple of women a few weeks ago (maybe posted it here) who voted FG all of their lives. One is in AF constituency, not sure if the other is.
    Neither will vote FG next election. The one in Farrells area said that she couldn't vote FF and wasn't sure who was left in her area. The one I'm unsure of said she will be voting Sinn Fein and maybe Greens.
    I threw soc dems to them, but have no idea if there is a soc dem candidate for them.
    It was after talking to them that everyone that was in the local shop all got talking about politics :D The next two times I visited the conversation was brought up again.
    I think the swing claim made a lot of people look a little harder at the people they voted for. The lack of action just highlighted FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭jmreire

Why do you think that Kerry People continually vote in the Healy-Rae's ( and rumor had it after the last election, that a 3rd Healy-Rae stood a good chance of getting elected too...) despite they have alternative candidate's??
    Could it have anything to do with the fact that they look after their constituent's? Same apply's to Lowery in North Tipp...... top's the poll each time.:) And you can call it any kind of politic's you like, but the bottom line is that for the foreseeable future, the Healy- Rae's will be a common sight in Dail Eireann.

jmreire wrote: »
    Why do you think that Kerry People continually vote in the Healy-Rae's ( and rumor had it after the last election, that a 3rd Healy-Rae stood a good chance of getting elected too...) despite they have alternative candidate's??
    Could it have anything to do with the fact that they look after their constituent's? Same apply's to Lowery in North Tipp...... top's the poll each time.:) And you can call it any kind of politic's you like, but the bottom line is that for the foreseeable future, the Healy- Rae's will be a common sight in Dail Eireann.

People have posted on here about getting a driveway done when it shouldn't so they voted him back in

What they don't seem to realize is that they are actually paying for the driveway, in taxes....also what they did admit for the driveway it was Haely Rae own company which done it....of course all the family are also on the pay roll and the government is paying..... which is in fact the people of Kerry are paying

The voters don't seem to realize this and I agree will continue to vote them in....so no I don't blame the Healy Raes....I blame the idiots voting them in

People have posted on here about getting a driveway done when it shouldn't so they voted him back in

What they don't seem to realize is that they are actually paying for the driveway, in taxes....also what they did admit for the driveway it was Haely Rae own company which done it....of course all the family are also on the pay roll and the government is paying..... which is in fact the people of Kerry are paying

The voters don't seem to realize this and I agree will continue to vote them in....so no I don't blame the Healy Raes....I blame the idiots voting them in

Oh, I'm pretty sure that Kerry people know full well what is going on, and how thing's work in the world....and as far as they are concerned, if it was not the Healy-Rae's, it would be some one else....so why not the Healy -Rae's ( and the Lowry's ) ????? After all , they are " One of our own " !!! And the bottom line? The road was done, and the grant for Paddy was sorted. They helped with the auld planning problem for Mick,and as for the non-contributory pension for Mary...Shure where would we be without them? The fact is, every week in every area, Politicians hold "clinic's", to do exactly the very same as the Healy-Rae's are doing in Kerry, and Lowry is doing in North Tipp. But it would seem that the Healy -Rae's and Lowry are more successfull than a lot of other's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Isn't the whole idea to vote for a candidate that's doing good things for your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

jmreire wrote: »
    Oh, I'm pretty sure that Kerry people know full well what is going on, and how thing's work in the world....and as far as they are concerned, if it was not the Healy-Rae's, it would be some one else....so why not the Healy -Rae's ( and the Lowry's ) ????? After all , they are " One of our own " !!! And the bottom line? The road was done, and the grant for Paddy was sorted. They helped with the auld planning problem for Mick,and as for the non-contributory pension for Mary...Shure where would we be without them? The fact is, every week in every area, Politicians hold "clinic's", to do exactly the very same as the Healy-Rae's are doing in Kerry, and Lowry is doing in North Tipp. But it would seem that the Healy -Rae's and Lowry are more successfull than a lot of other's.

The media like to paint the Healy-Rae's as backwards gombeen bogmen but they'd buy and sell most other politicians.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The media like to paint the Healy-Rae's as backwards gombeen bogmen but they'd buy and sell most other politicians.

And the same apply's to the " Kerry Man / Woman " Joke's. Fair play to them, they laughed as much as anyone, which show's the depth of their sense of humor...they know very well where they stand business-wise. Many business man who thought he would be able to "pull a fast one" on a Kerry man,,,,,got a rude ( and very expensive ) awakening. Seem to remember reading from some article in the past, that outside Dublin, Kerry had the biggest Nr of millionaire's. Not sure if it's true presently, but would not surprise me...:)

So,you think the Kerry people who voted for the HR's are silly ;). They really worked their charm on you. I have some magic beans here,I can do you a good deal on them :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not sure how this came to this but people in Kerry vote for the HRs because they do unbelievable local work, unfortunately that’s not what they supposed to be doing they are elected to the country’s parliament to run the country not do the job of local councilors. They are very effective but not doing their jobs. To be fair same could be said for lots of politicians.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement