Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

salmocab wrote: »
    Not sure how this came to this but people in Kerry vote for the HRs because they do unbelievable local work, unfortunately that’s not what they supposed to be doing they are elected to the country’s parliament to run the country not do the job of local councilors. They are very effective but not doing their jobs. To be fair same could be said for lots of politicians.

We're going to have parish pump politicians in the dail as long as we have the ineffective system we have. These guys should be elected to the local government, where they'd compete with other local parish pump politicans and gombeens, for the same pot, instead of being elected to what should be the national legislature, and holding the country to ransom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Simon Harris displaying ambitions of being Taoiseach. What the **** is the basis of that?

He is overseeing a shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

is_that_so wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't vote for them but I respect voters' rights to choose no matter what effect it has.

Funny how this point of view goes out the window when it comes to Brexit from so many Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Suckit wrote: »
    I was also talking to a couple of women a few weeks ago (maybe posted it here) who voted FG all of their lives. One is in AF constituency, not sure if the other is.
    Neither will vote FG next election. The one in Farrells area said that she couldn't vote FF and wasn't sure who was left in her area. The one I'm unsure of said she will be voting Sinn Fein and maybe Greens.
    I threw soc dems to them, but have no idea if there is a soc dem candidate for them.
    It was after talking to them that everyone that was in the local shop all got talking about politics :D The next two times I visited the conversation was brought up again.
    I think the swing claim made a lot of people look a little harder at the people they voted for. The lack of action just highlighted FG.

I think Soc Dems are a good option. A lot of people don't have a clue who they are. My feeling is they are missing a trick on the PR/Marketing front. They need better engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We're going to have parish pump politicians in the dail as long as we have the ineffective system we have. These guys should be elected to the local government, where they'd compete with other local parish pump politicans and gombeens, for the same pot, instead of being elected to what should be the national legislature, and holding the country to ransom.

I post on the passport thread occasionally and I was saying over there a few months back that politicians shouldn’t be allowed sort peoples passports. There should be one system for emergencies and that’s it.
    Anyway this is straying way off the topic, I’m sure that as much as FG want it this story is not over. The indo have done great work on it and I suspect they have a bit more in the bank yet. Whether she’s pushed aside off the ticket will be the next big question.
    This is the sort of story that 5 or 10 years ago would have died before it got going but there is a mood in the country right now about insurance that is really pissing people off and MB had supremely bad timing on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Simon Harris displaying ambitions of being Taoiseach. What the **** is the basis of that?

Leo seemed to do ok after his stint as Minister for Health. Its not as toxic as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

tigger123 wrote: »
    Leo seemed to do ok after his stint as Minister for Health. Its not as toxic as people think.

In and of itself, perhaps not. Harris has shown himself to be incompetent at every juncture, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

He seemed to have done ok because the higher echelons within FG chose him to be leader, despite Coveney receiving double the popular votes from party members compared with Varadkar.

Young gay man of Indian heritage who had shag all substance behind him, especially in any of his ministerial roles where he achieved nothing of note whatsoever. (And don't even mention his fraud/cheat campaign lol)

Great for P.R though, and to try and attract lots of potential new young voters.

(Who can head off to far right conventions in Murica)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

He seemed to have done ok because the higher echelons within FG chose him to be leader, despite Coveney receiving double the popular votes from party members compared with Varadkar.

Young gay man of Indian heritage who had shag all substance behind him, especially in any of his ministerial roles where he achieved nothing of note whatsoever. (And don't even mention his fraud/cheat campaign lol)

Great for P.R though, and to try and attract lots of potential new young voters.

(Who can head off to far right conventions in Murica)

I'm no supporter of FG. His ethnic origin and sexuality had next to nothing to do with him being elected leader of his party.

There's a bit of a divide in FG between what happens in Dublin and the rest of the country, and the Dublin faction won out. That's how he was elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In and of itself, perhaps not. Harris has shown himself to be incompetent at every juncture, however.

He is certainly overseeing a shambles in terms of children's hospital and worsening health service generally by the day however from speaking to people who meet him regularly where he speaks publically, they say he is a brilliant speaker and can effortlessly talk at length across a broad range of topics. That is likely the skill he has and has made the most of it.
    Doesn't make him fit for purpose though.

• Advertisement

I'm no supporter of FG. His ethnic origin and sexuality had next to nothing to do with him being elected leader of his party.

There's a bit of a divide in FG between what happens in Dublin and the rest of the country, and the Dublin faction one out. That's how he was elected.

Very first sentence from the very first paragraph of an article on his selection.
    Leo Varadkar, the gay son of an Indian immigrant, is set to be Ireland's next Taoiseach. In news that has made international headlines, the 38-year-old was elected leader of Fine Gael, saying: "Prejudice has no hold in this Republic."
    link

Of course race/colour/creed/sexuality should be irrelevant, but the cynical might view Leo's selection over Coveney as a publicly stunt.

As previously mentioned there's no other glaring reason why he got given the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think Soc Dems are a good option. A lot of people don't have a clue who they are. My feeling is they are missing a trick on the PR/Marketing front. They need better engagement.
    They could be if they stood for anything more than a reelection platform for the co-leaders.

They could be if they stood for anything more than a reelection platform for the co-leaders.

You're having a laugh, Catherine Murphy's work on siteserv and O'Brien's cushy loans will ensure her re-election for a good few terms.

Implying she needed to establish a party to be re-elected is a nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Insurance strikers being highlighted on PK now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I can see a split forming within the party over Bailey, and there's not a man woman or beast is going to convince me that Leo is backing her to the hilt just because he's a good lad altogether, rather than because of Bailey's aforementioned thinly veiled threat to spill the beans.

Josepha my dear, keep the head down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Also Leo is the plant of the FG big boys not the party members. He's likely beholden to the likes of Bailey and her FG DNA clan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I can see a split forming within the party over Bailey, and there's not a man woman or beast is going to convince me that Leo is backing her to the hilt just because he's a good lad altogether, rather than because of Bailey's aforementioned thinly veiled threat to spill the beans.

Josepha my dear, keep the head down.

Not a hope of it, United We Stand and all that. If arms smuggling didn't divide another political party, you seriously think that swing-gate will do it for FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭jmreire

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Not a hope of it, United We Stand and all that. If arms smuggling didn't divide another political party, you seriously think that swing-gate will do it for FG?

United we stand, maybe, but voter's may ( and most likely will) have a different viewpoint.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

he'd probably do a better job than that windbag farce that is currently taoiseach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its hilarious that FG are prepared to lose power, that will happen to a lack of action on insurance, health, housing etc. Then when they can actually take action against the likes of MB, they still wont do it. Shows you what spineless rats they actually are!

a few posts back , it was mentioned apparently Mitchell O'Connor doesnt want MB running for election in the same constituency. That moron managed to drive her car down steps, in terms of idiocy, its probably worse judgement than the failed attempted fraud by MB!

I wonder did MB plan on giving JM a kickback for this attempted fraud, in addition to the cut the firm would have received anyway!

Funny how this point of view goes out the window when it comes to Brexit from so many Irish people.
    There's a difference between thinking Brexit is monumentally stupid and voters choosing it - their choice.

You're having a laugh, Catherine Murphy's work on siteserv and O'Brien's cushy loans will ensure her re-election for a good few terms.

Implying she needed to establish a party to be re-elected is a nonsense.
    Even Donnelly, idealist that he is, jumped ship on them. I wouldn't be holding my breath on them ever getting anyone else elected. They really don't stand for anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Even Donnelly, idealist that he is, jumped ship on them. I wouldn't be holding my breath on them ever getting anyone else elected. They really don't stand for anything at all.

I've said it else where on this thread.
    Based on their policies and leaders, voting SD should be a no brainer.

Unfortunately for the party, their standard of candidate is fairly low and tbh the standard of their canvassers and social media support is shockingly poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Interesting one. He could be setting the scene here.
    However, Mr Flanagan refused repeatedly to be drawn on whether Ms Bailey should be allowed to run again.

"I am not part of an investigative process, I am not a member of the national executive, I was for in excess of 15 years," he said.

"I am a former party chief whip, I am a former party chairman, I am a player on the team, I am not a selector. I don't decide," he said.

He said it was a matter for the local constituency organisation and the Fine Gael national executive as to whether Ms Bailey should be allowed to run.

That's a vote of no confidence if ever I saw one. From a senior minister too.

The questions will keep coming which will annoy Fine Gael TDs no end and Hide-and-Seek Madigan will have to come out of her bunker some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Does anybody know why the cctv of Conor McGregor has been released - presumably without any worry of legal action, and why Maria Baileys hasn't?
    Is there any difference on a GDPR level?

Tabnabs wrote: »

I dunno Tabs, there's a good few of them now have broken ranks and voiced their concerns about her still being potentially on a ticket. Flannigan is a cut above any of the rest of them though, love to be a fly on the wall when Leo pulls him up over that one.

Wait for the inevitable polls, how many more will speak out like Charlie?

Donnelly jumped ship on them, yet the others will only use the party to ensure their re election, what?

Donnelly has his eye on a ministerial position, hence his jumping ship, but it's not credible to suggest Shorthall or Murphy are using the party solely for re-election purposes, I repeat, Murphy's work on the siteserv deal FG struck with uncle Dinny will ensure her seat in the Dail for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kingstevii

Does anybody know why the cctv of Conor McGregor has been released - presumably without any worry of legal action, and why Maria Baileys hasn't?

Because its not the week before the elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It was released in the US

GDPR is only in Europe....US couldn't care less about GDPR......

US don't give a c**p about Bailey either but they do about McGregor so it was sold to US....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It was released in the US
    GDPR is only in Europe....US couldn't care less about GDPR......

US don't give a c**p about Bailey either but they do about McGregor so it was sold to US....

But it was still sold/released. Isn't that the main objection with GDPR?

If the bar was in the US then maybe, but it's not..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement