Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 canteringh

I am so glad I gave all my kids an hour long lecture on Health and Safety before they used the swing when they were smaller.There were a few mishaps as was to be expected, some grazed knees, a few tears but thankfully because of my foresight I should escape a negligence claim in my declining years. However I neglected to apply the same care prior to their see-saw play: should I be worried?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

canteringh wrote: »
    I am so glad I gave all my kids an hour long lecture on Health and Safety before they used the swing when they were smaller.There were a few mishaps as was to be expected, some grazed knees, a few tears but thankfully because of my foresight I should escape a negligence claim in my declining years. However I neglected to apply the same care prior to their see-saw play: should I be worried?

Only if their members of fine gael

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's embryonic, but there it is, the change.org petition

http://chng.it/6FHppP5n9Y

• Registered Users Posts: 21,008 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's all over now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

TCM wrote: »
    Your either a friend, family or simply deluded.

Or a TROL. Read the name. So many posters falling for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's all over now

For her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

People thinking she has ruined her political career maybe disappointed. Remember the 3 councillor's investigated by Primetime for attempting to solicit a bribe for a Wind farm back in 2015,all of them are on target to get re-elected. One even topping the poll. We the voting public are responsible for the state of politics in this country and the scum that is elected.

It's all over now

This is just training , future party leader

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Odhinn

People thinking she has ruined her political career maybe disappointed. Remember the 3 councillor's investigated by Primetime for attempting to solicit a bribe for a Wind farm back in 2015,all of them are on target to get re-elected. One even topping the poll. We the voting public are responsible for the state of politics in this country and the scum that is elected.

....look at Lowry FFS. This is nothing in comparison.

It's hard not to dispare and harder to constantly
    Not recognise anything of yourself in the arseholes being elected . Feckin vision and perspective ends either at the end of their noses of is imprisoned in a 4 year cycle . Disgusting shallow ignorant slimy snake oil salesmen and women

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

People who own local businesses should stand with each other and deny service on the grounds that they fear her making a false claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

She has dropped her claim finally.

Essentially an admission of fraud. Should resign as a TD.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/swing-case-td-maria-bailey-drops-compensation-claim-against-hotel-38147952.html

There is some unbelievable comments from her.

-
    Ms Bailey now says: "I had nothing to hide. I had an accident, I was hurt and I had medical bills as a result of the accident.”

She has decided to withdraw the case because "the past week has been very difficult for my family" and is a distraction from her political work.

Does she actually believe what she is saying or does she expect other people to believe it? :eek:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

-
    Ms Bailey now says: "I had nothing to hide. I had an accident, I was hurt and I had medical bills as a result of the accident.”

She has decided to withdraw the case because "the past week has been very difficult for my family" and is a distraction from her political work.

Does she actually believe what she is saying or does she expect other people to believe it? :eek:

She also neglects to mention that the hotel offered to pay those bills...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Prime Investigates Trio Hugh McElvaney, Joe Queenan and John O'Donnell all look set to be reelected to their local councils.

Corrupt practices exposed on tv and they breeze in. What the **** is wrong with people.

Maria Bailey will still be in politics in 5 years despite lodging a clearly fraudulent insurance claim. Bent Arseholes the lot of them. The people who vote for them not much better.

lawred2 wrote: »
    She also neglects to mention that the hotel offered to pay those bills...

€600 as a show of good faith and this cnut was running 10k she's a perfect fit for fine gael

-

To be honest, from what I've seen of Bailey's lack of foresight and gumption so far, I'd be surprised if she's the one actually penning these statements, she quite possibly is lacking the iq to do so herself.

I would normally assume a legal team would be stepping in and writing statements on behalf of schmucks who aren't the most bubbly can in the fridge, but seeing the absolutely ludicrous grounds given for pursuing this claim, I'm left wondering about the integrity of Madigans too.

I'm gonna chalk it down to arrogance, a prime example of them just thinking they'd get away with it, easy money all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's all over now

It's all over now, Bailey blew

it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Will she be caught ror the hotel's legal expenses ?

She will have to file a notice of discontinuance to the court. The defendant in the matter can make an application for costs upon receipt of the notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The climbdown comes after Independent.ie revealed that the Fine Gael backbencher took part in a 10km race three weeks after the fall.

Just to remind us.

She doesn't seem to realize it was her own fault.

Fraudster , cheat , shyster, cnut , greedmonger , scumbag , liar , parasite, sleeveen , scammer , conwoman , Madoff, swindler , crook , hoaxer , defrauder, embezzled, scoundrel , glib tongue ,

LAWBREAKER

SUE ME YOU ****IN DISPICABLE CHEAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

Why on earth would a sitting TD go through with a contentious injury claim? It was only going to end up bad for her even if she did get the damages she was looking for. Why did someone from Fine Gael headquarters not step in earlier I’m sure some of her political colleagues would have known she was doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

SeaFields wrote: »
    She will have to file a notice of discontinuance to the court. The defendant in the matter can make an application for costs upon receipt of the notice.

I hope the costs cripple her as she deserves to be seriously out of pocket for her bare cheek taking such a ridiculous case!

Is a judge entitled to query this, in light of what has been said in the media, which strongly implies that she misled the Court under oath?

Or is the Court obliged to disregard media reporting in all aspects of the case?

If it is the former, I don't see how any reasonable and responsible judge can just overlook the strong possibility that his or her Court was misled. Maybe even lied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I hope the costs cripple her as she deserves to be seriously out of pocket for her bare cheek taking such a ridiculous case!
    Hopefully the hotel will stick her for a good few thousand in legal costs

Edgware wrote: »
    Hopefully the hotel will stick her for a good few thousand in legal costs
    I reckon that's pretty much a given. In most civil cases, it's the losing party who pays both sides' costs.

Bailey hasn't officially lost, but her claims are clearly without foundation. Unless the respondent is an extremely beneovelent and Christian-minded individual (not typical of niteclub owners on Harcourt Street!), Bailey will almost certainly have to pay costs for both sides. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Is a judge entitled to query this, in light of what has been said in the media, which strongly implies that she misled the Court under oath?

Or is the Court obliged to disregard media reporting in all aspects of the case?

If it is the former, I don't see how any reasonable and responsible judge can just overlook the strong possibility that his or her Court was misled. Maybe even lied to.

I'm not sure but I don't think it has been before the court yet? Initiating documents and affadavits filed probably so a judge probably hasn't been involved at all.

I'm not sure to be honest where the responsibility lies with regards investigation - a few posters have quoted a section of legislation - but I suspect any application for costs by the defendant will emphasize what you say.

(I'm not a solicitor just find this area interesting!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

out of pocket for her bare cheek taking such a ridiculous case!

I think the whole point is that her 'bare cheek' took a ridiculous Fall!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure but I don't think it has been before the court yet? Initiating documents and affadavits filed probably so a judge probably hasn't been involved at all.
    I'm not a solicitor either, but it's certainly come before the County Reg, and affidavits have been lodged to the Circuit Court, which of course are averred under oath.

Sooo... I don't see how a judge or a County Reg can't be moved to irritation when reading in the newspapers that a plaintiff who swore she couldn't run, was in fact running 10k races.

I just don't see how any court can look at such obviously incongruous evidence from a claimant and say "whatever!". I'd like to think they expect claimants to be honest and accurate under oath (even if "only" in affidavits).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement