Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So she didn’t try to defraud a hotel by making a fake claim then?
    That might not be forgotten come March.
    Well if she's not running why would they remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

is_that_so wrote: »

That's a fair point but any FG candidate knocking on my door will be asked questions about FG's attitude towards insurance scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

People will remember FGs inaction when the story broke and only doing something when it wouldn’t go away. They badly messed this up and lots of candidates will hear insurance mentioned.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    That's a fair point but any FG candidate knocking on my door will be asked questions about FG's attitude towards insurance scammers.
    That's your prerogative. I think politicians want to find a way to dampen down enthusiasm for large claims, because of the knock-on effects.

salmocab wrote: »
    People will remember FGs inaction when the story broke and only doing something when it wouldn’t go away. They badly messed this up and lots of candidates will hear insurance mentioned.
    They may or they may not but it will be an old story by then. It often depends on the quality of what they are up against. A FF or FG vote is the main question for most voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sigh, again with the faux naivety.

The whole saga goes deeper than Maria Bailey's personal injury claim, the electorate will remember how a fellow FG TD gave the initial legal advice (lack of supervision and signage lol) and how, when the dung hit the big mechanical whirly thing, Leo protected both by doing the usual "independent investigation" that he initially said he didn't know if he'd publish as "he'd need to see it first", which later evolved into him not being able to publish when he presumably seen how big a stroke the two of them concocted to pull.

All while the country is in the grip of an insurance crisis.

Oh, and did I mention Alan Farrell?

And lastly, even if we're told Maria Bailey isn't running, I'll have to take it with a pinch of salt.

Wasn't her not running/actually running part and parcel of the whole dung heap her and the claims culture minister created ?

They may or they may not but it will be an old story by then. It often depends on the quality of what they are up against. A FF or FG vote is the main question for most voters.

Keep telling yourself that chief. Sure haven't the three amigo's been telling us it'll be old news in a few weeks since last May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet a weeks wages that this thread is still going come election time.

Yes of course this thread will be running. That's because online cranks with axes to grind will continue to post in it. Thankfully the deranged and obsessed posters of boards.ie are not indicative of your average voter so no one will give a sh1t that this thread is still going.

They may or they may not. It often depends on the quality of what they are up against. A FF or FG vote is the main question for most voters.

Indeed but transfers are where most politicians get their seats in the end so whilst the core vote might not be too affected the transfers might take a bit of a hit and losing even a couple of hundred transfers might lose a TD a seat.

Yes of course this thread will be running. That's because online cranks with axes to grind will continue to post in it. Thankfully the deranged and obsessed posters of boards.ie are not indicative of your average voter so no one will give a sh1t that this thread is still going.

You will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I don't agree with it for what it's worth.

But to be fair she's suffered quite a lot. She's taken it all on the chin and despite her stupid decision to go on SOR without a media briefing, she's kept shtum since. If she's not rewarded in some way then there is no incentive for party members to toe the line in future.

Why would she be rewarded?

If she is FG can say goodbye to another group of supporters......

• Advertisement

Indeed but transfers are where most politicians get their seats in the end so whilst the core vote might not be too affected the transfers might take a bit of a hit and losing even a couple of hundred transfers might lose a TD a seat.
    Yeah but first you need to see what level of support a TD actually has and where the parties are around election time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

People Have been saying this would go away for literally months...and it hasn't.
    Still see it on various websites, still on social media etc.

I hope there is more to come. FG deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

tototoe wrote: »
    People Have been saying this would go away for literally months...and it hasn't.

It’s gone quiet because the government are off, wait till she tries to pop her head up again

The voters are sick of it now

tototoe wrote: »

Of course the story won't be going away, that ship sailed in May when Bailey's infamous interview was aired, and Leo tried to sweep it under the rug.

I agree with the poster above me who earlier mentioned that someone in the Indo is strategically running these stories, I honestly thought it might have quietened down a bit until sept at most, but there you go, it's just gone and made headlines today again, and being discussed on various social media sites again.

Madigans "I'm beyond reproach" arrogant statement will bite her on her arse I think.

Why in under fcuk does she wrongly believe she's beyond reproach?

In my opinion the story will only reside when the following has happened,

Bailey's fallen on her sword.
    Madigans fallen on her sword.
    Varadkar fallen on his sword.

Alan Farrell is shot with balls of his own sh1te.

And even then, each election the public will be reminded of the insurance scam and the contempt that they hold for the public when caught with the knickers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Lads, you all really are getting worker up about nothing. Very poor analysis by people here. Who was it who said this is a bigger issue than brexit. Jesus. Get a grip.

A deal/agreement has been reached with Bailey. She's not running in the next GE, she will be looked after in another way. I haven't been told exactly how but I suspect a state board appointment... Won't be a seanad seat.

Good to know that Fine gael will be rewarding an insurance scammer with a state job ,shows what an ethical party they are.

Madigan has been cleared.
    then lets see the report to prove it

The mckillans are no fans of FG but they know what side their bread is buttered on. Pressup stand to lose a lot from not just FG of they meddle in affairs like this. They will keep their head down (as they have through the whole affair). There will be no CCTV.
    Threats as well?

I'm March people won't know who Marie Bailey is.
    Delusional :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That's your prerogative. I think politicians want to find a way to dampen down enthusiasm for large claims, because of the knock-on effects.

They made a poor fist of trying to dampen down this claim in fairness. It looked all along as if they were hoping it would die a natural death which was the wrong way to deal with it. She should have been given gate and that would have dampened it down for good. It will effect them in the next election.

They made a poor fist of trying to dampen down this claim in fairness. It looked all along as if they were hoping it would die a natural death which was the wrong way to deal with it. She should have been given gate and that would have dampened it down for good. It will effect them in the next election.
    I'm talking about legislation, not MB. It needs to addressed pretty urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

I she's kept shtum since. If she's not rewarded in some way then there is no incentive for party members to toe the line in future.
    And if she is there is no incentive for them to be honest.

And if she is there is no incentive for them to be honest.

Paddy never seems to think that far ahead, it's all damage limitation with him.

He's advocating rewarding someone for unscrupulous behaviour or otherwise there's no incentive for people not to be unscrupulous.

That's an oxymoron if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Did they not think for a minute "if the electorate found out I fell off a swing with a beer in my hand and tried to claim damages with another td representing me" wtf were they thinking

The whole thing is a case of "What was Maria thinking?!" however the Dáil arithmetic means she needs to be kept onside until Brexit occurs or not, then not run for the next Dáil, worse politicians have survived a lot worse than she has done, so she's "hard done by" in that respect (admittedly, they went for re-election and got the votes, Lowry, Wallace, Adams etc.), but FG would be onto a loser to run her in one of the constituencies where people are spending a lot of money on various forms of insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

A deal/agreement has been reached with Bailey. She's not running in the next GE, she will be looked after in another way. I haven't been told exactly how but I suspect a state board appointment... Won't be a seanad seat.
    But to be fair she's suffered quite a lot. She's taken it all on the chin and despite her stupid decision to go on SOR without a media briefing, she's kept shtum since. If she's not rewarded in some way then there is no incentive for party members to toe the line in future.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that she will be rewarded for not 'ratting out' any other 'bad eggs' etc..

And you think that by not doing so, is a good thing? For politics or FG?
    I'm not so naive that I don't think there is corruption at every level, but you literally make them sound like a criminal organisation.

Just change 'party members' to 'mafia'..

Why should there be an incentive for that? Surely, (in an ideal world) politicians would want us to know the other bad eggs, and removing them would be incentive enough for anyone that wants to better the country?

There is far too much in both thost posts to comment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Leisure centre in Kildare forced to close as it struggles to secure insurance https://jrnl.ie/4784914

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

An absolute classic post! I laughed out loud. Fair play! Jaysus you are doing FG no favours.

Maybe Irish Water? The superquango that was set up in a cloud of arrogance, corruption and cronyism. Suits you Madame! :)
    Good idea not to choose the Seanad, we all remember how FG botched the referendum (on purpose) and then promised reform (but didn't).
    Madigan has been cleared. She doesn't have to say anything due to client confidentiality. Her seat is safe anyway so there is no worries. She can always claim she gave advice based on what Bailey told her. Based on that info she believed there was liability.

One thing is clear from above - you do not believe Madigan whatsoever. "She can always claim...." :D You sound so dodgy yourself!
    The mckillans are no fans of FG but they know what side their bread is buttered on. Pressup stand to lose a lot from not just FG of they meddle in affairs like this.

Ah lovely, a few threats from the Insurance Fraud Party to warn people off meddling again...remind me, what exactly did the Dean do wrong?? :P

Beware the ides of March ;)

If you are so sure......why are you the 4th highest poster on this thread?

They still have not acted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Madigan has been cleared. She doesn't have to say anything due to client confidentiality. Her seat is safe anyway so there is no worries. She can always claim she gave advice based on what Bailey told her. Based on that info she believed there was liability.

If Josepha Madigan was there on the night, well then that's a game changer, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

pablo128 wrote: »
    If Josepha Madigan was there on the night, well then that's a game changer, isn't it?

Not necessarily. She may not have seen what happened.

Anyway. There's nothing to suggest Madigan was there on the night. Why would she have been?

If you are so sure......why are you the 4th highest poster on this thread?
    I'm going on what was "revealed" upthread although I've been of that opinion since well before they decided what to do with her, that it would be the end result. Not sure that post count on a thread is evidence of anything. 3 others are higher with, dare I say, even less to say about this topic than me!:D

Lads, you all really are getting worker up about nothing. Very poor analysis by people here. Who was it who said this is a bigger issue than brexit. Jesus. Get a grip.

Poor analysis? :pac:

This isn't the water gate scandal that you and a bunch of online cranks are about to blow wide open. It's a storm in a teacup that most people have already forgotten about.
    Don't think Leo and Co. are too worried about posters on boards.ie bumping an obsolete thread.
    It is dead Matthew. Its only if interest to cranks and professional hobby horse riders.

This isn't a sort of Maurice McCabe moment. There's not some grand conspiracy that's going to be poured over in a tribunal.

Moving on.....

"Told by whom" Paddy?

No offence mate, but going by your history on this thread "magic 8 ball" isn't a reputable source I'm afraid.

Course she has, that's why Leo and the blueshirt brigade decided to keep the report hidden. Get a grip.

The mckillans are no fans of FG but they know what side their bread is buttered on. Pressup stand to lose a lot from not just FG of they meddle in affairs like this. They will keep their head down (as they have through the whole affair). There will be no CCTV.
    That sounds like a thinly veiled threat tbh, surely the law and order party wouldn't play "offside" with a small business who did little else than defend themselves in court after an extortion attempt? Surely not Pa:confused:

As for the CCTV, don't bet on it sunshine.

I didn't know who she was until May. :D

• Advertisement

https://extra.ie/2019/08/18/news/politics/leo-varadkar-maria-bailey-controversy
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar was inundated with nearly 170 emails and letters over the Maria Bailey swing case controversy — many from self-identified Fine Gael supporters.

Some anger out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement