Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I agree with the general sentiment (noting that plastic bags haven't gone away, they're just taxed now), but I hate phraseology like that - "look at us, aren't we soooo good everyone! Yay for Ireland taking a stand on trendy issues!" :rolleyes:

It's been used numerous times though by the FG government(s) to distract from their inaction on far more damaging concerns like insurance costs and claims, healthcare and waiting lists, housing and rent costs, Garda effectiveness and corruption and so on and so forth... there have been MANY examples over the last 8 years (which is why I also don't buy the attempt to rewrite history as FG as the poor punished saviours put forward by Portsalon above).

I couldn't give a donkey turd whether or not you agree with my analysis - the thing that actually matters is that thanks to FG having made a series of massive cock-ups over the past decade, FF have been rehabilitated and are likely to be in power after the next election.

And if that doesn't scare the crap out of you then you're a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Portsalon wrote: »
    I couldn't give a donkey turd whether or not you agree with my analysis - the thing that actually matters is that thanks to FG having made a series of massive cock-ups over the past decade, FF have been rehabilitated and are likely to be in power after the next election.

Like it or not, FF have been in power for most of the history of this State and that is because they are the best of a bad lot in the final analysis.

As I said on the previous page, anytime FG have been in power (and only got there in the first place due to a protest vote), they prove to be even worse than FF, thus rehabilitating them for the next round.

It's happened before, it'll happen again.

Your alternative is the likes of SF (who when the Republican fantasy glasses are off everyone knows would be a disaster for our country and economy) , LAB (betrayed their core voters for their turn at the trough), the tax-everything "Greens", the "Independents" (FF/FG cast-offs or one issue locals), or the alphabet-soup protesters.

FF it is then! You may not like it, but that's why they keep coming back!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But surely if the electorate regard FF as the only feasible alternative to lead a government, they were bound to be back sooner or later? If FG were to return after the next election as the largest party and form another minority government with the support of FF, and they are neck and neck with most bookies to be the biggest party, I don't see how they could realistically be expected to be performing better than that in electoral terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Not as easy as it sounds, unfortunately.

Having screwed the economy, emptied the national coffers and committed us to massive amounts of Sovereign debt, FF quit the stage and left it to the incoming government to pick up the pieces and implement the savage cuts required by the Troika.

Then, with Cowen exiled to Offaly, Ahern sulking in Drumcondra, Brian Lenihan dead and the Greens decimated, FF under a squeaky clean new-ish leader, could sit back on the opposition benches and watch with scarcely concealed glee as FG and Labour tried to sort out the mess that they had inherited from FF/Greens.

By the time the next election came around the voters were so pissed off with Enda and - rather unfairly - Labour; especially over things like Property Tax and the water charges fiasco - that FF was given a bit of a free pass. We ended up with a hung Dail and FF were then able to reclaim some moral authority by agreeing to support a minority FG administration.

And, the longer that the minority FG administration remains in power, making a b0llocks of many things, and damaged from within by the greed of vermin like Bailey and Farrell the easier it will become for FF to regain power.

I can never agree with liebour being unfairly criticized. Otherwise, good post. Something else I cannot get my head around is the increase in support for the tax king greens. They were in bed with FF and were as big culprits as FF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I can never agree with liebour being unfairly criticized. Otherwise, good post. Something else I cannot get my head around is the increase in support for the tax king greens. They were in bed with FF and were as big culprits as FF.

To be fair Labour were very very stupid on the run up to GE 2016. Fine Gael with the help of that utter tool Phil Hogan set up the Irish Water superquango in a haze of corruption, cronyism, bureaucracy, waste, arrogance and ultimately privatisation. I voted FG for many years but Irish Water really sickened me. When the Insurance Fraud party knew Irish Water was going south fast, they handed the reins to a hungry Alan Kelly and himself and his Labour colleagues were forced to defend the 'god awful mess' until the general election. It ruined Labour.

• Advertisement

To be fair Labour were very very stupid on the run up to GE 2016. Fine Gael with the help of that utter tool Phil Hogan set up the Irish Water superquango in a haze of corruption, cronyism, bureaucracy, waste, arrogance and ultimately privatisation. I voted FG for many years but Irish Water really sickened me. When the Insurance Fraud party knew Irish Water was going south fast, they handed the reins to a hungry Alan Kelly and himself and his Labour colleagues were forced to defend the 'god awful mess' until the general election. It ruined Labour.

I voted Labour all my life ( am in my sixties now ) but after what that turncoat Gilmore did after jumping into bed with FG, I will never again vote liebour.

Two faced ba**ards!!!

I voted Labour all my life ( am in my sixties now ) but after what that turncoat Gilmore did after jumping into bed with FG, I will never again vote liebour.

Two faced ba**ards!!!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gilmore-wife-got-525000-for-school-site-now-worth-just-100000-26695748.html
    THE wife of Labour leader Eamon Gilmore was paid €525,000 by the Department of Education for a site for a new school that is now worth less than €100,000.
    Educationalist Carol Hanney, who is chief executive of Dun Laoghaire VEC, sold the two-and-a-half acre site she inherited from her late mother to the Office of Public Works on behalf of the Department of Education.
    Yesterday the site of the proposed new school in Killimor, Co Galway, was untouched and in the same state as it was when sold almost five years ago.
    Mr Gilmore refused to comment directly on the sale last night. A spokesman for the Labour leader would only say the money belonged to his wife, and not to Mr Gilmore. "She is a private citizen and it is her money, not his," he said.

They are all pigs at the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

. Something else I cannot get my head around is the increase in support for the tax king greens. They were in bed with FF and were as big culprits as FF.

True that

Greens only policies are to tax people

Loved this proposal recently in Cork

Green Party's plan to increase property tax to pay for cycle lanes comes under fire

A 15% INCREASE in Cork property tax proposed by the Green Party to be spent on cycle lanes and footpaths has been described as “insulting rhetoric”.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Green-Partys-plan-to-increase-property-tax-to-pay-for-cycle-lanes-comes-under-fire-cdf096c2-2805-473e-90a2-900d774c590f-ds

My car insurance renewal letter came in today. No claims for 20 years but my insurance is going up 65 Euro.

Thank you Mairead McGuinness
    Thank you Alan Farrell
    Thank you Maria Bailey
    Thank you Josepha Madigan

Thank you Fine Gael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Two faced ba**ards!!!

I was a Labour supporter too, but after getting in with Kenny's mob and supporting all the nefarious FG shenanigans...not in this life time any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,883 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Greens and Labour solution for everything is to throw taxpayers money at it.

Would never vote for either. It would cost me a lot more hard earned money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

The Greens and Labour solution for everything is to throw taxpayers money at it.

Would never vote for either. It would cost me a lot more hard earned money.

Are Social Democrats the way to go then?

I like most of their policies but they've no one up here in Donegal so I tend to vote Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My car insurance renewal letter came in today. No claims for 20 years but my insurance is going up 65 Euro.

Thank you Alan Farrell
    Thank you Maria Bailey

Thank you Fine Gael.

Don't forget to also thank:

The insurance companies
    The legal profession
    The Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB)
    The very generous court system
    The multitude of scumbags who either exaggerate or feign injury

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

BattleCorp wrote: »

The insurance companies
    The legal profession
    I guess he'd vote against those too, if it were an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don't think he did forget :D
    Thank you Alan Farrell
    Thank you Maria Bailey

The insurance companies
    The legal profession

Which of those puts themselves forward as public representatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Which of those puts themselves forward as public representatives?

All equally as guilty of pushing up the price of insurance.

All equally as guilty of pushing up the price of insurance.

Fair enough, but Larry 'claim' Brannigan up the road isn't obliged to give two f***s about the tax payer or insurance customer and never took a job pretending to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thank you Alan Farrell
    Thank you Maria Bailey

Thank you Fine Gael.
    Eh, you might want to look for other quotes! Mine went down by more than that. Who do I get to thank?
    Why is Mairead McGuiness on this list now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Current edition of Phoenix reporting that there is chaos amongst members of FG in the Dun Laoighire constituency. The Bailey family machine has been fighting back and it says that she does not intend to go quietly. A Fine Gael fundraising breakfast was due to take place in Dun Laoighire this week but it got cancelled because FG party members said they wouldnt be showing up and splashing the cash so long as Bailey is still on the ticket. Also they couldn't find any Fine Gael minister to attend the fund raiser because they're running scared of being seen to be endorsing Bailey.

It appears FG members in the constituency are now split into pro and anti Bailey camps. The antis are saying if she is allowed to run there is no way they are knocking on doors for her during an election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Current edition of Phoenix reporting that there is chaos amongst members of FG in the Dun Laoighire constituency. The Bailey family machine has been fighting back and it says that she does not intend to go quietly. A Fine Gael fundraising breakfast was due to take place in Dun Laoighire this week but it got cancelled because FG party members said they wouldnt be showing up and splashing the cash so long as Bailey is still on the ticket. Also they couldn't find any Fine Gael minister to attend the fund raiser because they're running scared of being seen to be endorsing Bailey.

It appears FG members in the constituency are now split into pro and anti Bailey camps. The antis are saying if she is allowed to run there is no way they are knocking on doors for her during an election.
    In that scenario you'd expect HQ will make the call. Given that they are going to be down three TDs now, including one in DL they'll probably look for a way to encourage her to go quietly - for the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

is_that_so wrote: »
    In that scenario you'd expect HQ will make the call. Given that they are going to be down three TDs now, including one in DL they'll probably look for a way to encourage her to go quietly - for the party.

Hmmm maybe a pay off equivalent to what she was trying to get out the hotel where she fell of the swing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Floppybits wrote: »
    Hmmm maybe a pay off equivalent to what she was trying to get out the hotel where she fell of the swing?

Nothing so vulgar! Ireland is not some corrupt backwater. A cushy sinecure in the Quango/NGO sector that politicians shovel taxpayers money into to buy influence would be more like it. No kids charities obvs, too much of a risk to have her doing a photo op near any place with swings.

I like most of their policies but they've no one up here in Donegal so I tend to vote Green.

Present themselves as ex Labour with added principles and then run an asylum fraudster candidate. No thanks.
    When they had Stephen Donnelly in it looked like a broad based party of reform that combined elements friendly to both enterprise and social justice but now it just looks like the party of social care workers and quangocrats. Its sad because I had high hopes for them and some of their candidates seem to be of high principle and potential but if chancers are allowed in on the ground floor there's no long term prospects of decent politics.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    True that

Greens only policies are to tax people

Loved this proposal recently in Cork

Green Party's plan to increase property tax to pay for cycle lanes comes under fire

A 15% INCREASE in Cork property tax proposed by the Green Party to be spent on cycle lanes and footpaths has been described as “insulting rhetoric”.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Green-Partys-plan-to-increase-property-tax-to-pay-for-cycle-lanes-comes-under-fire-cdf096c2-2805-473e-90a2-900d774c590f-ds

Thanks for the link KC. Awful pity there is no facility for comments on this ridiculous proposal.

Surely they are opening themselves to discrimination by the increases being not the same for everyone? Also, what exactly are ‘local area committees’? Another quangos in the making?

We had no SD reps of any description until the last locals. Thankfully the one SD candidate got elected. Just hope they get their fingers out and promote more candidates. Then perhaps we can. Get rid of Houdini Hayden.

Or we'll more likely have Senator Bailey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

The Soc Dems have blown it for me by promoting that complete spoofer Kisyombe in the Dublin locals. If they want to act the b0llocks with voters by running dodgy "asylum seekers" then they can whistle for my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Muahahaha wrote: »

funny how politicians tell you it's so difficult been a TD yet they are all so desperate to hang on to their jobs when they get in.

Why is Mairead McGuiness on this list now?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/compo-claim-fine-gael-mep-16538293
    Compo claim MEP Mairead McGuinness said she has forgotten the details of an insurance settlement, despite claiming at the time that she sustained severe and debilitating injuries.
    The newly re-elected Fine Gael MEP was critical of Maria Bailey’s controversial swing compo claim, but now the Irish Mirror can reveal she had a claim of her own after a car smash.
    She insisted on Tuesday that she “cannot remember the details of it” and refused to say how much she was awarded when she took the case to court.
    She took the case against a car-hire firm after the car she was travelling in, driven by her husband, was in a collision with a rental car driven by an American tourist.
    She claimed she suffered severe injury to her neck and back.
    In the civil bill, issued on 14 May 2004, the MEP said her injuries were severe and debilitating and “interfered with her enjoyment of life and all routine and other activities”.
    This was less than a month before she won a seat at the European Elections that June.
    At the same time as she initiated the compensation claim, she was actively knocking doors on the campaign trail, fighting it out for a seat representing the North Midlands.

Like Alan Farrell she saw the hire car company as an easy target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,883 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Or we'll more likely have Senator Bailey

That would be a bit brazen even for Leo.
    The public wouldn’t like that at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement