Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The problem is she is refusing to go quietly. Lets not forget her huge sense of entitlement, as far as Maria is concerned thats 'her' seat. She doesnt have the emotional intelligence to realise that she talked herself out of retaining the seat when she did that disastrous radio interview.

The local FG party members will try to remove her from the ticket but thats not a fait accompli either as she has many supporters within that group. Personally I want to see her on the ticket, if only for the sh1ts and giggles of the election campaign :D
    Nah, they'll take her off the ticket one way or the other, otherwise that's another seat down, which potentially means 3 seat losses out of the gate. They'll be hard pushed to get 2 out of DL as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I don't think they can take her off the ticket. He father was Fine Gael. Madigan's father was Fianna Fail. Madigan's brother is the solicitor here. If anyone should be deselected it should be Madigan. Her father was a scumbag by the way a slumlord.

I don't think they can take her off the ticket. He father was Fine Gael. Madigan's father was Fianna Fail. Madigan's brother is the solicitor here. If anyone should be deselected it should be Madigan. Her father was a scumbag by the way a slumlord.
    Yeah they can, but usually it's a HQ call, which annoys the locals a lot. Didn't realise sins of the father was a factor in voting. There's a FQ quote in Rathdown anyway so she should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah they can, but usually it's a HQ call, which annoys the locals a lot. Didn't realise sins of the father was a factor in voting. There's a FQ quote in Rathdown anyway so she should be OK.

it's certainly a factor in my voting. though I wouldn't vote for either Madigan or Bailey.

it's certainly a factor in my voting. though I wouldn't vote for either Madigan or Bailey.
    Fair enough but you couldn't vote for both, they are in different constituencies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Sounds like an open and honest interview by the Dean's owner.
    “We do need to contest things that were just simply not our fault.”
    The businessman said that Ms Bailey had covered the group’s costs for the case after she withdrew it, but did not disclose how much this was. He said he did not know what Ms Bailey was looking for in taking the case, but that he assumed it was money.

I do hope the Dean hotel gets more business from the media focus on the fraudulent claim.

Has anyone here ever been to those swings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

This is worth a listen. Must say it was a bit surreal listening to an interview with a multi millionaire businessman discussing a swing at length.

He said he has seen the report that Leo commissioned by the barrister and more or less called it a nothing burger, he said it doesnt make any conclusions.

That's interesting but it's exactly as we thought. The report was a fudge. A delaying tactic. It backfired spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Suckit wrote: »
    Is a cock flavoured Lollipop a good thing or a bad thing?

We could ask the leaders of each party, and see what they say. Or does anyone else know?

Ironic username. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ironic username. :pac:

Only missing the 'andsee'...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭jmreire

The connection is that they can increase with the same company. Only had three real increases (more than 10% increase) over 20 years through changing so some posters are clearly doing something wrong. Some people change everything every year.

Well, in my case...have full driving licence 35+ NCB ( if that was possible ) on the family car. Then in 2015, I bought a 2nd car for "running" around in, the insurance was €320.00. Fine ( insurance on the 1st car at that time was €600 fully comp as the car was new, full bonus protection, full step back etc. all the insurance whistles and bell's ) Roll on 2016, and the insurance quote came in... €1175.00 so I contacted the broker to ask about what was obviously a mistake.... but no mistake...the increase was due to the fact on the 2nd car, I had only 1 year NCB...the 1st year I insured it, they gave me credit for the NCB on the 1st car...but this year, that did not apply. Hence the quote of €1175.00 . By shopping around, I eventually got it down to €850.00 and it's only this year that I got it for €600. So am I impressed with the bailey's and farrell's of this world? Especially when I hear about profits in 2017 €225 million.???

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    Well, in my case...have full driving licence 35+ NCB ( if that was possible ) on the family car. Then in 2015, I bought a 2nd car for "running" around in, the insurance was €320.00. Fine ( insurance on the 1st car at that time was €600 fully comp as the car was new, full bonus protection, full step back etc. all the insurance whistles and bell's ) Roll on 2016, and the insurance quote came in... €1175.00 so I contacted the broker to ask about what was obviously a mistake.... but no mistake...the increase was due to the fact on the 2nd car, I had only 1 year NCB...the 1st year I insured it, they gave me credit for the NCB on the 1st car...but this year, that did not apply. Hence the quote of €1175.00 . By shopping around, I eventually got it down to €850.00 and it's only this year that I got it for €600. So am I impressed with the bailey's and farrell's of this world? Especially when I hear about profits in 2017 €225 million.???
    I don't think there is anyone who is impressed, but these examples have nothing to do with them and are down to company rules. I can tolerate or ignore these kinds of profits as long as they do not adversely affect my policies. I switched from one company because their parent had a huge underwriting hit but expected me to pay for it. Switching, to my mind, is the only way to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭jmreire

I don't think there is anyone who is impressed, but these examples have nothing to do with them and are down to company rules. I can tolerate or ignore these kinds of profits as long as they do not adversely affect my policies. I switched from one company because their parent had a huge underwriting hit but expected me to pay for it. Switching, to my mind, is the only way to deal with it.

Thats how I got mine down too by switching... but when it came up for renewal, it had increased again... so I switched again. logic seems to low (????) quote to catch you, then increase the next year. I link profits directly to the increase in premium cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Portsalon wrote: »
    Not as easy as it sounds, unfortunately.

Having screwed the economy, emptied the national coffers and committed us to massive amounts of Sovereign debt, FF quit the stage and left it to the incoming government to pick up the pieces and implement the savage cuts required by the Troika.

Then, with Cowen exiled to Offaly, Ahern sulking in Drumcondra, Brian Lenihan dead and the Greens decimated, FF under a squeaky clean new-ish leader, could sit back on the opposition benches and watch with scarcely concealed glee as FG and Labour tried to sort out the mess that they had inherited from FF/Greens.

By the time the next election came around the voters were so pissed off with Enda and - rather unfairly - Labour; especially over things like Property Tax and the water charges fiasco - that FF was given a bit of a free pass. We ended up with a hung Dail and FF were then able to reclaim some moral authority by agreeing to support a minority FG administration.

And, the longer that the minority FG administration remains in power, making a b0llocks of many things, and damaged from within by the greed of vermin like Bailey and Farrell the easier it will become for FF to regain power.

Ok I agree FF made a disaster and left us in debt but FG had plenty of options when they came into power

Number 1, children hospital....the decision to stick it in the middle of Dublin while the whole country including doctors/nurses etc saying it was a bad idea cries of brown envelope.

The for it to come out and be hugely over budget was no shock....that was all FG....nothing to do with FF

Second the BB....you run a program for BB and then halfway through the process hand over a huge sector of the customer base to Eir outside the process and then have all the bidder drop out....brown envelope again

Then when you finally release the plan , Eir come out and double cross you and say they could have done it for half the price....that just shows they can’t even control the crooked deals they are doing

I don’t want FF back in power but what’s the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭golfball37

Can we at least lose the charade that FF are currently in opposition please ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Nice money making scheme for all involved in this case.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-criticises-lawyers-and-doctors-as-fraudulent-claim-case-is-dismissed-by-court-38519159.html

FG will never ever take on their lawyer friends.

They are just not the party to address this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nah, they'll take her off the ticket one way or the other, otherwise that's another seat down, which potentially means 3 seat losses out of the gate. They'll be hard pushed to get 2 out of DL as it stands.

They'll definitely try to take her off the ticket locally but if that doesnt work then HQ have to make a call. Leo has no backbone for this type of politics, he hates wielding the axe because he just wants to be mates with everybody. I'm guessing he will get Paschal to do the dirty deed.

In any case the Examiner reported today that after Jim Daly announced that he is not running in the next election the total of currently sitting Fine Gael TDs who are not running has now risen to 8. Last election FG had only 6 more seats than FF and now eight of their sitting TDs are not running. It is already looking highly likely that FF will return with more seats than FG. Paddy Power currently offering 4/5 for FF to return with the most seats and 8/1 on the next govt being a FF minority, seems like free money right now.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/jim-daly-the-eighth-sitting-fine-gael-td-to-say-he-will-quit-at-the-next-general-election-952074.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They'll definitely try to take her off the ticket locally but if that doesnt work then HQ have to make a call. Leo has no backbone for this type of politics, he hates wielding the axe because he just wants to be mates with everybody. I'm guessing he will get Paschal to do the dirty deed.

Part of me thought for a brief moment that it's no accident that he won the leadership at a time when nobody else wants it. That he was too weak to say no and overwhelmed when everybody else stood back and thought he put himself forward.

I'm still not sure. He is arrogant. But very very weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Suckit wrote: »
    Part of me thought for a brief moment that it's no accident that he won the leadership at a time when nobody else wants it. That he was too weak to say no and overwhelmed when everybody else stood back and thought he put himself forward.

I'm still not sure. He is arrogant. But very very weak.

Leo took the top job because Leo's ultimate goal is self promotion.

From his cynical timing in "coming out" on national radio during the SSM referendum campaign, his twitter postings as Taoiseach under the "campaignforleo" handle (until someone belatedly realised that even Trump isn't that arrogant!), and the €5 mil Spin Unit... The man's only objective is to further his own profile.

He most definitely wanted to be Taoiseach. It's the ultimate ego trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

FF:

64 billion debt
    2 billion a year servicing the debt
    300,000 job losses
    Highest interest mortgage rates in the EU because banks need capital after crash.
    Sold off social housing stock years ago
    Construction sector destroyed
    Austerity
    Created HSE
    Set up cervical check
    Property tax
    Signed up to water charges with the IMF
    USC
    Household charge
    Public service pay handouts

FG:

Managed to be so incompetent that FF will get back in:)

Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

lola85 wrote: »
    FG:

Managed to be so incompetent that FF will get back in:)

Morons.

Nope.. Just fulfilling their historical role in Irish politics.

Prove to be even worse in Government so that they make FF electable again.

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nope.. Just fulfilling their historical role in Irish politics.

Prove to be even worse in Government so that they make FF electable again.

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

Yep.

As we head towards 10,000 posts in this single thread so much for this story dying, as the guy with the excrement fetish predicted here months ago.

This morning there's this:
    'I’ll never actually know what Maria Bailey wanted from this' - Press Up co-founder on TD's swing-fall claim

The famous swing:

IIsoph02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Nice money making scheme for all involved in this case.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-criticises-lawyers-and-doctors-as-fraudulent-claim-case-is-dismissed-by-court-38519159.html

FG will never ever take on their lawyer friends.

They are just not the party to address this issue.

Over 15 years after the setup of the PIAB the system is still broken

I don’t know the solution but Minister Flanagan doesn’t either or maybe the Law Society are excellent at lobbying
    The case, the judge said, illustrated how unmeritorious claims were appealed by plaintiffs with no money to force defendants into settling their action.

This was because an award of €7,000 can generate legal costs of €40,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If fg won’t support workers as they claim too. I’ll happily vote for the other disgrace that is ff, to remove varadkAr that disgrace as Taoiseach will be enough for me ...

Fg and ff never supported workers

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

In any case the Examiner reported today that after Jim Daly announced that he is not running in the next election the total of currently sitting Fine Gael TDs who are not running has now risen to 8. Last election FG had only 6 more seats than FF and now eight of their sitting TDs are not running. It is already looking highly likely that FF will return with more seats than FG. Paddy Power currently offering 4/5 for FF to return with the most seats and 8/1 on the next govt being a FF minority, seems like free money right now.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/jim-daly-the-eighth-sitting-fine-gael-td-to-say-he-will-quit-at-the-next-general-election-952074.html
    Some of them have been flagged for quite a while anyway. It's less about retirements and more about the core votes. For example in Waterford there's a lot of a personal vote and name recognition for Deasy and in Longford-Westmeath for Labour's retiring Penrose. In Labour's case that seat is gone but in Waterford there is enough of a quota to get a FG seat. The problem of course is getting a decent candidate and building up a profile in a very short time. In FG's case some of them will be retained, Labour will lose one anyway, SF may lose up to 4 seats, including the Peadar Toibin one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

As we head towards 10,000 posts in this single thread so much for this story dying, as the guy with the excrement fetish predicted here months ago.

This morning there's this:
    'I’ll never actually know what Maria Bailey wanted from this' - Press Up co-founder on TD's swing-fall claim

The famous swing:

IIsoph02.jpg

Jesus, dude, bit early to be exposing yourself to the Sindo isn’t it? You’ll give yourself a hernia or irritable bowel syndrome reading it before you’ve even had the cornflakes. Little veins popping out on the side of your head.

Did you listen to the interview by the way? Fascinating. About his grandmother, his mothers’s suicide, accusations that the Press Up group are responsible for making Dublin bland and identikit etc. The Maria Bailey component made up about 10% of it.

Whatever anybody might think, and I get the benefits of more competition, but it's never a good sign for us that our politicians are reduced to going abroad to attract, of all corporations, the parasites that are insurance companies. How much more can they offer them to come here, and who will pay for this corporate welfare? (For an alternative model of insurance that avoids society being held hostage by these wealthy private corporations, read 'What if the state took over car insurance?')

Imagine creating a society where we didn't have to promise to make the ultra rich richer so that we could have something as basic as affordable insurance? Ah, the predictable inevitability of this still unquestioned free market fundamentalism of our age.

Minister meets insurers in London to 'hopefully' entice them to 'rethink' position in Irish market

Whatever anybody might think, and I get the benefits of their being more competition, but it's never a good sign for us that our politicians are reduced to going abroad to attract, of all corporations, the parasites that are insurance companies. How much more can they offer them to come here, and who will pay for this corporate welfare? (For an alternative model of insurance that avoids society being held hostage by these wealthy private corporations, read 'What if the state took over car insurance?')

Imagine creating a society where we didn't have to promise to make the ultra rich richer so that we could have something as basic as affordable insurance? Ah, the predictable inevitability of this still unquestioned free market fundamentalism of our age.

Minister meets insurers in London to 'hopefully' entice them to 'rethink' position in Irish market
    I'm not sure you read all of the IT article you linked to. These "parasites" also pay loved ones and your mortgage if you happen to shuffle off your mortal coil early. They also allow you make repairs to your home in case of fire and weather events. The public liability end of things is a problem aggravated by scenario such as on this thread but not exclusively. As always it's a lot more complicated than just one aspect.

These "parasites" also pay loved ones and your mortgage if you happen to shuffle off your mortal coil early. They also allow you make repairs to your home in case of fire and weather events.

You say that as if these obscenely rich for-profit oligopolies in their rigged "free market" are charities, rather than glorified turf accountants exploiting fears and taking bets known as premiums from people.

• Advertisement

You say that as if these obscenely rich for-profit oligopolies in their rigged "free market" are charities, rather than glorified turf accountants exploiting fears and taking bets known as premiums from people.
    I say it as a pragmatist who doesn't see cliches as offering any solutions. You seem to see them as being all about premiums, not a business model that would last very long at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement