Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dean Hotel guy saying nobody fallen off since doesn't mention that there non-slip tape on the seats now https://twitter.com/lostexpectation/status/1132949892446466048

The person in the photo isn't even being supervised and she's holding on to the ropes. Imagine if Bailey had done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

boombang wrote: »
    Funny. Lots of intrigue on another thread about what Jim Daly was doing. Whatever people do in the metaphorical bedroom doesn't seem particularly important to me. I think making fraudulent claims is a much better reason to step down from an elected position.

Bang on there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Didn't he say nobody had fallen off before, or since?

I'm sure plenty fell off due to their own stupidity, but had the sense or lack of hard neck not to try a fraudulent claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I find the idea she'd one drink and then fell off a swing while holding a drink in each hand to be beyond belief and her brief is akin to Lionel Hutz IMO.

She thought she could turn the screw given her position of privilege and got found out.

She has done it before and was successful but messed with the wrong folk here. Play with fire Maria and you get burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    She has done it before and was successful but messed with the wrong folk here. Play with fire Maria and you get burned.

Jesus, whatever you do, don't let Maria near a fire.

They have warnings on matches to keep out of reach from children, whilst a child's swing has no such warnings, and she managed to balls herself up on that FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

CIE now asking commuters to stagger commute times, as the banana republic cant even provide a second world train service! Still, another several hundred million up in smoke on welfare again in budget 2020! You can be sure margaret Ca$h and her fellow legions of welfare wasters here wont be taking peak time public transport! Probably has the kids going to school on horse back!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058017343

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm sure plenty fell off due to their own stupidity, but had the sense or lack of hard neck not to try a fraudulent claim.

I doubt it, People learn at a very early age how not to fall off...and they don't easily forget. First instinct on sitting on a swing is to hold the ropes firmly, with BOTH hand's. :D:D:D but then of course when legal advice is taken.....:cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Idbatterim wrote: »
    CIE now asking commuters to stagger commute times, as the banana republic cant even provide a second world train service! Still, another several hundred million up in smoke on welfare again in budget 2020! You can be sure margaret Ca$h and her fellow legions of welfare wasters here wont be taking peak time public transport! Probably has the kids going to school on horse back!

The country would fall apart without welfare. Working people can't pay rent without help. Developers and vulture funds depend on welfare for profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,850 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Idbatterim wrote: »

The simple solution to that is to suspend the free travel pass during commuting times. After all, if you are working, you don't need the free travel pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They'll definitely try to take her off the ticket locally but if that doesnt work then HQ have to make a call. Leo has no backbone for this type of politics, he hates wielding the axe because he just wants to be mates with everybody. I'm guessing he will get Paschal to do the dirty deed.

In any case the Examiner reported today that after Jim Daly announced that he is not running in the next election the total of currently sitting Fine Gael TDs who are not running has now risen to 8. Last election FG had only 6 more seats than FF and now eight of their sitting TDs are not running. It is already looking highly likely that FF will return with more seats than FG. Paddy Power currently offering 4/5 for FF to return with the most seats and 8/1 on the next govt being a FF minority, seems like free money right now.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/jim-daly-the-eighth-sitting-fine-gael-td-to-say-he-will-quit-at-the-next-general-election-952074.html

Haven’t being following for a while now, but bailey will be a FG TD after the next election and Leo veruca will still be in power, due to people believing the blue shirt spin Doctor’s bull. Simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Haven’t being following for a while now, but bailey will be a FG TD after the next election and Leo veruca will still be in power, due to people believing the blue shirt spin Doctor’s bull. Simples

What odds are being quoted on Bailey's re-election?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There’s a more than reasonable chance she won’t even be on the FG ticket, even if she was it won’t take the loss of many votes for her to lose her seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I feel some sympathy for her. She is being blamed for the ills of the entire Insurance Industry but yet the Government has failed to deal with the issue-high premiums and high payouts. She is a useful scapegoat. Thats not to say she didnt make a mistake. She could have gone to a lower court at the very least.

She should be allowed Run for FG or she should decide to run as an Ind. Let the electorate decide

https://medium.com/@williamlynch1970/lets-tackle-trans-bull-130bb83b3d50

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I feel some sympathy for her. She is being blamed for the ills of the entire Insurance Industry but yet the Government has failed to deal with the issue-high premiums and high payouts. She is a useful scapegoat. Thats not to say she didnt make a mistake. She could have gone to a lower court at the very least.

She should be allowed Run for FG or she should decide to run as an Ind. Let the electorate decide

she is being blamed for her own greed and deceit. she has been help up as an example of the issues in the insurance industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

She is emblematic of two of the alleged causes of Irish premiums ;
    Inflated claims
    Fraudulent claims

Of course she didn't create the whole Irish legal system and insurance industry but she lied about the nature of her accident and the exent of her injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

She has put herself in every single position that you refer to.
    She was elected by the people, and was possibly deemed as a good TD by her electorate, but she chose to continue this bogus claim for no real reason other than greed. Anything that may happen to her is of her own doing.

How anyone could have sympathy for her is beyond me.

Even if she is dropped from the ticket, and decides not to run as an independent, FG will give her some high paying job somewhere, maybe whoever gets her seat will make her their parliamentary assistant, like she did her father and Marie Baker (presumably for helping them block out the other FG candidate running for council in the area).

Nothing to feel sorry for. This time at least, she won't land on her arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

nuac wrote: »
    What odds are being quoted on Bailey's re-election?

I will give you 50/1 :)

PM me for my IBAN number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

She's being blamed for being a chancer who got caught out. That's 100% on her.
    She is an example of the hypocrisy in the condescending self important character of the Fine Gael party. In addition she is tagged to a government led by a leader who promised to root out welfare fraud but is cool with insurance fraud it seems. So add to that high insurance premiums and that's a reminder for everyone.
    She's a symbol and a valid one. She'd maybe be a scapegoat if she had to pay a price, but she hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

A lot of very detailed and thorough explanations above for the lack of sympathy for Maria Bailey.

My own lack of sympathy derives from her showing no genuine contrition for her greed and duplicity.

In her statement following the "demotion" handed to her by Leo Varadkar, she said “I acted on legal advice throughout the process, but ultimately decided to withdraw the proceedings in an attempt to end the extraordinary media and political pressure that arose from the publication of some details of the case." Her decision to withdraw her claim didn't arise from soul-searching, or self-analysis, over whether proceeding with the claim was the right thing to do; it was purely and simply because she was caught out, and she knew there wasn't a case to answer.

She repeatedly said in her SO'R interview that "[she] was hurt, Seán", but at no point detailed why that was the hotel's fault. Her sense of entitlement during that car-crash of an interview was galling.

She didn't "make a mistake" as Richard Bruton stated - she fell off a swing through her own stupidity, and then tried to extort money from the proprietors. Nothing's been learnt from the experience, and FG look monumentally stupid for keeping her in the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yes the government has failed to deal with the insurance industry, the very government she’s part of. She’s not a useful scapegoat she dug herself into a hole then when the hole started to cave in she took up the shovel and continued to dig downwards. This mess for her is entirely of her own making so I wouldn’t waste any sympathy on her and the ire of people toward FG is well founded as they thought this was going to blow over in a few days, a masterclass in mismanagement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

A lot of very detailed and thorough explanations above for the lack of sympathy for Maria Bailey.

My own lack of sympathy derives from her showing no genuine contrition for her greed and duplicity.

In her statement following the "demotion" handed to her by Leo Varadkar, she said “I acted on legal advice throughout the process, but ultimately decided to withdraw the proceedings in an attempt to end the extraordinary media and political pressure that arose from the publication of some details of the case." Her decision to withdraw her claim didn't arise from soul-searching, or self-analysis, over whether proceeding with the claim was the right thing to do; it was purely and simply because she was caught out, and she knew there wasn't a case to answer.

She repeatedly said in her SO'R interview that "[she] was hurt, Seán", but at no point detailed why that was the hotel's fault. Her sense of entitlement during that car-crash of an interview was galling.

She didn't "make a mistake" as Richard Bruton stated - she fell off a swing through her own stupidity, and then tried to extort money from the proprietors. Nothing's been learnt from the experience, and FG look monumentally stupid for keeping her in the party.

Perhaps however one would have to question the logic of a licensed premise installing a swing when it's highly foreseeable drunk people will use it

The liability argument..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

McCrack wrote: »
    Perhaps however one would have to question the logic of a licensed premise installing a swing when it's highly foreseeable drunk people will use it

The liability argument..
    Your argument could be expanded to even having a step , after all people who are intoxicated trip over steps?

Chiparus wrote: »
    Your argument could be expanded to even having a step , after all people who are intoxicated trip over steps?

Indeed, and liability can attach depending on the condition of the steps, lighting etc

Sympathy? Really? Sympathy for someone who tried to thieve money on false pretenses?

Sorry, but I have NO sympathy for a person who tries their utmost to abused their position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The liability argument..

Perhaps one could question the long term sustainability of holding all premises liable for the actions of consenting adults instead of the adults themselves.

I like to have the choice to play darts in a pub.
    I like to have the choice to play pool in a pub.
    I like to have the choice to walk up and down steps.
    I like to have the choice to drink from glass containers.

All of these actions carry risks, that we as adults can control by acting reasonably.
    This nonsense of extending liability onto the premises for any and all acts of stupidity by adults just transfers money from the rest of society to the legal profession and insurance companies while making routine activities prohibitive and infantilising all of us.

Indeed, and liability can attach depending on the condition of the steps, lighting etc

Why don’ we just close down any premises serving alcohol?

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Perhaps one could question the long term sustainability of holding all premises liable for the actions of consenting adults instead of the adults themselves.

I like to have the choice to play darts in a pub.
    I like to have the choice to play pool in a pub.
    I like to have the choice to walk up and down steps.
    I like to have the choice to drink from glass containers.

All of these actions carry risks, that we as adults can control by acting reasonably.
    This nonsense of extending liability onto the premises for any and all acts of stupidity by adults just transfers money from the rest of society to the legal profession and insurance companies while making routine activities prohibitive and infantilising all of us.

Unless there is some inherent defect you can do all those things and not suffer an injury and no liability will attach

If there is an inherent defeat eg chip in the glass causing you a laceration then liability will rightly attach to the venue that served you, or a defective steps or putting seating beside the dart board etc etc

Why don’ we just close down any premises serving alcohol?

Because that would be stupid

Because that would be stupid

I agree, but bringing up steps etc makes the whole possibility of a publican/hotel business fraught to incurring insurance claims by people like Baile6.

Where is the line drawn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Unless there is some inherent defect you can do all those things and not suffer an injury and no liability will attach

If there is an inherent defeat eg chip in the glass causing you a laceration then liability will rightly attach to the venue that served you, or a defective steps or putting seating beside the dart board etc etc

So what's the defect with the swing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement