Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Story in the Sunday times today is interesting.

Looks like she also sued Aer Lingus in 2004. She used to work for them back then.
    Case did not make it to court.

Heard a rumour that was settled out of court for 160,000 euro.

Even if she go half that sounds like someone who's high maintenance and burns through money. needs a lesson in financial management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

KaneToad wrote: »
    It does sound small minded.

The childrens hospital debacle is a valid reason to vote against FG. I don't think, however, FG have any role in interfering with legal cases taken by their members.

Very petty comment, with not so subtle undertones, about time spent in the gym. How long, exactly, do you think he spends in the gym relative to in his office?

Well last year he showed up an hour late for a Public announcement in relation to Brexit, where was he in that hour? the Gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If she had gone to the nearest public hospital accident and emergency room after her fall, she'd have been asked to pay the standard €100 fee for "free" public treatment.
    Then with the €600 gift the hotel offered her "in good faith" she could have turned a modest profit of €500. And her political career would still be intact.

Of course, that would have meant queuing in a hospital waiting room for hours with the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,559 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

golfball37 wrote: »
    After last night at least we’ll be spared her saying she should be entitled to All Ireland final tickets this year

Was that her????

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

beno619 wrote: »
    Does that mean you thought he had any credibility up until yesterday afternoon?

I find it both incredible and disappointing that so many people see stories like this as a shock to what they thought Leo was about!

Leo Vardakar is solely concerned with his personal profile. His twitter handle (as Taoiseach and with posts in that capacity) is "campaignforleo" ffs!
    As a minister under Enda, he always had a comment about someone else's department (which is why the media love him so much), but achieved feck all in his own.

He has no particular beliefs or stance on anything and is led by opinion polls (particularly concerning himself). His comments on this case again expose him for the weak, ineffective leader he is. He should be calling for an internal investigation within FG regarding her future in the party.

I suppose the one good thing from the local elections is that more people are starting to see him for what he is, and the results reflect that. It's not that there has been a sudden surge in environmentalism (only 8% of the vote) but rather that the Greens were the lucky beneficiary of voters not willing to instead back the lefties and SF (and who can really blame them in fairness)

But make no mistake, the signs have always been there for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

His comments on this case again expose him for the weak, ineffective leader he is. He should be calling for an internal investigation within FG regarding her future in the party

Leo apparently will be "having a word with her" during the week.

He's also saying that her claim was initiated before she became a TD, and that it was in a personal capacity, and didn't involve the FG party.

Meanwhile.
    Culture Minister Josepha Madigan had earlier refused to say if she played any role in advising Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey to take her swing compensation case to court, despite her family law firm representing the TD.

Ms Madigan declined to clarify if she "did or didn't" advise her Fine Gael colleague on the case, which Ms Madigan's family law firm lodged on their client's behalf in 2015 - two years before Ms Madigan left the firm.

EU_SNOUTS_IN_TROUGH.jpg?1408877727

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    At the rate Leo is going he will end up been one of the worst Taoiseach Ireland ever had

He has achieved nothing so far, his big plays, children hospital and broadband, are a disaster. FG have done nothing since they got into power

Even the green agenda he is supposed to have he chickened out of at last budget when he had the chance to make a statement. He has been absolutely useless.

They have failed to fix homeles crisis and businesses are going bust everyday because of insurance he promised to fix

he wears amusing star wars socks, and goes jogging and cycling though .. .that's what the electorate actually votes for

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Leo apparently will be "having a word with her" during the week.

He's also saying that her claim was initiated before she became a TD, and that it was in a personal capacity, and didn't involve the FG party.

Meanwhile.

That just highlights the other big issue with Irish politics... the incestuous nature of it - all related to, or connected to each other in some form or other

It's no wonder the taint spreads as far and deep as it does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Fine Gael , from now on will be training their TDs on the use of Swings .

I hope its not too much for them to take on !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That just highlights the other big issue with Irish politics... the incestuous nature of it - all related to, or connected to each other in some form or other

img?regionKey=Fjr4v9VJBH5zeqHwhdfJ7Q==&scale=224

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

All related, by choice of the voter. They don't have to elect related or dynastic representatives. The Irish voter clearly likes to do so though.
    Funny then when you have people complaining about how their politicians are related or dynastic.
    The Irish voter, wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

This is a wiki page. I can only imagine the non published stuff out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bailey_(Irish_politician)

She has withdrawn her claim. She was entitled to make it. She was entitled to withdraw it. The law is the same for everyone. If it has weaknesses, legislation should rectify it. The were some inadvertent errors in her submission - that happens at times, even with the best care and will in the world. Don't read too much into that.
    The press hounding and jump to conclusions was very stressful - and people should consider how they have contributed to someone having to reverse on their legal rights as a result.
    As Maria says, the matter is now closed. No further comment will be made.

The press went digging. The stuff that was coming out wasn't good for FG. If you believe that she hadn't already been hauled in, then I have some snake skin oil to sell ya.

I don't know how the electorate get hoodwinked into voting these type people in, in the first place, but having read some of the shenanigans that went on, its hardly surprising. Sometimes we get what we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

recedite wrote: »
    If she had gone to the nearest public hospital accident and emergency room after her fall, she'd have been asked to pay the standard €100 fee for "free" public treatment.
    Then with the €600 gift the hotel offered her "in good faith" she could have turned a modest profit of €500. And her political career would still be intact.

Of course, that would have meant queuing in a hospital waiting room for hours with the plebs.

Are you joking me?it would be Affidea or one of those other expensive private clinics for FGaels brightest and best. Public A&E is only for the poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

STB. wrote: »

I don't know how the electorate get hoodwinked into voting these type people in, in the first place, but having read some of the shenanigans that went on, its hardly surprising. Sometimes we get what we deserve.

Exactly. We get what we deserve because the electorate is these type of people. The govt is a reflection of the people. If they don't like what they see when they scrutinise the quality and actions of their elected, then they shouldn't like what they see when they look in the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bailey_(Irish_politician)

Wow, quite a list of low cunning. Maybe Maria was doomed to behave as she has! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Nobelium wrote: »
    he wears amusing star wars socks, and goes jogging and cycling though .. .that's what the electorate actually votes for

Its unreal the amount of people taken in by good PR. Young voters are the greatest hope for meaningful change but they are being taken in by modern propaganda from political parties.

Case in point - Maria Walsh who will likely get into Europe after a slick PR campaign whilst showing herself as clueless on most issues. I seen a lot of comments on Twitter from young people saying they seen her video and because of that they were giving her a Number 1. The jist of the video being "I was rose of tralee, I played underage for Mayo, Im great". Absolutley nothing on policy.

Pretty worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I can't remember who was interviewed about 12 months ago. More or less said that when the going is good the Irish people don't really give a s**t who leads the country. Once they give us a few quid every budget and tell us it is all going well we will just keep voting them in.

Once the poo hits the fan then we actually take some notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

There was a weird five minutes on Maria Bailey on Marian's Finucane's RTE radio programme. The guests were mostly saying Maria was hard done by. Bertie said Maria and her father are good people. Sure, Bertie probably thinks he's a good guy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Leo Vardakar is solely concerned with his personal profile. His twitter handle (as Taoiseach and with posts in that capacity) is "campaignforleo" ffs!
    As a minister under Enda, he always had a comment about someone else's department (which is why the media love him so much), but achieved feck all in his own.
    He has no particular beliefs or stance on anything and is led by opinion polls (particularly concerning himself). His comments on this case again expose him for the weak, ineffective leader he is. He should be calling for an internal investigation within FG regarding her future in the party.

I had forgotten about that to be honest, he used to be always throwing in digs at other departments, and he was probably the most high profile Minister for Sport Transport and Tourism in the history of the state, despite only having an interest in Cricket.
    He used to always be on the radio it seemed. Giving soundbites each time.

But as Taoiseach he seems a bit quieter now.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/taoiseach-speak-maria-bailey-next-week-compensation-claim-863526

"'I think in the first instanceit is a private matter for her.

"It's an incident that occurred before she was even elected to the Dáil, and isn't something that the party has been involved in."

He is trying to put as much distant as he can between himself/the party and Maria now it seems.
    When he plans to speak to Ms Bailey what will he do? Will it be through a loud speaker on Dún Laoghaire pier, while Maria Bailey out on a boat in the harbour? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

boombang wrote: »
    There was a weird five minutes on Maria Bailey on Marian's Finucane's RTE radio programme. The guests were mostly saying Maria was hard done by. Bertie said Maria and her father are good people. Sure, Bertie probably thinks he's a good guy himself.
    RTE?
    The whole organisation is full of Maria Baileys.
    Not an ounce of integrity among the lot of them.

Wow, quite a list of low cunning. Maybe Maria was doomed to behave as she has! :pac:

Well unfortunately for "Maria" her court papers that were lodged in support of her claim describe her as a "keen runner prior to the accident but could not run at all for three months post-accident and has had to reduce her activities significantly since".

Obviously that was at odds with her Social Media postings showing she was at the Longitude festival a week after the incident and ran in a 10k race three weeks after the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

She should consider changing from politics to religion.
    Was able to run 10k while in suffering with all sorts of pain. No longer requires the massive hospital bills that she was suing for, It is nothing short of a miracle.
    People pay good money to touch or be near miracles of that caliber. She could make way more than the €60k she was looking for.

It may have already been discussed in this thread, but did anyone see the response from the FG TD to someone who questioned his insurance claim! A link to the Defamation Act!

https://twitter.com/MariaBaileyFG/status/1130361851827634178

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

STB wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B...sh_politician)

Hang on she is a daughter to that Bailey?
    The fella who shafted Tommy Carr on a casting vote after saying he would support him.

I never knew about all the other 'non-sport' stuff he did.
    But that explains a lot she had a great mentor.

"In April 2012, The Irish Times reported that he was the highest earning councillor on Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown council in 2011, earning more than €47,000"

:eek:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It may have already been discussed in this thread, but did anyone see the response from the FG TD to someone who questioned his insurance claim! A link to the Defamation Act!

bYkjOcn.png?1

Unbelievable.

I honestly, genuinely believe that he doesn't give a sh*t. He has his two terms, quite a handsome pension. He would not give a moments thought if he received less votes than Paddy Feeney in the next election.

Rumours in my sisters neck of the woods, that he tried to join the Greens before Fine Gael, but was too tight to pay the annual fee, sound very believeable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Happy4all wrote: »
    Maybe time for Leo to spend less time in the gym preening himself and actually show some leadership.

Leo hasn't got a leadership bone in his body. Kaiser hits the nail on the head
    He has no particular beliefs or stance on anything and is led by opinion polls (particularly concerning himself).

Nowhere was this more evident than during the gay marriage referendum. The people behind that campaign worked on it for almost 10 years, it was a marathon of a campaign, not a sprint. But in the final mile of that marathon and with the opinion polls showing a clear 70% Yes vote up pops Varadkar with his teary eyed interview with Miriam to tell the nation that he was gay. What the public didn't know was Leo being gay was an open secret around Leinster House and within media circles. In fact he was even in a relationship with gay political correspondent only a year previous.

Leo had been in politics for more than a decade before that referendum yet he never stood up for gay rights in his career. Being a politician and gay wasn't exactly new, David Norris had blazed that trail in the 1990s and Jerry Buttimer, John Lyons and Dominic Hannigan were all openly gay parliamentarians. They showed leadership and campaigned for gay rights all the while Varadkar hid in the shadows. This was because (as again to quote Kaiser) He has no particular beliefs or stance on anything and is led by opinion polls (particularly concerning himself)

Once Leo saw numberous opinion polls showing 70-80% support for gay marriage then he decided to come out, only after other people had done all the heavy lifting. That was not leadership, it was Leo sticking his finger in the wind and deciding which way was it was blowing.

Hang on she is a daughter to that Bailey?
    :eek:

Yep. She appointed him as her parliamentary assistant when she got elected as a TD 3 years ago.

Voted in again by the locals again, yesterday. Presume he didn't do a mock up of a local rag and circulate it to the locals, promoting himself this time around.

https://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/dun_laoghaire_66808172a4e3f3

Suckit wrote: »
    I honestly, genuinely believe that he doesn't give a sh*t. He has his two terms, quite a handsome pension. He would not give a moments thought if he received less votes than Paddy Feeney in the next election.

Rumours in my sisters neck of the woods, that he tried to join the Greens before Fine Gael, but was too tight to pay the annual fee, sound very believeable to me.
    That's not totally incredible. Brian Hayes was a member of Democratic Left once upon a time.

I started to question everything when I read that (on this forum)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

boombang wrote: »
    Goodfellas like the New York Mafia .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement