Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Maria Bailey needs to do the following

1. Take down her Facebook page immediately.
    2. Resign as a TD immediately.
    3. Apologize to the Irish people for gross errors of judgment.
    4. Apologize to the Hotel for a spurious claim. Pay them compensation for the hassle she has caused them.
    5. Forfeit any post Dail income/pension she is legally entitled to if any.
    6. Stay away from media interviews be they written or verbal
    7. Keep a low profile from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'd imagine the FG chiefs are fuming. While the local elections weren't the most successful for the party nor were they a disaster, there was probably a massive opportunity to put the political boot into Sinn Fein given the collapse of their vote. Leo's new found enthusiasm for climate change has been overshadowed. So now, there's no positive outcome for them.

I'd say Mary Lou is delighted with herself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

holyhead wrote: »

4. Apologize to the Hotel for a spurious claim. Pay them compensation for the hassle she has caused them.

More chance of hell freezing over.she feels wronged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Leo is a chicken poo who can’t make a decision either way. What’s the bets he make her resign so no comeback on him....just in case the working mothers come after him

Which if he had any backbone he would know they won’t because she is an embarrassment to all women, not just working mothers

I'd say the FG shysters are up to their necks in allsorts and have dirt on each other. Will be very telling if they don't get rid. She may resign from the party to save face and try a come back in a few years.

I was very enthusiastic about them in 2011 but they have really shown themselves to be disengaged from the real world and the people they supposedly represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Dont hold your breath on any of those things happening......... This is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

All she had to say was 'I got bad advice that I followed and I'm deeply sorry for taking this course of action'.

this is exactly it....she needs to not only consider her own position but also, those of her PR team and her solicitor and anybody around her advising them.

says alot about her legal team that they advised her to make a claim when she clearly fell off it because of her own actions, added to the fact that her injuries were not substantial enough to make a claim.

bizzare, bizzare situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

She is done, but the longer she stays the more damage she does to the party.
    So, if/when they get hit in the next election they'll have no one to blame but themselves.
    They need to get rid asap.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Dont hold your breath on any of those things happening......... This is Ireland.

If Varadkar had any political nous he would use this as an opportunity to comprehensively institute root and branch reform of legal system to tackle the rampant compensation culture which is crippling businesses in this country.

If she is not turfed out of FG and hasn't resigned as a TD by the weekend then Varadkar needs to look at his own position. She has humiliated the party to the point where it may fatally damage them at the next G.E. if she doesn't get hunted double quick.

If Varadkar had any political nous he would use this as an opportunity to comprehensively institute root and branch reform of legal system to tackle the rampant compensation culture which is crippling businesses in this country.

If she is not turfed out of FG and hasn't resigned as a TD by the weekend then Varadkar needs to look at his own position. She has humiliated the party to the point where it may fatally damage them at the next G.E. if she doesn't get hunted double quick.

Agree. It reflects badly on his leadership if he doesn't get rid asap.
    The longer she stays, the worse the party will suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Her Lordship has her say:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-fall-gal-maria-bailey-sees-dark-forces-at-play-1.3906328

(nice picture of Maria too!)

".................... Watching Maria and PR man Paul Allen on the news leaving RTÉ, the words of Fr Ted after the disastrous visit of three bishops to Craggy Island came to mind: “Went pretty well, I thought.”"

From the article

"We remembered Enda Kenny’s famous story about meeting “the man with two pints” in his hands and wondered what fate would have befallen the gentleman had he been sitting on a swing at the time. Would Enda have caught his fall?"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Come on here Leo will do nothing and hope this goes away quickly, and will be voted in again and probably top the poll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Agree. It reflects badly on his leadership if he doesn't get rid asap.
    The longer she stays, the worse the party will suffer.

Well they have quotas for women so that mightn't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Just listened back. My poor ears. Not defending her
    But she doesn’t sound entirely sober.

Contradicts herself several times and her story several times and the whole ‘Sean, Sean, Sean’ Bit.

Like that drunk wagon you meet in a smoking area who decides to share their drama with you over a smoke and you can’t escape them.

Wonder if she’ll dig up and say the interview took place after drink was taken and under severe stress

Would anyone be surprised?

I thought she had drink on her, did she mention getting plasters at the reception, did she suffer lacerations during her "fall".?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Fine Gael refused to let anyone on the Tonight Show because of Swing-gate. It's mad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We may see her forced to do number 6 and 7 for a few months but as for the rest, zero chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Going to be talking about this on the tonight show

Pissartist wrote: »
    Well they have quotas for women so that mightn't be easy.

Sack one of the useless men in the party too to balance it out. Shouldn't be too difficult to find one. The mirror would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Sack one of the useless men in the party too to balance it out. Shouldn't be too difficultthe to find one. The mirror would be a good start.

It’s beyond laughable. Varadkar is presiding over more scandals than Maria Bailey could ever dream up!!!

Yet he is the one doling our the law and order. Do the country a Favour and ditch fg the next election. The arrogance , smugness and failure is too much!

Her Facebook page is filled with bile against her. Brave people considering her willingness to resort to litigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭headtheball14

Can I just say sincere thanks to Maria Bailey and fine Gael today. I have been a bit down lately and I can not remember a day in the recent past when I laughed so much.
    It's been a tonic .
    I'm still enjoying the tweets the videos and the radio on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Come on here Leo will do nothing and hope this goes away quickly, and will be voted in again and probably top the poll.

She will never see another dail term . No chance . She Probaly won’t even run . She s knows her time is done deep down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Can I just say sincere thanks to Maria Bailey and fine Gael today. I have been a bit down lately and I can not remember a day in the recent past when I laughed so much.
    It's been a tonic .
    I'm still enjoying the tweets the videos and the radio on this.

Keep the good side out . There’s always somebody worse off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-fall-gal-maria-bailey-sees-dark-forces-at-play-1.3906328

".................... Watching Maria and PR man Paul Allen on the news leaving RTÉ, the words of Fr Ted after the disastrous visit of three bishops to Craggy Island came to mind: “Went pretty well, I thought.”"

That interview was an awful advertisement for Paul Allen's services.
    this is exactly it....she needs to not only consider her own position but also, those of her PR team and her solicitor and anybody around her advising them.

says alot about her legal team that they advised her to make a claim when she clearly fell off it because of her own actions, added to the fact that her injuries were not substantial enough to make a claim.

bizzare, bizzare situation.

The fact Madigan's family firm where representing her bothers me too. Means her family/firm/brother stood to benefit financially from this claim.

If she does not stand down, she needs to be stripped of her seat by the rest of Dáil Éireann. Make an example of her and show that insurance fraud is not tolerated. At least give us the impression they're not all con artists whilst there is a general election looming.

But sure we are only irked because.."I'm a strong female politician and some people don't like that".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If she had any honour, she would resign her position as Chair of the Oireachtas Housing Committee (Wow! Is that not a massively successful job being done by that lot!!), getting almost €10k immediately.

As to whether she should stand again as a TD, well that's up to selection procedures etc.

She totally ****ed up and needs to be seen to atone!

That said, someone also needs to look at whether her statements that went to/or were prepared for Court were made under oath, and if so, did any Perjury occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Like the way she used the fact that she's a woman to try to save her skin, hoping that any people attacking her would be seen as sexist.

But shes obviously so thick that she doesn't realise that this has nothing to do with gender. More the fact that she is trying to get €60k when €7k was needed, and by definition will drive insurance costs up, all while her party are claiming they don't like the claim culture.

Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This was really well written and gave me a laugh, the ending line is brilliant. Honest to god i don't know why she brought that PR guy because he didnt do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

She fell off a swing. She's a bit of bítch, she's a money grabbing wánkér, and it's a reflection on us as a society that she's gotten as far as she has

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

NIMAN wrote: »
    Like the way she used the fact that she's a woman to try to save her skin, hoping that any people attacking her would be seen as sexist.

But shes obviously so thick that she doesn't realise that this has nothing to do with gender. More the fact that she is trying to get €60k when €7k was needed, and by definition will drive insurance costs up, all while her party are claiming they don't like the claim culture.

Idiot.

Even the 7K was hardly needed! She told Sean O Rourke that she has Private Health Insurance.. So the rest of us have already paid her costs!

Such hypocracy, when folks with feck all are being outed (rightly so) for illegitimate slip/fall/whiplash claims daily,and HER GOVERNMENT said it would stamp out nefarious claims....

Well, Maria Nefarious Baily seriously need to check the mirror to establish who the phuk is living behind her face!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean how she thought going on national radio today and not giving her party the heads up so they'd at least be prepared to react to it if asked doesn't seem to have gone down well with FG.

Also, IF doing what she did today was a good idea, what possessed her to pick Sean O rourke who to me is the best presenter RTÉ have I'll never know. I mean she could have gone on the news at one or any other show and it might not have been any better but it might not have been as bad as it turned out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement