Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Personally I think she has suffered enough and its time to move on. As a people I think we are better than kicking someone when they are down. She should keep a low profile, see out the rest of her Dail term and then decide if public life is for her.
    Its not just the internet that scents blood, the newspapers are far worse and once they get hold of a story, countless reporters and commentators depend on it as a way of making a living.
    These stories tend to run for 3-4 days and then the papers move on to something else, if you keep a low profile that is. The more she talks about it, the more the media react to it.

I am normally one of the first to sympathise with somebody when things have gone too far, even if they brought it upon themselves, but in this case I have zero sympathy.
    From her corrupt father right up to her misdirected anger on the radio yesterday. The fact that she has previous in making personal injury claims, showed no remorse, blaming everyone else and would have continued the false claim had it not garnered such attention. She needs to resign.

Somebody like that should not remain in Government and should probably have never been elected.

She is probably lucky that the newspapers may have decided to stop where they have, who knows what they could uncover if they were to dig a little deeper. Unfortunately that is probably not going to happen unless they get the go ahead from an Taoiseach or somebody with power, as the journalists in Ireland are petrified of the two main parties, and they have a nice little thing going at the moment with the extra income by becoming a press advisor.
    Maria Bailey should do the right thing and resign now and slink away under a rock, it'll probably not be for long, as no doubt the next FG TD on the conveyor belt will employ her as parliamentary assistant like she did her father.

Sick of giving rotten politicians a second chance. We deserve everything we get. She needs to get out and give somebody else a chance. Who knows, if we get them out one by one we may actually end up with a decent crowd running the Country.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    She blamed the media and then had to admit that everything they released was correct.

So stupid to blame the media when they are telling the truth.

To quote a text I received earlier from a newspaper clipping

"In Fairness to Maria Bailey, the more you hear about her the more you tend to agree that she needs to be supervised."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Peatys wrote: »
    Her main problem is that the legal advice she originally for was based on the lies in the affidavit. Once she changed that, her legal advice was to drop the case. Madigans won't let themselves be turned into ambulance chasers, so all that is still to come out.

If Maria Baily is keeping to her line that she based everything on legal advise then the legal advise to lie in the affidavit is as big of an issue as her actually lying in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Wheety wrote: »
    So many inconsistencies on her story.

"Sean, I couldn't go home for 3 days"

"I had to work from home all week, Sean"

Also, she wouldn't answer the question on why she thinks the hotel are at fault. Says legal advice told her she has a case. So Madigan's Solicitors are just a bunch of ambulance chasers then?

Haven't listened back to the interview since yesterday at work. .so I may be completely off the mark here.

Did she say that she bought a cocktail at the bar, took the elevator up and then sat on the swing? If so where did the bottle of beer come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

jbt123 wrote: »
    Wheety wrote: »
    So many inconsistencies on her story.

"Sean, I couldn't go home for 3 days"

"I had to work from home all week, Sean"

Also, she wouldn't answer the question on why she thinks the hotel are at fault. Says legal advice told her she has a case. So Madigan's Solicitors are just a bunch of ambulance chasers then?

Haven't listened back to the interview since yesterday at work. .so I may be completely off the mark here.

Did she say that she bought a cocktail at the bar, took the elevator up and then sat on the swing? If so where did the bottle of beer come from?
    Is this the bottle of beer that morphed into a bottle of wine?

• Advertisement

jbt123 wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/transcript-of-maria-bailey-interview-on-sean-o-rourke-show-1.3905867

This bit....
    SOR: Ok, one bottle of beer in one hand ...

MB: I had my beer in my hand, and then I was reaching for my friend’s, I had a bottle of wine, she was taking her camera out of her jacket, I then found myself on the floor.

SOR: Just clarify one thing, did you have something in each hand when this happened?

MB: That would have been a case for the judge to adjudicate on ...

:confused::confused::confused:

She admits she had one bottle and reaching for the other was probably what made her fall. So why not admit it again two seconds later?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

https://twitter.com/CWeston_Indo/status/1133300261550809089

It's not over baby! The Hotel are going to pursue her for their costs.

Delighted. It’s only when there’s a chance of them getting hit with legal costs if they’re found out that people will stop making fraudulent claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if your child fell off the swing you'd give out to them! "getup and stop makin a show of us"

do you reckon she walked into the room and shouted "yay swings" before snotting herself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

D7fFCXGW0AAa3Ki.jpg

Suckit wrote: »
    This bit....

:confused::confused::confused:

She admits she had one bottle and reaching for the other was probably what made her fall. So why not admit it again two seconds later?

i think the first time it just slipped out accidentally

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

From looking at pics of the swings online, it seems there’s some kind of black strips of grippiness adorning the polished wood.. so I’m not sure how far she would have gotten with her “slippy polished wood” claim.
    Although this could have been applied after the fall
    SswMojK.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

JeffKenna wrote: »
    If Maria Baily is keeping to her line that she based everything on legal advise then the legal advise to lie in the affidavit is as big of an issue as her actually lying in it.

I'm saying i believe she didn't give an accurate account to her solicitors in the first place. Only when she changed her story last week did they tell her to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well wouldn't it be interesting to know who the other people with her when she fell were?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Well wouldn't it be interesting to know who the other people with her when she fell were?

I think theres little doubt at this stage Josepha was there, the fact neither is able to say she wasn't there kinda answers the question.

Thats probably not the real issue for Josepha though, its that fact that both of their non answers as to the question was she involved in legally advising Maria are basically reading as a clear "yes she was involved"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

From looking at pics of the swings online, it seems there’s some kind of black strips of grippiness adorning the polished wood.. so I’m not sure how far she would have gotten with her “slippy polished wood” claim.
    SswMojK.jpg

It also looks like you couldn't actually swing on them as they are so near the wall.

In fact it looks almost impossible to fall off them, two bottles or not.

it proves there is a claim culture, not so much with the public but moreso with the legal profession. Check out matt coopers podcast yesterday, Sounds like there's not a lawyer in the land that would have said "don't do it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It also looks like you couldn't actually swing on them as they are so near the wall.

At the end of the day it is a swing, my 2 year old is out of her baby swing and can use one.....

Shiny wood or not, that is no excuse for a grown women to fall out of a swing and then think it is ok to sue someone because she is an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

SswMojK.jpg

Added after, and if you remember that's why Luas had to pay out so much, they added a metal strip after to stop people 'surfing' which is basically them saying it was unsafe apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Think they were added after (and because of) the fall. Saw pictures floating around yesterday of the swings without the black strips on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Surely now it would be in the interest of Bailey to allow the release of the Cctv footage from the hotel to prove how she has beeen wronged.....!

Added after, and if you remember that's why Luas had to pay out so much, they added a metal strip after to stop people 'surfing' which is basically them saying it was unsafe apparently

This is the problem with the current claims system, the fact that you can argue common sense shouldn't be a factor to win a claim is bonkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Paddy McKillian Jr and Senior are not people to be messed with. She picked the wrong fight. There was only going to be one winner when they decided to fight the case. This was very small beer for them but they still choose to fight, she should have known who she was dealing with and withdrew gracefully before the court case began.

She was ill advised to take them on, now her political future is in shreds.

A rare good news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Unless the two bottles are inside you, clearly she was el locko

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Surely now it would be in the interest of Bailey to allow the release of the Cctv footage from the hotel to prove how she has beeen wronged.....!

Nah she knows well it will just make her look more of a fool.

If it was released it would go down in history as one of those classic irish pieces of video, like the chap slipping on the ice on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

VinLieger wrote: »
    I think theres little doubt at this stage Josepha was there, the fact neither is able to say she wasn't there kinda answers the question.

Thats probably not the real issue for Josepha though, its that fact that both of their non answers as to the question was she involved in legally advising Maria are basically reading as a clear "yes she was involved"

Bailey has directly implicated someone from Madigans as advising her she had a clear cut case.

If it transpires that Josepha was not only the lawyer dispensing such advice, but also present when she fell off the swing, effectively making her a witness, I'm not sure how long reached the consequences of this would be for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It was dying down, then she decided to double down and blame everyone and everything apart from herself and it has driven it right back onto the front page

Her PR guy should be sacked on the spot.

The interview was simple yesterday, come inapologize. Say you got bad legal advice. Claim is cancelled. Walk about

All finished......

Nice to see that she has pulled Madigan into the whirlpool. I wonder will Madigan make a statement on whether she advised her or not. I dont think that story will go away too quickly.

Bailey has directly implicated someone from Madigans as advising her she had a clear cut case.

If it transpires that Josepha was not only the lawyer dispensing such advice, but also present when she fell off the swing, effectively making her a witness, I'm not sure how long reached the consequences of this would be for her.

Thats a fair point actually, never thought of that.

Its kind of disappointing I actually like Josepha, but if she was involved to that level in this fiasco im not sure shes gonna recover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I thought the very same when I first saw photos of the swings. How the **** did she manage to fall backwards. :confused:

Greed is indeed a terrible thing. I'm glad it all backfired on her. Unfortunately she is not the only chancer/ fraud sitting in the Dail, so she will probably bluster her way back in at the next election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement