Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

In reality insurance fraud is big business

Solicitor
    Judges
    Doctor
    Chiropractor
    Physios
    Etc
    Etc

All kept in business by fraudulent claims.....thousand get spend in medical profession, not because people need help but because they need a record of how bad the injuries are to try screw the system

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

holyhead wrote: »
    For the life of me I don’t get why she went on SOR yesterday. She is being lampooned and ridiculed up and down the country. She really does require supervision!
    The legal firm also have a lot to answer for. The fact they took her seriously. She comes across as an immature, entitled fantasist with little or no grip on reality.

As has been suggested a central database of failed litigants needs to be established.
    The accuser needs to be required to prove injury than the accused innocence.
    Once said litigation is proved false the accuser pays costs of party accused.
    They should then be hit with a false claim fine of say 10% of the average payout for the injury the claim to have suffered.

Without sufficient deterrent and/or a serious reduction in the levels of awards our composer culture will continue.

Politically she is finished. No chance of her being re-elected to any political position.

“It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.”

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

What I want to know,did she save the drink and not let it
    spill on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

thefishone wrote: »
    spill on the floor.
    Or the fact that she was grand for the rest of the night. But when she woke up the next morning after a session and had a headache, she blamed it on falling off the swing. You couldn't make this shít up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

:D:cool:
    481355.PNG

481356.PNG

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's a few people at fault in this cycle. The person putting in the claim, the lawer but the only reason both of them do what they do is because of the massive payout the judge gives.
    Something like Maria Bailey who said she had to go to physio. Judge should say "you went to 4 physio sessions, they were €60 each, you're awarded €240". The idea that people think they can get €60k for something like this is crazy. Every week on AH there's a 2 or 3 crazy claim payout threads

Maria Bailey fell down on the floor whilst purposing to sit on a swing seat. I’m guessing she came down mainly on one side of her bum, which took the main brunt, with her head coming down a moment after with her arm flailing down a bit. This would mainly result in bruising. Surely one or both of her bottles broke, which must have been full as she had allegedly abstained from drinking, broke and maybe caused a graze.

Now can anybody tell me on earth how intensive physiotherapy would mend those grazes and bruises? I’m getting physio for a musculoskeletal-skeletal condition, must ask my therapist how she could mend cuts and bruises.

My guess is that she was simply and anyway in the business of conditioning herself up for her athletic pursuit, and thought she’d throw this in to “support” her claim. Moreover you do not need a doctor’s referral to attend a physiotherapist.

thefishone wrote: »
    spill on the floor.

Why didn’t she sue for stains/damage to her clothing as well as the “injury”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There might have been a 'no foal, no fee' arrangement, but for me the big thing is that the bad publicity that she has earned for Madigan's law firm will take a long time to go away.

Assuming that the hotel's insurers were defending the case, they could go after her for their costs, but (i) it might be seen as vindictive and (ii) she has saved them money by pulling out!

Are you kidding every fooker with a bogus claim will be down to them as they know they will take any old shyte to court.

I always see the vast majority of the legal profession as being little better than pimps.
    Macdarack wrote: »
    Lowery in Tipperarey comes to mind, this goul will run again and use the victim card, and she'll probably get in again too.

Thing is the Irish like a cute hoor, which the likes of lowry definitely is.

bailey on the other hand comes across as an entitled fooking cnut without two brain cells to rub together.

The Irish definitely detest the entitled type.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Maria Bailey fell down on the floor whilst purposing to sit on a swing seat. I’m guessing she came down mainly on one side of her bum, which took the main brunt, with her head coming down a moment after with her arm flailing down a bit. This would mainly result in bruising. Surely one or both of her bottles broke, which must have been full as she had allegedly abstained from drinking, broke and maybe caused a graze.

Now can anybody tell me on earth how intensive physiotherapy would mend those grazes and bruises? I’m getting physio for a musculoskeletal-skeletal condition, must ask my therapist how she could mend cuts and bruises.

My guess is that she was simply and anyway in the business of conditioning herself up for her athletic pursuit, and thought she’d throw this in to “support” her claim. Moreover you do not need a doctor’s referral to attend a physiotherapist.

I think she had to get a plaster from the receptionist.

Dozy as this one is, it's really sad hearing about all the adventure & play centres closing/ struggling because of insurance costs. It's because of people like her we can't have nice things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

klaaaz wrote: »

481355.PNG

Actually they don't!

They can pass the claim to their insurance company and let it handle the "spurious" claim and pay the €600.

Or they can refuse to allow to allow the PIAB to handle their claim and take their chances in the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The upcoming perjury legislation can't come soon enough. It's basically very difficult to prosecute perjury right now so it's easy to submit a bogus claim without any risk.
    Lawyers are supporting a move to bring in a perjury act to punish people who make false personal injury claims.

It comes after a private members' bill, which would make perjury a statutory offence, was recently introduced in the Oireachtas.

and
    The bill would make perjury a statutory offence, as opposed to being an offence under the common law, which is law that is derived from custom and judicial precedent rather than statutes.

This means common law is less defined than a statutory offence, and so harder to secure a prosecution under.

The same article mentions that there is only one example of a perjury conviction in a personal injury case.

So if this gets done, someone caught lying about a claim could go to jail instead of the toothless civil consequences that they face now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

FineGael are an absolute disgrace in all this.......do nothin and hope it will go away.....It seems there was even a minister involved!

Un bloody believable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

had she broken bones, as her medical bill was rather high,
    and why was she blaming the hotel for not having a supervisor there, I thought an adult did not need someone to supervise them on a swing,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

goat2 wrote: »
    had she broken bones, as her medical bill was rather high,
    and why was she blaming the hotel for not having a supervisor there, I thought an adult did not need someone to supervise them on a swing,

Most over 5's don't need supervision , they have copped on how to hold the rope by then .

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

golfball37 wrote: »
    Spot on- There was data released a while back that showed in no way could claims account for the rise in Motor Insurance we have seen over the past 5 years. I am claim free 20+ years never had a PP. My insurance on same car spec was 310 euro not that long ago. My requote this year was 865e, I shopped around and got it for 750e. Its outrageous but dodgy claims are not the primary reason at all.

We should be allowed access EU insurance markets not the corrupt cartels that are allowed flourish in Ireland.

Same story here. Galling to have it go up year after year and had expected the government to tackle the issue but sadly they don't seem capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Leo should be supervising her. Has he kicked her out of the party yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Enda should be supervising her. Has he kicked her out of the party yet?

No, he has congratulated her on having funds available for the next election....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

The upcoming perjury legislation can't come soon enough. It's basically very difficult to prosecute perjury right now so it's easy to submit a bogus claim without any risk.

The law is there presently if there is a willingness to use it. Fraud

Perjury isn't the real issue but fraud or attempted fraud which is more serious.

The lies or perjury is a tool that is being used to conduct fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Was watching Judge Judy earlier.
    Not sure how real it is, but if she was adjudicating on cases in Ireland we'd have a hell of a lot less dodgy insurance payouts.
    She applies a mysterious method called 'common sense' which results in a lot of cases being thrown out of court. Obviously something that hasn't caught on in Ireland yet.

p.s. before anyone says the Judge Judy programme is dramatised bs, I'm not saying it's not.
    The point still stands if the main character was a judge in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The law is there presently if there is a willingness to use it. Fraud

Perjury isn't the real issue but fraud or attempted fraud which is more serious.

The lies or perjury is a tool that is being used to conduct fraud.

I don't disagree but perjury should be easier to convict than fraud if the legislation is sensible. Hopefully, it will be used widely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't think anyone in FG can laugh at the H Raes after the way this fool carried on.

Talk about a car crash interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Don't think anyone in FG can laugh at the H Raes after the way this fool carried on.

Talk about a car crash interview.

Or Margaret Cash, Erica Fleming, your one in tipp wanting stables, etc etc etc.

They now have their own self centred, freeloading scrounger with a mighty dose of self entitlement within their own ranks, and leo doesn't seem to be able to do anything about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Leos too busy fine dining in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

He's talking to her in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

golfball37 wrote: »
    Spot on- There was data released a while back that showed in no way could claims account for the rise in Motor Insurance we have seen over the past 5 years. I am claim free 20+ years never had a PP. My insurance on same car spec was 310 euro not that long ago. My requote this year was 865e, I shopped around and got it for 750e. Its outrageous but dodgy claims are not the primary reason at all.

We should be allowed access EU insurance markets not the corrupt cartels that are allowed flourish in Ireland.

Same here. I was shocked at the initial quote I received, almost double what I paid last year. I got a better quote but I feel it's daylight robbery at this stage. The car probably isn't worth an awful lot more than the first figure I was quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hes conspicuous by his absence. Running around with the Europeans. Caesar dances,while Rome crumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Over 7,000 listens on Soundcloud by the time I started listening to it. Only 12 minutes in and I can't believe what I'm hearing
    120k now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Fotish wrote: »
    “It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.”

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses as Sir Humphrey said.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

If i was the Killens, i'd be waiting until election time before i released the video of maria and josepha...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Same here. I was shocked at the initial quote I received, almost double what I paid last year. I got a better quote but I feel it's daylight robbery at this stage. The car probably isn't worth an awful lot more than the first figure I was quoted.

As Gay Byrne once said, we wanted our independence, we have to pay for it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement