Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

And you, also, have done your best.

Bailey is a fool and is in the process of being hung out to dry by her own party. Quite rightly. But to see people use this as a wedge to demonstrate widespread political corruption is frankly, pitiable. Good evening to you.

What wedge, are you living in some exaggerated fantasy world bubble of what people post compared to what actually was posted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The nepotism is strong in this one

To be fair, thats not uncommon in Irish politics, north and south.

They aren't breaking any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair, thats not uncommon in Irish politics, north and south.

They aren't breaking any rules.

I thought public job type positions that are paid for the tax payer have to be advertised and be fair and transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought public job type positions that are paid for the tax payer have to be advertised and be fair and transparent.

Not sure what the legalities of them are, but I know a few Derry based politicians over the years who had several family members in their employ.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-15463472

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40775431

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/assembly-will-only-be-reformed-when-mlas-employing-family-members-is-recognised-for-the-nepotism-it-is-29639052.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Saw an article on the front page of the Indo today indicating that the nightclub had planned to use cctv to challenge Bailey's claims in court.

How long until that gets leaked? This story hasn't yet run its course.

The indo once again this morning finishing up on the article with this.
    Meanwhile Culture Minister Josepha Madigan is refusing to say whether she was involved in the legal case.

Ms Bailey is represented by the minister's family law firm, Madigan Solicitors. Ms Madigan left the practice, which is headed by her brother, in 2017.

She stonewalled reporters while arriving and leaving an event in Dublin yesterday.

Which is where I believe it's ultimately headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I listened to the SOR interview last night.

She came across as a totally self-involved, dishonest, vacuous, out-of-touch woman who should never have gone on the radio. Does she really believe the stuff she came out with? Talk about playing the victim! She's been caught with her hand in the compensation cookie-jar and instead of acknowledging it, she's showing herself to be in complete denial by her ould codology.

Varadker may convince her to relinquish her Chairperson role today, but I can't see him having the Whip removed from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

meeeeh wrote: »
    She is represented by firm run by Josepha Madigan's brother. The same firm Josepha Madigan used to work for. I know very little about how law firms operate but it seems Josepha Madigan worked a lot in the area of family law. I wouldn't necessarily conclude she had inside knowledge of the case but I wouldn't be surprised if she knew about it. But I don't think Madigan's husband is involved in any way.

Lots of rumours Josepha Madigan took the case on in the first place

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"So you think I have a case?"

"Maria, you're in luck, you're swing suit is just the thing I need to rebuild my shattered practice! Care to join me in a belt of scotch?"

"Do you even have to ask Josepha?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

janfebmar wrote: »
    A fair and accurate summary.

Interesting to compare "the interview a fiasco on par with a stumbling performance by Brian Cowen in 2010 when he was taoiseach. He denied being drunk."

I know one thing, my insurance has gone up a hell of a lot, and I am never voting FG again. Never. Not after Varadkars performance.

A report a few months ago has shown increases aren’t to do with claims.

Insurance companies are happy to give this assumption though so they don’t get the blame.

It’s one big cartel and that’s why a lot of them were raided last year as part of an investigation.

Which has gone quite.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/eu-irish-car-insurance-probe-eyes-closure-849710.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

A report a few moths ago has shown increases aren’t to do with claims.

Insurance companies are happy to give this assumption though so they don’t get the blame.

It’s one big cartel and that’s why a lot of them were raided last year as part of an investigation.

Which has gone quite.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/eu-irish-car-insurance-probe-eyes-closure-849710.html

Ohhhhhh so fg are now turning on the insurance companies?is this the next phase of defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Was watching Judge Judy earlier.
    Not sure how real it is, but if she was adjudicating on cases in Ireland we'd have a hell of a lot less dodgy insurance payouts.
    She applies a mysterious method called 'common sense' which results in a lot of cases being thrown out of court. Obviously something that hasn't caught on in Ireland yet.

p.s. before anyone says the Judge Judy programme is dramatised bs, I'm not saying it's not.
    The point still stands if the main character was a judge in Ireland.

The people are real, the cases are real, the rulings are final.

smurgen wrote: »
    Ohhhhhh so fg are now turning on the insurance companies?is this the next phase of defence?

Wasn’t FG who raided them.

Was the EU, read the article at least ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

A report a few moths ago has shown increases aren’t to do with claims.

Which has gone quite.

It's not gone quiet at all. The Commission just started an investigation into Insurance Ireland operating a cartel earlier this month.

https://www.thejournal.ie/european-commission-insurance-ireland-4633705-May2019/

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It's not gone quiet at all. The Commission just started an investigation into Insurance Ireland operating a cartel earlier this month.

https://www.thejournal.ie/european-commission-insurance-ireland-4633705-May2019/

Good to see.

I wonder who the friend was with Maria on the night?

This CCTV footage will be interesting, and not only for the white knuckle ride - swing footage.

N4WhIgI.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I wonder who the friend was with Maria on the night?

I'm betting it's the friend that changed her FB profile pic.

I'm betting it's the friend that changed her FB profile pic.

Same friend pictured with Maria at the same hotel two years later during Simons leadership bid?

STB. wrote: »
    Could there be substance to the claims by Maria Bailey that [the leak] "... was methodical. It was well orchestrated, it was pre-planned to cause maximum damage and I am the collateral damage in in the interim of that."

Or is it more smoke and mirrors.

The file having a mention in the courts (was it 20th May) would have been down to Maria, her legal team and the courts themselves. Can’t blame anyone else for the timing of it coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

This is an unholy can of worms for fg :

IF Josepha Madigan was the other person at the hotel on that fateful Friday night, as seems likely,

AND IF, Josepha Madigan was Bailey's lawyer in this attempted fraud, then she played an active part in attempted fraud, and she should be in deep do do

The fact that she is now a government minister will effectively mean that this could become an existential issue for this government....

• Advertisement

Chair supervisor must have called in sick today as it’s just been reported that Maria won’t be chairing her committee today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Chair supervisor must have called in sick today as it’s just been reported that Maria won’t be chairing her committee today :D

She got pulled from that yesterday

Probably afraid she might tell her story again

No sticky back anti slip strips on the chair apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

No sticky back anti slip strips on the chair apparently.

No Adequate Adult Supervision of the Chair today either apparently....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sadly I think this lady firmly believes she's in the right. Having regaled her colleagues with the tale of her near death experience, they were convinced she had a valid case (and why not sure everybody is doing it?) so they set out to claim her legal entitlement.
    While you could describe it as insurance fraud, unfortunately I think that would be very difficult to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Sadly I think this lady firmly believes she's in the right. Having regaled her colleagues with the tale of her near death experience, they were convinced she had a valid case (and why not sure everybody is doing it?) so they set out to claim her legal entitlement.
    While you could describe it as insurance fraud, unfortunately I think that would be very difficult to prove.

She'll be convicted at the ballot box next re-election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

BattleCorp wrote: »

Short memories people have.After what the father got away with for years you would think she’d have no chance getting in the first place.same for the other disgraced family names. Unfortunately this is just how the game works and will never change.
    People play to their audience and as soon as they are elected it’s poof see you next term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

We speak a lot about 'entitlement' in our culture but rarely do we speak of the entitlement attitude at the top-end of society. The entitlement that people of certain backgrounds and professions think they have to have themselves, their family and mates run the country despite the glaring lack of competence and leadership qualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

STB. wrote: »
    Could there be substance to the claims by Maria Bailey that [the leak] "... was methodical. It was well orchestrated, it was pre-planned to cause maximum damage and I am the collateral damage in in the interim of that."

Or is it more smoke and mirrors.

There undoubtedly is substance to it.

But the press is both part of, and gains from, that type of orchestration, so has little interest in acknowledging it, let alone studying it or taking it into account in the drip drip hounding of their prey.

And it is clear that this is both colouring Bailey's handling of the issue, and colouring much of the publics view who are ignoring this element in order to enjoy too much the personalised savaging of her. The two sides are seeing different events in effect, and so are at cross purposes.

She is presenting herself as a victim, due to this organised dirty tricks. Which makes her seem arrogant, dim, and out of touch with reality to those who are missing that element of events. The press and mob just don't want to complicate their simplistic mocking and feeding frenzy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

BattleCorp wrote: »

Aye, the same way Michael Lowry and the three prime time councillors were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement