Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'm intrigued now as to the other rules of the playground. If it's not already on the list can we add "Don't do a Legolas on the slide".

...and you cannot whistle while chewing the grizzly bits of a chicken nugget or sucking on a gobstopper while straddled on a swingswong.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Help, I'm trapped in this room!

There's a door which I assume I could use to leave but I can't find any instructions on how to operate it, neither is there anyone here to supervise me and make sure I don't injure myself while attempting to open it.

Woe is me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

razorblunt wrote: »
    She sat on a swing with items in both her hands.
    Rule no12 of the playground, always grab on when getting on a swing.
    Eejit.

Would she let her children on a swing with their hands full ???

Case closed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

BPKS wrote: »
    You are comparing apples and oranges.

The point is when you put a swing in a pub you should have foreseen that there was a good chance that at some stage some drunk person would fall off it.

So what? It should still be the individual's responsibility if they choose to do it and get injured in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I've fallen off a swing before, with a pint in each hand and not spilled either of them. (While Singing)

Can I be a TD please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

She should fit into a government role nicely if elected.
    Showing she has no morals ,she will fit right in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

She should fit into a government role nicely if elected.
    Showing she has no morals ,she will fit right in.

Not when she prone to losing her seat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So a 43 year old claims they can't use a swing without instructions in a court but feels she is competent enough to be a TD. .

Sorry Paulie, just a small correction here of your post, and in defence of Maria, it actually happened five years ago when she was only 38. *Sniggers*
    Would she let her children on a swing with their hands full ???
    As said , this happened five years ago when Enda was Taosieach.

Maybe she's the person with a pint in each hand he was always on about?

As a side note.

Her local swimming pool have felt compelled to install signs in anticipation of Ms Bailey's weekend visit.

57_bf9c1f05-3db5-4219-92cd-4fb985b8f9b2_600x600.jpg?v=1538373506

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

"The Government’s efforts to tackle claims culture cannot be taken seriously when a Fine Gael TD is taking a case over falling off a swing, a former justice minister warned."
    Fair play to Senator Michael McDowell who highlighted the case in the Seanad last night.

He questioned the proposition that “there should be supervisors for swings when adults are using them and that it’s a matter of civil liability if there isn’t”.
    We live in a strange world where civil liability can exist in such circumstances,” Mr McDowell added.
    “If the Government is serious about driving down the claims culture, we cannot stand idly by when adults lose their seat with two objects, one in each hand and fall off a swing and then claim that there should have been a supervisor looking after them.”
    He added: “Especially when it comes from somebody who has so much public influence and clearly influence over Government policy in these matters.”

The above were snippets taken from today's Irish Independent. Link here.

Did ye know that Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey’s lawyers (not just one) listed 18 particulars of alleged negligence or breach of duty including a failure to have signs or supervisors. 18!
    Her lawyers claim there should have been signs or a member of staff to instruct how to use the swing safely.
    They also state there was nobody to supervise and intervene if a patron was at risk of a fall, and there was no cushioning of the area surrounding the swing. Feckin' cushions!

Don't forget that Culture Minister Josepha Madigan’s family firm is taking the case, or should that be Vulture Minister Josepha Madigan?
    And I apologise firsthand to the scavenging bird of prey for this reference.
    We live in a strange world indeed.

What I would love to see is a message being delivered to Fine Gael on Friday.
    Do not vote for any Fine Gael member running for the various positions and I'm sure that the message would go out to them to stop treating the Irish people with contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I've fallen off a swing before, with a pint in each hand and not spilled either of them. (While Singing)

Can I be a TD please ?

I'm sorry, but you are too competent to be a TD. If one of the pints had spilled, then maybe you'd be eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I don't like him but thought it was worth sharing :-)

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0521/1050900-maria-bailey/

I likewise used to despise the man when he was in government, but in retrospect he's probably one of the best politicians we have who isn't afraid to say it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I likewise used to despise the man when he was in government, but in retrospect he's probably one of the best politicians we have who isn't afraid to say it as it is.
    when you compare him to some of the creatures we have now... he was a calibre above and we didnt know it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'd be sorry if the media and political momentum rang out of this story so soon. For me it's massive. This is a very clear and real chance for our government to show that it's against claims culture and the consequent tax on insurance premiums that is placed on Irish society. If FG put the interests of one grasping TD ahead of making good optics on an important issue, then they don't deserve to be elected again.

While the sums in this particular case are tiny in comparison to the folly of rural broadband and the children's hospital, there's an important principle to address. I long thought that FG weren't quite as venal as FF, but shíte like this tells me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

boombang wrote: »
    I'd be sorry if the media and political momentum rang out of this story so soon. For me it's massive. This is a very clear and real chance for our government to show that it's against claims culture and the consequent tax on insurance premiums that is placed on Irish society. If FG put the interests of one grasping TD ahead of making good optics on an important issue, then they don't deserve to be elected again.

While the sums in this particular case are tiny in comparison to the folly of rural broadband and the children's hospital, there's an important principle to address. I long thought that FG weren't quite as venal as FF, but shíte like this tells me otherwise.

It’s in the Journal today!

Maybe people will now stop with this FG and Denis O Brien controls the media stories.

Which most sane people knew was nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Imagine being a 43 year old politician and trying to sue a hotel for an "unsupervised" swing, and no instructions on how to properly use it.

Absolutley madness. Hope every kid who's fallen off a swing in a park follows her lead so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Never thought I would say this, but Michael McDowell talks alot of sense especially in regards to the behaviour of Maria Bailey. If ever an individual deserves to be rejected by voters, she does. I'm sure her behaviour will be mentioned at the next GE .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Never thought I would say this, but Michael McDowell talks alot of sense especially in regards to the behaviour of Maria Bailey. If ever an individual deserves to be rejected by voters, she does. I'm sure her behaviour will be mentioned at the next GE .

He is talking sense but I wonder how many times he's stood in court, argued for some nonsense compensation to be paid out, and taken home a nice fat fee from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Crazy bloody country this. And the ordinary hard working honest person pays for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He is talking sense but I wonder how many times he's stood in court, argued for some nonsense compensation to be paid out, and taken home a nice fat fee from it.

He's one of the main people behind the canceling of the luas metrolink because he owns and rents a couple of properties near that single rat run in ranelagh that would be closed.

If it was a politician in office who pulled what he did with the metrolink he'd be giving out about them too, the mans a pious hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Considering his time as a politician and AG, I doubt he spent much time arguing for compensation. I believe McCabe was happy with his representation though. Anyways this is not about McDowell other than to highlight the sense he spoke in the Seanad. You can't believe FG when they claim they want the compo culture tackled when their TD's behave in this manner. I say TD's as we had the behaviour of Alan Farrell prior to this lastest episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It’s in the Journal today!

Maybe people will now stop with this FG and Denis O Brien controls the media stories.

Which most sane people knew was nonsense.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mcdowell-bailey-seanad-4646227-May2019/
    The story about mcdowell is in the journal....but not the actual story bizarrely, and the comments are closed

Considering his time as a politician and AG, I doubt he spent much time arguing for compensation. I believe McCabe was happy with his representation though. Anyways this is not about McDowell other than to highlight the sense he spoke in the Seanad. You can't believe FG when they claim they want the compo culture tackled when their TD's behave in this manner. I say TD's as we had the behaviour of Alan Farrell prior to this lastest episode.

Don't forget about the scumbag in Monaghan who tried to sue his own victim after glassing him in a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

A few years ago, a child family member fell off a swing and broke both their arms. Pretty serious breaks in both, and to make matters worse, they were a lead in a play later that week. Got to hospital, got them all patched up, and do you know what we did then? Told them to hold on tighter next time.
    During the play, they actually had to sit on one of those fake swings. Despite having both arms in casts, they still managed to do this, and act and sing... and not fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don't forget about the scumbag in Monaghan who tried to sue his own victim after glassing him in a bar.
    Yikes who was that? Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

gmisk wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mcdowell-bailey-seanad-4646227-May2019/
    The story about mcdowell is in the journal....but not the actual story bizarrely, and the comments are closed

Same goes for time the Irish Times. They covered McDowell's comments, not Maria's case itself. No letters to the editor on the topic either. Haven't looked for an editorial or comment article yet. I think this one is ripe for legitimate coverage and comment. I would think there's something funny going on if there's no such comment in the IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

boombang wrote: »
    Same goes for time the Irish Times. They covered McDowell's comments, not Maria's case itself. No letters to the editor on the topic either. Haven't looked for an editorial or comment article yet. I think this one is ripe for legitimate coverage and comment. I would think there's something funny going on if there's no such comment in the IT.

Yep, friends in high places. Same with the Examiner (now owned by the same owners of the Irish Times .............. hmmmm.)
    Frankly, it stinks.

gmisk wrote: »
    Yikes who was that? Do you have a link?

link
    Mr Duffy then head-butted him twice, Conlan said, causing his glass to break off the bar. “I fully refute any allegation that I assaulted Enda Duffy,” he told gardaThe court heard both Mr Duffy and Conlan had been in contact with the Injuries Board in relation to claims against each other, with Conlan making the first contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Alan Farrell was on Late Debate Radio 1 on 4 April. They were discussing insurance

Podcast page here...
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_thelatedebate.xml

The one to look for is (about half way down the page)...
    "Insurance - Angela Merkel in Dublin - Divestment"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree swing it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The courts needs an Exit door with a sign on it saying "F*** ***".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement