Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead time on a new bike

Options
  • 21-05-2019 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭

Quick question for anyone here that's bought new off a dealer, in the last few years.

What was the lead time on your bike once you ordered it.

I've just been told I could have have to wait up to 12 weeks for a new motorcycle off a main dealer. (8 weeks in the absolute best case scenario, which is unlikely)

Summer is over by then so I don't see the point in buying it, I'd be better waiting until after Xmas.

I bought new 2 years ago and only had to wait 3 or 4 weeks for the bike (they had it in stock but couldn't release it until Euro 4 was officially in place)

I've added a poll.
    Can you let me know what you bought and who you bought it off and how long ago the purchase was made?

Cheers
    G.

How long did you have to wait for your new bike to be delivered? 7 votes

2-4 weeks
    71% 5 votes
    4-6 weeks
    28% 2 votes
    6-8 weeks
    0% 0 votes
    8-10 weeks
    0% 0 votes
    10-12 weeks
    0% 0 votes
    Over 12 weeks
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Bought a new CBR6000F from Bikeworld in 2004, took 2+ months to come in and they were absolutely useless at giving me a concrete delivery date.

Have bought 2 x S1000R's from Kearys in Cork and they were spot on with their times, from memory it was 4-6 weeks for the first one and the salesman kept me updated as it was being built in the factory, sent me screenshots from his ordering system etc. and in the end it actually arrived a couple days early and the lads had it PDIed very quickly.

The 2nd one was ex-display stock so was shipped over from the UK and ready for me in no time, talking less than a week.

If you're ordering a new S1000RR, I think the first production run is completely sold out and possibly the 2nd one as well at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Got mine in 2 weeks, ex-UK, as RoI didn't have/want to bring in the colour I wanted. I could have had it quicker if I just went over.

Car sales are not like bike sales, I'd only buy what was on-the-floor, and just to to wherever that is: whether RoI, NI, UK or further afield even.

I'd wait up to 4 weeks max, here, outside of that I don't think I'd have the patience tbh.

And, of course RoI bikes are now "odd" spec, what with UK lights and EU dash (kms). If the bike has a digital dash that's a non-issue.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I just think this 12 week business is a load of sh*te.

There is absolutely no point in handing over €20k-€25k for a bike only for it to arrive 3 months later and the summer is over.
    Then it's sitting in a Garage for 6 months seeing very little usage, and losing value.

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Maybe you're ordering accessories etc. But would you not consider a very low mileage test model for probably 10% cheaper and available straight away?

zubair wrote: »
    Maybe you're ordering accessories etc. But would you not consider a very low mileage test model for probably 10% cheaper and available straight away?

Got "burned" with a demo bike in the past.

And also the bike I want isn't available til June. (it's a 12 week lead time from Order not from June btw)

• Advertisement

grahambo wrote: »
    I just think this 12 week business is a load of sh*te.

There is absolutely no point in handing over €20k-€25k for a bike only for it to arrive 3 months later and the summer is over.
    Then it's sitting in a Garage for 6 months seeing very little usage, and losing value.

No thanks

You don't hand over the money until you get the bike, only a deposit........

The whole summer/winter thing isn't valid imho. I got a good deal buying my bike at end September: they're cheaper then.

Can't see the number plate from the seat imho...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

And also the bike I want isn't available til June. (it's a 12 week lead time from Order not from June btw)

What brand - Japanese ?

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    You don't hand over the money until you get the bike, only a deposit........

The whole summer/winter thing isn't valid imho. I got a good deal buying my bike at end September: they're cheaper then.

Can't see the number plate from the seat imho...........

It's not Reg, it's that the best drving to be had on the weekends is during the summer.
    192 or 191 I couldn't care less
    galwaytt wrote: »
    What brand - Japanese ?

German (BMW)

I just got some lead time on an Aprilia though, 3 to 4 weeks

9e9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's not Reg, it's that the best drving to be had on the weekends is during the summer.
    192 or 191 I couldn't care less

German (BMW)

I just got some lead time on an Aprilia though, 3 to 4 weeks

9e9.gif

Best driving to be had is on a bike you like.

People seem to think that bikes should spend 3 months out a year.

Yeah no thanks

Also we had good weather last year right up until the end of sept and beyond

Advertisement