Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanner for film negatives

Options
  • 21-05-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

First post on this forum. I used to take a lot of photographs back in the day when you had to take the film to be developed. I've loads of negatives & don't know what's on half them. Anyone recommend a scanner for negatives. Not really looking for something where you have to push each negative thru'. A device that would scan a few together would be ideal. Don't have a massive budget. Ideally circa €200 or less would be perfect.
    Anyone have experience of this?.

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If its a once off you might want to look into outsourcing it rather than buying a cheap scanner doing average job and gathering dust for the rest of its life.

Not sure of the cost per frame, though, but something to consider.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A lot of flatbed scanners have the facility to scan film. There are also dedicated film scanners that you can pick up on Amazon for £100-150 or so, but you do scan each negative individually (better value for money than the flatbed option but equally you can scan photos with that also)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The other benefit with scanning your own is you have much more control over how they come out

Now I've transferred many thousands including B&W, slides as well as negatives. If you have a look at the random film photograph thread in the main Photography forum you'll see some examples of where I've scanned film. They are mainly concerts where lighting was difficult but I'm more than happy with the way they turned out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Anyone use a place to do it? Last time I checked it was hugely expensive. Using a flatbed with adaptor or dedicated neg send to takes ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how many negs in total?
    one issue with paying to get them scanned is that if you intending to cherry pick the good ones to scan, it's going to add unnecessary expense. they'll scan the whole strip, not just a single pic, and charge accordingly.
    also, are these intended for printing or just for the screen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How do you mark the ones you want? That sounds time consuming also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had a quick look on Amazon.co.uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITNOW-Negative-Computer-Software-Required/dp/B01HZXAKZ4/ is £50, and has a decent rating for a decent number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for all the replies. Would like to take a look myself rather that dropping a load of negatives to a shop. Most are probably sh!te so would just like to cherry pick the good ones.
    Will have a look on amazon.

Thanks,

T.

Advertisement