Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir T&C change to 90 day topups

Options
  • 21-05-2019 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I note that Eir has changed its T&Cs (quite a while ago I think) to require you to top up every 90 days (why not 30 days, huh Eir?). Wouldn't one be required to be notified of this T&C by text?

More to the point, customers, mostly older customers, are being cut off left and right (eg: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057938532) with no notification whatsoever. There's no way to tell or know until you need to make a call.

Isn't being cut off some sort of T&C change? Is there any legal requirement to notify your customers? Not sure if a PAYG phone, even one that was used for 17 years (!), has the same protections of EU law.

So my Dad is out walking, falls and cuts himself and suddenly cannot call my mother to come and help him. Which is why he has the phone in the first place.

Eir's response (in a shop in Dublin) was: Sure we've millions of customers.

Notably these are the same customers who have landlands with Eir since they were P&T. My Dad has been with them since the 1970s.

Not any more. Obviously...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone interval for top up is 6 months so they're a better option for infrequent top ups.

Eir are fairly lax about notifying T&C changes: "Comreg? who cares" seems to be their attitude.

From this link...
    https://www.eir.ie/support/mobile/Topping-up-eir-Mobile/

...it says...
    If you do not top up your number within 90 days, the number will go into a temporarily barred state. This can be solved by topping up by a minimum of €5, as soon as possible.

...but the very next paragraph says...
    After 150 days numbers that have not been topped up will be unable to make any outgoing services. The number will still be able to receive information (such as calls and texts) for 30 days.

...which seems to contradict the previous paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

If I remember I couldn't make a call to the top up number (whatever it is) to top up to disable the barring!! And calling Eir themselves, well, anyone ever managed that without being on hold forever?

Yes, I moved to Vodaphone after 3s service went to pot as well as their out of band charges zooming up (at mysteriously the same time that roaming was banned). I'm sure it'll be like being beaten with a different type of stick but they aren't Eir so they'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

There's a text number for top ups (50103) which worked for me recently on a data SIM that wasn't topped up for 149 days and data connection worked before top up so wonder when this 90 day rule was introduced.

If you have the old SIM still, maybe try texting any 12 digit code to 50103 to see if it sends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

eir is very quick at giving your number to some one else wen its turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Ten Pin wrote: »
    There's a text number for top ups (50103) which worked for me recently on a data SIM that wasn't topped up for 149 days and data connection worked before top up so wonder when this 90 day rule was introduced.

If you have the old SIM still, maybe try texting any 12 digit code to 50103 to see if it sends.

It doesn't send. Pity, I thought that would work too. No wonder Eir tech support is swamped if this is the level they're at...

• Advertisement
Advertisement