Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please!!

Options
  • 21-05-2019 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there,

I'll try keep this short as possible. Im in my 30s - very creative and my main passion is music. Went to college and got my qualifications. Have a long history of severe depression and anxiety - which doesnt help with work! I wanted a career in music but it never happened aside from teaching!

I got my first proper stable job 3.5 years ago. Got promoted in jan 2018 - to a team leader/coordinator role. Never thought id be able to cope but have done really well so far thankfully!

Things have changed in the last year - new manager (our last one was amazing), falling bookings and income, different energy in team, increase in outside competition, lots of changes etc. The lady who i took over from has taken lots of our clients and it just feels like our project has reached its peak and things are only going to get worse. Im filled with dread most of the time there and have lost my passion for it - feel my creativity is stifled and like im wasting my time-just want to work on my music but i know i wont find a stable job there. Im just scared of moving to another job and it not working out though!

I now have a stable and semi decent income. But i dont want my self esteem being damaged again and cant stand this misery for too much longer. Id love to find a less stressful part time job with similar hours and pay but with less responsibility and have some time to work on music.

My boyfriend and i are planning on starting a family in the next 2 years or so - should i just stick it out until then and then leave. Or find something else in the next few months and risk the move even if it means a bit less money?

Really appreciate any constructive feedback!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

If you've lost your passion for the job then look for a new one. A feeling of dread isn't healthy and will take its toll on your mental health and any plans to start a family. A job is only a job. Life is too short to be miserable in a job you don't enjoy. There are loads of great opportunities out there and great companies to work for. Sounds like you are good at what you do so be good at it somewhere else!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

There is no loss whatsoever in chatting to a few recruitment agencies and asking them to keep an eye out for jobs in the media industry.

Your team lead experience is a marketable and transferable skill!!

As someone who has zero motivation anymore and is just coasting along day by day my advice is if you can jump, just do it. Ive not found a job that is worth a jump financially or in my area of interest/expertise but as soon as I do, I'm gone in a heartbeat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Don't let your misery be at the drudgery of somebody else being a fookwit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Get another job.

Do music part-time as a hobby and see where it goes from there.

For example, I make electronic music using Ableton, and do gigs here and there...

Advertisement