Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a 13 hole single comp be qualifying?

Options
  • 21-05-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭

Forgive the dopey question but as I understand it the GUI now sanctions 9 hole qualifying competitions. Is that sanction limited strictly to 9 hole competitions or can competitions which are held on a number of holes between 9 and 18 also be qualifying if the club so elects?

My club often play a 13 hole "twilight" type competition but it's not qualifying and I think it would generate more interest if it was but before I go making a total tool of myself by suggesting they make it qualifying I'd like to know that it's possible for it to be qualifying.

I've checked on GUI and just can't find anything relating to qualifying competitions which are greater than 9 holes but less than 18 so I suspect to be qualifying the competition must be either 9 or 18 exclusively but I'd appreciate confirmation or otherwise from more knowledgeable and experienced golfers on here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

as Victor Meldrew would have said

I don't beelieve so

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

54&56 wrote: »
    Forgive the dopey question but as I understand it the GUI now sanctions 9 hole qualifying competitions. Is that sanction limited strictly to 9 hole competitions or can competitions which are held on a number of holes between 9 and 18 also be qualifying if the club so elects?

My club often play a 13 hole "twilight" type competition but it's not qualifying and I think it would generate more interest if it was but before I go making a total tool of myself by suggesting they make it qualifying I'd like to know that it's possible for it to be qualifying.

I've checked on GUI and just can't find anything relating to qualifying competitions which are greater than 9 holes but less than 18 so I suspect to be qualifying the competition must be either 9 or 18 exclusively but I'd appreciate confirmation or otherwise from more knowledgeable and experienced golfers on here.

Thanks in advance.

Should be 9 only as you basically double your points to work out handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

GreeBo wrote: »

How do you mean "double your points to work out handicaps"? I'm not sure that makes any sense?

In a 9 hole competition if you are playing the front 9 then you get 18 points automatically for the back 9. So if you shoot 18 points in the comp your total is 18+18=36.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Gotcha, I guess that makes sense.

Pity that there isn't some sort of Pro Rata formula which would allow other non 18 (but greater than 9) hole competitions to be qualifying e.g. dividing your 9 hole score of 18 points in a Stableford Comp by 0.5 would give you an equivalent 18 hole score of 36 for calculating handicap wouldn't dividing your 13 hole score of 26 by 0.72222 thus giving you an equivalent 18 hole score of 36 achieve the same thing?

I know that 12, 13 or 14 hole competitions are popular within many clubs because 9 holes seems a bit too short so it's a shame they cannot be qualifying.

Whilst simply doubling your 9 hole score is easy I'd argue that extrapolating a 13 hole competition result to a pro rata 18 hole score for handicap reasons would actually be more accurate as you've a larger number of holes played in the sample size.

Anyway, I doubt the GUI pay much attention to the ramblings of a random poster on Boards so now that I've gotten that off my chest I'll go play my 13 hole comp this evening safe in the knowledge that I won't be getting 0.1 back :o

as miley says, this makes no sense.
    but I guess you mean double your score to work out if your handicap will be subject to an adjustment.... but this would be wrong also
    How do you mean "double your points to work out handicaps"? I'm not sure that makes any sense?

In a 9 hole competition if you are playing the front 9 then you get 18 points automatically for the back 9. So if you shoot 18 points in the comp your total is 18+18=36.

miley is correct, you take your 9 hole score and add 18 points to determine if your handicap will be adjusted

https://www.golfnet.ie/Documents/2016%209%20Hole%20Qualifying%20Competitions%20-%20Guidelines.pdf

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    as miley says, this makes no sense.
    but I guess you mean double your score to work out if your handicap will be subject to an adjustment.... but this would be wrong also

miley is correct, you take your 9 hole score and add 18 points to determine if your handicap will be adjusted

https://www.golfnet.ie/Documents/2016%209%20Hole%20Qualifying%20Competitions%20-%20Guidelines.pdf

From your link:
    For handicap purposes, when a player fails to return a score within their Buffer Zone the points accumulated over the 9 holes played is doubled.
    Shot increases and decreases are calculated using the 9 hole SSS.

From your link:

you're still wrong ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why can't it not be qualifying, you are playing 9 holes and then 4 more, just use the score from the 9 as the "qualifying" element

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

It makes sense because thats what Congu says to do. :)

If you miss your buffer then you double your score rather than just add 18.

You cant double it if the comp is over more than 9 holes, hence its only valid for 9 hole comps and not 13 as the OP was asking about.
    Working out your handicap is not possible for more than 9 holes as the formula is for 9 holes (its not just half your handicap!)

Also note that its *any* nine holes, not just front or back 9, all you need is an SSS for the 9 holes in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

You cant double it if the comp is over more than 9 holes, hence its only valid for 9 hole comps and not 13 as the OP was asking about.
    Working out your handicap is not possible for more than 9 holes as the formula is for 9 holes (its not just half your handicap!)

Also note that its *any* nine holes, not just front or back 9, all you need is an SSS for the 9 holes in question.

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to create a flexible formula which would facilitate qualifying competitions of greater than 9 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Hence the IF in my post. It was for ease of understanding that I stated front 9 and back 9.

Your post still made no sense by the way;)

while "any" 9 holes can qualify, it can't just be any 9 holes. there must be a designated 9 hole course

to further confuse matters :D your 9 hole handicap is not necessarily half of your handicap.

also, your point about doubling the score is not really relevant and is only used for purposes of handicap review as opposed to handicap adjustments.

eg shoot 20 points. double is 40 but adding 18 will be 38. css is 36. assuming no clause 19 adj. cut will be worked out 2 shots (38-36) and not 4 shots based on a score of 40.
    now lets say you play load of 9 hole comps and regularly shoot something between 10-13 points. add 18 to that and you get 28-31 which could be close to the buffer and someone regularily shooting 31 points would not be up for handicap review at end of year (or whenever it is done) but double the scores gives you a range between 20-26 and lots of these kinds of scores will certainly merit a look with a consideration to reviewing the handicap.

while "any" 9 holes can qualify, it can't just be any 9 holes. there must be a designated 9 hole course
    I know, I said that in the post of mine you quoted? :confused:
    to further confuse matters :D your 9 hole handicap is not necessarily half of your handicap.
    I know, I literally said that in the post of mine you quoted?:confused:
    also, your point about doubling the score is not really relevant and is only used for purposes of handicap review as opposed to handicap adjustments.
    Handicap review....where you....adjust handicaps?
    eg shoot 20 points. double is 40 but adding 18 will be 38. css is 36. assuming no clause 19 adj. cut will be worked out 2 shots (38-36) and not 4 shots based on a score of 40.
    now lets say you play load of 9 hole comps and regularly shoot something between 10-13 points. add 18 to that and you get 28-31 which could be close to the buffer and someone regularily shooting 31 points would not be up for handicap review at end of year (or whenever it is done) but double the scores gives you a range between 20-26 and lots of these kinds of scores will certainly merit a look with a consideration to reviewing the handicap.

All of which goes to show that its 9 holes only because your score is doubled (when you miss the buffer) which is what I said in the first reply to the OP, but by all means keep posting about it...:rolleyes:

Advertisement