Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post Parcel Lockers (Like ParcelMotel)

• 21-05-2019 2:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It looks like An Post are rolling out parcel lockers very similar to ParcelMotel. I saw one in front of my local sorting office today. Though not working yet.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/an-post-plans-nationwide-network-of-parcel-lockers-as-online-shopping-soars-37829944.html

I'm delighted to see An Post finally doing this. It was such an obvious move, I've been complaining about it for a long time!

I wonder how this will work. I hope it isn't just for AddressPal.

I hope it works like Deustche Post in Germany. In Germany, you don't even have to sign up to the service, DP will first try adn deliver the parcel to your home, if you aren't home, they leave a miss parcel slip in your letter box and then leave the parcel in your closest locker. You just take the missed slip to the locker and you can use that to open it, with no account, etc. needed. Great setup.

You can create an account if you want and you can even set it so they never try first delivering to your home, instead delivering to a locker of your choice. They have literally thousands of these lockers in rail stations, which are very popular as people can pick up their packages on the way home.

Imagine, Connolly, Hueston, Pearse, Tara, etc. full of lockers like these, would be fantastic and make life much easier for An Post.

These lockers could also be great for rural towns where post offices are being closed. They would help maintain a level of service to those villages.

I'm excited to see what they do with these lockers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Is there a list of locations of these lockers available? and instructions on how to get a parcel delivered to a locker? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The article says they were only planning to contract the installation of lockers this month. Sounds like it will be another while before they are available.

The SBP reported on the lockers yesterday. I think they said that some of the lockers are already installed with more to come. Surprised that there is no reference to locations on the An Post website.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

There is a set of lockers outside the post office in Newbridge Kildare. They were added after the refurbishment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the locker I mentioned above has been in place outside my local package delivery office since last May. And yes it looks to be working now, as in the touch screen is working, with options to collect and send parcels.

However there is no indication of how to use it on the An Post website. So I assume they are either trialling it with a limited number of customers (maybe staff) or waiting for all sites to be installed before rolling it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

JeffK88 wrote: »
    There is a set of lockers outside the post office in Newbridge Kildare. They were added after the refurbishment.

Saw one in Galway yesterday, beside the old Bodkin Point restuarant.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I looked to see how it works but could find nothing online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭bren2001

There was one installed in DCU about 2 months ago. Nothing online about it nor does any information pop up when you play with the touch screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

AddressPal is a fantastic service by An Post. Delighted to see them going the next level.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I just got to use the locker, worked very well.

If you are getting an order from Amazon via An Post, you normally get a text the day before the delivery telling you that a delivery will be coming tomorrow and giving you the option to redirect the delivery.

Well now this redirection includes an option to have it sent to a locker. I did that and it arrived in the locker as expected and I then got a text when it a PIN code, that I simply entered in the locker screen to pop it up.

All easy pesy and no need for AddressPal and no extra charges to use it, nice.

Separately though, there are areas I feel they could improve on. Coincidentally I was having major issues getting another package delivered from Amazon via An Post, but from the Dublin 12 Parcel Hub, rather then my local delivery office which are great. 4 days in a row they claimed they had attempted delivery, but no one called, rang and no missed delivery letter. Cue me having to call customer support three days in a row and spending hours on hold.

Thing is, originally I had gotten the same redirect option text, but once it goes out for delivery, you can't use that link anymore. Surely it would have been easier for everyone involved, if after the first missed delivery, you get another text giving you the option to have it delivered to the locker instead of them just trying over and over again.

In Germany, they first try delivering to your home, if that fails, then they just immediately put it in the closest locker the same day, much better system overall IMO. Hopefully AP eventually do something similar.

Also about those redirection texts and links, if you click it the day of delivery, it just says you can't redirect now. Fair enough, but why not also include a link to the tracking for the package on that page? I think people will naturally go to this page from their texts if they want to see what is happening with the delivery. Instead you have to painfully copy and past the tracking page into a new separate page to do tracking. Painfull customer experience and it would be so trivial to add it.

• Advertisement

I just logged into AdressPal to check if you could select a locker rather then a Post Office, no luck on that yet, still seems to be just the post offices for now.

And LOL, the Google Map they use for displaying post office locations has a big "For Development Use" written all over it :rolleyes:

Do An Post have a webpage up on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bk wrote: »

And LOL, the Google Map they use for displaying post office locations has a big "For Development Use" written all over it :rolleyes:
    that's because google completely changed the way they charge for their api which means for a site that could get a lot of hits you could expose yourself to massive costs which is why people havent switched to the latest APIs

JTMan wrote: »
    Do An Post have a webpage up on this?

No, not that I can find.
    that's because google completely changed the way they charge for their api which means for a site that could get a lot of hits you could expose yourself to massive costs which is why people havent switched to the latest APIs

I know, but it looks very unprofessional.

It doesn't seem to impact the page where you can rearrange delivery, so I'd assume they just haven't gotten around to updating the AddressPal page yet or forgot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my last few Amazon deliveries I've received a text offering the opportunity to divert the package to an alternative address/day, to a locker or to a "safe place" (just leave it under the hedge bud...)

unfortunately the nearest locker is in Sandyford, I assume they're still rolling them out.

So I tried getting a second parcel sent to the locker last week and it turned into a bit of a disaster!

I redirected the parcel, but I got no text message after two days, I checked the tracking and it turned out that it had been in the locker since the day before. But since I got no text, I had no PIN to unlock the locker and get it out!

Fortunately one of the very nice guys in the parcel office was able to retrieve it from the parcel locker. He told me that there have been loads of issues with it and that parcels from Amazon weren't working properly with it. That the IT folks were working on it.

So it seems avoid it for now.

BTW There seems to be only 10 lockers in the whole country. 7 in the Dublin region, 5 inside the M50, non in Cork, etc. So it seems very early days for this. They will need a LOT more lockers then that.

Having said all this, I'm very glad they are doing this, I think it will be great service once issues are fixed, management options improved and more lockers rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

bk wrote: »

Twas the same deal with Dublin Bus for a good year or two until very very recently!

Question I have, and it's fairly much unanswerable at this point, is how Brexit is going to effect these cross-border systems.

Post-Brexit, we may have to start ordering from one of the Amazon EU sites, rather than the UK one, and I wish Amazon would be a bit more proactive about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Why would Amazon care where we buy from?
    There no need to only use the UK one

Worthwhile checking the other localised sites if buying anything expensive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

batistuta9 wrote: »

There is, because your Prime benefits only apply to the UK site when ordering in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

batistuta9 wrote: »

Worthwhile checking the other localised sites if buying anything expensive anyway.

Because if you order from the UK you'll have to pay import duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A friend works in an post.
    Expect hundreds of these lockers rolled out next year. Possibly also in a major supermarket chain.

MJohnston wrote: »
    There is, because your Prime benefits only apply to the UK site when ordering in Ireland.

They'll probably just stop promising 2 day delivery to Ireland.

You can sign up for any prime though I think, got offered a free trial from .de on black Friday

Because if you order from the UK you'll have to pay import duties.

Amazon hardly care, you but now from the US & pay your duties

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

Have an item delivered to a locker in Liffey Valley SC, does anyone know where exactly the lockers are? Can't seem to find any info on their website. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I got notified over the weekend of a delivery and decided to use this option. So, waiting to see what happens today now it's out for delivery. It's hard to find information about the service on the anpost website though*, which makes me wonder how solid it is. I've always had a concern that this type of service (incl. parcelmotel) would have problems at particularly busy times of the year. There's bound to be occasions when packages back up, waiting for spaces in the lockers to come available. They should have an option to collect at post offices/delivery centres during business hours and then have a number of lockers outside each of them. Post offices are the one advantage An Post has, and they don't seem to utilise them sufficiently imo.

* there's a link titled "Click and Collect" but it's dead ==> "Oops 404 We couldn't find the page you were looking for."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

plodder wrote: »
    They should have an option to collect at post offices/delivery centres during business hours and then have a number of lockers outside each of them. Post offices are the one advantage An Post has, and they don't seem to utilise them sufficiently imo.
    "

They do give you an option to collect at a post point (includes post offices)

They also announced a massive upgrade program for offices. The office in Newbridge has been upgraded and has a locker system outside.

New lidl in Kildare Town has a locker too.

plodder, once it reaches the locker, you should get a text message say that it is in the locker and giving you a PIN code to unlock the locker. If you don't get a text in a day or two, double check the tracking, it should show where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

MJohnston wrote: »
    Twas the same deal with Dublin Bus for a good year or two until very very recently!

Question I have, and it's fairly much unanswerable at this point, is how Brexit is going to effect these cross-border systems.

Post-Brexit, we may have to start ordering from one of the Amazon EU sites, rather than the UK one, and I wish Amazon would be a bit more proactive about this.

Looks like Amazon want to setup shop in Ireland (which will benefit us all massively):

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/amazon-seeking-first-warehouse-in-ireland-to-fulfil-orders-shipped-from-uk-1.4120153

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So to confirm there's no locker map at present?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    So to confirm there's no locker map at present?

When you get a text from An Post saying that you have a package coming, it has a link that allows you to change the delivery location to a post office or one of these lockers. This link has a map for you to select from. However this link only works per user/one off basis, so no general map to lock at, that I can find anyway.

When I looked at the map before Christmas, there was 10 lockers in the country.

Advertisement