Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know where you can get that hooded cloak Neil has? Looks class.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The one big ass crab I came across so far was handy enough if you fight it on horseback, same with the lanky dude with the sword on the same beach.

So I got my ass unexpectedly transported to an underground cave

Sellia Crystal Tunnel

which has some fairly tough enemies (I'm only 21). Made my way through them and picked up some nice items. Thought I was heading for the exit but nope it's a fricking boss:

Fallingstar Beast

Smashed me several times so 4k of my runes are stuck in there forever. Just ran in the other direction and of course that's the bloody exit. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Will check it out thanks, fashion souls trumps stats in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

done for the day after 10 hours aha. Overall truly just a real solid souls game with all the best stuff + new experience (not just open world), very enjoyable.

For example the Tree guardian you first met after the first bonefire - he is a very standard souls boss - and then the first real boss at Stormveil (for spoiler sake I'll keep it vague lol, the guy with 2 axes, G******), his move sets etc are like some souls final boss, that I didn't expect to see at this early stage of the game. From the entrance guardian ('first boss' aha) to the first real boss you could be at similar levels - I think if you don't do any extra leveling you will get wrecked so hard. I am at level 27 (main strength build around 30 str) when I beat him, took me like 10 tries ha. Definitely challenging designs so far I have seen for new or veteran players.

Jump attack is strong (especially with the talisman give you bonus on that). I'm done with using Axe after defeating G******, I'm dual wielding the Greatsword (that I found after I was teleported to hell at the beginning aha), I think I am comfy now ha (dealing 300 damage average).

• Advertisement

I'm finally back on track at Stormveil haivng gone down a serious rabbit hole to end up sinking a tonne of time in an area I had no hope of beating yet.

So many nooks in Stormveil, tough to keep a mental note of go back and check the other way etc. I laughed when I took some roof tops and saw what would have awaited me in large open area 🤣

Oh can anyone remember how sold bows? I meant to by it and forgot, handy to have for a few situations.

Had a go off Margit. Seems doable but after my first death and getting to roundtable, i wanted to see what else was in the working area. Found the transporting chest, absolutely legged it through multiple areas until i realised i could fast travel back to where i was l, phew.

It's a different feeling of other souls games where you would be on current same runs back to a boss after countless deaths where with this, you can venture off another direction and come back later, very refreshing.

Also, finally gave the tree sentinel a go, how bad could it be....... actually very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Played a tiny bit of bloodborne and sekiro but this is my 1st proper go of a soul's bourne game and so far not too bad , beat the 1st mini dungeon with the wolves easy enough , on the 2nd one now with the fire (no spoilers there if ya know ya know) and yeah finding it tough but not impossible, i did do some exploring and found some absolute monsters that i fear ever fighting 😂😂😂 but we'll see , tentatively enjoying it though

On PS5, getting some stutter when i move the camera around. Nothing too bad but definitely doesn't feel 60fps. Have performance mode on and game mode on the tv. Anyone else getting that?

Had a weird thing happen where button inputs were delayed or would press twice instead of once. Did not make for an easy go of things. Turned off the game and noticed the same thing on the ps5 menu. Turned off the controller and back on, fixed now. At least it wasn't the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Also playing performance mode. No stutter yet.

Had 2 niggles with my saves but so far so good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Performance is definitely ‘off’ on PS5 (and seemingly every platform to some degree). It’s just not a fully smooth 60 FPS - stands out a lot after playing something like Horizon which is rock solid performance wise. It’s not game ruining or anything here, but it falls short for sure.

I just watched a YouTube i follow Mad Matt Lugos (great watch as he plays mostly single player story driven games and isn't all shouty shouty), he said he is delaying his playthrough on pc until patched and showed a few minutes of gameplay. It would freeze for a few seconds at a time which is unplayable for most games, never mind a souls game

PS5 nowhere near that but I think getting it to 60fps will make a big difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That freezing is not happening for me thankfully.

Seems stable for me on series X in fps mode , the prioritize quality mode is fine in some places but borderline unplayable in others depending on what is going on. Nice you can switch it at will without restarting so you can see how it plays but leaving it in frame rate mode as the dip in visuals isn't at all severe.

If there was a boss in Stormville I missed it , I ended up running a bit of a gauntlet from ballistas and a big dog to a site of grace only to be faced with worse a dead end for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Itching to play this. Must finish forbidden west first. Find it hard jumping between 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Margit done this morning. What a class fight, took me a fair few times but really enjoyable.

Its great to have these classic souls fights but I’m really enjoying exploring the most. The world is packed with stuff, and its always worth doing. I think that’s going to be my afternoon, picking random directions to see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Played on pc with everything maxed (3080 ha) on our 65inch TV, going to try out widescreen mode (need to unlock with some method) later. I didn't really see much FPS drop except in open field when there are weather effects (most noticeable like when wind blowing) when I was fighting big enemy.

Overall graphic performance is acceptable, not ideal at times but honestly barely noticeable for most of the game play (I'm 14 hours in). The most beautiful souls game I have played and don't forget the whole aesthetic is part of the lore (bleak end of world vibe etc) - I think this is the top5 most graphically impressive (epic) game of this generation.

The details on objects and buildings are maxed out this time around but I think it is time From upgrades their engine as I have seen people comment on the graphics are 'dated' because technically that's true (same engine for years). So like watching YouTube videos don't do the game justice at all (usually streamers don't have max settings).

I think we will all get some more graphic patches soon, just watched some video as well saying actually ps5 is the actually the best optimized among consoles/pc hmm (and pc has the most issues) at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

Im at the 3rd boss Rennala queen of the moon, i had her down to one more hit and shes dead but she killed me . There is a way to cheese Godrick, anyone want to know pm me

Keep your filthy cheese to yourself and I'd rather not know the names of the bosses either. Use a spoiler tag FFS, the games not even out a week yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

Hence why I said PM me Dickhead

Oh sorry I must be seeing things there with the bosses name 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Calm down, please. No need to get aggressive.

Went down a certain well.

Holy ****.

Just got the achievement for activating a great rune, it was rare (less than 10% unlock) but the achievement for beating the boss I got it from wasn't, meaning people aren't activating it ?????

It's +5 to all stats when you pop a rune arc and this is why it pays to throw the sign down for jolly cooperation I haven't got one outside of killing bosses in co-op. Turns out the gauntlet I ran last night wasn't for nothing after all , I had a fast travel point by passing most of the carnage to get to the tower needed to do the job 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am one of these people I read the description and assumed that's where Grace was sending me, turns out it wasn't :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm loving this game. Beat the first mandatory boss yesterday and then spent hours helping others do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Played a few hours over the weekend, and trying to get used to the open world aspect (I'm not a fan of them) but I'm a huge fan over Souls games.

There are TONS of things to do and see and as usual I need to understand what I need to do. Reading the above I may go back to the dungeons to complete them as I found a couple but never stuck to the finish, just wandered then left.

I did find some for of boss late last night, I activated the battle by stepping into the centre of a large circle.. and was promptly taken to the cleaners by some knight who was kind of crawling... and the obligatory MASSIVE sword.

Great game and no real glitches so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Yeh I saw this MASSIVE bear, actually he was lying down and I walked into him... and the obvious happened. I did try and hide in the building area he was in but he "obviously" started smashing the walls....

Advertisement