Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah that's him. I lost to him several times mainly trying to recover my lost runes rather than from any real expectation I could beat him but having realised I couldn't transport out of the fight I had to leave the runes behind. There's just no way I could see myself beating him I mean I could I guess, I'm just not prepared to invest that level of effort and frustration. If I could have summoned my headless freak in it would have been easier but in the end I got some online co-op and beat him and then spent the evening trouncing him online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

He is tough aye, at that point I have like 13 flasks and the benefit of hp+str build, ye did him in 2 tries ha. I didn't have Mimic spirit at that time point, if i did it would be super easy i think. I am also very itchy to make a bleed build (since people are raging how OP it is (since DS3)) - apparently it helps on all bosses so well. ah so many ways to play this game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭McFly85

The sacrificial twig is handy in those scenarios! Or I think you can go in, grab the runes and quit the game. When you restart you’ll be outside the boss area with runes intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Picked up a weapon the other day, the Icerind hatchet and boy oh boy is it a lot of fun. It has that ashes of war 'Hoarfrost Stomp' which has a good area of effect, does frostbite damage and absolute wrecks enemies and bosses!

How do I get down below Stormveil castle? I can see there's 'something' down there and I want to kill it.

I beat a certain 'general' during the weekend which was by far the most difficult boss I've faced so far. Took me around 15 goes but I got there in the end. The visual design of that boss fight was unreal!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was fighting the dragon in the shallow lake, and had him down to literally 1 more hit, when a giant crab came out of nowhere and knocked me off my horse, allowing the dragon to kill me with fire.

Fuck you Fromsoft! 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Reminds me of this clip... 😁

I did not know that boss had such a move - awesome! No idea how anyone can use such a slow weapon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I usually went with heavy/strength weapons like that in previous games. So long as you time the first hit right or get the good opening, you can do huge damage in a few hits while staggering/interrupting enemies/bosses. But it can be a bit boring.

Beat the dragon on the next go, thankfully. Really love the mounted combat, and its a fantastic addition to the game.

Then I got trapped in a crystal cave, horrible place with the worst enemies i've come across so far.

Also met some giant bears, didn't end well.

I’ve gone for a strength build for the first time in a Souls game and I’m using a heavy 2 hander now that my stats allow it.

The mini bosses I’ve faced have been absolutely minced by it - the first time in a souls game I’ve found that just bashing the crap out of a boss is a viable strategy! On horseback too timing isn’t too bad and the damage you can deal is significant.

As Penn said though it can get fairly repetitive so I have other, lighter weapons if I choose to go at it a different way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think that's the same place I was 'sent' to.

It's a nightmare to get out of but when I did it was a real WTF moment.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm missing the big chunky hits from strength weapons, but using the Uchigatana there's a real satisfying POP out of an enemy when you've built up enough blood loss and they lose a big chunk of health.

Worst part is i spent ages going deeper, sneaking around trying to avoid everything, only to die and realise you can go the other way and get out pretty much straight away. Will definitely go back later to absolutely smash those bettle looking shitbags.

Does everyone focus on 1 weapon, or keep a few fairly well levelled? I've used almost exclusively the Uchigatana, though dabbled with the Hookclaws for the fast bleed and would like to try a spear once i get one.

I dont remember I went back to Stormveil later in the game but there is a small 'secret-ish' area with rats and a rats-tree-centipede boss down there if you haven't been. The access is like go via the garden part, jumping towards the wall and then follow the ledge - i went there because I saw a message plate over there ha. (sorry cant be more descriptive ha)

Not really worth the effort but a bit of lore there as after the boss i remember seeing that

weird disfigured face - supposedly something to do with Godwyn - i also saw one like that when i was going to one of the eternal city.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Thanks! When you say Garden, do you mean the part before you enter the castle, or where the boss fight is?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Making progress slowly but surely. First major boss in the Academy is down - some stunning visual design in that area.

Spent a while doing some jolly co-op in Stormveil as well to earn an extra level or two. The final boss there is much harder with two co-op partners (or one and the NPC) - just takes tonnes of hits to finally wear down. Much more manageable with just the one co-op partner, and the benefit of spirits.

I've been focusing on one weapon, also the Uchigatana. I also levelled up my staff a bit but got a better one that has a higher attribute requirement, so I want to wait until I can use it, and then I'll level it up.

It's hard to know how much to level up or how many resources to throw at a weapon because it's hard to know how plentiful those resources are or what new weapons you might find further down the line, so I'm trying to just stick to the Uchigatana for now.

before the boss ya, near the little pottie people area - go to the Secluded room/cell bonfire and come out and then look back at the wall (some wooden platforms i remember).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going for a sword and board dex build with faith spells as back up so the keen Uchigatana is the perfect fit for my build right now.

It has the unfortunate side effect of making me look like Elden Ring's biggest Weeb but it only heightens the comedy value when a weeb takes out a monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The ps5 version of Demons Souls has driven me Insane to the point I haven't touch it in months so I assume ill hate this right?

It's just getting so much attention so im wondering what im missing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Maybe not. Previous Souls games (well I only tried DS 3 and other Souls-like games) did that for me but I really enjoy this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

I have no clue how anyone is supposed to keep track of side quests in the game apart from manually writing notes. Got to an area last night and found I couldn't progress any further for no obvious reason. Had to Google it and seems I need to complete about 10 steps in a side quest to progress.

I can deal with the extreme obscurity I more linear Souls games but I really think it doesn't suit open world. Not looking for Ubisoft style of handholding but some indication of quests you obtained would be good to at least know what you've picked up. I think someone mentioned how Divinity did it earlier in the thread and would 100% agree with that. Divinity never held your hand but at least you could keep track of what you had picked up. Having to Google why you can't progress an area, or to find out how to progress a side quest is far more immersion breaking than a simple log.

Other than having no idea where to go next though I am enjoying the game for the most part but think we need some time apart.

I just feel like I wasted money on Demons Souls cause I can't get the hang of it so dont wanna make the same mistake again as I only get so much time to game these days I want to enjoy it! Haha

It depends on what's driving you insane with Demon's Souls. Most of the core gameplay and ideas is the same. Demon's Souls is like Elden Ring's grandfather. But there is clearly a lot Elden Ring has learned and how it's evolved from the ideas of Dark Souls, Bloodborne and even Sekiro too, as well as being the first open world one and the gameplay changes that come from it.

That said, I personally think it's easier to get into a Souls-type game on the second try rather than the first. You have a better idea on what the game mechanics and systems are from the start, and so you have a better idea on what to expect, how to proceed etc that you'll probably make a better start.

Maybe I need to go back to it AGAIN haha. Does the open world element make it a more playable somewhat forgiving game?

I found Souls very constricting at times that I was been forced into situations I couldn't get by so basically didn't have a game to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Maybe it's a bit more forgiving and also the open world allows you to leave before you get too frustrated and go somewhere else explore and level up and then come back for another serving of punishment and misery go :)

That sounds much better actually. At least there's room to improve and build experience on combat instead of just been screwed over and over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d ultimately say it’s the most ‘accessible’ of these games in terms of the freedom afforded, extra practice / levelling opportunities, and systems that let the player adjust the difficulty curve in their own terms. But there still will be tricky choke points and challenging moments for even experienced players.

I’d say it’s definitely worth a go for anyone genuinely curious, but if you really didn’t like previous Souls games you mightn’t get on with this either.

• Advertisement

Yes and no. As the game is open world, things are balanced in such a way that as the game doesn't know what level you'll be at, there's always something to do that will be at your level. But it doesn't tell you if you're capable of it, so if you're finding something too hard, leave and try somewhere else. Whereas in other Souls games, if you got stuck, you were mostly just stuck.

But it also means exploring as much as you can and doing everything you can means when you do continue on the main path which means you kinda leave the open world and are in a castle or something, you should be fairly strong and capable for the most part.

The thing to remember with Souls games is that death isn't always a failure, but rather it's an integral mechanic to the game. Say you die halfway between two areas and drop 5,000 souls. You should be strong enough and know what enemies are most dangerous or how to approach the area a second time that you'll earn 5,000 souls on the way back, and then pick up the 5,000 you lost, so even though you died the first time, you've actually doubled the souls you would have gotten by having to go through the area again. Yeah it sucks dying repeatedly and some deaths can feel really cheap and unfair, but learning from it and then getting past it can actually make you stronger and level up quicker than just getting through it the first time.

But if your time is limited, Elden Ring might not be the game for you because I've sunk 30 hours in so far and still feel like I'm only scratching the surface of a lot of things.

Advertisement