Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This looks absolutely brilliant

Oh I remember a trailer from maybe 2 years of an ICO/SotC like soulsbrone game who's name escapes me now???? Was likely a kickstarter affair, can anyone recall it's name or say if there was any update to it's progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sekiro was hard, but also manageable. Once you do break through that barrier of properly learning the rhythms of parrying and deflecting required, even the toughest of boss fights always feel like it's just about learning and practicing the boss' attacks and patterns. Some boss fights in other Soulsborne games can just feel like the boss is cheesing you.

Elden Ring definitely looks great. It almost feels like being able to summon the horse mid-fight and the movement of it might be something of a replacement for the movement and grappling hook of Sekiro, but with the combat being far more familiar Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Oh I remember a trailer from maybe 2 years of an ICO/SotC like soulsbrone game who's name escapes me now???? Was likely a kickstarter affair, can anyone recall it's name or say if there was any update to it's progress?

Praey for the Gods?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Praey for the Gods?

Thanks yes that's it. See it's early access on steam at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Markitron wrote: »
    Please don’t be as hard as Sekiro, I want to actually be able to play this

I can already see this thread headings towards a "they're hard/they're not hard" debate that has been done to death a thousand times already, so hopefully it won't go that way. But, I agree with you. This does look amazing, and the world looks intriguing, so I am 100% on board with exploring this world, but if it demands the time that the Souls game demand regarding the combat, then I won't get to experience much of it.

Will hold out for more info about difficulty, but as it's a From game, I don't think there'll be any difference. It'll be a shame if it's Souls-hard as minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I can already see this thread headings towards a "they're hard/they're not hard" debate that has been done to death a thousand times already, so hopefully it won't go that way. But, I agree with you. This does look amazing, and the world looks intriguing, so I am 100% on board with exploring this world, but if it demands the time that the Souls game demand regarding the combat, then I won't get to experience much of it.

Will hold out for more info about difficulty, but as it's a From game, I don't think there'll be any difference. It'll be a shame if it's Souls-hard as minimum.

I think the presence of co-op should make things a bit more manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Sekiro didn't have the totally optional easy mode aka summon help. There's pro's and con's to that I think. I'd call 3 nights on the same boss and having no option but to keep plugging away a bit of a wall at times.

Also why do youtube want my credit card or ID to watch that video ????

Alt link anyone?

EDIT: NM

Yeah I thought that was strange, verify credit card or upload ID to watch a youtube video?

Yeah I thought that was strange, verify credit card or upload ID to watch a youtube video?

Age restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

ELDEN RING Details

-Create your own character
    -Fromsoft's biggest game yet
    -Interconnected seamless open world
    -Day/Night cycle + dynamic weather system
    -NPCs in the world can help or hurt you
    -Smart Delivery on Series X or free upgrade on PS5

More: https://t.co/l1172iFNSs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Looks amazing...hopefully it will live up to its potential.

Also, I hope it is not watered down in difficultly to appeal the masses :pac: :D

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Looks amazing...hopefully it will live up to its potential.

Also, I hope it is not watered down in difficultly to appeal the masses :pac: :D

How about multiple difficulties? Why not appeal to more? It's a brand new world, looks like a lot of time and effort (and more importantly, money) put into it, I think they would be mad to continue alienating a huge amount of gamers. Attempted but not fully researched case in point:
    As of March 2015, Demon's Souls had sold an estimated 1.7 million copies, while as of June 2019, the Dark Souls series had sold over 25 million copies worldwide.

God of War: ...selling over five million copies within a month of its release and over 10 million by May 2019,.

That's 25 million, multiple games and many platforms over a long time vs 10 million, 1 game and on 1 platform in just over a year. Regardless of how die hard Souls fans are, those are some pretty damning numbers, and I'd imagine most of the reason is the difficulty. Adding lower difficulties, or settings won't remove the, ahem, soul from the games, it just opens the world and lore up to more people. Which is not a bad thing, no one can argue that.

A fine example is Dead Cells. I have played many, many hours of that game and I managed to get 2 boss cells. But it got to the stage where the difficulty was getting too frustrating to be enjoyable. But there are loads out there who can do 5BC runs, which I can categorically say I will never, ever manage, because the fun is lost at that stage imo. But I don't hold that against the game, even though the true ending requires a 5BC run, because it was made in such a way that nearly everyone could get some enjoyment out of it, and "finish" it.

How about multiple difficulties? Why not appeal to more? It's a brand new world, looks like a lot of time and effort (and more importantly, money) put into it, I think they would be mad to continue alienating a huge amount of gamers. Attempted but not fully researched case in point:

That's 25 million, multiple games and many platforms over a long time vs 10 million, 1 game and on 1 platform in just over a year. Regardless of how die hard Souls fans are, those are some pretty damning numbers, and I'd imagine most of the reason is the difficulty. Adding lower difficulties, or settings won't remove the, ahem, soul from the games, it just opens the world and lore up to more people. Which is not a bad thing, no one can argue that.

A fine example is Dead Cells. I have played many, many hours of that game and I managed to get 2 boss cells. But it got to the stage where the difficulty was getting too frustrating to be enjoyable. But there are loads out there who can do 5BC runs, which I can categorically say I will never, ever manage, because the fun is lost at that stage imo. But I don't hold that against the game, even though the true ending requires a 5BC run, because it was made in such a way that nearly everyone could get some enjoyment out of it, and "finish" it.

Probably not the thread for it, but the fact that you have no choice but to learn and adapt to the game mechanics is a big appeal for me with From games. Also, depending on the build you go with, it can make a difference to the difficulty.

GoW is a great game, but not challenging, except for some of the Valkyrie fights on the more difficult settings.

I can appreciate that the lack of flexibility will put some people off, but I am a sucker for punishment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sales have never been an indication of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There's gonna be some Anor Londo easter eggs around here...

or9umn002i471.png

Similar-ish towers...

anor_londo_sq.JPG

Fully expecting VaatiVidya videos on this by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Probably not the thread for it, but the fact that you have no choice but to learn and adapt to the game mechanics is a big appeal for me with From games. Also, depending on the build you go with, it can make a difference to the difficulty.

GoW is a great game, but not challenging, except for some of the Valkyrie fights on the more difficult settings.

I can appreciate that the lack of flexibility will put some people off, but I am a sucker for punishment.

Some people just prefer to be spoon fed their gaming experience, they get zero joy from a challenge and just want to wander around picking things up and smashing through enemies with ease. And thats fine if thats what you're into..

I'm just glad from software have no interest in catering to that type of mindless button mashing approach to gaming. And have the integrity to allow their developers to create and release a finely polished well crafted game.

Their games are hard at times yes, until you learn how to play them, then you will have a much more fun experience playing them and they wont be as much of a challenge and you can carry what you learned into all the sequels.

Those that complain about the difficulty level of the soulsborne games are usually the ones that didn't get passed the tutorial stages of the game because they didn't try to learn how to play and got pissed off the button mashing windmilling in approach to attacking they use in all other games didn't do the job.. :rolleyes:

I'll be getting this day one, probably the only remaining single player games from a company ill happy kick up full price for as i know i wont be disappointed and will get more than my monies worth :)

And that is exactly why we can't discuss that as a topic. Anyone against it, ahem;

- prefer to be spoon fed their gaming experience
    - get zero joy from a challenge
    - just want to wander around picking things up and smashing through enemies with ease
    - that type of mindless button mashing approach to gaming
    - usually the ones that didn't get passed the tutorial stages
    - they didn't try to learn how to play

In other words, a long winded "Git gud, scrub" reply, which is the go to for teh elitze who like Souls games. Because every other games combat is this button mashing affair. All of them. Every single one.

I'm gonna stop there as it'll go off topic, I do want to play this, I'm interested in it, it looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

If you’re stuck in a bit of a soulsborne game then do what you do with any game with RPG elements and spend some time levelling up. Most of them seem to have places with decent soul farming spots. There’s always something else to go and do too if one boss is annoying you.

This isn’t meant as a ‘git gud’ post, but I think these games with a lower difficulty option become somewhat pointless. The enjoyment is in the challenge. They all have immaculate control, and death never feels unfair. There’s a narrative but very little exposition driving the plot along so it’s not the type of thing where you want to get past a bit so you can see what happens next in the story. So if there was an option to make it easier from the start, yeah you’d probably get through it but the experience would be a little hollow.

It’s like complaining that there’s too many bullets in a bullet hell game. I wouldn’t expect a bullet hell game to be toned down to the point where I could get through it, because it misses the point entirely.

Back on topic, I wonder if this is more open world, because I would imagine that could make things easier by having a lot more scope for going off and doing other things to level your character until you can manage difficult bosses.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sales have never been an indication of quality.

Yeah Resident Evil 6 didn't sell near enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

really cant wait for Vaati to put videos up, dude has a clairvoyance for seeing the hidden meanings in these videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

nix wrote: »
    Some people just prefer to be spoon fed their gaming experience, they get zero joy from a challenge and just want to wander around picking things up and smashing through enemies with ease. And thats fine if thats what you're into..

I'm just glad from software have no interest in catering to that type of mindless button mashing approach to gaming. And have the integrity to allow their developers to create and release a finely polished well crafted game.

Their games are hard at times yes, until you learn how to play them, then you will have a much more fun experience playing them and they wont be as much of a challenge and you can carry what you learned into all the sequels.

Those that complain about the difficulty level of the soulsborne games are usually the ones that didn't get passed the tutorial stages of the game because they didn't try to learn how to play and got pissed off the button mashing windmilling in approach to attacking they use in all other games didn't do the job.. :rolleyes:

I'll be getting this day one, probably the only remaining single player games from a company ill happy kick up full price for as i know i wont be disappointed and will get more than my monies worth :)

I am more pro-FromSoftware style of game now that I've played more of them and gotten used to the style of game.

But they also tend to put in some sh*te mechanics in the games which aren't fun or even slightly enjoyable, and when they do, the whole "not wanting to be spoonfed" style becomes a hindrance. Things like Frenzy in Bloodborne, Curses in Dark Souls 3, Terror in Sekiro. Regardless of the difficulty of the game itself in terms of the general gameplay, these mechanics always suck major ass imo.

That's where I start to draw the line. There's a difference between a game being difficult and a game just trying to f*ck you for the hell of it. Yeah, you then have ways to counteract those things in a way, but until you figure those things out, for me the fun just instantly drains from the game. I'll take dying to a boss 30 times because he's kicking my ass over dying 3 times trying to get through Frenzy/Curse areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Penn wrote: »

That's where I start to draw the line. There's a difference between a game being difficult and a game just trying to f*ck you for the hell of it.
    I get what you're saying, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the more cruel parts of the souls series absolutely hilarious at times.
    The first time I got killed by a Mimic I was initially pretty pissed off which then melted into laughter. Similarly the first time I was killed by those things in Bloodborne that paralyze you and then suck your brains out. Gas stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that Fromsoftware have my permission to f*ck with me.

Anyways, I was initially disappointed when I watched the trailer for this as I think my phone was displaying in lower quality, and also I think Demons Souls PS5 has spoiled me in terms of graphics, but after a few viewings I am mad hyped for it. It looks class, with some great art design.

It's defo got some SOTC vibes and even some Dark Souls 2 vibes during the trailer (one bit reminded me of Majula, and there was an even a musical motif that was similar to the music of Majula in there).

Gameplay wise my main takeaway is that it looks like a DEX build is going to be fun to play in this. Sign me up!

Vicxas wrote: »
    really cant wait for Vaati to put videos up, dude has a clairvoyance for seeing the hidden meanings in these videos

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

This looks really cool actually, adding more soul to soulsbornes. While those previously had interetsing worlds they were mostly devoid of truly epic story beats, with GRM involved plugging that gap this could be truly something special.

[unavoidable soulsborne discussion] Soulsbornes do not require the skill that many act as if they do, a bit more than normal yes, some sort of god-like becnhmark? No. They are more about repetition and beating rock/paper/scissors into you than truly 'gitting gud', case in point being every major post about a new one usually begins with 'well for my FIRST playthrough I'm planning...'. If you like repetition and honing that well timed rock/paper/scissors response to a clearly telegraphed set of hyper-damaging attacks fine. It's why you see mostly the same folks being drawn to Rogue-likes. But ffs stop pretending it's more than that. [/unavoidable soulsborne discussion]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    This looks really cool actually, adding more soul to soulsbornes. While those previously had interetsing worlds they were mostly devoid of truly epic story beats, with GRM involved plugging that gap this could be truly something special.

[unavoidable soulsborne discussion] Soulsbornes do not require the skill that many act as if they do, a bit more than normal yes, some sort of god-like becnhmark? No. They are more about repetition and beating rock/paper/scissors into you than truly 'gitting gud', case in point being every major post about a new one usually begins with 'well for my FIRST playthrough I'm planning...'. If you like repetition and honing that well timed rock/paper/scissors response to a clearly telegraphed set of hyper-damaging attacks fine. It's why you see mostly the same folks being drawn to Rogue-likes. But ffs stop pretending it's more than that. [/unavoidable soulsborne discussion]

You're really understating how difficult and frustrating these games can be, especially for people who may be new to the series or only get to play games a few hours a week.

I see a lot of people stating the soulsborne series aren't difficult games, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they've played for hundreds of hours on multiple playthroughs of demon's Souls on the ps3, dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne and sekiro and finally demon's Souls on the ps5. All while using guides and watching other people's playthroughs.

Repeating and honing your skill is generally how you git gud at anything, having to do so does not mean that the task is not difficult.
    These games require a lot of time to master the basics, patience and quick reactions while harshly punishing mistakes which means the vast majority of people rightly consider it a difficult game, even by those who have mastered it.

There are several interviews with Miyazaki out today on various sites. People on reddit and Twitter have been collating the info, so this is a C&P from here;
    • six major areas that function as distinct dungeons, ruled by demigod characters (you don't have to follow an order)
    • hub confirmed
    • catacombs, castles, fortresses, mini dungeons etc.
    • confident that Elden Ring will arrive on its release date
    • character creator
    • multiple endings
    • much higher degree of freedom than before
    • optional bosses
    • Battle arts from DS3 return but are not fixed to a weapon (~100 techniques)
    • Spirits can be collected and equipped apparently (summons)
    • different types of spirits (use them for assaults, as decoy, for defense etc)
    • Spirits can be improved apparently
    • There are also rather useless spirits with other traits
    • multiplayer support during exploration on the open fields (but you are not able to ride your horses in multiplayer apparently)
    • ER is more "manageable" due to the many different options the player has but there are still many tough enemies
    • fall damage is low to keep explorers motivated
    • there is a world map
    • the actual dungeons do not have a map
    • crafting system with materials
    • Miyazaki guesses playtime is maybe at 30 hours "without too many side trips"
    • asynchrous multiplayer elements return; you can apparently set up groups (with friends for example) and give their messages/dead bodies etc. higher priority (keyword system, no limit on group size)

Really good summary of the IGN interview, credit to u/MysteriousBloke

Gameplay:
    • Jumping, riding horse
    • Summon spirits of fallen enemies as allies and tag along with them.
    • Stamina bar exists but with less influence
    • No resurrection, but other systems to keep you in the flow: Customize/craft "as you go", more healing options
    • Combine different skills (100 total) with different weapons, learn magic, more customization options.
    • Simple stealth implementation: crouch, hide in long grass, stealth attack
    • Online co-op

World structure:
    • Central hub that leads to 6 main areas in The Lands Between.
    • Each main area has a dungeon. Order to tackle them is up to the player, but there are some limitations. To help the player there is a mainline route to optionally follow.
    • Other catacombs, castles, and fortresses outside of the main dungeons are located in The Lands Between.
    • Fast travel for long distances.
    • Weapons/magic etc can be bought, but most are hidden in the open world.
    Story:
    • Player is nameless blank slate, but other characters have a lot of color/ulterior motives/mystery.
    • Player is a tarnished: they have lost the grace (golden aura) of the Elden Ring / Erdtree and exiled from The Lands Between.
    • Once the Elden Ring is broken, the tarnished are called back to The Lands Between. This includes the player character, as well as other characters.
    • The main bosses of the game are the 6 demigods ("ancient gods"). They hold various shards of the Elden Ring, inherit different powers, and have become corrupted.
    • Ease of understanding balanced with a lot of depth for players to uncover.
    What GRRM is credited with writing:
    • Foundation/mythos for the world.
    • The concept of the "tarnished".
    • Name of "The Lands Between".
    • The 6 demigods.

Miscellaneous:

Game development started with the world building due to GRRM involvement, and after that game systems were developed (opposite to the usual Miyazaki style).

Mimics won't return in their DS form, but there will be surprises

Miyazaki quote:

I imagine there's a lot that's difficult to imagine, difficult to grasp, but as far as I'm concerned, after my 10 years or so of directing games, this really feels like a culmination of everything that I've enjoyed about game development and everything I've brought to this point. I really, really hope that as a fan of the games, you'll enjoy it.

On behalf of the whole team at From, this is a compilation of everyone's passion here and everyone's dedication, so we just were really enthusiastic about this project and we can't wait for people to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sounds awesome! Interesting about it being 'more manageable due to more options'. Doesn't really sound like the will be difficulty options but sounds like it will a tad easier than Sekiro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like the megaman solution. If you find one area hard then try another area. Most souls games are like that although the later souls games have narrowed that focus recently.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Sounds awesome! Interesting about it being 'more manageable due to more options'. Doesn't really sound like the will be difficulty options but sounds like it will a tad easier than Sekiro.

Compared to the other games, Sekiro definitely gave you less options in terms of how to approach it.

The other games in the series definitely have more flexibility in, which sounds like it is the case here.

DS2 for example, adding a bow to your arsenal makes the Shrine of Amana much more manageable.

Really like what I am reading in those interviews though.

• Advertisement

Famitsu have published a big interview with Miyazaki, and someone on reddit has translated it;

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

Original Famitsu article.

Advertisement