Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Found my way in thanks and yeah that guard was a piece of piss. Mimic tear is a beast. Is the city as big as it looks?? Bigger than Stormveil Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Its absolutely huge yea, plenty of avenues to explore. Gave me serious Yharnam vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Those abductor enemies are so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

spent two hours on that first one trying get past it , only to be one shot by that boss too . all i could do was laugh 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

He's been nerfed he's a piece of pish in comparison to what he was

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It took two long evenings of play, but Malenia is finally down. Ended up summoning a lot (went through all my furling fingers and then some) and even then it’s an absolute bloody nightmare of a fight. Everything can turn to **** in an instant, particularly in that cursed second phase. There were rounds where myself and two others just powered through the first phase with nary a hit taken, and then just got crushed with one unlucky attack in the second. Not a single bit of remorse for summoning because the fight’s a nightmare and needs to be nerfed. Just glad it’s over tbh so I can get on to polishing the rest of the game off!

I did a small respec to get the Rivers of Blood katana and it was definitely the right move. I tried a few other strategies I saw online - like the Ranni Dark Moon and Comet Azur ones - but Rivers of Blood was the one that most consistently did reliable damage thanks to bleed build up. Dark Moon I probably would have got there with an hour or two of practice, but Mimic Tear is needed and just a tad too, well, stupid in phase two because of Malenia’s damn healing attacks. You’d manage to whittle her down to the last quarter health and before you know it she’s back to half health because she unleashed a flurry on the hapless mimic.

There was one try where I very, very nearly made it to the end with the help of one player who had an insanely OP hammer ashes (I assume) that completely knocked down Malenia, in both phases, if the hit connected. Whatever that was seems like the way to go, as that was the closest the fight came to being a ‘breeze’. Alas, I fell at the last quarter of her health that time :(

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also, online co-op is very annoying - seems very glitchy when initially summoning. Maybe outside Malenia’s arena is just a particularly busy spot, but if you don’t get to a summon sign immediately you get the ‘unable to summon’ message and that seems to break the whole thing for a minute or two. Lots of waiting around and pouncing on the gold summon sign when it finally pops up!

It isn't just that site, it was like that outside the final boss too. I tried to summon at least 50 times and every single time I got an immediate 'unable to summon' error. I don't think it is a glitch though, I think those are just really really busy spots and if you don't summon someone the femtosecond their sign appears, someone else nabs them.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree the spots are probably really really busy so you need to summon immediately. The glitchiness IMO tends to be if you do get one of those 'unable to summon' errors it seems to kinda mess up the whole system for a minute or two. You can't rest at a site of grace or exit the game for a while when it happens, for example, even if you undo the furling finger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think that's always been an issue with From games, I remember it happening in the previous ones as well where a failure to summon would mean waiting for the next refresh from the server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Bloodfang is OP. I'm pure melee so I can't help but use it. Loads of damage, bleed, I-frames on the weapon art.

In NG+ I might experiment more.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I just got Bloodfang last night, might have to try using it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That serpent in the Volcano Manor can eat many male testicles

As in the final boss of the area?

Use the weapon art of the weapon you find at the entrance and you'll finish it without taking a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yeah thats him

I can get it to phase 2 but then he spams bullsh*t and wipes me

I thought the same initially, but then I figured out the serpent spear weapon art just stun locks him and makes the fight probably the easiest in the game :) I did put a handful of somber smithing stones into upgrading it to make it even easier before realisng the weapon art worked so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If you have your Mimic Tear they should get a copy of the Serpent Sword (make it the only equipped weapon you go into the fight with). Best advice then is to try stay the opposite side of him to your Mimic, don't get too close (the serpent sword has huge reach so you don't need to be close to him), and try use charged attacks like the L2, and follow up with multiple hits. Your Mimic should be able to take enough aggro to allow you to get some charged attacks in and give you time to heal.

Also helps if you have a firedrake talisman or similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm kind of not minding Caelid since I went back to it at a level I can manage it at. Cleared out the scarlet rot lake and nearly cleared out Sellia. Probably won't get as much played tonight as Bake off is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Ok basic question here, playing a Samurai and around level 40 (ish) but one thing really bothering me is the speed my character moves, not primarily running or dodging etc... but when I take a hit and go down, its almost guaranteed that the antagonist is going to get another good smash in as I am SO SLOW getting up? My progress is going ok but sub boss fights are a pain as one hit and I'm down and as mentioned they'll definitely get another and from then on its a scramble.... Can anyone comment?

Heavy equip load with low poise?

• Advertisement

Oh right. For what it is worth I didn't get any of these glitches. Everything worked normally, I just couldn't summon (PS5).

I don't think Poise affects getting back up, though a low poise does mean getting knocked down more often. Either way if you get knocked down, just keep hammering the dodge button to try roll out of it rather than getting back up. But with bosses, a lot of them just attack so quickly and with their attacks having a wide spread, oftentimes being knocked down means you're going to be hit getting back up regardless.

This is more than likely your equip load. Check your stats and see if it says medium or heavy load. It needs to be under 70% to have a medium load. You can use talismans or increase your endurance to get you closer.

Load is medium but the poise is something I need to look at, what is the best way to improve this?

Yep, picked up a couple of talisman that are supposed to help, it was late last night so not had a chance to gauge the impact of them.

Armour. Your armour affects your poise, and generally the heavier armours have more poise, so you have to try balance weight into the equation too. Try a heavier chest piece with huge poise, then lighter arms, legs etc if you need to keep the weight down under Heavy Load.

There's a thread about the same thing here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t2gbfc/how_the_hell_do_you_stand_up_faster_after_being/

It just seems to be the standard in the game that if you're properly knocked down it's slow enough to get up. Can't say it's been an issue for me at any point though, and I've been medium equip load the whole way through (albeit with light mage armour).

If you haven't gotten it already, get the erdtree's favour talisman. Probably the best all round talisman for every class and can be gotten very early on - its a bit of a pain to get but if you just run for it you will be fine.

Any time I've been knocked down hard it's annoying and usually the enemy gets a sneaky hit in but it's always my own fault for taking a heavy hit or Torrent taking it.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm under no illusion that its not my fault, i just want to ensure I'm optimized... then I can ONLY blame myself

Advertisement