Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

What does he do? I've only met him once, in Atlus Plateau, pointing towards the windmill village.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

His was actually one of the NPC quests I didn't fully follow in my first playthrough. Brother Corhyn (the guy with the thing around his neck in the Roundtable Hold who teaches incantations) is a follower of Goldmask and can be found in Atlas Plateau looking for Goldmask. If you'd found him, you can tell Corhyn where he is and Corhyn will go praise Goldmask. Not fully sure what all happens after that as I didn't follow it, but it leads to one of the different endings of the game (same with Dung-Eater's quest and Fia's quest, you can choose different variances of the normal Elden Lord ending if you get the items at the end of their quests).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Brother Corbyn in roundtable hold should be looking for him, he's tied to his quest. You should be able to tell him you saw him. He should have moved from the hold at this stage to the road from the elevator in altus plateau.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished the consecrated Snowfield. So on to blood palace while I put off that Malenia fight as long as possible hoping for a patch.

Ah, gotcha, hes an npc I didnt interact with much, he did say he was going leaving alright, but it was so long ago, by the time I met goldmask, I didnt join the dots at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BTW Hyetta's quest is fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Goldmask and Corhyn is (another) tragic NPC quest aye - to me, they lead to the classic 'good ending' in video games. Definitely look up guide for instructions before killing the shardbearer at Leyndell.

(technically it is same as default ending but slightly better as it is 'fixing' the golden order - the world goes on under (perfect) golden order).

Along their quest (after they moved to the Leyndell colosseum from Atlus plateau bridge), we are actually revealed a critical information after following the shining message plate somewhere in Leyndell (near the mid boss area iirc).

Marika is Radagon - ya it is very confusing lol

In the end ya it is quite sad to see Corhyn and Goldmask like that - to me it was about 'everything is fcked anyway, cant find a real solution so we will stick to the one we know well, and maybe we can make it (slightly) better but technically we are still in the same sh!t hole'.

Seems like the issue was that NPC invaders don't spawn if you've beaten the main bosses in that region. I know because now the NPC invader in Limgrave wouldn't spawn for me last night.

Don't need any items from that one thankfully, but hope they fix that all the same. Seems like they've fixed it for the Revenger at least.

So ya the new patch: we get Patches slav squat, but my Rya is still nowhere to be found :( (but forgetfulness tonic pop up at Tanith seat for me).

Sorcery faster cast speed suddenly makes spells much nicer that i think it is necessary (really relief that I wasn't crazy to think that 'why it is so hard' in the past 2 months; different build suits different people so ya this is so nice). Wondering if i should replay colossal weapon in a new game lol

The new patch has made the secret 50-hit wall fully solid. Was apparently a glitch and was never intended to be able to break the wall, and should put rest to the idea that there'd be more hidden walls to be found after being hit multiple times (unless it turns out to be another glitched wall).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

just saw a video suggesting any boss with a second phase can be insta killed if you put a status affect on them. ANY Boss with a second phase........man I hope this is true

Allegedly a bug, courtesy of the patch

Might be true. I just killed mohg before he initiated his second phase but could have been the insane bleed I was putting on him. He just melted.

As for the haligtree.... The fat **** white robed motherfuckers can **** right off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mohg doesn’t have a cutscene transition IIRC. Going by what I saw earlier, a cutscene seems to be the trigger for the glitch.

It’s definitely also a boss where you can easily skip the second phase. I nearly one-shotted him with Comet Azur so killed him mid-transition to phase two.

I dont like to admit it, but last nights experience with Niall in castle sol, has me planning this evenings activities to include some crafting, and then sitting on a rampart shooting arrows into a hole.

what an absolute A-hole of a boss.

God I'm nearly looking forward to fighting Commander Niall on this new playthrough. Starting to feel cheated that I had almost no trouble with him first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

Finished this yesterday. Feeling sad today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭McFly85

With a STR build Niall was grand. I found it more difficult to start the fight with spirit ashes, instead used my greatsword to pummel the knights, then brought in my mimic to deal with Niall by himself, didn’t take long at all

Spent most of the day fighting Malenia.... Christ she is a pain in the arse. I mean even with the stupid bug that gets her back health she is manageable but her fecking anime flurry attack just got me every time. I had to look up how to dodge it. Once I managed to get that down it wasn't so bad.

Changed to rivers of blood katana afterwards to mess around.... seriously considering respeccing for this weapon. Even with only 20 in arcane it's outputting more damage and bleed than the uchigatana buffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Attack on Radahn...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Been sick the last week, and i can't bring myself to face constant death at the moment.

Looking forward to getting back into it at the weekend.

• Advertisement

I re-specced for Rivers of Blood. I really should have done so for Melania. The weapon is just insane. No need to keep blood flame buffed or seppuku, this weapon could damages it, has better bleed, the weapon art is insanely fast and has stupid reach. I'm making a mockery of crumbling Farum Azula. I should finally have this beat next week and get my life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,800 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wait til you try MOHGWYN'S SACRED SPEAR

Yes retro oh man, again not sure if i am just more used to melee playstyle - once i switched to bleed build (got both RoB Mohg spear +10) the game became so comfy (and i was helping people with melania pre 1.04).

And then once i finished the game - I was like ok well i kind of want to see how adula and astel comet deal with final boss so i respec back to int build - jesus christ, not effective at all and somehow i resort back to rock sling 😂 (to help out people on final boss). And then post 1.04 - i tested adula vs a couple of other carian sword spells - the carian greatsword is more cost effective than adula (adula is double the FP with bigger range) but still overall feels meh.

I might actually go back Arcane build with a bit on Str to allow me to go back to bleed build at ease plus also gonna try those buffed GS build (i am eyeing on that weapon from the shaded castle boss / bell bearing hunter weapon ha).

Just finished Raya Lucaria. Second time through the game, and I'm still finding new areas/secrets. Seeing an item on a ledge or finding a locked door and realising I never actually found out how to get them first time round.

Have also finally switched to a different weapon, the angel-winged scythe. It's alright so far, does decent damage. Just takes getting used to since I almost exclusively used katanas before (and both Uchigatana and Moonveil had an unsheathe-type weapon art).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

130 hours / 170 levels later and finally done. This was great fun from beginning to end and almost...almost... tempting me to go back and try DS2+3 again. From a production quality perspective graphically it's decent (mediocre tech massively bouyed up by beautiful design) but the audio is the real star here I think. The surround mix is fantastic, great voice acting and while I doubt I'd listen to it on it's own the soundtrack was always a perfect fit. The only real let down imho is the so called side quests for different characters. Being called quests for the majority is being way too generous. I think the only one I'd really give that label is Ranni's. The rest are just snippets of conversation from near random encounters with little consequence on the game beyond some end scene choices. But the world, dungeons and main quest were more than enough to compensate overall.

I spent the first 3rd of the game on a dex/str melee build with little focus on any specifics other than slowly building up some bleed for my basic Katanas. That changed right before Radahn luckily as I'd finally decided to try some incantations about an hour before, levelled up the Dragon seal and used those dragon hearts to buy some like rotten breath which of course turns out he's particularly weak to, made his fight a relative doddle (okay I'd seen his mid phase meteor attack on a WTF video so knew to be moving, but tbh it's a soulsbourne I think anyone should know that when it goes quiet you need to move as fast as you can). After that I focused more on arcane and bleed as it also had a very nice affinity with the dragon seal. My easy boss strategy for most of the rest of the game was let the Ash agro the boss, blast with rotten breath and then engage. For about 90% this led to first run passes, oddly I had more trouble with some of the side bosses like the Briar knight than typically hard mains like Radhan/Melania/Radagan (first phase, 2nd/Elden Beast did take 7/8 tries tbh) etc. Midway through I moved to the Blood Fang and then Eleonora's poleblade until I got Rivers of Blood of course, which was great until Moghwyn's Spear turned up and just made everything else redundant...that weapon is gloriously broken :) .

NG+ loaded up but I think I'll take a break and maybe play a new char in a year or so instead.

Malekith the knife

So I had my fill of Melania and decided to finish the game. This guy. He's like Melania except guarded by another fucjing boss. Eventually with a 1000 poison arrows and 12 unnecessary deaths I killed his door boss. How hard can he be? Very fking hard. Impossible, first phase was ok but 2econd phase I couldn't see him half the time and was trying to dodge him by sound. I actually gave up, dangled my feet off the bridge spitting into the tornado and then I realised my black knife tiche was +9.

Onto google "great ghost glovewart" ....found it. Back to the bridge.

I mean I died to this guy hundreds of times so I hope my neighbours appreciate my screaming was important.

Yeah I did those 2 nights ago, the pain is still fresh :) . The door knight I think took 6 or 7 tries for me with the restricted space and his upfront blitzkrieg. The main thing I found with him was getting his fireball sequence down, once they were out of the way I had a few seconds of in your face slashy slashy time that was enough to wear him down (but tbh I think I also got lucky with a stagger on the final fight) vs. Malekith himself taking only 2 runs since there was more space to maneuver (and the summoning of my beloved mini-me). He was the first boss I switched to Moghwyns spear and it made it relatively trivial since the first round was learning to avoid his attacks (and failing...) and the next was just L2 at the right time and clearing the room with the spear. I found Crumbling Farum Azula to be one of my least favourite zones and it nearly put me off going back to Melania's Haligtree as I'd opened it up around the same time, I'm glad it didn't since I loved the Haligtree zone. It's hard to say why but Azula felt like more of a slog but the tree was more interesting, I think also the buildup for Melania played into that too. She took 4 runs and was just more interesting to strategise for imho than Malekith, much more enjoyable, L2+clear didn't cut it.

It's interesting you mention having the Black Knife Tiche at this point. I didn't. I had insane trouble with Alecto on my first run through the Moonlight Altar, I think I gave up after 10 runs with her so had stuck with my +10 mimic tear. I only went back and cleared her Gaol last night before heading to the finale and it took me another 10 runs to clear. Like I mentioned last I had more trouble with some of the side bosses than the main, she just kept kicking my ass/build until I remembered my lessons from the Briar Knight - you can't bleed, outroll and maneuver everything sometimes facetanking is the better option. With the Briar Knight that meant simply switching back from dual katanas at the time to a Shield and one, then he was a piece of cake. With Alecto it was to lay off trying status and special attacks or even thinking about out maneuvering her but I just kept whacking her with simple R1 attacks from the spear and taking her hits in turn, only dodging that BS bleed whirlwind she did. Simple and in-elegant but it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

some feeling beating godrick. should i head north after that ?

"First off, Well done!" :) . You have the most freedom in the game at this point. If you haven't you could finish out Limgrave and The Weeping Peninsula (which is really just there as an XP source). Then try NW to Liurnia. There's a pretty good per-level guide at https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Recommended+Level+by+Location , it's by no means strict as I roughly followed it but also jumped to key points in upper levels when there was something I really wanted. Don't be afraid to alternate zones. This is not a linear RPG and you can wander off a path and be in an area orders of magnitude higher level than you, tactically sometimes that's fun and worth the risk but strategically not.

• Advertisement

they really have made the game accessible for all. if you look at the bosses they gave all the hard ones an easy out. Rykard - the sword by the door, Margit - the shackle, Malekith - Black knife Tiche, Commander Niall - his window, Melania.............. godamn them

Advertisement