Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gandon Park Lucan

Options
  • 21-05-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Guys

I booked the house in Gandon Park phase-1. When i see the Adamstown Masterplan then i realised this area is going to be very crowded over the 5 years.

What are you suggestion? Do you think its a good deal?

If you have also booked then please let me know the unit you booked. May be we are the neighbours :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm saying nothing for fear of one of the mods dishing out a paddling. Take a look at the Shackleton thread for info on the area, may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

I actually grew up in Lucan and I'll say this for the place. I lived 5 minutes from Lucan village and the village itself is really nice. I always liked the fact that there was still a small town feel to the place and yet it was only a 20 minute spin into the city for a night out. Not a chance I would buy up in one of the new estates in Adamstown though. It's just too far away from everything. It's a 40 minute walk if you want to go to the pub or for dinner in the village. Have you thought about your commute? It's a walk to the bus at Supervalu and even worse to the train. I haven't lived in the area for a while but the buses used to be packed and if you're driving the area was gridlocked from early in the morning. I doubt it's improved the last few years.

And by the way I'm old enough to remember the original Adamstown masterplan. Most of the houses got built back then, almost none of the infrastructure did. Be very wary of promises of schools and the like coming anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jesky25

@IAmTheReign - Thanks for your reply, i agree with you Gandon Park location is good in terms of near to New Castle road and close to N4. I have seem Luas extension plan is also there for Adamstown.

In terms of commute i am thinking of using train to city centre via adamstown and probably drop my car at the station.
    I have heard St Thomas and Scoil Mhuire National School are very good schools.

Jesky25 wrote: »
    @IAmTheReign - Thanks for your reply, i agree with you Gandon Park location is good in terms of near to New Castle road and close to N4. I have seem Luas extension plan is also there for Adamstown.

In terms of commute i am thinking of using train to city centre via adamstown and probably drop my car at the station.
    I have heard St Thomas and Scoil Mhuire National School are very good schools.

I had friends who went to both St Thomas and Scoil Mhuire and they seemed decent schools but they would have finished 20 years ago so I can't comment on what they're like now.

I'd be more concerned about places in those schools though. There's a lot of extra houses going in and those schools were full when I was a kid. I think they built a primary school in Adamstown a few years ago but is it at capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

I have lived in Lucan my whole life and let me tell you, you wont be going anywhere quick in a car. It took me 30 minutes to get from Adamstown onto the N4 this morning at 7:30am on the bus, the traffic on the Newcastle road is chronic and is only getting worse. The new houses in Somerton are currently being finished so all of that traffic will be using the road along with another development across from Finnstown House. No additional roads are being built, it is dire.

St Thomas and St Annes are nice schools but again its a problem of places with all the new houses and no new schools. There is both a primary and secondary school up in Adamstown but i don't know their capacity either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I have lived in Lucan my whole life and let me tell you, you wont be going anywhere quick in a car. It took me 30 minutes to get from Adamstown onto the N4 this morning at 7:30am on the bus, the traffic on the Newcastle road is chronic and is only getting worse. The new houses in Somerton are currently being finished so all of that traffic will be using the road along with another development across from Finnstown House. No additional roads are being built, it is dire.

St Thomas and St Annes are nice schools but again its a problem of places with all the new houses and no new schools. There is both a primary and secondary school up in Adamstown but i don't know their capacity either.
    THis!!!

Its been amazing to see how bad the traffic has gotten in the last few years. also dont forget that there will be additional traffic from Clonburis using the r120. Theirs no options on most of the roads to add any bus lanes.

That makes me worry :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yes poor planning again no infrastructure traffic is even backed up at weekends now thanks to Adamstown it's a joke, as others have said it's not going to get any better just worse
    re schools there are primary and secondary schools in Adamstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

The Newcastle Road traffic was chronic when I lived in the area 2 years ago. This was before the current wave of development, so it can only get worse.

I would strongly advise to try out your commute a few times before committing. This is something I did not do and was very blinkered moving into the area thinking everything would be fine. It's quite far out of the city, so you really need to make sure it will work for you.

The Gandon Park development is built on land that was intended for later phases of the Paddocks estate, so the houses are completely different to what was built there over 10 years ago. I think the area will look very disjointed as a result.

There are also major parking issues in the older part of the estate, so I would check this out. I think all the new houses have 2 parking spots which is great. The original estate only had 1.5 per dwelling or less, so be prepared for cars parked everywhere.

The older residents will resentful too, I know I would be. They have put up with a lot of crap over the years, from trying to get the estate finished during and after the recession, to newer houses being built by different builders with no regard for those already living there.

Proximity to Lucan village is ok. You can walk down to Tesco in Dodsboro, across the pedestrian bring into the village, but it's still a good 15 min. A taxi back would be approx 7 euro.

Being close to Supervalu is handy for shopping in the evenings/weekends. But getting in and out of it during the day or near rush hour is a real pain in the a*s.

Two nice parks are in walking distance. Lucan Demesne/St. Catherine's & Griffeen Valley. Both very nice.

I live in a Cairn home, so can tell you the house will be well built and cheap to run. I would recommend the houses.

However, if I was buying in the area again, I would try and get something in a settled estate the other side of the N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭sheriff2

The train in and out of Adamstown during rush hour is already becoming overcrowded and you can see it slowly getting worse. You will be lucky to still get parking at the station by the time you move in (unless they increase the parking)

Driving is a joke and will obviously get worse, if i drive to work i leave before 7am, otherwise traffic is a nightmare. Gandon development look nice, but i feel your in no mans land in regards to public transport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Radsky

sheriff2 wrote: »

Driving is a joke and will obviously get worse, if i drive to work i leave before 7am, otherwise traffic is a nightmare. Gandon development look nice, but i feel your in no mans land in regards to public transport!

How about avoiding newcastle road by going thru dodsboro to get into n4? Is that route still a nightmare?

The 25 bus stop is also near this development right?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

Radsky wrote: »
    How about avoiding newcastle road by going thru dodsboro to get into n4? Is that route still a nightmare?

you have to go up by the Spa hotel, cross the bridge and then back onto the N4, traffic on the N4 is backed up most days also so it wouldn't be of any benefit.

The 25 bus goes through the village, i don't know what the traffic is like in the village in the morning but i can't imagine that it is moving freely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

you have to go up by the Spa hotel, cross the bridge and then back onto the N4, traffic on the N4 is backed up most days also so it wouldn't be of any benefit.

The 25 bus goes through the village, i don't know what the traffic is like in the village in the morning but i can't imagine that it is moving freely.

Its ok until about 7.45AM- thereafter its backed up the whole way from the Garda station- to the other side of the bridge at the bottom of Laraghcon. If its a wet morning- its often backed up the whole way to the Leixlip slip.

If you can get through the village before 7.45AM'ish- you're fine- otherwise, your best bet is to avoid the village altogether, double back into Leixlip and up and around Captain's Hill.

I live on the bridge in Lucan village btw- and grew up in Lucan village. The traffic is completely and utterly unreal- I'd seriously suggest you try it for a few mornings- just to see what I'm talking about.

Its the exact same in the evening- however, its worse from Chapel Hill direction- than from either Strawberry Beds- or Main Street Lucan.

The place has been destroyed by traffic :(

Thanks guys for your valuable suggestions/advice, this evening i went to the the lucan. I started from central park -> M50 -> N4 -> exit 4 -> New Castle Road.

I was in that area for around 2 hours and trust me the only traffic which i can say bothered me was M50 and rest was acceptable. It was a slow traffic which is everywhere i guess.

Spoke to one of the fellow who take 25B to Merrion Sq and he said it takes him 1 hour everyday. Since i work in city centre, i can get down at Bachlor's walk which is 7 mins walk to my office.

There is a new road construction in progress right beside Shackleton park which shrink the adamstown train station distance to 1.2 km.

One thing which @Col_30
    The Gandon Park development is built on land that was intended for later phases of the Paddocks estate, so the houses are completely different to what was built there over 10 years ago. I think the area will look very disjointed as a result.
    I specifically went to Paddocks way and it looks very mature estate but lots of cars were park right adjacent to gandon-paddocks fencing and i also agree with the point the area will looks bit disjoint.

I will go again this saturday/sunday and take the final call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thanks guys for your valuable suggestions/advice, this evening i went to the the lucan. I started from central park -> M50 -> N4 -> exit 4 -> New Castle Road.

I was in that area for around 2 hours and trust me the only traffic which i can say bothered me was M50 and rest was acceptable. It was a slow traffic which is everywhere i guess.

Spoke to one of the fellow who take 25B to Merrion Sq and he said it takes him 1 hour everyday. Since i work in city centre, i can get down at Bachlor's walk which is 7 mins walk to my office.

There is a new road construction in progress right beside Shackleton park which shrink the adamstown train station distance to 1.2 km.

One thing which @Col_30
    I specifically went to Paddocks way and it looks very mature estate but lots of cars were park right adjacent to gandon-paddocks fencing and i also agree with the point the area will looks bit disjoint.

Once you get off the n4 traffic isn’t a problem going towards Adamstown.its the other way that’s the issue.id try be around at some peak times if possible ie always heavily backed up 4-4.30 onwards.

Radsky wrote: »

The 25 stop in Dodsboro is walking distance but the 25 doesn't run very often and goes through Lucan village which can be pretty busy in the mornings. Could take 20-30 minutes just to get onto the N4 at Woodies.

You're best bet would be to try the different options yourself a few times and get a feel for how long the journey would be.

A lot of negativity here. A lot justified, but there also should be balance. The Lucan swimming pool will finally get going this summer. Adamstown SDZ is now approaching Phase IV which means SDCC are kicking off the process of upgrades to the Newcastle Road. The Cellbridge Link road is being built. Bus connectivity will improve from a plain vanilla Lucan to the City, to transport within Lucan, Tallaght, Clondalkin etc. Lucan is also competing with Blanch to be the first route Bus Connects deals with. Public transport will improve, and the residents of Lucan were getting away with murder for years with the low level of densification out there which will now end.

There won't be any new trains until 2022 at a minimum though. The unions dip their fingers into any money allocated, which reduces the pot, plus the procurement process is lengthy.

The Newcastle road is an example of why people need to get out of their cars. When the kids are off school the traffic is much better. It's congested at the weekend again because people are in their cars who don't need to be. It's a cultural thing and I don't buy any other excuse. If you were to add lanes (which there isn't space for) then you are just inducing demand rather than using congestion. The only way to make people hear the message is tolls. The traffic will magically disappear then, and not all into rat runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Use Google maps to check journey time change leave time to different times in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭audi5

One thing which @Col_30

Nothing beats your own due diligence, well done.

I do this commute via train - its 45 mins door to door but I drive to the station. Many take 25X, which should get you to Bachelors walk in approx 40 mins. Its 2 mins walk from Gandon park/Paddocks but there are only 3 X buses in the morning - check dublinbus.ie to see if 25/25X times suit you.

Road network is being improved - check sdcc.ie for roads under planning permission.

I am going for the viewing today, will post if something noticeable comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ND19

I've also secured a house in Gandon Park Phase 1! Would anyone be interested in creating a residents Facebook group or something? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ND19 wrote: »
    I've also secured a house in Gandon Park Phase 1! Would anyone be interested in creating a residents Facebook group or something? :)

If you're doing this- be careful- the developer is a bit touchy about purchasers setting up groups like this.

Let’s create a group as I have also booked in Gandon park phase 1.

Has anyone know Cairn will be building the apartments blocks (3 to 4) right at the entrance. I asked will there be any social housing and they said there is a 10%rule so it might be. I am not sure what impact it will put on the house resale down the line.

Has anyone know Cairn will be building the apartments blocks (3 to 4) right at the entrance. I asked will there be any social housing and they said there is a 10%rule so it might be. I am not sure what impact it will put on the house resale down the line.

The very vast majority of it will be social housing, and there is nothing necessarily wrong with that so don't be put off. That area of Dublin is ethnically and culturally diverse, and has a mix of socioconomic groupings and income profiles. The houses are at an accessible price point too.

The social houses are marked out on the planning, but ignore it as they changed it afterwards. Speak with local councilors, inspect the choice based letting pipeline records, and call SDCC. The councilors regularly ask the Council what's the story with the social housing, and the council tell them how many units they are waiting to be delivered, unit type, and scheme. You can see them appearing on the choice based letting records too.

There are 48 apartments for social housing across the way in Shackleton, and more in Gandon, more in the DRES development, and more in the Castlethorn development. 10% is the requirement, but these developers are meeting the 10% requirement they have at other sites by supplying properties in Lucan.

It's all good vibes, albeit I wouldn't have went for a concentration of units in the one block in Shackleton but look that's the deal that was done. Nothing sinister here.

This developer at Gandon is definitely monitoring this thread, 100%, and they are sensitive to anything negative. Talk to your local representative about pre-planning on neighbouring sites to Gandon also, couple of interesting take aways but I'll say no more as there's always a risk of mods dishing out a paddling.

Wish everyone the best with houses out there and really hope the place does well for everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

myshirt wrote: »
    This developer at Gandon is definitely monitoring this thread, 100%, and they are sensitive to anything negative. Talk to your local representative about pre-planning on neighbouring sites to Gandon also, couple of interesting take aways but I'll say no more as there's always a risk of mods dishing out a paddling.

Mod Note

To be clear, the mod team here are all volunteers drawn from long-term regular posters. As such we have no pay cheques to protect and no commercial interests to pander to.

If a company ever asked for posts to be removed/edited/deleted they would be referred to Boards HQ. To the best of my knowledge, this has never happened in A & P.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

myshirt wrote: »

There are 48 apartments for social housing across the way in Shackleton, and more in Gandon, more in the DRES development, and more in the Castlethorn development. 10% is the requirement, but these developers are meeting the 10% requirement they have at other sites by supplying properties in Lucan.

It's all good vibes, albeit I wouldn't have went for a concentration of units in the one block in Shackleton but look that's the deal that was done. Nothing sinister here.

You’re correct that this developer is meeting the 10% requirement that they need to meet in other sites including a particular site they have in the South Side by putting a lot of Part v units in this development in Lucan. I was shocked when I found out they could do this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

You’re correct that this developer is meeting the 10% requirement that they need to meet in other sites including a particular site they have in the South Side by putting a lot of Part v units in this development in Lucan. I was shocked when I found out they could do this!!

That's a bit crazy, I thought each individual site needed to include the social housing within it?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭sheriff2

Regarding the social housing, the developer can do a deal with the local councils.

As far as I know local councils have a limit on what they can spend on a unit (below article mentions it). So if the councils threshold for a 3 bed house is 450k, they literally cant afford to buy into some schemes. Think Castlethorn - they have homesin Foxrock, id be certain their allocation of social housing ends up in Adamstown. Also new apartments in the docklands are listed at €850k so developer does a deal and builds an apartment block in another area for the councils

https://www.herald.ie/news/council-seeks-more-cash-to-buy-social-housing-in-the-pricier-parts-of-city-37794713.html

• Advertisement

sheriff2 wrote: »
    Regarding the social housing, the developer can do a deal with the local councils.

As far as I know local councils have a limit on what they can spend on a unit (below article mentions it). So if the councils threshold for a 3 bed house is 450k, they literally cant afford to buy into some schemes. Think Castlethorn - they have homesin Foxrock, id be certain their allocation of social housing ends up in Adamstown. Also new apartments in the docklands are listed at €850k so developer does a deal and builds an apartment block in another area for the councils

https://www.herald.ie/news/council-seeks-more-cash-to-buy-social-housing-in-the-pricier-parts-of-city-37794713.html

Correct.

There is also a requirement with the area (and wider Adamstown SDZ plan) that sites be provided for traveller accommodation. It's cheaper for the Council to do anyy out that side given the accessible prices these units and the land are being sold for.

Advertisement