Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband, north county Galway

• 22-05-2019 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi,

I should soon be moving to a house in North County Galway. The house is not included in Eir's FTTH scheme.

Trying to decide whether to go with mobile broadband with someone like Eir or Vodafone or would it be worth getting dsl? My logic in thinking dsl is whether or not the line would be freed up by most other households moving to FTTH. Eir's mobile broadband coverage map shows good coverage for 4g for the house.

I also checked on Imagine's website to see if I was eligible for their LTE service but no such luck!

Has anyone been faced with a similar scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What’s the speed available at the house through the phone line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have you looked into Three? Seen an ad lately where they are claiming to connect an offshore island with speeds comparable to Manhatten Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What’s the speed available at the house through the phone line?

Don't know. In the process of purchasing the house so have never lived in it. My parents live in the same area and they get 1 megabit per second but have been told they could be able to get 10 Megabits per second. Their house is closer to the local exchange also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

I'd advise against 3 Mobile Broadband, abysmal at peak times when you want to be using it - but if Mobile BB is the only option they do seem to have the best offers. Also worth checking out if Airwire might be an option, they seem to be good, will likely go through them ourselves for getting the Fibre connected

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Lightnet are another option for a wireless connection. I've been with them for nearly two years and it's mostly been fine. I believe they still operate a policy of throttling your connection speed if you use it heavily over an extended period but I haven't been hindered by that at any point. Just to be on the safe side I wait until late before starting a game download if it's particularly large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't know. In the process of purchasing the house so have never lived in it. My parents live in the same area and they get 1 megabit per second but have been told they could be able to get 10 Megabits per second. Their house is closer to the local exchange also.

Maybe broadband isnt important to you but for me thats like purchasing without an engineers report or a solicitor involved. Crazy talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

ED E wrote: »
    Maybe broadband isnt important to you but for me thats like purchasing without an engineers report or a solicitor involved. Crazy talk.

Well I'm a Software Engineer so it is important for the possibility of working from home but not the most important thing in life.

Also the FTTH boxes are up about 100 metres down the road and 100 metres up the road so I'm hoping EIR or the national broadband plan if it gets going will close the loop eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭jkforde

Try Lightnet, found them good and their support is solid. Local company too.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I'm in north Co. Galway and Imagine are available locally, they're not particularly cheap though.

eir 4G is good but max cap you can get is 50GB per month which is tiny. Three is useless at peak times, unusablely bad at times.

You best bet is airwire: https://www.airwire.ie/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Frank1e

Hi,

I should soon be moving to a house in North County Galway. The house is not included in Eir's FTTH scheme.

Trying to decide whether to go with mobile broadband with someone like Eir or Vodafone or would it be worth getting dsl? My logic in thinking dsl is whether or not the line would be freed up by most other households moving to FTTH. Eir's mobile broadband coverage map shows good coverage for 4g for the house.

I also checked on Imagine's website to see if I was eligible for their LTE service but no such luck!

Has anyone been faced with a similar scenario?

I've heard of people availing of satellite broadband for this kind of issue. Magna iServices are an Irish Company who can sort you out on this, Google their name and satellite broadband - I'm sure you'll come across them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

I've used Vodafone landline in the first year after moving north Galway but speeds were max 3Mb at best then dropped to 1.5 and never gone above. Moved to Vodafone mobile broadband. There was an improvement until about 18month ago and then speeds dropped but it's still usable. Can download large files overnight no problem, can play a bit online and netflix is working no problem all the time. Money to data allowance - Voda mobile is the best deal to this day. I don't even consider Imagine because their mast is too far away.

Advertisement