Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have MS and wonder if I should try working

Options
  • 22-05-2019 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Greetings boards members,

This I hope is the correct forum for my query. Given the time, I have perhaps selected correctly.

As a person with MS (pwMS), I am afforded a selection of state benefits. These include DA (disability allowance) of €203, a full medical card, discount prescriptions on anything I ask my GP for, a free travel pass to get me anywhere in the country that busses go to and a blue parking sticker for the car.

To clarify the nature of my condition because some of you may know of the breadth and variability MS encompasses, mine is largely psychological and emotional. Not much in the way of physical symptoms beyond mild speech impairment, neuromuscular fatigue and balance issues.

The question then is "should I work for a living?". Quantitatively, the simple answer is yes. Work very obviously brings in more money that DA. However, once we begin to consider the qualitative factors, things for me at least begin to get a bit hazy.

Qualitative factors to consider:
    • Stress worsens MS. Work causes stress. See also the nature of my condition as mentioned.
    • Fatigue is often cited as the number 1
    • Not working affords me far less stress and more free time to pursue my passions (e.g. woodturning, courses, archery etc.).
    • I have time to help my friends and family with my IT knowhow should they hit any technological snags.
    • I also have time to help others in my community and around the world, scanning forums and leaving helpful posts about medications and MS management techniques. In the years since my diagnosis, I have done more good than harm.
    • I am very much an introvert. Social scenes and work situations leave me drained
    Now I will of course accept that I am rationalising here, and fully accept this. The greatest incentive to work then is that it offers things that DA cannot, even though DA certainly offers the time to pursue. Jordan Peterson spoke of Peter Pan. Sounds about right to me. Why would you leave Neverland if there you could always fly? Even if you knew you were dreaming?

The question is asked now because of chronological circumstances. I was on POF, and an exceedingly forward woman (one presumes, may have been a cat, you just never know with online dating) happened to message me with a sense of umbridge that I had looked at her profile and not sent her a message. A conversation developed and I realised a stark reality of life. Certainly I can marry, but how would I support a wife and family? I feels it's generally agreed that all viable situations these days see both halves of every couple working.

It's the enormity of it all that usually gets me. People take jobs that shade them from the glare of knowing they haven't chosen most of what they could become, given the nature of their almost limitless potential. Circumstance does not afford such grandiose opportunity of course. The enormity of everything I could yet become, even late in life, is dumbfounding. Colonel Sanders of KFC was an octogenarian before he saw success. So still plenty of time so long as you're willing to keep going. I would not want to seem shackled to a job I don't want. But then I'm beginning to ramble a bit.

TL;DR: Should I work or stay in the welfare trap?

Comments

If you strive to work, then there should be no barriers placed in your way. Whatever the choice, I wish you every contentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Hi, you might be better off posting in the Long Term Illness forum as many users who posts there will have faced a similar dilemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Give it a try.
    If it doesn't work out then you will have learned from the experience.
    But it might just work out very well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Have a go OP, it might make you happier in the long term. If it doesn't work out, have some savings stashed as your return to welfare will most likely take a while to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Hi, you might be better off posting in the Long Term Illness forum as many users who posts there will have faced a similar dilemma.

Good point - can admins move threads or should I repost there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement