Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carole Nash €10 renewal flyer

Options
  • 22-05-2019 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I had a GSX-R 1000 insured with AON for €580 full comp, swapped it to a S1000RR.
    AON wanted €770 to renew it, I tried Carole Nash €950. Tried Principal and renewed for €580.
    This year my renewal was €410 with Principal.
    I got a flyer from Carole Nash "If we can't beat your renewal we'll give you €10", so I contacted them and they wanted €810.... I asked for my €10 and they reduced to €535.
    I again asked for my €10 and was asked to send in my renewal quote, I did. They wanted my no claims cert, I sent in everything they asked for, now they stopped responding to my emails.
    A work mate is with CN and they offered free DNA+ protection paint (which he never got) two years in a row. In the late '90's I had a ZZR1100 with CN for £300, the renewal went to £600. I got it for £200 off another company.
    I never had a claim in my 40 years riding.
    A guy on biker.ie had the same situation and went to their office and got the €10.
    Has ANYONE ever got the €10 they promised in their flyer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I haven't got a free tenner but they did knock €42 off my renewal quote.
    Went from €432 to €390 fully comp on 4 bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I didn't see any tenner flyer, but they did put up my renewal from €290-odd to €712 when I got the new Africa Twin.......

Bargained hard, as everyone else was much cheaper anyway, and got it for €373

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

galwaytt wrote: »
    I didn't see any tenner flyer, but they did put up my renewal from €290-odd to €712 when I got the new Africa Twin.......

Bargained hard, as everyone else was much cheaper anyway, and got it for €373

Jaysus that's some difference, how did they justify the original quote when they then gave you the new one for 373??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus that's some difference, how did they justify the original quote when they then gave you the new one for 373??

Two step procedure.

1. Pull a nmber out of the air. A large proportion of customers will just renew because they don’t want the hassle of shopping around, or will leave it too late.

2. If step one fails, come back with a number that the customer might pay, based on the fact that it seems like a big discount when compared to the first quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I switched from Carol Nash to Principal at the start of the year. Carol Nash charged me 50 euro as an admin fee to change my address.. Every year they send a ridiculous renewal that require multiple phone calls to lower to some arbitrary number that I find acceptable. On top of that I always just found them awkward to deal with, phone calls taking ages etc. I was on the phone to Principal a few times in the last couple weeks getting quotes and switching my bike over and I was genuinely impressed by how pleasant they are to deal with, very friendly, informative and professional staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spider2

rowanh wrote: »
    I switched from Carol Nash to Principal at the start of the year. Carol Nash charged me 50 euro as an admin fee to change my address.. Every year they send a ridiculous renewal that require multiple phone calls to lower to some arbitrary number that I find acceptable. On top of that I always just found them awkward to deal with, phone calls taking ages etc. I was on the phone to Principal a few times in the last couple weeks getting quotes and switching my bike over and I was genuinely impressed by how pleasant they are to deal with, very friendly, informative and professional staff.

Principal also saved me €100 on my house insurance over FBD.

conor2469 wrote: »

The flyer I got was sent to my address, and it addresses me by my first name in bold lettering. Looks like it was printed just for me.
    Reading the terms and conditions, I have met ALL the requirements and they won't respond to my emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

spider2 wrote: »
    Reading the terms and conditions, I have met ALL the requirements and they won't respond to my emails.

They are trying to fob you off, start ringing them, its harder to ignore than an email

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I didnt know principal do home cover aswell...must keep that in mind for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I got my renewal from CN last year, originally looked for an extra €100 from last year. the guy on the phone initially got snotty when I asked was the original renewal and he said it was cheaper than last year, when I had the receipts and knew it wasn't
    Pushed hard between them and Prinicpal, eventually got FC on a dragstar 1100 & 1500 Valkyrie, for 305, I then moved a few months after that and recently changed a bike and paid €45 each time on admin charges....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

For your renewals folks when you ring them up, ask them what the premium is and what commission they get on that premium(this needs to be excluding any fee as commissions don't apply to fee amounts, a fee is a separate charge).

The commission will probably be around 20-25% of the premium - the advisor told me she didn't know the commission (I think she was more taken back someone asked). I made her find out and it was about the 20% I can't remember the exact figure, it's at least 20% anyway. So for my premium of €276.54(excluding the government levy) if the commission was 20%, the broker is earning €55.31 from that. And then the fee they charge will go on top of this. (use a calculator and go 276.54x20%, it will give you the 55.31)

This will give you an idea of what the earnings for the broker actually are. My policy also had a €72.50 fee so they made €127 in total. The broker is going to have a minimum amount they need to make also.

I don't consider their earnings to be too unrealistic as ultimately they need to be paid too.

But maybe the above will help some of you folks, if they know you are doing to the math to see what the broker earns they may be less inclined to try their arm - I wonder for GalwayyTT big Africa Twin quote was there an extortionate chancing of their arm with a big fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

For your renewals folks when you ring them up, ask them what the premium is and what commission they get on that premium(this needs to be excluding any fee as commissions don't apply to fee amounts, a fee is a separate charge).

The commission will probably be around 20-25% of the premium - the advisor told me she didn't know the commission (I think she was more taken back someone asked). I made her find out and it was about the 20% I can't remember the exact figure, it's at least 20% anyway. So for my premium of €276.54(excluding the government levy) if the commission was 20%, the broker is earning €55.31 from that. And then the fee they charge will go on top of this. (use a calculator and go 276.54x20%, it will give you the 55.31)

This will give you an idea of what the earnings for the broker actually are. My policy also had a €72.50 fee so they made €127 in total. The broker is going to have a minimum amount they need to make also.

I don't consider their earnings to be too unrealistic as ultimately they need to be paid too.

But maybe the above will help some of you folks, if they know you are doing to the math to see what the broker earns they may be less inclined to try their arm - I wonder for GalwayyTT big Africa Twin quote was there an extortionate chancing of their arm with a big fee?

Well it's not just me: a few colleagues who've had renewals are having not-dissimilar experience.

....and another thing: the ultimate premium included €69 for breakdown - which I didn't want: I already have full AA cover - but they said it's not optional, and everyone who takes a policy has to take it.

Mmmmmmm :confused::confused::confused:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Yeah I find they are a chancey enough crowd, I was hoping to move to Principle this year but they were too high.

That breakdown cover is probably an expense embedded in the premium by the Insurer, it would be um-removable. I have it too. I wonder if all the Carole Nash policies do? I assume the Insurer for yours is also Ageas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Last year I had Carole Nash policy with Ageas and it had breakdown cover. CN premium jumped loads at renewal.
    Moved to Principal/Allianz this year for similar premium I was paying with CN the year before.
    Only downside on the Principal/Allianz cover is the breakdown cover doesn't cover you if it's within a mile of your house. Hope I don't ever get any punctures on the way home!

CN quoted me €810 v Principal €415. CN said they'd knock off "their broker fee" and quoted me €564 which is €246 broker fee. They are a bunch of chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

spider2 wrote: »
    CN quoted me €810 v Principal €415. CN said they'd knock off "their broker fee" and quoted me €564 which is €246 broker fee. They are a bunch of chancers.

https://ireland.carolenash.com/tob/
    Apparently it's max €150, but even that seems high. Normally max for any insurance I've ever seen (well, recently) is €100.

Advertisement