Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maximum range on one fill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

jimgoose wrote: »
    Have you still got that great dirty-looking V8?? :pac:

My little jigger does ~640 miles per 50l tank fairly consistently.

I do indeed, swallowing fuel :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Drove 600 km (mostly motorway) on about 35 litres. In a Skoda superb deisel. 1.6L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

1040km this week 2018 E220

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

08 BMW 320i with according to Parkers.co.uk is a 63l tank
    I fill up once the fuel light comes on so i get on average 620km. Could squeeze 650- 670 if i pushed it closer to empty but not a fan of doing that
    Averaging 33.44mpg from my fuel app which is a mixture of town and country roads, no motorways
    I'm also a fan of accelerating quick so i think i could get 35mpg if i drove sensibly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Are we going backwards?

I see the oldest car gets the longest range on a tank.

But I remember years ago my friend was getting 1,900 km on long runs in his W124, 300D, MY 1987 :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Seweryn wrote: »
    Are we going backwards?

I see the oldest car gets the longest range on a tank...

I think what's happening is that the new, small turbocharged petrols are a bit thirsty when doing fast/highway stuff. Many turbodiesels from 5-10 years back are impressively efficient.

I think what's happening is that the new, small turbocharged petrols are a bit thirsty when doing fast/highway stuff. Many turbodiesels from 5-10 years back are impressively efficient.
    Yeah, that is right. Plus the extra weight doesn't help.

But I have 20 - 30 year old cars in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yeah, that is right. Plus the extra weight doesn't help.

But I have 20 - 30 year old cars in mind.

Ah well, those old 300D Mercs are in a class of one! :D

Ah well, those old 300D Mercs are in a class of one! :D

Yeah, still beating most of the, so called, modern stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Are we going backwards?

I see the oldest car gets the longest range on a tank.

But I remember years ago my friend was getting 1,900 km on long runs in his W124, 300D, MY 1987 :).

Newer cars have smaller fuel tanks. I'd say the emissions tests are done with a full tank rather than a certain number of litres of fuel, so you the situation on the likes of the A4 & 3 Series where the standard tank is a ridiculously small 40 Litres, but it's a no cost option to include the 55 litre tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

1224 km to 66 litres 5.4 L/100km 52 mpg in old money. 191 superb 2 litre diesel, very happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Interesting to see that modern cars of the same size and fuel type have become no more economical than cars of 12 to 20 years ago
    Yet became more problematic with emissions systems and over engineered electrics
    Yet the high insurance and crazy old tax system are running them of the road
    Id still rather pay for a old car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Nothing wrong with an older diesel once it's doing longer journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

A small capacity diesel(1.4 to 1.6 litre) is much more economic and powerful than a comparable car from 20 years ago and fuel is considerably more expensive than it was back then if the CSO's index linked calculator is to be believed.
    On top of that those engines are propelling cars which are 20 to 30% heavier than back then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Golf GTD.

About 800 miles from full to diesel light on doing cross country driving.
    I could probably get better with a change in driver habits and fuel light gambling.

Very happy with those numbers to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Slightly under 2,100 km. From St Louis in Senegal to Tiznit in Morocco.

Land Cruiser HDJ 80 (1993 or so) with factory fitted extended range tanks. 220l IIRC. Had very strong seasonal southerly winds for over 1200 km which helped. Almost empty roads so you stay at a fairly constant 100 kmh. 2 day trip with border crossings. About 16-18/hours each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

KevRossi wrote: »

Land Cruiser HDJ 80 (1993 or so) with factory fitted extended range tanks. 220l IIRC. Had very strong seasonal southerly winds for over 1200 km which helped. Almost empty roads so you stay at a fairly constant 100 kmh. 2 day trip with border crossings. About 16-18/hours each day.
    The things we must do...
    Some day €19.99 low cost carrier flights will come to your corner of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

rivegauche wrote: »
    The things we must do...
    Some day €19.99 low cost carrier flights will come to your corner of the world.

Well I no longer work there :o. If you want to fly in that region then Royal Air Maroc are top notch, second is Algerian Airlines.

The Land Cruiser was an African delivered Safari model, had an optional 2WD mode as well. 2nd best 4x4 ever built - only the HZJ 75/78 beats it.

KevRossi wrote: »

27 mpg, about standard for Toyota.

firstlight wrote: »
    Interesting to see that modern cars of the same size and fuel type have become no more economical than cars of 12 to 20 years ago

Yeah but 2.0 diesels from the late 90s weren't 200bhp ish.

And the likes of a Lexus is300h (2.5 petrol hybrid) doing close to 50mpg on motorway spins doesn't have a 20 year old equivalent getting that mpg.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Some were, but in general they didn't have to be.
    And the likes of a Lexus is300h (2.5 petrol hybrid) doing close to 50mpg on motorway spins doesn't have a 20 year old equivalent getting that mpg.
    Well, as the subject says, in this thread we are not comparing mpgs directly.

Did they need to be? No need for that hp in this country,130 to a 150 is plenty enough for Irish roads,sure if you live around Dublin you spend your time parked,no need for your 200 ponies
    Most old diesels can be remapped with even more mpg expected having the right driver

I agree with some of what your saying but I personally see modern cars as overcomplicated

Well, as the subject says, in this thread we are not comparing mpgs directly.

I was replying specifically to and quoted a post about fuel efficiency.

Mpg is fairly important when discussing range BTW....

......,sure if you live around Dublin you spend your time parked,no need for your 200 ponies
    Most old diesels can be remapped with even more mpg expected having the right driver

I agree with some of what your saying but I personally see modern cars as overcomplicated

Sure if you spend your time parked in Dublin traffic why need great range?
    Most modern diesels can be remapped to get even more mpg too.

I'm not claiming modern cars are simple BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

CoBo55 wrote: »
    1224 km to 66 litres 5.4 L/100km 52 mpg in old money. 191 superb 2 litre diesel, very happy with that.

That's the exact same mileage I average with my 3008 which I think is very good. To get it in a car as heavy as a superb is really impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Max I got on the punto is about 700 but it was pretty boring.
    The lancia does about 800 if I drive sensibly

Sure if you spend your time parked in Dublin traffic why need great range?
    Most modern diesels can be remapped to get even more mpg too.

I'm not claiming modern cars are simple BTW.[/quote

Most of my travelling is motorway down the country
    I'd use a tank of fuel at least a week

Did they need to be? No need for that hp in this country,130 to a 150 is plenty enough for Irish roads,sure if you live around Dublin you spend your time parked,no need for your 200 ponies

Most of my travelling is motorway down the country
    I'd use a tank of fuel at least a week

I only mentioned the Dublin thing in reply to your point.
    Which mentioned Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

310km on 1 fill of the 9 litre tank. Still had 30km range when i stopped. BMW i3 Rex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

990Km in my 2L Skoda Octavia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Only getting around 700km from a 12 diesel avensis 60l tank mostly city driving very little motorway.

ofcork wrote: »
    Only getting around 700km from a 12 diesel avensis 60l tank mostly city driving very little motorway.

They wouldn't be great on fuel, never were. Even their forever and a day reliability was questionable for that era.

redlead wrote: »
    That's the exact same mileage I average with my 3008 which I think is very good. To get it in a car as heavy as a superb is really impressive.

I'm delighted with it tbh, it really seemed to come alive after it crossed the 4000km, almost 5000 on it now, love driving it.

Id say motorway id definitely get over 900km a tank as have seen trip showing as low as 3.8l/100km on a journey as for reliability haven't had a single issue in nearly 5 years owning it.

Id say motorway id definitely get over 900km a tank as have seen trip showing as low as 3.8l/100km on a journey as for reliability haven't had a single issue in nearly 5 years owning it.

Owning what? What do you get from fill to fill? Sure we've all seen silly figures from the instant display. Stupid post tbh..

My avensis as I said around 700km from a tank it stands to reason if I was doing longer trips I would get more so post far from stupid !!!

My avensis as I said around 700km from a tank it stands to reason if I was doing longer trips I would get more so post far from stupid !!!

The valvetronic petrol would give you better returns if you could get one, excellent engine, very responsive. I drove diesel when I was doing your type of driving and was getting similar figures, started getting lots of problems too.

I bought mine in late 2014 couldn't get a petrol at the time would like to hear if any here are getting good mpg from one, what diesel were you driving.

I bought mine in late 2014 couldn't get a petrol at the time would like to hear if any here are getting good mpg from one, what diesel were you driving.

07 Octavia 1.9 TDI, sticking turbo vanes sent it to be traded in, was sick of it at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

2011 C4 Grand Picasso, 1.6Hdi, EGS, 10,000 kilometres over the last 10 months, some long distance high speed motorway runs, some local driving, and some of it well loaded, 6.2l/100 Km, which is a shade over 45 Mpg in old money. given the weight and size of the vehicle, I'm not going to complain. Tank holds 60L, so a fill will show me somewhere between 950Km and 1050Km depending on how the average is working out.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I once managed 1550km about 18 months ago before they increased the quantity of bio in Irish diesel. This was in a Peugeot 508 2.0 hdi.

Probably could have gotten slightly more as I only stayed the eco driving challenge about a quarters way through the tank. 85kmh is rather tedious on the motorway though. These days it's normally 1250km, mostly at a gps measured 120kmh on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I've always thought in kilometres per litre; being accurate regarding how many kms/miles per tank you do is difficult because you can't always fill the tank to the same level (and fuel takes up more room in summer than in winter).

To my mind, kpl is a similar (but metric) equivalent of mph. So my 1.6 Golf gets roughly 20kpl (57mpg); motorways can take that up to 22.5kpl (63mph+).

If you read ads for cars showing litres per hundred kilometres (which I think is a clunky measurement) you can quickly calculate your kpl. For example, 4 litres per 100 kilometres is 25kpl (which would be fantastic - I nearly did it on a long motorway journey involving England and Ireland).

Listening to novels on CDs helps combat the boringness.

End of nerdiness. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 lleyn

1.9tdi Golf,last tank 662 miles /1065km 52.89ltr 57mpg.
    All N road and R / back road driving no motorway. Fill to fill from the same pump.

lleyn wrote: »
    1.9tdi Golf,last tank 662 miles /1065km 52.89ltr 57mpg.
    All N road and R / back road driving no motorway. Fill to fill from the same pump.

What year is the car?
    The 1.9s always seem to consistently return great mpg figures,really impressive considering no motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 37 onthesod

What year is the car?
    The 1.9s always seem to consistently return great mpg figures,really impressive considering no motorway

07 TDI Octavia regularly does 1000-1050Km on a tank (50L) with little or no motorway driving, though long spins (70K e/w) to work would be included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Golf GTD.

About 800 miles from full to diesel light on doing cross country driving.
    I could probably get better with a change in driver habits and fuel light gambling.

Very happy with those numbers to be honest.

I've an Octavia VRS and would be getting similar. Probably could get more, but there's no fun in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 lleyn

What year is the car?

2008 with 185k miles, done 90k in the last three years!
    Services ever 10k miles and only other cost has been a wheel bearing.
    I’m buying a van and tbh I’ll pay over the odds for a fresh 1.9tdi Caddy rather than a newer 1.6tdi one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Max range on one fill? About 1100km in a 4.3L V8 of mixed driving, possibly 1300km if I took it easier

85L Petrol tank ~600km + 70L LPG tank ~ 500km

1050km in a vw cc, about half goes on urban and half on motorway, typically a few miles over the limit (10% margin of error!)

Am sure if I had a really boring motorway only drive I could knock another 100km out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got 1000 km from full to light on my 1.6 superb deisel.
    Very happy.
    I try use cruise control when I can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement