Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maximum range on one fill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

550 miles in 535d e60.
    But city driving brings that down to 400-450 easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

lleyn wrote: »
    1.9tdi Golf,last tank 662 miles /1065km 52.89ltr 57mpg.
    All N road and R / back road driving no motorway. Fill to fill from the same pump.

57mpg is very good, especially for what some consider a large engine. Just goes to show.

I remember a guy in the eighties getting a small diesel Peugeot (can't remember the model) but he was getting 80mpg on motorways, delighted with it. All manufacturers should aspire to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

1.4 07 Astra 372 km each way on a full tank. Galway to Belfast via Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

cena wrote: »
    1.4 07 Astra 372 km each way on a full tank. Galway to Belfast via Dublin

744 km? That wouldn't be great for that type of driving, those Astra's are very undergeared for motorway work.

1.4 so it is a petrol engine.

Augeo wrote: »
    1.4 so it is a petrol engine.

Yup petrol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I drove to Donegal and back recently. 500 miles and the fuel gauge hardly moved.

I was experimenting with advanced hypermiling and was able to leave the car coast along in neutral the whole time as it was downhill all the way. Funnily enough the return trip was the same.

Amazing really.

I drove to Donegal and back recently. 500 miles and the fuel gauge hardly moved.

I was experimenting with advanced hypermiling and was able to leave the car coast along in neutral the whole time as it was downhill all the way. Funnily enough the return trip was the same.

Amazing really.

Car?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I drove from Ennis to Dublin today and tried to be as economical as possible, used cruise control for everything, no air con, etc. etc., according to the effective dynamics I was full stars for everything and saved 52.2km on the journey but by jesus it was an awful boring "drive"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cena wrote:
    Car?

Yes in a car.

p.s. Read the list again please. It wasn't entirely serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

1035km from Cherbourg to Briancon in a '07 Q7 tdi without visiting a diesel nozzle, autoroute cruising and some Paris traffic.
    800 miles/tank in my old 90bhp 1.9 tdi Passat estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Current tank
    More city driving less motorway
    From brim so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

2011 Avensis 2.0 D4D - 60 litre tank - 817 km range - mixed driving - mainly secondary roads stuck behind tractors and farmers counting their cattle in the fields (Tipperaryrolleyes.png)for many spells of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

2011 Avensis 2.0 D4D - 60 litre tank - 817 km range - mixed driving - mainly secondary roads stuck behind tractors and farmers counting their cattle in the fields (Tipperaryrolleyes.png)for many spells of that.

My avensis never takes 60l thoigh Usually when empty with about 80km left on the range it takes 45l to fill it. On motorway driving I habe got 900km on a fill of 45l which is good I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

soundman45 wrote: »
    My avensis never takes 60l thoigh Usually when empty with about 80km left on the range it takes 45l to fill it. On motorway driving I habe got 900km on a fill of 45l which is good I think.

I only have my yoke a couple of weeks so will need to do a few more runs with more motorway driving to build up an accurate picture. Mine is actually the same, doesn't seem to take near 50 litres for some reason. But then again I haven't let it run too low yet when filling stations aren't too close to each other and conscious of pulling dirt into the fuel pump if letting it go down too far. I was basing my figure of what was up on the trip computer and the range left (which seemed to be going down pretty accurately relative to the distance covered going up).

900km from 45 litres, that very good. I calculate that's approx. 56.5mpg. Is it the 2.0 d4d or 1.6d you have?

Mine is the 2.0 D4D, the difference it makes doing motorway driving is massive, I find if I do local or stop start city driving I am lucky to get 720 km on a tank or typically the onboard computer will read approx 20km/l on motorway drives and that would drop to approx 16km/l on local runs. seems it built to be a cruiser as it does 120 kph on the motorway barely hitting 2000rpm, car has 250,000 kms on the clock as is as economical as it ever has been.

1248kms to 63.75 litres
    Brimmed
    775 miles
    Still over 6 litres in tank
    55 mpg
    No eco driving
    Tongue out toe down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

soundman45 wrote: »
    Mine is the 2.0 D4D, the difference it makes doing motorway driving is massive, I find if I do local or stop start city driving I am lucky to get 720 km on a tank or typically the onboard computer will read approx 20km/l on motorway drives and that would drop to approx 16km/l on local runs. seems it built to be a cruiser as it does 120 kph on the motorway barely hitting 2000rpm, car has 250,000 kms on the clock as is as economical as it ever has been.

I get around 730 from mine mostly city and national road driving good to know what others are getting.

ofcork wrote: »
    I get around 730 from mine mostly city and national road driving good to know what others are getting.

Cant remember exactly but I have got just slightly over 900 km on a tank but that was completly motorway driving but still impressive allowing for the smallish tank.

• Advertisement

Saw the trip showing 3.8l/100km on a good trip so you would definitely do 900km at least on a tank maybe more.

Saw the trip showing 3.8l/100km on a good trip so you would definitely do 900km at least on a tank maybe more.

I never push it to far though once the range drops to 90km I have 1 fuel bar left then I fill up.

Fantastic reliability from them just go forever with no problems.

Fantastic reliability from them just go forever with no problems.

Ha ha, yea right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Best ever 1,150 kms Volvo V60 D3 60L tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

1,200 kms in a 420d Gran Coupe isn’t too difficult, on occasions where I’m up and down the relatively quiet m9 on my own, driving in a fairly Christian manner.

57 litre tank. That’s an average just over 60 mpg, and it can do more, but it’s pretty draining to hyper mile, and I rarely do it.

A normal tank of city and country driving returns 900kms with absolute ease, with cruise control on the motorway etc and not trying at all to save fuel.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ha ha, yea right...

Going on my own experience yes.

The Avensis is a dinosaur at this stage and the readings from the on board computer are laughable. Low 40's at best.

All the defo talk,run the car from full and you will know your tank range
    If buts and maybes
    My car does same consistently
    I take no notice of that dash display

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This week I got 140 miles out of a 50l tank, so 13MPG, 22l/100km

The Avensis is a dinosaur at this stage and the readings from the on board computer are laughable. Low 40's at best.

900km for 45l diesel, do the maths and trip computer is bang on.
    Yes its a dinosaur, but after 10yrs its never given trouble, original clutch,turbo,injectors, that will do fine for me thanks im not in any hurry to change it.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    This week I got 140 miles out of a 50l tank, so 13MPG, 22l/100km

That's what I was getting out my Aul Cortina with a knackered engine, 0-60 in two days.

firstlight wrote: »
    All the defo talk,run the car from full and you will know your tank range
    If buts and maybes
    My car does same consistently
    I take no notice of that dash display

Exactly, saying that the display on the superb is surprisingly accurate, prefer de aul arithmetic myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Usually get around 370-400 miles on a tank. Got 430 recently. Would normally take 55-60 litres on a fill, so 30-32 mpg is usual for me. 63 litre tank, 2.5 litre naturally aspirated straight six so it's very good on fuel for what it is.

The one thing I've noticed is how much more economical it is when I do motorway or out of town driving, especially on long journeys when the cruise control can be engaged. I find its a lot more relaxing plus it uses a uses a good bit less fuel when I put it on. Doesn't really use any more fuel doing say 120 than 100, maybe 1 or 2 mpg at most.

Usually get around 370-400 miles on a tank. Got 430 recently. Would normally take 55-60 litres on a fill, so 30-32 mpg is usual for me. 63 litre tank, 2.5 litre naturally aspirated straight six so it's very good on fuel for what it is.

The one thing I've noticed is how much more economical it is when I do motorway or out of town driving, especially on long journeys when the cruise control can be engaged. I find its a lot more relaxing plus it uses a uses a good bit less fuel when I put it on. Doesn't really use any more fuel doing say 120 than 100, maybe 1 or 2 mpg at most.

What are you driving though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

640k is *possible*. Car Throttle made a big deal of doing it - even if it took holding something like 80kph in top gear which doesn't feel comfy.

Normal Rmax seems to be 530-550k at 100- 120kph.

On the morning commute, Rmax drops to around 300k.

That's from a 6o litre tank

Exactly, saying that the display on the superb is surprisingly accurate, prefer de aul arithmetic myself.

As is the one on my Audi but I still take no notice of it
    02 car and drives like a new one
    I love the old vag pd units

I had an unusual two weeks driving insofar as I wasn't on a motorway..... Fuel light came on 200m before a service station.....880kms covered and it took 62.24l to fill it.
    That's 40mpg.

Not bad, 181 Kia sorento, 2.2 awd. Not far off size of a landcruiser but doesn't have near the road clearance or the 4WD bits.

25 x 30km trips that are half n7 and half rural roads....some stop start on the n7 too.....in morning rush hour. Not optimum for a range test just real world stuff.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That's what I was getting out my Aul Cortina with a knackered engine, 0-60 in two days.

Ah thankfully mine does it a bit quicker than that, so only have myself to blame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

1100-1250km '14 Megane 1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

300 miles according to the car computer but as per normal this will change drastically depending on how the car is driven.

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    1100-1250km '14 Megane 1.4

How many litres?

firstlight wrote: »
    As is the one on my Audi but I still take no notice of it
    02 car and drives like a new one
    I love the old vag pd units

Same as that, I was just flicking through the screens when I spotted it.

Dartz wrote: »
    640k is *possible*. Car Throttle made a big deal of doing it - even if it took holding something like 80kph in top gear which doesn't feel comfy.

Normal Rmax seems to be 530-550k at 100- 120kph.

On the morning commute, Rmax drops to around 300k.

That's from a 6o litre tank

Is that the RX 7? Lumbering in high gears as you know is detrimental to the rotary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

RX8.

It'll tolerate it on a steady throttle. The torque curve is fairly flat so it does have some torque down there. It's far happier when you let it spin though. It's happiest cruising at 3-4k revs. That seems to be the best for engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I remember those bad boys!

Bits used to fall off on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

2012 5 series m-sport 520d
    70ltr tank
    1050kms with a heavy right foot. Could definitely do more but no fun in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I usually get about 750 - 800km out of a fill from when the fuel light comes on until it's full at the pump which is ~35 litres. The best I've ever seen is 820km. Works out at about 4.2-4.5l/100km. It drops a bit in winter.

Car is a Toyota Auris Hybrid.

z0oT wrote: »
    I usually get about 750 - 800km out of a fill from when the fuel light comes on until it's full at the pump which is ~35 litres. The best I've ever seen is 820km. Works out at about 4.2-4.5l/100km. It drops a bit in winter.

Car is a Toyota Auris Hybrid.

First hybrid, great figures. What sort of driving? I was so close to buying a beautiful 141 one with all the extras but was let down by the buyer for my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Secret Seven

650 km from my old 06 Fiat Idea diesel. That was just tootling around town! Tank size was 47. Miss it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

First hybrid, great figures. What sort of driving? I was so close to buying a beautiful 141 one with all the extras but was let down by the buyer for my car.
    My commute to work is about 30km on an N road at speeds of up to 100kph, and then a further 10km or so through town which is at speeds of up to 60kph usually.

I'm quite gentle with my right foot.

I like the Hybrid to be honest. I'd probably be driving an electric if it made sense for us, but as a one car household, the hybrid is probably the best solution for now.

Advertisement