Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

astradave wrote: »
    That was the actual image used for var. They apologised over it and all.. the goal was given as offside. He was actually onside. Heres the proper lines that should have been used

TELEMMGLPICT000154672507_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq777BIh3S3Mu0jNdR47Uw-aIsag-uqL4yUU8MgAPg8Fw.jpeg?imwidth=450

Is his knee and possibly head not offside here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That was the actual image used for var. They apologised over it and all.. the goal was given as offside. He was actually onside. Heres the proper lines that should have been used

TELEMMGLPICT000154672507_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq777BIh3S3Mu0jNdR47Uw-aIsag-uqL4yUU8MgAPg8Fw.jpeg?imwidth=450

This is the problem even in that shot the line is not correct, its gets closer to the white line of the box the further it goes up the screen ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

correction wrote: »

You could be correct actually, when zooming in, it was more to do with the squiggly lines. I took it from a Telegraph article that said he was onside..

This is the problem even in that shot the line is not correct, its gets closer to the white line of the box the further it goes up the screen ,

They should, perspective..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They would need a moving camera going up and down the line like you see for 100m sprinting events, stationary cameras will give different views and hard to judge tight calls

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You could be correct actually, when zooming in, it was more to do with the squiggly lines. I took it from a Telegraph article that said he was onside..

I actually looked up the story behind this one out of curiosity, and apparently the image with the weird lines posted above was the one released by Hawkeye (the company producing the VAR images) but wasn't the one used by the VAR officials (also supplied of course by Hawkeye) while deciding, which was a different one, I'd imagine the second one posted here, and it was still adjudged offside. Either way, it'll presumably be a bit more polished graphics wise when in official PL use next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Figures for the 2017-18 season

Highest wages :

Utd - 296m
    Pool - 264m
    City - 260m
    Chelsea - 246m
    Arsenal - 240m
    Spurs - 148m

Highest turnover :

Utd - 590m
    City - 500m
    Liverpool - 455m
    Chelsea - 448m
    Arsenal - 403m
    Spurs - 381m

Citys ability to "generate" cash is exceptional.

GavRedKing wrote: »

And the ability to negotiate a reasonable wage bill given their playing squad. All above board obviously.

Utd are getting nothing in return for their "biggest club in England" status.

Spurs are punching well above their weight too.

I suspect that will be changed massively for the 2018-19 accounts, Chelseas figure above counts CL football, if we win the EL next week, we'll still have earned less than we did in 2017-18 when we were K/O'd by Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Level is onside, so he’s on but barely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Highest wages :

Utd - 296m
    Pool - 264m
    City - 260m
    Chelsea - 246m
    Arsenal - 240m
    Spurs - 127m 148M

Highest turnover :

Utd - 590m
    City - 500m
    Liverpool - 455m
    Chelsea - 448m
    Arsenal - 403m
    Spurs - 310m 381M

Your Spurs figures were misquoted. They have closed the gap on Arsenal and will probably overtake them this year with CL money. I would imagine the playing staff will be very interested if the wages bills are still nearly 100M lighter.

5starpool wrote: »
    And the ability to negotiate a reasonable wage bill given their playing squad. All above board obviously.

Probably supplementing wages with sponsorship deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Highest wages :

Utd - 296m
    Pool - 264m
    City - 260m
    Chelsea - 246m
    Arsenal - 240m
    Spurs - 127m

Highest turnover :

Utd - 590m
    City - 500m
    Liverpool - 455m
    Chelsea - 448m
    Arsenal - 403m
    Spurs - 310m

Didnt think liverpool wages were that high. United get rid of Sanchez and we have less. Funny cause thought it nearly double.

Ya agree though about City. Spurs doing exceptional.

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    Utd are getting nothing in return for their "biggest club in England" status.

Spurs are punching well above their weight too.

I suspect that will be changed massively for the 2018-19 accounts, Chelseas figure above counts CL football, if we win the EL next week, we'll still have earned less than we did in 2017-18 when we were K/O'd by Barca.

Our wage bill is embarrassing.

Probably supplementing wages with sponsorship deals

I'd imagine some bonuses or some such that are included as wages for other clubs are under other headings or something. I think I also read that non-playing staff (not sure if this includes Pep and the likes though) are paid by a different corporation, thus reducing this figure more compared to other clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd imagine some bonuses or some such that are included as wages for other clubs are under other headings or something. I think I also read that non-playing staff (not sure if this includes Pep and the likes though) are paid by a different corporation, thus reducing this figure more compared to other clubs.

There is some smoke around City's wages payments that players also sign simultaneous lucrative sponsorship deals with Qatari connected companies. That was the question that was put to Pep at the presser after the FA Cup (about his own financial arrangements).

His extremely stroppy response to a legitimate question and City's response to the FFP investigation suggests the Qataris are going to double down and fight back twice as hard and twice as dirty. It wouldn't be a big stretch to imagine that they know where one or two bodies are buried if Eufa try to bring in the proposed CL ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah I read in the Guardian that Liverpool's wage bill was so high due to bonuses for the run to the CL final.

The club makes serious money from getting that far in the CL so natural that much of it filters down to the players. I imagine Liverpool wouldn't be 2nd on basic wages. But it is true that many key players have got big new deals lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Didnt think liverpool wages were that high.

Pretty much the entire first eleven were given new contracts over the past year so that bumped it up considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I remember that a couple of years ago, one of these lists came out. It turned out that Liverpool's total wage was actually the overall club staff, not just the playing staff - it included players, coaches, staff, scouts etc.

Looking for the article that explained it, but can't find it at the minute.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Your Spurs figures were misquoted. They have closed the gap on Arsenal and will probably overtake them this year with CL money. I would imagine the playing staff will be very interested if the wages bills are still nearly 100M lighter.

Updated. :o

And ya, for 2018/19 I suspect Spurs will have closed the gap, Arsenal have signed a new mega money deal with Adidas but I dont know does it count for the 2018/19 reporting or 2019/20.

CL money is mad compared to the EL.

The PL money itself is extreme but you can bank on about 10 million from group stage games if youre a decent side.

From UEFA :
    This means that at best, a club can earn €82,450,000 of prize money under this structure, not counting shares of the qualifying rounds, play-off round or the market pool.

Spurs are guaranteed roughly 52m if they lose the final, 56m if they win it.

Liverpool are guaranteed roughly 55m if they lose the final, 59m if they win it.

• Advertisement

Our wage bill is embarrassing.

Ya, if I was a Utd fan id be looking at that ist and bemoaning the return, or lack there of from the players they're paying.

We're stuck with some absolute leeches too at Chelsea on high wages so hopefully we've a bit of clear out this summer and its not like we can add to the wage bill with no new signings. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah I read in the Guardian that Liverpool's wage bill was so high due to bonuses for the run to the CL final.

The club makes serious money from getting that far in the CL so natural that much of it filters down to the players. I imagine Liverpool wouldn't be 2nd on basic wages. But it is true that many key players have got big new deals lately.

It's risen by £60m from the last season according to both Guardian reports. The players salaries can't have risen £60m in one year.

Even adding on a couple £m extra for each player that signed new contracts (TAA, Firmino, Salah, Mane etc) - we'll guess at a £10m increase, add in the salary of Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri & Fabinho - a guess at £20m extra here. Then take away the departing players (Can, Ings, Karius and handful other low earners) and we'll guess at a saving of £7m.

that's a £23m increase in salaries on the previuos year - could the CL bonus for players really be £40m odd?

I'm a bit skeptical here to be honest.

FitzShane wrote: »
    It's risen by £60m from the last season according to both Guardian reports. The players salaries can't have risen £60m in one year.

Even adding on a couple £m extra for each player that signed new contracts (TAA, Firmino, Salah, Mane etc) - we'll guess at a £10m increase, add in the salary of Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri & Fabinho - a guess at £20m extra here. Then take away the departing players (Can, Ings, Karius and handful other low earners) and we'll guess at a saving of £7m.

that's a £23m increase in salaries on the previuos year - could the CL bonus for players really be £40m odd?

I'm a bit skeptical here to be honest.

I believe that Liverpool highly incentivises wages, so the better they do the more they'll pay out, which is fair enough. Also, good players don't come cheap either, so the big fees paid means higher money paid out too obviously in wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

United can afford those wages it's only 50% of revenue. Everton, Bournemouth and Crystal palace have dangerously high wage to revenue ratio approaching 80%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Any idea about the Saturday 3pm for us Irish yet? They were on Sky last season.
    Gonna be interesting to see Pubs showing matches on Amazon. Is this only effective this year or was it also last year? Don't recall Amazon having rights last year

The 33 Saturday afternoon kick-offs will all be live on Premier Sports. A further 20 games will be streamed live by Amazon, although this pertains to the UK only – the Irish rights for these games were picked up by Premier Sports

PS will be available to Sky users only, presumably under a BT Sport/Premier Sports package from August or so

https://www.the42.ie/premier-league-tv-rights-in-ireland-4536717-Mar2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

FitzShane wrote: »
    I remember that a couple of years ago, one of these lists came out. It turned out that Liverpool's total wage was actually the overall club staff, not just the playing staff - it included players, coaches, staff, scouts etc.

Looking for the article that explained it, but can't find it at the minute.

I wonder how much Ian Graham’s staff of statisticians (detailed in that recent NY Times article) cost? One of them left CERN to join Liverpool, another has an astrophysics masters etc. Those lads wouldn’t come cheap – nowhere near the players wages obviously, but high enough by ‘normal’ standards I’d say.

How much net profit do owners of clubs get per year from owning a football club? Not a massive amount I'm guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    How much net profit do owners of clubs get per year from owning a football club? Not a massive amount I'm guessing

I'd say Utd, Spurs and Arsenal show a healthy profit for the owners. Chelsea and Man City not so much. The owners of Liverpool have done very well out of it as they inherited a basket case and turned it around, if they cashed in now it would have been a great investment. In fairness same could probably be said for Chelsea and City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

From all in the Villa thread!

WE'RE BACK BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Please be gentle on us:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Norwich, Sheffield United and Villa feel like a significant upgrade for the Premier League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Norwich, Sheffield United and Villa feel like a significant upgrade for the Premier League.

particularly Villa - big club - Shefiield united are really the smaller club in sheffield

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hello folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That should be the first manager sacking of next season sown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Hello folks.

I like what they've done with the place while we were away, needs a bit more colour though than just Reds arguing and Blues winning stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Someone was looking for the table

0 Arsenal Aston Villa Bournemouth Brighton Burnley Chelsea Palace Everton Leicester Liverpool Man City Man Utd Newcastle Norwich Sheff Utd Southampton Tottenham Watford West Ham Wolves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Someone was looking for the table

0 Arsenal Aston Villa Bournemouth Brighton Burnley Chelsea Palace Everton Leicester Liverpool Man City Man Utd Newcastle Norwich Sheff Utd Southampton Tottenham Watford West Ham Wolves

Close race so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Hello folks.

Well done and welcome back!

Only downfall for you is you have to visit this thread now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Could hardly be worse than Fulham and Huddersfield anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Close race so far.

Arsenal top alphabetically (should it not be AFC Bournemouth?), will be some bottle job if they lose it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus Villa have only 14 players left apparently 3 of which are goalkeepers. The 5 loanee's have left (but they want Mings back for good) and released 8 players yesterday.

Huge rebuilding needed there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jaysus Villa have only 14 players left apparently 3 of which are goalkeepers. The 5 loanee's have left (but they want Mings back for good) and released 8 players yesterday.

Huge rebuilding needed there

Jesus. Why release the 8 players now though? At least wait to get some others in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Glenn Whelan was one of those released fwiw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/glenn-whelan-among-eight-players-released-by-aston-villa-1.3912330

All recognisable names. I was expecting mostly lads Id never heard of tbh.

Micah Richards still only 30. Though looking at his stats he hadnt played a league game for Villa in the last 2 seasons and only 2 games the season after they went down. Presumably he was on decent wages an just saw out his contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

A lot of premier league experience there. Even keeping a few like Whelan, Hutton on a one year deal for the experience they could provide in dressing room or on the bench.. very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think it's a decision they will regret come August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The owners are very rich aren't they? Not sure if that means they will spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That is pretty much what Fulham did last season and that worked out well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

To be honest that's a list of has-beens and deadwood. Villa will need to move fast in the market now and clubs will know they are desperate so it could cost them more in transfer fees. Will be an interesting few weeks for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

All out of contract, all over 30, huge wage savings to help rebuild with.

Looks extreme but they would have had little or no involvement next season.
    Whelan and Hutton would have made the biggest contribution this season but both mid 30s now, simply couldn't contribute next season.

Huge job for the management team ahead to get the squad ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I would have completely agreed with the logic of releasing everyone before Fulham did it heading into last season and proved to be absolutely awful. That said, would Whelan and Hutton be a positive at this stage? Probably not.

I think what this does show is that Championship sides have gotten very smart at working one season to the next and offering themselves flexibility in terms of wage bill and ability to change things up should a promotion / relegation occur.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement