Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Quazzie wrote: »
    Of course. I wouldn't dare say such a preposterous thing.

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

6 wrote: »
    Are Arsenal weaker now than under Wenger? Can see them being in Spurs shadow once again this season.

Signing David Luiz has made them considerably weaker. Strikers busting a gut to score great goals, and he undoes all the good work almost every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I like weak Mane. Imagine when he gets strong :)

He’s no Pepe.

eigrod wrote: »
    Signing David Luiz has made them considerably weaker. Strikers busting a gut to score great goals, and he undoes all the good work almost every game.

I think that transfer highlights Emrys poor judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think that transfer highlights Emrys poor judgement.

Pretty sure Luiz was an Edu signing and not Emery. I'd actually doubt Emery has much input into signings under the current regime

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Are Arsenal weaker now than under Wenger? Can see them being in Spurs shadow once again this season.

No, they have Aubameyang & Lacazette up top whereas Giroud was their no.9 under him.
    They ignored centre back & just put a wet band aid over it with David Luiz instead of spending 72 million on what they needed at least one quality centre half that arrives in 2019.
    Emery tactically has clearly messed up a few times with his insistence on playing Xhaka being a clear blindspot & his tactics vs Liverpool which were praised by a few were never going to go well unless Liverpool played like Wolves or Palace did yesterday.

• If I posted this Mane opinion, I would have the lads calling for my head on a pike!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So Mane is the weakest link? The Liverpool player who has scored the most goals so far this calendar year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If I posted this Mane opinion, I would have the lads calling for my head on a pike!

Nah, you've likely have gotten the same reaction as the other chap got for talking such catmolgen.
    Maybe less though because some might not see your posts.
    You'd have gotten some T.Hanks from a couple of posters as well.

So Mane is the weakest link? The Liverpool player who has scored the most goals so far this calendar year

Arguably the best player this year for Liverpool. I think the post was picked apart pretty easily. I think if you are going to say something controversial it probably needs to be factual to start with :cool:.

• Advertisement

Jesus mental uproar over the Auba comment, he is for me the 2nd best finisher in the league and an outstanding player his movement off the ball is insane his workrate his biggest let down, If he was at liverpool Klopp would find a way the use him although probably not in the setup he currently has.

I'm not saying Liverpool need him I'm not even sure he would improve the team if at the club but he is outrageously talented and I think Klopp would use him if he had him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Remarkable that Arsenal have two Sideshow Bobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Arguably the best player this year for Liverpool. I think the post was picked apart pretty easily. I think if you are going to say something controversial it probably needs to be factual to start with :cool:.

So pipe up with an answer whos the weakest then is it Firmino or Salah? Oh wait that question triggered ye aswell :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

tenor.gif?itemid=12275183

pjohnson wrote: »
    So pipe up with an answer whos the weakest then is it Firmino or Salah? Oh wait that question triggered ye aswell :pac:

Salah is the weakest link. Goodbye :)

Salah is the weakest link. Goodbye :)
    Not something I'd have expected to read but good to have it clarified how far he has fallen this year then. At least no one was stupid enough to say Firmino and that finally one of ye was able to answer a question.

Not something I'd have expected but good to have it clarified how far he has fallen then. At least no one was stupid enough to say Firmino and that one of ye was able to answer a quetion.

No problem. If you need any more help moving goalposts let me know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Quazzie wrote: »
    Pretty sure Luiz was an Edu signing and not Emery. I'd actually doubt Emery has much input into signings under the current regime

He was excellent for Emery at PSG, I wouldn't say he was against his signing at all.

But still, Luiz can excel in a 3 at the back, in a 2 he's exposed way too much.

No problem. If you need any more help moving goalposts let me know :D

Yeah the goalposts never actually moved if people could read between their memes and paddy power-esque bants. The whole fcuking thing was.

1. I said Mane was weakest of the front three and possibly (I didnt say Mane was Antonio Nuñez) vulnerable to Auba.

2. *Outrage galore*

3. I was then suprised to see this outrage and read Mane is now player of the year in waiting and asked who is the weakest then if it isnt Mane

4. *Que more upset over doubting Mane without an answer to the question*

5. Finally 6 answers the actual question.

The grumbling was amusing but its finally been answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

JPA wrote: »
    He was excellent for Emery at PSG, I wouldn't say he was against his signing at all.

But still, Luiz can excel in a 3 at the back, in a 2 he's exposed way too much.

He played 3 league games for PSG under Emery and was far from excellent. He was sold shortly after a poor game against Monaco where they were beaten 3-1. He conceded a pen in the game.

He does some things well but he's always got a clanger in his locker. I think Benitez was on to something trying to convert him into a DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

He played 3 league games for PSG under Emery and was far from excellent. He was sold shortly after a poor game against Monaco where they were beaten 3-1. He conceded a pen in the game.

He does some things well but he's always got a clanger in his locker. I think Benitez was on to something trying to convert him into a DM.
    I thought he was a DM converted to a CB. Hes no CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah the goalposts never actually moved if people could read between their memes and paddy power-esque bants. The whole fcuking thing was.

1. I said Mane was weakest of the front three and possibly (I didnt say Mane was Antonio Nuñez) vulnerable to Auba.

2. *Outrage galore*

3. I was then suprised to see this outrage and read Mane is now player of the year in waiting and asked who is the weakest then if it isnt Mane

4. *Que more upset over doubting Mane without an answer to the question*

5. Finally 6 answers the actual question.

The grumbling was amusing but its finally been answered.

You seem fairly ‘triggered’ about this.

Turtyturd wrote: »

You misread my post. Not suprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Football is fickle, at this particular moment in time (Kenny Cunningham) Salah would be viewed as the weakest of the 3 because Mane is on a serious prolonged heater and Firmino is integral to how the team function, but I mean come back in a couple of months and it could be different again, wasn't long ago Salah was being lauded as the best in the world and Mane was getting derided for sloppy finishing and falling over a lot. I am surprised at the frenzy a simple comment managed to stir though, pack mentality kicked in big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Fun to watch, though.

• Advertisement

Football is fickle, at this particular moment in time (Kenny Cunningham) Salah would be viewed as the weakest of the 3 because Mane is on a serious prolonged heater and Firmino is integral to how the team function, but I mean come back in a couple of months and it could be different again, wasn't long ago Salah was being lauded as the best in the world and Mane was getting derided for sloppy finishing and falling over a lot. I am surprised at the frenzy a simple comment managed to stir though, pack mentality kicked in big time.

I'm amazed they missed the poster saying Auba'd be more likely to replace Firmino. That was the most controversial thing but they'd already honed in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm not even a Liverpool fan and found it a bizarre comment. Very clear to see the importance of Mane to that team now, he wouldn't be getting replaced by Auba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'm amazed that this conversation is still going a day later...

Auba is a superb player, no doubt about that, but it's not even like it'd be a like for like replacement, is it? Mane's best games tend to come when he starts out left and drives in to the box.

As for the goal threat, given that they shared the golden boot last season, it's hard to make the case in that regard either, unless Auba's 5 this season tips him over vs Mané's 4...

Turtyturd wrote: »

Yeah, PJohnson is the one who was 'triggered' in all of this alright.

ouRn67a.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement

That should be required viewing by all teams before playing city. Get beyond the press and you're quickly onto their defence, their Milk Maids' sized Achilles heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cantwell has started the season really well. But Pukki is the man!!

That should be required viewing by all teams before playing city. Get beyond the press and you're quickly onto their defence, their Milk Maids' sized Achilles heel.

For the love of god don't show that to Emery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

That Pukki assist was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Listening to a couple of podcasts today discussing this there is a good talking point to it.

With all the stick Jose got for selling KDB why doesn't Pep seem to get any stick for letting a now valued £100m plus player like Sancho leave for £8m.

He say Foden is the most, most, most talented player he has seen in his career yet never trusts him enough to start regularly.

Does Pep not trust players that don't cost £50m+

Listening to a couple of podcasts today discussing this there is a good talking point to it.

With all the stick Jose got for selling KDB why doesn't Pep seem to get any stick for letting a now valued £100m plus player like Sancho leave for £8m.

He say Foden is the most, most, most talented player he has seen in his career yet never trusts him enough to start regularly.

Does Pep not trust players that don't cost £50m+

I think they "let Sancho leave" as he refused to sign a new deal despite verbally agreeing to & they didn't want him going to an English team so they took less from a foreign team for him. In fairness Sterling, Sane & Bernardo Silva were playing in the wide roles so it's hard to get in the team. Sancho probably knows when you get promoted to be a regular in the senior team would be unrealistic for a teenager. He's done well in the Bundesliga but playing for Dortmund is better for a teenager, you dont have to play with the consistency of a Man City where any defeat is critiqued whereas at Dortmund its kinda normal to fall apart a few times a year.
    De Bruyne was a bigger loss to the team Saturday than Foden would have been, he brought him on at 3-1 but it was way too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sancho did the same as Pogba. Turned down the offer to stay with their current club as wanted 1st team football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Sancho had the guts to force the move instead of staying and just training with the best manager in the world and fair play to him he could have sat on a nice wage at City and hear Pep talk him up and never play him. Sancho like De Bruyne moved to better their chances at getting first team football and it worked out for both very well. They and they young British players playing in Germany are great examples to players like Foden to move and play regular first team football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

RasTa wrote: »
    Sancho did the same as Pogba. Turned down the offer to stay with their current club as wanted 1st team football.

I though Ferguson kicked Pogba out of the club because he wanted nothing to do with his agent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I though Ferguson kicked Pogba out of the club because he wanted nothing to do with his agent?

You thought wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Cantwell has started the season really well. But Pukki is the man!!

Cantwell had been a target of the boo boys at Norwich at a crucial point last season. Buendia got banned for 3 games where we needed a couple of wins to sew up promotion but things got difficult and Cantwell came in and got dealt a bad hand by some supporters. He used that criticism as a catalyst for this year and he's a totally changed player from what I've seen of him in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If El Ghazl had rolled his head off an opposition player like he to Mings there he might have been sent off for throwing a headbutt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

If El Ghazl had rolled his head off an opsission player like he to Migs there he might have been sent off.

I was watching but couldn't figure out what it was over? El Ghazi defending, or lack of?

El Ghazi thankfully didnt lean his head in there.

Red for Masuaku. This game has been woeful to watch. It's just happening, no real quality being shown by anyone & when it ends the only real skill will be shown by journalists who have to write 1000 words on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Was that a straight red? Didn't catch what the commentator was saying there did he say VAR only reviews yellow cards but not reds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Was that a straight red? Didn't catch what the commentator was saying there did he say VAR only reviews yellow cards but not reds?

No was a second yellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ERG89 wrote: »
    Red for Masuaku. This game has been woeful to watch. It's just happening, no real quality being shown by anyone & when it ends the only real skill will be shown by journalists who have to write 1000 words on it.
    Not sure he touched him, seemed very harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I absolutely despise Mike Dean, couldn't wait to get that card out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Mushy wrote: »
    No was a second yellow

So VAR doesn't review yellow cards is what the commentator said? The EPL appear determined to make a hames of VAR and not use it properly.

Probably wouldn't have overturned it anyway. It was soft but could have been arguably a yellow card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement