Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So VAR doesn't review yellow cards is what the commentator said? The EPL appear determined to make a hames of VAR and not use it properly.

Probably wouldn't have overturned it anyway. It was soft but could have been arguably a yellow card.

Tbh didn't hear what commentator said, it's normally easy to ignore them.

Lad was an idiot to rush in. While it was soft, giving a card happy ref like Dean a chance will end that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dreadful game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So no VAR check on the two pen calls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

That was horrific to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

rob316 wrote: »
    Dreadful game

Desperate stuff. Villa must be prime relegation candidates. Grealish is no loss at all to Ireland, he's utter sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mushy wrote: »
    Tbh didn't hear what commentator said, it's normally easy to ignore them.

Lad was an idiot to rush in. While it was soft, giving a card happy ref like Dean a chance will end that way

If you look at it again. Dean blew for the foul and went to walk on, then it looks like he copped the player was already on a yellow so decided to go for the cards then when he knew he'd have a chance to give the red.

The FA changed the retirement rules to allow him still be q ref, so can't see a change from him anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Desperate stuff. Villa must be prime relegation candidates. Grealish is no loss at all to Ireland, he's utter sh1te.

Yea I've been dissapointed from what I've seen from villa so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Quazzie wrote: »
    If you look at it again. Dean blew for the foul and went to walk on, then it looks like he copped the player was already on a yellow so decided to go for the cards then when he knew he'd have a chance to give the red.

The FA changed the retirement rules to allow him still be q ref, so can't see a change from him anytime soon.

Jesus that's poor. And unsurprising at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Neville loves the Net Spend at Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Bolloxs ,he would be a bit of energy to the team. Ireland are very weak him in mid field be a nice option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Contradicting himself lot tonight is Gary this seems to becoming a lot more common.

His failure as a manager really hurt him as a pundit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Did anyone else notice that on the crests in the background throughout the game it was Bournemouth, Arsenal, Villa etc.

But now it's Arsenal, Villa, Bournemouth?

Neville loves the Net Spend at Man U.

He will do everything to defend his mate.

This virtual reality thing is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's hilarious how much this new goal kick rule is making teams feel like they need to play it out from the back when their defenders clearly aren't comfortable with doing so.

It's totally insane... especially the way Arsenal did it yesterday. Like, for the mistake, Watford had 4 or 5 guys right in around Arsenal's box ready to press. Surely that's an invitation for Arsenal to go over the top, because with only 5 or 6 Watford players in the whole rest of the pitch, there has to be a free man or a good matchup out here somewhere. But instead they decide to pointlessly pass it into big trouble and concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

naughtb4 wrote: »
    So no VAR check on the two pen calls?

Yes there was - play doesn’t have to stop. VAR is viewing the incident while play is still going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Contradicting himself lot tonight is Gary this seems to becoming a lot more common.

His failure as a manager really hurt him as a pundit.

Isn't punditry generally the arena for failed managers though?

As Behan said, "Critics are like eunuchs in a harem. They know how it's done, they've seen it done everyday, but they're unable to do it themselves."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

magma69 wrote: »

No, they get national team jobs first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

As Behan said, "Critics are like eunuchs in a harem. They know how it's done, they've seen it done everyday, but they're unable to do it themselves."

Yep, Souness is one for for sure. Then look at hamann, carragher and redknapp who’ve never even spent time in the hot seat. Fair ****s to Stevie who is giving it a chance

Least Neville had the bottle to try his hand, fail spectacularly and not try and hide the fact that he flunked up. Scholes went into management at Oldham, saw it was a ramshackle environment that can’t be fixed and said I’m not tying myself to this anchor.

But each to there own as they say....

Don't mind Neville he jumped into it at a high level, failed and has absolutely no problem admitting it and saying it's not for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Bolloxs ,he would be a bit of energy to the team. Ireland are very weak him in mid field be a nice option.

Nah. I disagree we’re doing fine without him and we’re more likely to be at Euro 2020 than he will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Don't mind Neville he jumped into it at a high level, failed and has absolutely no problem admitting it and saying it's not for him.

I’d have liked to have seen how he would have gotten on with a job in an English speaking country. As far as I recall he was well regarded with England and Valencia were already not doing great when he came in and had to have everything he said translated to his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

On the flip side Jose has given some insight into why managers can react a certain way to pundits and confirmed that good pundits do a lot of preparation for the games. Some managers make bad pundits.

Being a bad manager doesn’t mean you don’t have a massive knowledge of the game. Man management is possibly the most important part of the game that has nothing to do with football knowledge. I’m only saying that because some might use “failed manager” as an opportunity to question the knowledge of a pundit. Some are not great and don’t deserve much respect but there are good ones (like Neville)and most of them have a better grasp of the game then anybody who has ever posted on these forums.

Neville is a rare pundit he can offer very good analysis without throwing out just controversial sound bites.
    Carragher is good too but I think Neville takes it that bit more serious.
    I enjoy listening to top level pros, I can't stand the likes of Jenas, Murphy, the other Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,457 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Neville is a rare pundit he can offer very good analysis without throwing out just controversial sound bites.
    I enjoy listening to top level pros, I can't stand the likes of Jenas, Murphy, the other Neville.

You think Phil Neville wasn't a top level pro? I guess he only had 263 league appearances for United across a time that included 6 PL winning seasons, 59 caps for England, another 242 PL appearances for a near perennial top 6 team, 3 FA Cups and a Champions League. Who is a 'top level pro'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liam O wrote: »
    You think Phil Neville wasn't a top level pro? I guess he only had 263 league appearances for United across a time that included 6 PL winning seasons, 59 caps for England, another 242 PL appearances for a near perennial top 6 team, 3 FA Cups and a Champions League. Who is a 'top level pro'?

I don't think he was saying Phil isn't a top level pro just that he didn't like listening to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I am not so much inclined lately. He has habit of throwing out soundbites more and more, be it on twitter or on Sky TV (away from MNF). Just think about recent comments about Liverpool and the CL, and selling Salah etc. He was saying them for a reason, and it was not with his impartial pundit hat on either. The same can be said for Carragher sometimes too.

MNF have a big team of analysts behind them, and the show often takes more than a day to prepare. This is a very good piece from Melissa Reddy (https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/the-making-of-monday-night-football-206810) on how much work goes in behind the scenes before the 2 lads go on screen. What I took from it,but there are a team of 30 people working together to put together the analysis pieces we see on screen. The analysis is not always what Neville & Carragher actually think or see themselves, more they are presenting what the analysis team overall (with them included) have seen or want to present.

The 2 lads are great but I think their analysis on MNF and their analysis on twitter / other shows can be very different. They are not as thorough or reasoned when not on MNF, so it comes across more as more reactionary and giving soundbites and trying to be controversial for controversy sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Stones out injured for 5 weeks, pep must be furious he can't buy his way out of this one till the new year.

Liam O wrote: »

Christ ye latch on everything. I wouldn't regard him as high a level as Gary, he did play almost as much for Everton as United. And yes I don't enjoy listening to him he has no insight and just a bore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ ye latch on everything. I wouldn't regard him as high a level as Gary, he did play almost as much for Everton as United. And yes I don't enjoy listening to him he has no insight and just a bore.

I'd say there was no ott reaction tbf. Not like someone mentioned Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

klose wrote: »
    Stones out injured for 5 weeks, pep must be furious he can't buy his way out of this one till the new year.

Probably won't make a difference TBH as Ferdandinho will slot in there and can't be any worse. Now if Ferdandinho or Rodrigo get injured then thats a different story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Honestly think they'll be stronger with Stones out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

Mason Mount had to go off injured after an apparent nasty tackle by Coquelin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

eigrod wrote: »
    Mason Mount had to go off injured after an apparent nasty tackle by Coquelin

Was nasty. Coq cleared the ball and Mount tackled and came off the worse if it. Certainly no intention from Coq and not much he could've done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Premier League teams didn’t look great in the CL tonight. Both losing but not even playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The Premier League teams didn’t look great in the CL tonight. Both losing but not even playing well.

Chelsea weren't that bad and they should have got a point from their game. Liverpool game was fairly even also but Napoli had that bit more energy and creativity, which got them the goals. Liverpool do look a bit tired at times but they'll still have enough to get out of the group. The two meet at the weekend. Still fancy Liverpool to get points, by the odd goal, given that Chelsea won't have Kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Is Kante injured? I know he missed their first game with an injury - has that flared up again? Great news for Liverpool if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Is Kante injured? I know he missed their first game with an injury - has that flared up again? Great news for Liverpool if so.

Yeah, has missed the last three games with an ankle injury and was out again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I’d have liked to have seen how he would have gotten on with a job in an English speaking country. As far as I recall he was well regarded with England and Valencia were already not doing great when he came in and had to have everything he said translated to his players.
    Bielsa, at Leeds, has little or no English and needs a translator to communicate so lack of fluency in the native tongue is not a serious impediment when it comes to doing the job. If Neville had been given more time at Valencia he may have become successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

chicorytip wrote: »
    Bielsa, at Leeds, has little or no English and needs a translator to communicate so lack of fluency in the native tongue is not a serious impediment when it comes to doing the job. If Neville had been given more time at Valencia he may have become successful.

Valencia has been a basket case ever since, too. Tbh, I've no idea if Neville would have been good or bad as a coach, or whether his issues were language or a lack of respect from players (I mean, he's friends with the owner - that's why he got the job. That's well documented and I know that wouldn't exactly endear me to my boss!) but it's hard to know if he could have done a job at Valencia even if he was the second coming of Guardiola, Ferguson and Sacchi rolled into one.

They sacked Marcelino last week, despite him winning their first trophy in 11 years and getting them into the CL.

Since Neville, they have had Pako Ayestaran (lasted 12 games), Salvador Gonzales "Voro" (caretaker for 3 games), Cesare Prandelli (10 games), Voro again (25 games this time), then Marcelino (110 games). It's a mess of a club, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.balls.ie/amp/football/klopps-agent-claims-boss-leave-liverpool-due-bad-british-weather-417333

His agent up to mischief or maybe Klopp is fed up looking at a city that in places looks like it was never rebuilt since his uncles bombed it in the war.

https://twitter.com/MaddockMirror/status/1173657376022519809?s=19

Nothing to worry about CC. You'll have to keep looking up at him for another few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

chicorytip wrote: »

Neville himself has spoken about how the language barrier was an issue for him and that players even told him his message was not getting across.

I would imagine he was offered jobs since then in England as it was a bad time for the club in general at Valencia not just that it was Neville in charge. Think it really knocked his confidence in his own ability as a manager though. He is comfortable and thinks he is good at what he does at Sky instead.

I'd actually look at it more as a reverse situation as Emery seems to be edging towards at The Emirates. Seems he actually needs a translator to get his message through. Bielsa I could not equate to Neville when he was in his first management gig. Bielsa, especially in the championship, has their respect immediately and his players already know what to expect from him (and he'd likely expect from them) as he is a well documented coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Saturday 2nd November 2019
    12:30 AFC Bournemouth v Man Utd (BT Sport)
    17:30 Watford v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Sunday 3rd November 2019
    14:00 Crystal Palace v Leicester (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Everton v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Friday 8th November 2019
    20:00 Norwich v Watford (Sky Sports)

Saturday 9th November 2019
    12:30 Chelsea v Crystal Palace (BT Sport)
    17:30 Leicester v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Sunday 10th November 2019
    14:00 Man Utd v Brighton*
    14:00 Wolves v Aston Villa (Sky Sports)*
    16:30 Liverpool v Man City (Sky Sports)
    *Moved due to UEFA Europa League participation

Saturday 23rd November 2019
    12:30 West Ham v Spurs (BT Sport)
    17:30 Man City v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Sunday 24th November 2019
    16:30 Sheffield United v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

Monday 25th November 2019
    20:00 Aston Villa v Newcastle (Sky Sports)

Saturday 30th November 2019
    12:30 Newcastle v Man City (BT Sport)
    17:30 Southampton v Watford (Sky Sports)

Sunday 1th December 2019
    14:00 Norwich v Arsenal (Sky Sports)*
    14:00 Wolves v Sheffield United*
    16:30 Leicester v Everton (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Man Utd v Aston Villa*
    *Moved due to UEFA Europa League participation

Peter Beardsley guilty of racial abuse and suspended for 32 weeks

A statement from the Football Association .
    “The FA alleged that Mr Beardsley used abusive and/or insulting words, which were contrary to FA Rule E3(1) and constituted an “Aggravated Breach” under FA Rule E3(2) due to reference of ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality, while employed as a coach of the club’s Under-23s team.

“All three breaches of FA Rule E3 were denied but subsequently found proven based upon the results and findings of Newcastle United FC’s disciplinary proceedings.”

https://www.the42.ie/peter-beardsley-newcastle-united-banned-32-weeks-footballing-activity-4816057-Sep2019/

Nuno is going to be under serious pressure now.

Jose sitting at home with the voodoo doll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nuno is going to be under serious pressure now.

Jose sitting at home with the voodoo doll.

Are wolves suffering from second season syndrome?

They're playing in that competition since July, they need to get out fast or they'll be in a relegation battle. It's too big of a strain on smaller squads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Wolves didn't really do much to strengthen in the summer. Just in terms of bodies, they look particularly short in midfield for one.

Doherty was essential for them last season and his injuries have seen Traore shoved in there and it hasn't really worked well.

I wonder is it a combination of a slight drop in tempo and then just some fatigue? Because they have some excellent players but even the likes of Jota, Jimenez, Moutinho and Neves haven't been as good as they were last season.

That said, beating Torino home and away was good and while the manner of defeat to Chelsea was bad, most of their league games haven't been far off what you'd expect the result to be - draws with Leicester, Man United and Burnley, defeats to Chelsea and Everton... It's a tough start on paper, especially with added Europa League.

The issue that Nuno has now, though, is that they've Palace away this weekend (after a Europa game), then Watford, Besiktas, City, Southampton, Bratislava, Newcastle, Arsenal... There's a few tough games post-Europe in there, so likely to drop points, so that puts a lot of pressure on the Watford and Southampton games, for example.

That list there brings them up to November and they could be a bit adrift at that stage if they don't turn it around.

There should be a 3rd tier European competition and the Europa league shortened, it's just too long. Wolves want to take it seriously but it's too much.

There should be a 3rd tier European competition and the Europa league shortened, it's just too long. Wolves want to take it seriously but it's too much.

And make it knock-out from the off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement