Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I see Sergio Ramos finished the season with as many goals as Rashford but in less game

What has that got to do with 2019-20 season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

What has that got to do with 2019-20 season?

Bizarre comment. Whilst primarily used for discussing the coming season it's inevitable that past seasons will be discussed and compared. Are you suggesting that we should only speak of the 19/20 season and never reference anything outside of it? Again, bizarre.

This is it wrote: »
    Bizarre comment. Whilst primary used for discussing the coming season it's inevitable that past seasons will be discussed and compared. Are you suggesting that we should only speak of the 19/20 season and never reference anything outside of it? Again, bizarre.

Well considering one of the players does not even play in the Premier league and not likely to play in the Premier League what was the point of the statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yea I realize hes a center back , but hes a center back that takes Penos .
    Just pointing out that its a sneaky stat, trying to make the kid look worse than he is.

He does that himself :D only joking any idea how many of Ramos's goal where pens ?
    I know Rashford scored 1 v PSG but was it his only one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

He does that himself :D only joking any idea how many of Ramos's goal where pens ?
    I know Rashford scored 1 v PSG but was it his only one ?

Not a United fan but I hate those sneaky stats, I dont know how many Ramos penos scored but Id say they be pretty high amount.

• Advertisement

Not a United fan but I hate those sneaky stats, I dont know how many Ramos penos scored but Id say they be pretty high amount.

I just checked I think he took 11 and missed 3 , Some amount of pens that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Well considering one of the players does not even play in the Premier league and not likely to play in the Premier League what was the point of the statement?

The point is pretty clear, not that I agree a comparison can be made. I'm sure a quick look at your previous posts in the 18/19 thread would see mention of players from other leagues or previous seasons, no?

Sorry should i pass every topic with yourself before I decide to post .
    Man you must be having a bad day if your moaning at that, hope it all works out for you,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

While we are at it I'd take a punt and say Ramos scored more last year than lets say Virgil Van Dijk, Martin Dubravka, Jack Wilshere, Ryan Bertrand, Dan Gosling, Robbie Keane, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Moritz Volz did combined last year.

#stats

Sorry should i pass every topic with yourself before I decide to post .
    Man you must be having a bad day if your moaning at that, hope it all works out for you,

Not at all but you know what you’re doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I can’t see Premier Sports paying all that money for the Irish broadcast rights to that package only to sit idly by and watch Amazon grant UK access to every Irish Prime sub who requests it.

Most people in Ireland have access to the Irish Prime content. If you email/use live chat you can get them to transfer you to the UK service and you'll have access to a lot more stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Most people in Ireland have access to the Irish Prime content. If you email/use live chat you can get them to transfer you to the UK service and you'll have access to a lot more stuff.

That's exactly what I said............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Not at all but you know what you’re doing.

Nice to see someone other than United fans call him out on this sort of nonsense, fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then Lampard will be installed as Chelsea's 2019/2020 manager and Sarri to be announced at Juve tomorrow by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

astradave wrote: »
    Nice to see someone other than United fans call him out on this sort of nonsense, fair play

I agree and it would be nice if this continued from both sides going forward. Its the only way this thread will not turn into what it usually does.

So then Lampard will be installed as Chelsea's 2019/2020 manager and Sarri to be announced at Juve tomorrow by the looks of it.

That could be a disaster, Lampard is crazy to think he can help that mess. Hes a braver man than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That could be a disaster, Lampard is crazy to think he can help that mess. Hes a braver man than me.

Its impossible for him to turn it down. The players will have no where to hide, fans will back him over the players all day long.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its impossible for him to turn it down. The players will have no where to hide, fans will back him over the players all day long.

Why because he a club legend ,look at ole he should have stepped aside and can see fans turning on him soon pretty fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why because he a club legend ,look at ole he should have stepped aside and can see fans turning on him soon pretty fast.

Fair point yes, unlike Ole, Lampard has actually looked like he has a future in the game at the top. He did a good job at Derby, I think it's a risk worth taking from Chelsea.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Di Matteo won the bloody Champions league and still couldn't last a season.

If Chelsea don't perform Lampard will be on the scrap heap in no time.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

niallo27 wrote: »
    Fair point yes, unlike Ole, Lampard has actually looked like he has a future in the game at the top. He did a good job at Derby, I think it's a risk worth taking from Chelsea.

Other managers got sacked at Derby for getting the playoffs. He did an ok job at best, made playoff final due to an hilarious/infuriating and spectacular collapse by Leeds.

Very risky by Chelsea, especially this early in his career. Ole at Utd...that's a symptom of Utd at the moment, wouldn't be worth comparing. As you say, Lampard looks like he may have a future at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

With the transfer ban it's probably hard to attract a world class manager.

If it goes wrong, maybe get Allegri next year who is on sabbatical?

Be interesting to see what position was played most by the top mangers as players,

I'd imagine defenders and midfielders would have a better understanding of the game and tactic's , Most forwards / wingers play off the cuff with instinct and pace ,

Might sound stupid but even growing the intelligent lads always tended to be Defenders or Midfielders and the care free souls wingers or forwards ,

Mushy wrote: »
    Other managers got sacked at Derby for getting the playoffs. He did an ok job at best, made playoff final due to an hilarious/infuriating and spectacular collapse by Leeds.

Very risky by Chelsea, especially this early in his career. Ole at Utd...that's a symptom of Utd at the moment, wouldn't be worth comparing. As you say, Lampard looks like he may have a future at the top.

I reckon the head at Chelsea might see this as almost a free shot of a season,
    The transfer ban kind of makes it an odd season for them ,
    Very hard to attract a top manger with no new players and the sale of Hazard,

Frank would not cost the world and they would get a good idea of how good he is and either keep him for next year or just let him go in the summer,

Be interesting to see what position was played most by the top mangers as players,

I'd imagine defenders and midfielders would have a better understanding of the game and tactic's , Most forwards / wingers play off the cuff with instinct and pace ,

Might sound stupid but even growing the intelligent lads always tended to be Defenders or Midfielders and the care free souls wingers or forwards ,

Thats harsh. Klopp was a striker for Mainz iirc. He later moved back to defence but was still Mainz's top scorer for years.

Cryuff, Ferguson, Clough & Dalglish were all pretty okay aswell I think most will agree.

Your hypothesis is false.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats harsh. Klopp was a striker for Mainz iirc. He later moved back to defence but was still Mainz's top scorer for years.

Obviously there will be some forwards who made great manger's , id love to see the stats on it ,

Clough and Fergie where forwards by all accounts

I'm guessing a lot of forwards are also paid more so never go into management and just retire when they finish playing ,

Cryuff, Ferguson, Clough & Dalglish were all pretty okay aswell I think most will agree.

Your hypothesis is false.

Cryuff was more attacking midfielder , but ye the other 3 certainly strikers ,
    Is there any Prem manger currently who finished there playing days as forwards ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hazard gone.

Loftus Cheek,Hudson Odoi long term in injuries,Transfer Ban, A few aging players past their best in Luiz,Willian,Pedro,Azpilcueta.

Huge job for Lampard.

I done a quick search and at the start of the season just gone only Hughes and Wagner where striker from all the mangers and both got the sack,
    Warnock was a winger ,

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hazard gone.

Loftus Cheek,Hudson Odoi long term in injuries,Transfer Ban, A few aging players past their best in Luiz,Willian,Pedro,Azpilcueta.

Huge job for Lampard.

Getting in could be a good move to just keep the fans happy for a season , Chelsea fans would be delighted to start the season with him ,

Is there any Prem manger currently who finished there playing days as forwards ?

Hmmm feels you are trying to get at someone extremely specific. Interesting caveats from the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

said it a year or 2 ago , that Abramovich seams to be losing interest in Chelsea, when they bought Drinkwater and were linked with Peter Couch - then the new stadium postponed indefinitly - now they lose ther manager and best player when they have a transfer ban upon them - this is not the ambitious Chelsea of the past 20 years .

Hmmm feels you are trying to get at someone extremely specific. Interesting caveats from the OP.

What you mean ?

ahhhhh I actually forget about Ole ,

Its just of odd there are very little striker's as mangers currently but as someone pointed out some the greatest manger's In the past where strikers
    So who is to say Ole won't turn out to be one of them ,

I wasn't having a dig as there is no possible way to make a dig out of it,

What you mean ?

ahhhhh I actually forget about Ole ,

Its just of odd there are very little striker's as mangers currently but as someone pointed out some the greatest manger's In the past where strikers
    So who is to say Ole won't turn out to be one of them ,

I wasn't having a dig as there is no possible way to make a dig out of it,

Is Klopp no longer a manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I reckon the head at Chelsea might see this as almost a free shot of a season,
    The transfer ban kind of makes it an odd season for them ,
    Very hard to attract a top manger with no new players and the sale of Hazard,

Frank would not cost the world and they would get a good idea of how good he is and either keep him for next year or just let him go in the summer,

Yeah could be nothing to lose for either party. Unsure if they'd make CL though

• Advertisement

Is Klopp no longer a manager?

He is but spent the majority of his career as CB , Ye he started as a striker but from 95 to 2001 he was CB

Do you count Gareth Bale as left back or a winger ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hazard gone.

Huge job for Lampard.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Pulisic gets on. I think he'll do very well in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

From what I can gather, a lot of Chelsea fans wanted Sarri out for a long time (one reason as he had never won anything), then don't want Allegri in at all (who has won loads) and now want Lampard in (who has won nothing and only one season of management).

It's really baffling. He has zero credentials. Lost the play off final at a club who are losing play offs every other season for about 5 years. It's a bad a appointment as Ole. But they have more time to plan for it and not a panic move like Ole was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Big risk for Lampard taking that job so early as well because while I'm sure it's a dream job for him, I'm also sure he probably felt he wouldn't get a chance at until a few years down the line while he built up his managerial CV. If he crashes and burns next season he might not get a shot at that job again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Rafa leaves Newcastle

• Advertisement

• cjmc wrote: »
    Rafa leaves Newcastle

Big blow for them, but the board are to blame I'd suspect

Newcastle would be a good bet for relegation this coming season now IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Huge blow for Newcastle, certain to be relegated if Ashley doesn't sell up or invest serious funds into the squad.

Rafa to Chelsea maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Big blow for them, but the board are to blame I'd suspect

Newcastle would be a good bet for relegation this coming season now IMO

Refuses to work under Ashley. The club been sold was the only way he would stay on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ridiculous from Newcastle. They are signing a death-knell there, especially with the players they have. An up and coming manager doesn't exactly have the strongest of bases to build upon to be fair.

Rafa could do a job for a number of PL teams. There are 2 or 3 of the top 6 teams included in that.

cjmc wrote: »
    Rafa leaves Newcastle

He can be in charge in Old Traford at Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

He can be in charge in Old Traford at Christmas

Considering the affiliation with Liverpool, I don't see him ever going to United.

United not as big rivals as Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thought he'd stay tbh. For no other reason but he loves life in England as his family have stayed there. Also shows that the "takeover" at Newcastle is likely the latest load of b0llocks to come from the Ashley.
    Could be staring at their 3rd relegation under him & how they didn't agree to buy Rondon months ago is another mystery to me.
    Their key man last season when he played well they played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If I was Ed Woodward right now I'd be asking around for Rafa's phone number.

• rob316 wrote: »
    Refuses to work under Ashley. The club been sold was the only way he would stay on.

Who could blame the man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If I was Ed Woodward right now I'd be asking around for Rafa's phone number.

Rafas style of football wouldn't be viewed as attractive enough for Utd.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement