Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Give it ta hughesy till end of season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is he not getting Steve Bruce???

(Yes it is 2019)

Now he is, but Big Sam has already confirmed that he has already turned it down.
    Give it ta hughesy till end of season

I'm just waiting for Kinnear to be brought back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Meanwhile Chris Hughton is looking for a job, perfect fit for current Newcastle set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Patser wrote: »
    Meanwhile Chris Hughton is looking for a job, perfect fit for current Newcastle set up.

I hope you're being sarcastic :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Patser wrote: »
    Any decent manager should avoid that job like the plague. Ashley has set up a doomed scenario for anyone who takes charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

we all (or most of us) give out about our club a lot - but when you watch the Mike Asley show at Newcastle most of us can be grateful for our team - Havn't seen such a shambles at a club since Hull a few years ago , and they went down and were a tiny club in comparison - the other common dominator is Steve Bruce

Any decent manager should avoid that job like the plague. Ashley has set up a doomed scenario for anyone who takes charge.

Hughton already met his destiny with Mike Ashley in 2010, got the sack after getting Newcastle into a pretty decent position. No chance he'd be in anyway interested in that job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gary Monk is free he likes a good 6 month job before quitting or getting sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gary Monk is free he likes a good 6 month job before quitting or getting sacked.

As long as his agent gets a slice of all transfer deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

If Bruce gets the job the damage will be done by Christmas, he'll be sacked and walk away with a pay off leaving the next manager to pick up the pieces.

It's more so now than it ever used to be but the beginning and end of success of any football club is entirely down to the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Ashely doesn't have any connection with Newcastle though does he?. I can understand the likes of Abramovic who has virtually limitless wealth having a pet project or the Oil Sheiks but Ashley doesn't have anywhere near that kind of cash. He's using it as a cash cow somehow.
    It's happening a fair bit with clubs being run as businesses. Utd probably being the worst affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Ashely doesn't have any connection with Newcastle though does he?. I can understand the likes of Abramovic who has virtually limitless wealth having a pet project or the Oil Sheiks but Ashley doesn't have anywhere near that kind of cash. He's using it as a cash cow somehow.
    It's happening a fair bit with clubs being run as businesses. Utd probably being the worst affected.

Newcastle are basically an advertising board for SportsDirect I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Hughton already met his destiny with Mike Ashley in 2010, got the sack after getting Newcastle into a pretty decent position. No chance he'd be in anyway interested in that job

Christ, yeah I forgot Hughton was already messed around by Ashley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

pjohnson wrote: »

They send you a jug of a cup for tae though when you order off them.
    Quality of the clothes were ****e but i still have the mug of a cup.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Possibly old news, but I just saw earlier that teams tied on points next season will be separated by head to head in the PL from this coming season. Brings it into line other competitions I suppose. Pity that wasn't in place a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

AidoEirE wrote: »
    They send you a jug of a cup for tae though when you order off them.
    Quality of the clothes were ****e but i still have the mug of a cup.

I think you pay for that tea mug wee extra 50p people will not untick the box though that may have changed with all the recent data laws and people reading more into term before clicking on buy buttons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The level of sponsorship they are missing out on is huge between stadium naming rights and shirt sponsor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

5starpool wrote: »
    Possibly old news, but I just saw earlier that teams tied on points next season will be separated by head to head in the PL from this coming season. Brings it into line other competitions I suppose. Pity that wasn't in place a few years ago.

Is that only after if they are equal on GD aswell, or does it apply before GD?

I think the GD format of separating teams is fair in a league campaign as it bases on 37 games, not 2.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Is that only after if they are equal on GD aswell, or does it apply before GD?

I think the GD format of separating teams is fair in a league campaign as it bases on 37 games, not 2.

Not sure the article seems to say that head to head will be the decider but later it says head to head would only come into if the teams are laying even on points, GD and goals scored.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1262217

Head-to-head records
    If two or more clubs finish level in the table when competing for the title or European qualification, or when relegation is at stake, their records in the head-to-head matches will now be used to separate them.

In previous seasons, teams involved in these specific battles who finished with the same points total, goal difference and number of goals scored would be pitted against each other in a playoff.

But that extra match is now less likely.

In 2019/20 the team who have collected the most points in the head-to-head duels between the sides lying level on points, goal difference and number of goals scored, will take the highest finishing position, while the team with the fewest will take the lowest place.

If clubs still cannot be separated, the team who scored the most goals away from home in the head-to-head matches will get the highest position.

Only if the clubs remain level in the table after this will a playoff be arranged, at a neutral ground, with the format, timing and venue being determined by the Premier League Board.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not sure the article seems to say that head to head will be the decider but later it says head to head would only come into if the teams are laying even on points, GD and goals scored.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1262217

Head-to-head records
    If two or more clubs finish level in the table when competing for the title or European qualification, or when relegation is at stake, their records in the head-to-head matches will now be used to separate them.

In previous seasons, teams involved in these specific battles who finished with the same points total, goal difference and number of goals scored would be pitted against each other in a playoff.

But that extra match is now less likely.

In 2019/20 the team who have collected the most points in the head-to-head duels between the sides lying level on points, goal difference and number of goals scored, will take the highest finishing position, while the team with the fewest will take the lowest place.

If clubs still cannot be separated, the team who scored the most goals away from home in the head-to-head matches will get the highest position.

Only if the clubs remain level in the table after this will a playoff be arranged, at a neutral ground, with the format, timing and venue being determined by the Premier League Board.

Ah that's very different. I should have known to take anything the click bait rubbish paper that is the Liverpool echo seriously.

Maybe it said just this in the article, but with all the ads and other crap it's hard to read.

I think you pay for that tea mug wee extra 50p people will not untick the box though that may have changed with all the recent data laws and people reading more into term before clicking on buy buttons

50p worth it :D

*Ashley still a bollix*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood wrote: »

In reality will this change anything? I've heard of this type thing happening before but never makes a difference?

In reality will this change anything? I've heard of this type thing happening before but never makes a difference?

I'd imagine it'll probably have a big enough impact on the particularly-easy options like set-top-boxes... they'll probably be simple enough to cut out en masse. They'll never be able to keep up with the myriad web-based streaming options though.

I wonder will they clamp down on all matches, or just the ones competing with televised coverage - like, will be Villa against West Ham be blocked for instance, if it's not one of the televised options anyway?

As with all these things anyway, the problem won't go away until a viable, affordable viewing option is provided.

Just use a VPN which you should be anyway regardless.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Just use a VPN which you should be anyway regardless.

Totally, but the majority of those using easy-streamable options won't have a notion what that is, or how to use it. Those are the ones that will get locked out en-masse. Fair enough really - make people work a bit for their piracy :p

Use NordVPN official sponsors of Liverpool FC.

Will it hell, very easy to stream anthing niw, just covering their arses no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’d pay €50 a month to watch the football. But not €50 to 3/4 different providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

doc_17 wrote: »
    I’d pay €50 a month to watch the football. But not €50 to 3/4 different providers.

If I got to watch all my teams games I'd consider it. I don't particularly want to watch Burnley and Sheffield United so it's a pain I have to pay for it if I want to watch a few Liverpool games.

• Advertisement

Newcastle 3-0 down after 40mins against Wolves.....

Newcastle 3-0 down after 40mins against Wolves.....

Bruce out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Bruce out..

If anyone could get sacked before the season starts Bruce would be a good bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think whatever TV package the PL take, it will have to be an 'all-team' pack.

It's easy say for fans of the top teams to say we'll pay €150e a season just to watch their team and multiply that by 10,000,000 other who would pay that to watch every game and then take in some live matches in addition to that during the season to satisfy their needs. The clubs get the bums on seats, and also the TV revenue

The smaller teams, I'll just say Bournemouth for example, would only have around 50,000 fans anyways so even if all their fans paid the money, and then didn't watch the game on TV as they are at the ground, the revenue would be way smaller.

I think the PL needs an equal sharing TV money pool, but there should be the match choice option that other stations such as NBC in USA have.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think whatever TV package the PL take, it will have to be an 'all-team' pack.

It's easy say for fans of the top teams to say we'll pay €150e a season just to watch their team and multiply that by 10,000,000 other who would pay that to watch every game and then take in some live matches in addition to that during the season to satisfy their needs. The clubs get the bums on seats, and also the TV revenue

The smaller teams, I'll just say Bournemouth for example, would only have around 50,000 fans anyways so even if all their fans paid the money, and then didn't watch the game on TV as they are at the ground, the revenue would be way smaller.

I think the PL needs an equal sharing TV money pool, but there should be the match choice option that other stations such as NBC in USA have.

Could still let you buy a club package to show all their games than split the money 25% to the club and 75% to the shared pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Could still let you buy a club package to show all their games than split the money 25% to the club and 75% to the shared pool.

The issue is that for any changes to be agreed, 14 of the 20 clubs need to vote for it. There is always going to be 8-10 PL teams (maybe even more) that stand to benefit more from the shared pool than selling their own rights individually, or accepting smaller resources on the basis of the big 6 getting a bigger cut.

Liverpool or Man United might make massive money even if they did give 25% back to the rest but the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Sheffield United, Norwich, Palace, etc would almost certainly be worse off.

The consumer appears to not have benefitted one iota - more TV games and more TV companies should mean competition and competitive prices. Instead, it has meant that the schedules are carved up, spread among 3, 4 or more providers, competitions are split across platforms and you end up paying through the nose to access everything, missing out or streaming.

It just becomes more complex when the likes of Amazon, Facebook and YouTube get involved - Sky and BT can strike a sharing deal where you can get both because they ultimately have the same aims: get people to buy our TV, broadband packages. But Amazon want you on Prime to buy everything from them, god knows what Facebook or YouTube want, so they don't necessarily care if you have a TV sub, etc.

In Spain, clubs can sell their own rights and the result is a colossal gap between the top and the rest. The PL deal has been an effort to minimise the same but the consumer appears to not have benefitted one iota - more TV games and more TV companies should mean competition and competitive prices. Instead, it has meant that the schedules are carved up, spread among 3, 4 or more providers, competitions are split across platforms and you end up paying through the nose to access everything, missing out or streaming.

/quote]

Nope Spain have had a pooled tv rights deal for la liga for years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

rob316 wrote: »
    Nope Spain have had a pooled tv rights deal for la liga for years now

Ah fair enough - just reading up on it now. Will change my post.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2019/01/06/1-5b-in-tv-rights-fees-barcelona-real-madrid-and-16-other-teams-bank-record-payouts-from-la-liga/#e0ba4fa5eb9e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Not sure this is the best place to ask this but whats with the sport bras that seem to be all the fashion now? Just saw a video of the new United signing wearing one, picture of what I'm talking about here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110702488&postcount=8843
    advanced fitbit type monitoring or something?

bohsman wrote: »
    Not sure this is the best place to ask this but whats with the sport bras that seem to be all the fashion now? Just saw a video of the new United signing wearing one, picture of what I'm talking about here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110702488&postcount=8843

Expected to see picture of a female player... wasn't wrong :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bohsman wrote: »

They would usually be weighted and used during training to build upper body strength

Although I have seen weighted ones previously I Had a quick Google.. the new ones are sports trackers.. they also track body movement along with heart rate and stats etc

3pm TV Games in Ireland

launch-web-page-v2.jpg

Arsenal fans will not be happy with the tag line of watch the big 6 and they are not there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

How are Premier Sports going to handle showing all those games listed below at once??

The ones in December I'm talking about

ERG89 wrote: »
    How are Premier Sports going to handle showing all those games listed below at once??

The ones in December I'm talking about

Mid week ones will be the killer, maybe a red button, later ones at Christmas will have different kick off times and spread over 2 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That Man City away strip is atrocious.

https://twitter.com/smhjaames/status/1154457329720582146?s=19

Kolasnic defending Ozils car better than he's ever defended the Arsenal goal ;)

Pep really hyping up Foden today saying he is the most most most talented player he has ever seen in his career as a player or manager.

That's some praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Pep really hyping up Foden today saying he is the most most most talented player he has ever seen in his career as a player or manager.

That's some praise.

Weird stuff. Maybe if he'd said most talented midfielder of his age or something like that. Has he forgotten Messi?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Whats he’s supposed to say? That he had the potential to be the next Steve McManamen or Stewart Downing if thats what he really thinks

Peps style is to big up his players, he probably said similar about Gai Assulin and Bojan back in the day, who knows how good Foden will end up but there’s no one right way to approach it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Whats he’s supposed to say? That he had the potential to be the next Steve McManamen or Stewart Downing if thats what he really thinks

Peps style is to big up his players, he probably said similar about Gai Assulin and Bojan back in the day, who knows how good Foden will end up but there’s no one right way to approach it

McManaman was a class player!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement