Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa-e

Options

Comments

samih wrote: »
    =we don't want to sell this in volume yet but target the geeks and celebrities who buy one as greenwash PR.

You hit the nail on the head, of course they don't want to sell in large numbers, it will eat into much more profitable ICE sales. The same for any PSA brand EV, though in fairness, there probably wouldn't be an EV Corsa at all if it was still owned by GM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You hit the nail on the head, of course they don't want to sell in large numbers, it will eat into much more profitable ICE sales. The same for any PSA brand EV, though in fairness, there probably wouldn't be an EV Corsa at all if it was still owned by GM.

There wouldn't as they already make the Chevy Bolt, which is a better car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

n97 mini wrote: »

The Opel Ampera-e was a terrible supermini.

n97 mini wrote: »

Yeah, actually I forgot about the Bolt, it was ahead of it's time but limited volume not sold outside the U.S. as far as I remember, Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Yeah, actually I forgot about the Bolt, it was ahead of it's time but limited volume not sold outside the U.S. as far as I remember, Shame.

You're half right. Was/is sold as the Ampera-e outside the US, but only in LHD form. Was never made in RHD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Fully Charged review of the Corsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had a test drive a few days ago just to see how it drove. Have to say I was pretty impressed. It handles well' is quite nippy and responsive up to 80 dies a bit after that on the 80 to 120 test but still not bad.

Interior is good for its class and it's surprisingly roomy for a supermini. Didn't get into pricing so don't know if it's good enough value for money. The Id3 is probably a better buy and the 208 is better looking outside and in. Will get pricing another day but I'd say we'll wait for the El Born.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭sekond

I've just taken the plunge and put a deposit on one. It was the goldilocks car for me - all the other were either too big or too small, the corsa e was just right!

I was pretty impressed with the car and how it drove, but seeing as I'm coming from an ancient Toyota Corrolla, it was always going to be a pleasure to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

sekond wrote: »
    I've just taken the plunge and put a deposit on one. It was the goldilocks car for me - all the other were either too big or too small, the corsa e was just right!

I was pretty impressed with the car and how it drove, but seeing as I'm coming from an ancient Toyota Corrolla, it was always going to be a pleasure to drive.

Hi.
    Did you get yours yet?

I ordered one a couple of days ago. Dealer said it can take a couple of weeks for the grant to come through. Seems like there is plenty of stock in ireland but apparantly waiting on the grant.

Are you getting the free charger installed through opel?

Thanks

Jimjay wrote: »
    Hi.
    Did you get yours yet?

I ordered one a couple of days ago. Dealer said it can take a couple of weeks for the grant to come through. Seems like there is plenty of stock in ireland but apparantly waiting on the grant.

Thanks

I'm hoping to get it in the next day or so. Apparently it is with the dealer, but he's just waiting for confirmation on the grant to come through before he registers it.

I'm getting the free charger installed, but no detail on that yet as I only got letter of offer through today, so need to organise that next.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping to get it in the next day or so. Apparently it is with the dealer, but he's just waiting for confirmation on the grant to come through before he registers it.

I'm getting the free charger installed, but no detail on that yet as I only got letter of offer through today, so need to organise that next.

Cool. Did you get quote for insurance yet? I was trying to find out if it would make much difference to premium but cant get a reg number to try it and its hard to get through to my insurer on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Jimjay wrote: »

What charge point are they providing for free?

Do they do the entire thing including the €600 grant application and providing an electrician etc for you?

KCross wrote: »
    What charge point are they providing for free?

Do they do the entire thing including the €600 grant application and providing an electrician etc for you?

Supplied and fitted all in. (Have to change provider to energia) Apparently dealer arranges grant too.
    Just says smart charger. Dont know much about it.

For the charger - you pay the €600 and get the grant yourself. The person I spoke to didn't know about what sort of charger it was, but I'm expecting a call back tomorrow from someone who has more detail.

In my case I wasn't too bothered about the type of charger, we have a very basic requirement, no power shower, no solar etc, so I'm happy enough to get it all dealt with for the €600 for the grant.

Edited to add - I just remembered I'd seen a picture on the website - went back to look and it's an EO of some type.

ok, one of these guys then...
    https://www.eocharging.com/home-charging

Well, its sitting in my driveway and I'm very pleased. The drive home was lovely.

The only difficulty so far is that I'm so used to the ancient technology of my old car that I've so far managed to set the alarm off twice, couldn't get the parking brake on, and I'm not entirely confident that I'm even turning the car off right!!

Well, it seems not everything is smooth sailing. There is an issue with the key not working properly (locking it means the alarm goes for 5 minutes and then in can't be unlocked by the fob, you have to use the physical key).

Added to the fact that the dealer only had 50km worth of charge in it when I collected it. In my innocence I thought that was more than enough to get me to a charging station and home again (it got me there, but for the life of me I couldn't get the car to charge and the alarm kept going off , so I limped home with about 10km to spare). Its currently (I think/hope) charging with a granny cable and the dealer has promised to sort out the issues in the morning.

Not the finest start to my electric car owning experience...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Well, it seems not everything is smooth sailing. There is an issue with the key not working properly (locking it means the alarm goes for 5 minutes and then in can't be unlocked by the fob, you have to use the physical key).

Added to the fact that the dealer only had 50km worth of charge in it when I collected it. In my innocence I thought that was more than enough to get me to a charging station and home again (it got me there, but for the life of me I couldn't get the car to charge and the alarm kept going off , so I limped home with about 10km to spare). Its currently (I think/hope) charging with a granny cable and the dealer has promised to sort out the issues in the morning.

Not the finest start to my electric car owning experience...!

I hope your experience with EV's improve. Your start is not the normal experience and i suspect that it has a lot to do with a inexperienced dealer network.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well, its sitting in my driveway and I'm very pleased. The drive home was lovely.

The only difficulty so far is that I'm so used to the ancient technology of my old car that I've so far managed to set the alarm off twice, couldn't get the parking brake on, and I'm not entirely confident that I'm even turning the car off right!!

Photos!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

It's a beautiful piece of sculpture, isn't it?!

(Dealer coming in next hour to take it away and check it, they suspect an issue with the set up - on top of all the other issues, after 6 hours attached to the granny charger the battery has actually decreased and is now at less than 5%)

I can already hear my highly sceptical mother saying "I told you so".

• Advertisement

It's a beautiful piece of sculpture, isn't it?!

You have done an amazing job of photographing a good looking car and making it look like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down :D

Good luck with the car!

krissovo wrote: »
    You have done an amazing job of photographing a good looking car and making it look like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down :D

:D:D I'm not known for my photography skills...! It is a very good looking car despite my photo. Hopefully I'll actually get to drive it soon!

There is something wrong for sure if all those hours granny charging has led to a drop in charge.
    I hope the dealer knows what's going on for your sake....

slave1 wrote: »
    There is something wrong for sure if all those hours granny charging has led to a drop in charge.
    I hope the dealer knows what's going on for your sake....

Me too. I intentionally went with a dealer that has some experience with electric cars (they do Nissan also), but that doesn't seem to have worked in my favour.

My ancient bullet proof corolla is looking very attractive right now.

... after 6 hours attached to the granny charger the battery has actually decreased and is now at less than 5%

And did the car show that it was charging during that time?

Dont know about the Corsa but most EV's have a series of flashing lights on the dash to show that it is charging and the progress it is making. Did you see those?

If not, it might just be a case that the car has a timer enabled or something preventing it from charging so while you have it plugged in its not actually charging.

The dealer should really have taken you through more of this rather than letting you loose without a proper run through of it. It doesnt do EV adoption any good! :)

Me too. I intentionally went with a dealer that has some experience with electric cars (they do Nissan also), but that doesn't seem to have worked in my favour.

My ancient bullet proof corolla is looking very attractive right now.

Where are you based, someone might be local and give you a crash course (that should of been given by the dealer)

KCross wrote: »
    And did the car show that it was charging during that time?

Dont know about the Corsa but most EV's have a series of flashing lights on the dash to show that it is charging and the progress it is making. Did you see those?

If not, it might just be a case that the car has a timer enabled or something preventing it from charging so while you have it plugged in its not actually charging.

The dealer should really have taken you through more of this rather than letting you loose without a proper run through of it. It doesnt do EV adoption any good! :)

It did. Flashing green light where it was plugged in, and said on the dash that it was charging (but at a rate of 0km per hour). I think to be honest, the sales person was more comfortable with the Leaf, and assumed I knew what I was doing... and I thought I knew what I was doing too!

It has been taken back now, so hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it soon.

liamog wrote: »
    Where are you based, someone might be local and give you a crash course (that should of been given by the dealer)

I'm in Wicklow.

I hung around a bit longer at the Coyne's Cross charger yesterday evening when everything was going wrong, in the vague hopes that someone might come to charge and be able to help me out! But I'm beginning to think that my issue with the charger may have actually been due to whatever is wrong with the car.

I think Bjorn Nyland had similar issues with the corsa, if I recall correctly he had to reset the 12v a couple of times during his testing.

• Advertisement

Flashing green light where it was plugged in, and said on the dash that it was charging (but at a rate of 0km per hour).

Wasn't charging so

Advertisement